Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 AM

I received several PMs asking me what my GC statement was and instead of answering them all separately...

"My" Good Cause statement revolved around my profession. I am often in isolated and rural areas of CA and the gist of my GC stated that I usually work solo and am fearful for my safety.

The list of GC statements provided by CGF is a great reference... there is one example that was almost exactly what "my" GC was.

Livescan is scheduled for next week. Thanks CGF!
Old 02-06-2011, 9:30 PM

Smile

I alao attended the Dixon event. Applied on the 18th of jan, was called back and completed live scan the following week. Things are looking better in Solano county.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Can anyone give me some pointers on a good cause statement?

A little about about me, I'm a 28yr old law abiding citizen with no criminal records at all. I'm not a LEO, CO, etc however I did attend a police academy 2 years ago. My only reason for applying for a ccw besides the alarming rise of violence in the place I reside (Vallejo) would be the honest truth of "protection for my family and myself as I refuse to be a victim of senseless crimes". Would this stand a chance? My forms are almost ready to go pending a good cause statement. Any help via pm will help. Thanks calguns.
Old 02-09-2011, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon671 View Post
Can anyone give me some pointers on a good cause statement?
Review the posted Solano GC statements. A link was posted on the 1st and 2nd pages of this thread. You should also review this thread in its entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon671 View Post
A little about about me, I'm a 28yr old law abiding citizen with no criminal records at all. I'm not a LEO, CO, etc however I did attend a police academy 2 years ago. My only reason for applying for a ccw besides the alarming rise of violence in the place I reside (Vallejo) would be the honest truth of "protection for my family and myself as I refuse to be a victim of senseless crimes". Would this stand a chance? My forms are almost ready to go pending a good cause statement. Any help via pm will help. Thanks calguns.
Your GC would be "self-defense" just like most people's here. Acceptance of that by ALL CA counties is a major goal of the Initiative.

But, per Gray's post a week or so ago in another thread, most things are now on hold pending the outcome of a case or two that we're all waiting for. There are good odds one or more of those cases will be decided before May. That's why you'll come across many references to "having a sandwich and taking a nap". We're all trying to keep our minds off of it for awhile otherwise the suspense will kill us!

But the bottom line, last I heard, was that we expect most counties to accept SD as GC before this time next year. Some holdouts may take until 2013.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-09-2011 at 6:42 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 8:42 AM

It's been 33 days since my livescan appointment. I've heard nothing from Paulette yet. I've read a couple of posts that say the SO is being hit with a lot of CCW apps and others that mention that some things are "on hold". I am determined to be patient about this but 33 days for a background check seems like a long time. As I remember, the application paperwork says they can take up to 90 days or 30 days from the completion of the background check, whichever is longer.
Old 02-11-2011, 8:34 PM

Thanks for the update, thorsmith59. Hope you don't have to wait much longer. It is consistent with what I've heard, "be patient", there are important things going on beside CCW, and CCW processing is not front burner material.

Not knowing "when" is tough. Unlike the 10 day waiting period where you know to the minute when you can pick up your firearm.
Old 02-14-2011, 1:41 PM

Quick question. I submitted my CCW application to the Solano SD on 10 Dec, and had my livescan done on 22 Dec. According to what I've been reading, they have 30 days from the livescan or 90 days from application submission to reply. If this is correct, I should be hearing from them before roughly 10 Mar..

If I don't get a response by then, should I give them a call and ask the status, or should I let you guys know? Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-14-2011, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimz View Post
Quick question. I submitted my CCW application to the Solano SD on 10 Dec, and had my livescan done on 22 Dec. According to what I've been reading, they have 30 days from the livescan or 90 days from application submission to reply. If this is correct, I should be hearing from them before roughly 10 Mar..

