Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-17-2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC9111 View Post
I registered mine last week and got a receipt for payment how long does it usually take before they ok your submitted rifle ?

Do you get a second email besides the payment receipts saying it's fine and you'll be receiving the letter by mail ?
If they kick anything back on your submitted rifles you'll get an Incomplete email from them and they'll tell you what needs fixing, you fix it on the web site and your submission changes from Incomplete back to In Progress.

Once all issues have been fixed OR none of your rifles had any issues (getting an Incomplete email) you'll get an email from them saying you'll receive the AW letter via US Postal Service.

Normally they will send one AW letter with all the rifles listed on it you submitted. Once you receive an email for EACH rifle you submitted that says you'll be receiving a letter from them via the US Postal Service THEN they send your AW Letter out (with all the weapons listed on it). That usually takes about 10 or so days for you to receive.

Last edited by bronco75a; 01-17-2018 at 4:02 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 4:17 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Submitted 4 two weeks ago, 3 kickbacks. One was for a missed front grip, one for .223 instead of 5.56 (even though the barrel is marked 5.56 they want whats marked on receiver) and one bizarre kickback for not listing a feature. The first two were easy fixes but the third had me wondering.

I submitted a picture of my HK PSG1 clone that I built. It said I failed to list a feature. Could not figure it out, but basically they were talking about the plastic cap on the end of the barrel and the harmonic stabilizer I have on it. They were convinced it was a flash hider. I told them it was not, but I could not get through, so I just selected flash hider to expedite it. There is no arguing with these people.

They can arrest me later on for NOT having a flash hider I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 01-17-2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Submitted 4 two weeks ago, 3 kickbacks. One was for a missed front grip, one for .223 instead of 5.56 (even though the barrel is marked 5.56 they want whats marked on receiver) and one bizarre kickback for not listing a feature. The first two were easy fixes but the third had me wondering.

I submitted a picture of my HK PSG1 clone that I built. It said I failed to list a feature. Could not figure it out, but basically they were talking about the plastic cap on the end of the barrel and the harmonic stabilizer I have on it. They were convinced it was a flash hider. I told them it was not, but I could not get through, so I just selected flash hider to expedite it. There is no arguing with these people.

That's why I used the "comments section" to specify things that are out of the normal. They are easily confused.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:40 PM

I submitted my application for 20 guns close to four weeks ago, and on the website it says "in progress." How do we know when they are approved and the letters sent out?
Old 01-17-2018, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
I submitted my application for 20 guns close to four weeks ago, and on the website it says "in progress." How do we know when they are approved and the letters sent out?

You don’t know. Either you get a bunch of emails with questions and corrections or you get a letter of approval. You can call them but any answers they give you are unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Depends, if the rifle is bought between 2014 to 2016, you will need to know the exact date of your DROS submission. If you remember which FFL you got it from, they can check it for you. Or you can always call up DOJ, DROS division and ask politely and they will typically help you out if it is just one or two rifles. If there are a bunch, you will have to submit a request for firearm ownership information. I think the year goes further back for pistols, basically when they started recording DROS info.

If the rifle is bought before 2014, you make up a date (estimated it between 2001 to 2013). That's the recommendation from DOJ.
^This...

I requested a firearm ownership report submitted it in December 2016 received the report in August 2017. So if you need to order a report id so it ASAP.

Last edited by SnipeShot; 01-19-2018 at 4:18 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If everything looks good to them, you will get an email saying something to the effect of, "your application has been received and is in progress. You will be notified of results by mail"

If you get those emails, you know they had no issues with your submissions. Some weeks later you should get a paper letter in the mail from the CA DOJ showing everything you registered

If they find something they don't like, you will get an email from them stating the reasons and you will need to go back in and fix it. Rinse and repeat until you get the email saying, "results are in the mail"
Old 01-19-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
If everything looks good to them, you will get an email saying something to the effect of, "your application has been received and is in progress. You will be notified of results by mail"

If you get those emails, you know they had no issues with your submissions. Some weeks later you should get a paper letter in the mail from the CA DOJ showing everything you registered

If they find something they don't like, you will get an email from them stating the reasons and you will need to go back in and fix it. Rinse and repeat until you get the email saying, "results are in the mail"
I'll add something on to this, now it appears you won't get your AW letter till all your rifles get approved (you get the email stating you'll receive the letter via US Postal Service). They want to list all rifles registered to one individual all on the same letter.

