Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-07-2013, 4:14 PM

Default Time for Live Scan return

My application has been approved so far for my CCW in Placer County and I'm now to the Live Scan portion. From the Sheriff's website it says "We have been informed by the Department of Justice that due to the high volume of gun sales, all background checks and live scan results will be delayed. As they come in we will process them as quickly as we can and mail out your permits." I've been told not to question how long, but I wondered if anyone here has gone through this process recently and recall how long it took them. Has it been days, weeks or months? I know there is nothing I can do to speed up the process and I have no reason to be impatient other than it is just natural to feel impatient.
Old 08-07-2013, 9:17 PM

A buddy of mine has been waiting for over what I believe has been about 5 weeks for the results of his Live Scan for his Sacramento County CCW. Two years ago mine took two weeks. The Attorney General is purposely ignoring the demand and purposely not diverting the necessary resources to meet the demand due to personal bias against guns. Attorney Generals in this state, as long as it fits the Liberal agenda are allowed to ignore the law and the will of the people and do what ever they want. I will call him tomorrow and get an updated on how long it has been. I will update you.

Last edited by wweigle; 08-07-2013 at 9:20 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on getting approved in Placer. I know a few people who have been denied.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 08-08-2013, 5:43 AM
Veteran Member

The range of live scan completion (until electronic transmission of results to the issuing agency), based on info from threads over the last two, two and a half years, is something like 4 days to 6 months. I haven't heard of any at the low end of that range for quite a long time. I wouldn't bother scouring the threads to try to calculate an average. Just know that waits of a month or two are not uncommon. My live scan process took about a month and a half just for electronic transmission. The hard copy letter to the issuing agency took another month after that. This was in 2011.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-08-2013 at 5:46 AM..
Old 08-08-2013, 9:30 AM

Got my Livescan July 2. Have heard nothing as of yet.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Placer contacted me 5 weeks after lives can, gave me a apt 2weeks later to come print and sign permit. Once sheriff signs they mail it out. I have been waiting on the last part ( receiving it in the mail) for about 3 weeks.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolley View Post
Placer contacted me 5 weeks after lives can, gave me a apt 2weeks later to come print and sign permit. Once sheriff signs they mail it out. I have been waiting on the last part ( receiving it in the mail) for about 3 weeks.
And another question; If you have applied, have passed your background check, have provided your training cert, have already thumb-printed and signed your license,...why are you waiting for the Sheriff to sign it and post it in the mail? What bureaucratic toilet flop is keeping them from issuing the license the moment you finish printing and signing it if you have already completed the application process?

Locally, the S/O stamps the Sheriff's signature on the license and mine was issued to me by the clerk rolling prints. No three week wait and see.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRN18 View Post
My application has been approved so far for my CCW in Placer County and I'm now to the Live Scan portion. From the Sheriff's website it says "We have been informed by the Department of Justice that due to the high volume of gun sales, all background checks and live scan results will be delayed. As they come in we will process them as quickly as we can and mail out your permits." I've been told not to question how long, but I wondered if anyone here has gone through this process recently and recall how long it took them. Has it been days, weeks or months? I know there is nothing I can do to speed up the process and I have no reason to be impatient other than it is just natural to feel impatient.
Question; How can a issuing agency approve an applicant when the results of a LiveScan/DOJ background check have not yet been returned?

Approval or denial by statute is required to be in writing and would only occur if their background proved 'good moral character'. Also, it is important to note, that this determination is required to be sent to the applicant within either 90 days after the initial application or 30 days after the results of the LiveScan have been returned-whichever is later.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by CitaDeL; 08-11-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Question; How can a issuing agency approve an applicant when the results of a LiveScan/DOJ background check have not yet been returned?