If I don't get a response by then, should I give them a call and ask the status, or should I let you guys know? Thanks for the advice!
I believe it says 30 days from the completion of your background check ( which is not necessarily the same as the livescan which is almost instant) or 90 days from the submission of your app, whichever is longer. This leaves a lot of fudge room in my opinion.

I'm in the same boat. Its been about 5 weeks since my livescan.
Old 02-18-2011, 1:03 AM

Default Planning to apply for CCW in Solano County

Moved to CA few months ago and am ready to apply for the concealed carry in Vacaville, Solano County. Any advice on what to write/do and what not to would be greatly appreciated. I hear it's been getting a bit easier in Solano recently.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2011, 4:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Look in the Solano County sub-forum of the Second Amendment forum.
Old 02-18-2011, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
Look in the Solano County sub-forum of the Second Amendment forum.
And here it is... Solano County
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 02-22-2011, 3:48 PM

Paulette called today telling me to move on to step 3 (training and qualification)! It took a while, but they stayed within the 90 day window. Almost there!

Does anyone recommend one of the 3 training groups in particular? I don't want to sit through 16 hours of some dude spouting FUD.
Old 02-22-2011, 5:49 PM

I also received a call from Paulette today. She left a message and I have to call her back tomorrow but I assume it will be good news as it says in the app that if you are denied it will be by mail.

I know two people who have recently used the Baptist Security Training and they both recommend him. He also is the most inexpensive at $150, I believe.

Old 02-23-2011, 9:36 AM

Two of my friends took their training from Dave Adams and said that he did a great job.
Old 02-25-2011, 7:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Brandon, any progress in getting more than two pistols listed on our permits?
Old 02-28-2011, 8:11 PM

Default Solano County

Hello everyone. I'm a resident of and work in Solano County. I've seen a few success stories here on the forums from people who have gotten a ccw permit in Solano lately, and it's encouraging me to give it a try. I don't work in a situation where I deal with large sums of money or valuables, and I don't have a stalker or threats on my life, but in my opinion, why should one have to wait to be in the threat of danger before receiving a permit, right? After all, it makes as much sense as getting an insurance policy only after disaster strikes.

Anyhow, I was wondering if people on the forums would be kind enough to offer me advice as to what chances a common law-abiding citizen like myself would have of being issued a permit? For those of you that have one (particularly in Solano) did you have to give any extra cause other than simply self defense?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 7:52 AM

For your good cause, I suggest reviewing the list of good cause statements that have already been accepted by the Solano SD and tailor yours to whichever closely resembles your situation. Solano is generally good about self defense, but they won't accept simply "self defense". Go into detail why you feel the need for self defense. For example, I don't have any of the "good cause" reasons, but I listed driving alone long distances at night, hiking in the mountains, and a general self defense statement. I suggest making a statement attesting to your aptitude with firearms, your maturity, and general dislike for violence or escilation... last resort, etc. Again, tailor it to your situation, as this is for mine.

This is all from my experience, so take it for the $.02 it's worth.
Old 03-01-2011, 9:43 AM

EDIT: nevermind, i got a call from Paulette this morning .... woohoo!

i had my livescan done on Jan 21st.... i should be hearing from paulette soon then? it is over a month already.... im being patient.

Last edited by kennmark; 03-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Brandon, any progress in getting more than two pistols listed on our permits?
It's on the radar but a few other items are up first. Stay tuned.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-04-2011, 2:52 PM

Default Fees?

How much are the, Sheriff's, fees? Do I just put a check in with the Application?

Thanks,
Old 03-04-2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
How much are the, Sheriff's, fees? Do I just put a check in with the Application?

Thanks,
You don't pay any fees until they evaluate your good cause statement and determine that you are okay to proceed to the background check. Make sure you call Paulette and get the packet from her and it'll save you a lot of questions. She initially seemed a little upset with me that I had downloaded the packet and hadn't gotten it from her.
Old 03-04-2011, 3:46 PM

Smile Downhill from here:-)

Well I completed my training and dropped off my paperwork today. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon. It has been about 66 days since I started the process.
Old 03-04-2011, 4:53 PM

Congrats thor!