The web site is useless because even after a rifle has been fully processed it still says IN PROGRESS. I received my AW Letter in the mail a month ago and all 3 rifles still say IN PROGRESS on their web site.

Once all your rifles are approved it usually takes 10 or so days to receive your AW letter.

Last edited by bronco75a; 01-19-2018 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't seen this one yet:

Quote:
Thank you for submitting your application. Please correct the spelling for the "Dealership Name" entered.
Old 01-20-2018, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Could not get past square one because getting this error message related to my residence street address: "street address contains one or more invalid characters". I'm using the exact characters that are on my CA DL which equal the ones on my CA IRS forms. Talk about a Charlie Foxtrot roadblock to registration. My home address is a privately owned street not maintained by the city. There is no suffix to the street number and street name i.e. no street, lane, parkway, drive, circle appended.

Anyone else get this error?
Old 01-20-2018, 3:14 PM

I got that error when I did mine. I had to remove the period on rd. to rd then it worked.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 PM

I removed the W (west) from the street name.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM

SCAR 17 owners, are you engraving your serial numbers to the upper above the sticker? Is DOJ not pushing back on the lower not having any markings.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:

A lot of FALs were sold with fake flash hiders, it’s just for looks. I bet they all get kicked back with errors. This is what happens when non gun people are tasked with entering data.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbubu View Post
My SCAR 17s registration keeps getting bounced back as incomplete.

Rejection #1

"please submit an additional photo with a measuring tape along the length of the rifle while the stock is folded".

I complied, took the photo and pointed out that the stock does not fold and that it is permanently pinned in place in the additional comments section. I also pointed out that the stock can still telescope.

Rejection #2

"The features checked on the application to not match the features shown in the photos"

...right, so the features check box says folding or telescoping stock.

I've resubmitted again explaining the fact that the stock is telescoping while not being able to fold...hopefully it's clear enough. They probably think I'm trying to sneak in an under 30in configuration. Clearly these people don't understand that modern rifles are modular. I sincerely hope I wont have to buy a stock that does not show a folding hinge just to get the damn rifle registered.

...on another note, I had my AK-47 (FEG AMD 63 variant) registration bounced back with a "we can't clearly see the manufacturers markings and/or serial #". The photos are pretty damn high resolution and I can zoom in on the serial # just fine. Looks like the reviewer wanted to see the manufacturers logo next to the serial #!!!

This whole registration process is a **** show...why do they even have people reviewing these for configuration compliance!? If the rifle is in an illegal configuration (SBR, etc) its in an illegal configuration. A LEO will act on this fact regardless of whether its registered as an "assault weapon". Rejecting registrations is nothing more than using tax money to harass law abiding citizens. There are to many outs for pictures of potentially violating rifles to be explained away, especially if LEO never physically confiscated the rifle rendering these reviews pointless.
Did you engrave serial number to upper above the current sticker? Is DOJ ok with no marking on lower?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Das macht nichts. Had the same kick back on a Tavor factory muzzle brake extension. (Which I replaced the day I got my acceptance letter to a PWS FSC). Just answer in your comments section, “ Per your direction I have changed muzzle brake to flash hider”.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occory View Post
SCAR 17 owners, are you engraving your serial numbers to the upper above the sticker? Is DOJ not pushing back on the lower not having any markings.

I submitted a H&K USC to UMP conversion. No markings on the lower. No kickback. They must have some gun guide data base they refer too.

Old 01-21-2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Could not get past square one because getting this error message related to my residence street address: "street address contains one or more invalid characters". I'm using the exact characters that are on my CA DL which equal the ones on my CA IRS forms. Talk about a Charlie Foxtrot roadblock to registration. My home address is a privately owned street not maintained by the city. There is no suffix to the street number and street name i.e. no street, lane, parkway, drive, circle appended.

Anyone else get this error?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 PM

Default AW Registration Incomplete Registration Issues

I got the same error. I played around with my address. Like using CT instead of Court. Nothing worked. Until I realized I used “ to designate inches in my COMMENTS section. I deleted the “‘s and spelled out inches and that solved it. So it looks like the error was in the comments and not the address field. At least in my case. I live on a private street as well.