Approval or denial by statute is required to be in writing and would only occur if their background proved 'good moral character'. Also, it is important to note, that this determination is required to be sent to the applicant within either 90 days after the initial application or 30 days after the results of the LiveScan have been returned-whichever is later.
The way it is worded is "You are receiving this email because your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit has been approved up to this point." From a local stand-point, it has been accepted. While I could get my LiveScan done at Roseville PD any Tuesday-Friday between 9AM and 6PM, I would need to make an appointment in Auburn to sign my CCW permit and put a thumbprint on the card or something like that before I could get the actual permit. The cost is the same to have the LiveScan done at the Sheriff's office by appointment, which the soonest I could get was September 10th, but the advantage of making this appointment is that I will sign the permit and take care of all the paperwork at the same time I do the LiveScan. They will hold onto the permit until the results are back, then they will send it to me. I guess I've waited this long... I have no worries about LiveScan... I've been fingerprinted and LiveScanned numerous times before, never been arrested or a party to a crime; it is mearly a formality.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 PM

I had my Placer county interview last Tuesday. On Thursday I received my "approved up to this point" email. Rather than schedule my Livescan weeks out at the main sheriff's office here in Auburn, I called the Loomis substation and they got me in yesterday, and I dropped the completed Livescan form off at the Auburn office immediately following that appointment.

I'm amazed that I'll now be waiting around for several more weeks so I can go BACK to the main office to give them my print and signature again, and then wait a few MORE weeks for the actual permit. Tell me this isn't a government-run process!
Old 08-18-2013, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
I had my Placer county interview last Tuesday. On Thursday I received my "approved up to this point" email. Rather than schedule my Livescan weeks out at the main sheriff's office here in Auburn, I called the Loomis substation and they got me in yesterday, and I dropped the completed Livescan form off at the Auburn office immediately following that appointment.

I'm amazed that I'll now be waiting around for several more weeks so I can go BACK to the main office to give them my print and signature again, and then wait a few MORE weeks for the actual permit. Tell me this isn't a government-run process!
Why can't you do your live scan and take it with you to your appointment? I have my Placer appt, next month.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM

I chose to get my livescan done at roseville pd, so mine was almost 7 weeks from my livescan to when I got the email to come in for signing / fingerprinting the license.... which they then scheduled another week out..... then you have to wait for the sheriff to sign it and mail it to you - this varies.

Very lame that you go in and the license is signed, thumb printed and dated, but you don't get to take it with you..... you don't actually get your "2 Years" since it takes a while for the sheriff to sign it and mail it to you after it is already dated.
Old 08-16-2013, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemrey81 View Post
I chose to get my livescan done at roseville pd, so mine was almost 7 weeks from my livescan to when I got the email to come in for signing / fingerprinting the license.... which they then scheduled another week out..... then you have to wait for the sheriff to sign it and mail it to you - this varies.

Very lame that you go in and the license is signed, thumb printed and dated, but you don't get to take it with you..... you don't actually get your "2 Years" since it takes a while for the sheriff to sign it and mail it to you after it is already dated.
Since many issuing agencies actually stamp the Sheriff's signature on the license, does this added extra wait look like anything other than a stall tactic?

Old 08-18-2013, 4:28 AM

live scan june 25, results august 14th
Old 08-18-2013, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboxguy View Post
live scan june 25, results august 14th
This is good intel. With more people contributing, we can get a rolling average on how long it will typically take the DOJ to process.

At 50 days from LiveScan (and assuming submission of the initial application) to results being transmitted, you should have a written determination of your application or a license in your hand by September 23, 2013 abiding by the 90 day mandate. The 30 day mandate would only come into play if 60 days or more elapsed from time of initial application or if the LiveScan was done at a later date.

This does expose a problem with the statute in that the issuing agency can provide a written determination and forestall the issuance of a license to carry for absurd and bureaucratic purposes, eating away at the two year duration. The date of issuance should be the same day it is mailed or handed to you.

Old 08-18-2013, 9:20 AM

Time to process in Calaveras Cty was 6 weeks, fill out app to receive permit.
Old 08-18-2013, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Is this County specific? It would seem a DOJ backlog/stall would effect everyone equally. My DOJ portion was back <30 days of my Live Scan.
Old 08-18-2013, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
Is this County specific? It would seem a DOJ backlog/stall would effect everyone equally. My DOJ portion was back <30 days of my Live Scan.
By sharing this information, we can find out.

Old 08-22-2013, 1:58 PM

My buddy is now seven weeks into waiting for the results of his Live Scan. This is for a Sacramento County permit.