I did my training last week and dropped of my paperwork on the 24th. I got a call yesterday telling me I'm done! I just have to take a picture and thumbprint on Wed and it's finished!!!

Application submitted 10 Dec, final permit appointment on 9 Mar. I'm looking forward to some WW nachos!

Question: Do they issue the permit on the spot, or is it sent in the mail?

Last edited by Zimz; 03-04-2011 at 4:56 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimz View Post
Congrats thor!

I did my training last week and dropped of my paperwork on the 24th. I got a call yesterday telling me I'm done! I just have to take a picture and thumbprint on Wed and it's finished!!!

Application submitted 10 Dec, final permit appointment on 9 Mar. I'm looking forward to some WW nachos!

Question: Do they issue the permit on the spot, or is it sent in the mail?
Congrats zimz. When Purplek got his pic taken he left with the permit in hand.
Old 03-05-2011, 1:35 AM

you go home with permit..... congrats.

im training next week, then i'll drop it off right away.
Old 03-05-2011, 1:35 AM

you go home with permit..... congrats.

im training next week, then i'll drop it off right away.
Old 03-05-2011, 3:08 PM

Default 60 permit apps this week??

Just remembered something I wanted to pass on. When I dropped off my targets and training info, It was mentioned that they are dealing with about 60 permits "this week". Makes me wonder how many have been issued lately.
Old 03-05-2011, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Sixty!!! This could be a good source of revenue for the county.
Old 03-06-2011, 9:08 PM

Default solano county good cause statement

I need some help with my good cause statement in solano county. I'm not a business owner, have a clean record well I got a dui in 2000, but I work on a bad street and want to be able to carry for protection. Can anyone who has been through the process in solano county recently help me out or give me a heads up on what to expect or what they used as a good cause?

I see a lot of info for other counties but none for solano.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

See above, the last 3 pages of threads have the info you want..
Old 03-07-2011, 7:16 PM

So I downloaded an application and am now writing up a rough draft of a good cause statement. I think I read earlier in this thread that brandon or gray might be able to help me out. I think I know who Gray is, but not sure who brandon is. Can you guys (or anyone else who can help me) send me a PM so I know who to talk to?

Also, does anyone know if there will be another event like the one in Dixon a little while back?
Old 03-07-2011, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcolin81 View Post
So I downloaded an application and am now writing up a rough draft of a good cause statement. I think I read earlier in this thread that brandon or gray might be able to help me out. I think I know who Gray is, but not sure who brandon is. Can you guys (or anyone else who can help me) send me a PM so I know who to talk to?

Also, does anyone know if there will be another event like the one in Dixon a little while back?
PM wildhawker...
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM

DONE!! Picked up my permit today! Thank you CGF for all the advice!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Congrats Zimz!!! Nachos time!
Old 03-10-2011, 6:47 PM

Hey Zimz, if you need someone to go with you on your nacho run and start shouting "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!", lemme know:-)
Old 03-10-2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Hey Zimz, if you need someone to go with you on your nacho run and start shouting "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!", lemme know:-)
Yeah... thanks for the offer but I'll be okay.
Old 03-12-2011, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsmith59 View Post
I'll make that same offer to you.... Lol

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 03-14-2011, 7:57 AM

Quote:
I'll make that same offer to you.... Lol
I'm sure you will:-)
Old 03-16-2011, 8:15 PM

Default More questions?

Do I need complete a 16 hour class before submitting the application?
Also, do I need to submit a DMV printout?
Old 03-17-2011, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Do I need complete a 16 hour class before submitting the application?
Nope, Solano SD won't accept any money or sign you up for any class until your initial application is approved.

Quote:
Also, do I need to submit a DMV printout?
You will need a DMV print out with your application. The information packet you get with the application should go into detail on how that's obtained.