Last edited by catsupsam; 01-21-2018 at 10:04 PM..
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 PM

I had to clearly specify that while the folding feature in a stock was disabled the telescoping feature was a separate and working feature.
Old 01-22-2018, 8:32 AM

Good news....looks like the are moving things along pretty quick now.
I submitted a registration last night, and received CFARS Incomplete Notice this morning.

I wonder why I got specific direction on the handstop ..... with no specific direction on the Angled Fore Grip.
From what I read, neither are a "Forward Pistol Grip". I unchecked on both... we'll see what happens.

With Regards to the Magpul AFG:
Quote:
One of the characteristics you marked on your application does not match the firearm characteristics in the photos you provided. For information on forward pistol grip vs. angled foregrip characteristics, please refer to California Code of Regulation, title 11, section 5471(t) and (gg): https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

With regards to the Magpul Hand Stop

Quote:
One of the characteristics you marked on your application does not match the firearm characteristics in the photos you provided. Please uncheck the characteristic that is not shown in your photos. For information on forward pistol grip vs second handgrip characteristics, please refer to California Code of Regulation, title 11, section 5471(t) and (gg): https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

Last edited by Crazydave; 01-22-2018 at 8:48 AM..
Old 01-22-2018, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Thats insane. I still haven't heard a peep from my early Dec submissions.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Last night my status was "In Progress"
This morning, it was "Incomplete"
Now...its' back to "In Progress"
Old 01-22-2018, 5:53 PM

Default AW Registration Incomplete Registration Issues

Quote:

My SCAR 17 was accepted without any issue in stock form.

The lower isn’t marked and therefore is not considered the registered part as the upper is.
Old 01-22-2018, 6:17 PM

I registered a few rifles this weekend (my past post describes how I messed up and would of had to pay for multiple transactions) and today I already received multiple emails that they were incomplete.

Some issues had to do with a couple bullet buttons, pics of the left receiver, clearer pics, etc. Here's one of the emails:

Furthermore, the characteristics you marked on your application do not match the firearm characteristics in the photos you provided. Please refer to California Code of Regulation, title 11, section 5471 (t) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

I'm not quite sure if they wont accept the bullet button, it's a bootleg Raddlock reversible bullet button. Or if my pics just plainly suck.

Also I received emails that want clearer pics of the bullet buttons of some rifles. This is ridiculous. I can expect a lot of older people that are not too tech savvy to have problems with taking pictures.
Old 01-22-2018, 6:25 PM

I think I had the worst day ever today. All my applications (20 total) were kicked backed to me for a variety of reasons, some very stupid and lame, but the worst had to be an explanation sent by the examiner. From October 2009 through October 2013, I was a resident of Florida. Turned in my CA license at the Naples, FL DMV and issued a Florida license. In the comment section I listed that not only was I a Florida resident from 2009 through 2013 I purchased them in that state which was my residency. If my understanding was correct, I didn't have to self register long guns until January 2014 (even though I did self register all my handguns purchased). I am just flabbergasted that it took six weeks to get the responses and rejections I got today, and now I have to write back to the idiot examiner that I have proof I purchased them as a Florida resident such as my LES and my old Florida driver's license. Incredible
Old 01-22-2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbubu View Post
My SCAR 17s registration keeps getting bounced back as incomplete.

Rejection #1

"please submit an additional photo with a measuring tape along the length of the rifle while the stock is folded".

I complied, took the photo and pointed out that the stock does not fold and that it is permanently pinned in place in the additional comments section. I also pointed out that the stock can still telescope.

Rejection #2

"The features checked on the application to not match the features shown in the photos"

...right, so the features check box says folding or telescoping stock.

I've resubmitted again explaining the fact that the stock is telescoping while not being able to fold...hopefully it's clear enough. They probably think I'm trying to sneak in an under 30in configuration. Clearly these people don't understand that modern rifles are modular. I sincerely hope I wont have to buy a stock that does not show a folding hinge just to get the damn rifle registered.

...on another note, I had my AK-47 (FEG AMD 63 variant) registration bounced back with a "we can't clearly see the manufacturers markings and/or serial #". The photos are pretty damn high resolution and I can zoom in on the serial # just fine. Looks like the reviewer wanted to see the manufacturers logo next to the serial #!!!

This whole registration process is a **** show...why do they even have people reviewing these for configuration compliance!? If the rifle is in an illegal configuration (SBR, etc) its in an illegal configuration. A LEO will act on this fact regardless of whether its registered as an "assault weapon". Rejecting registrations is nothing more than using tax money to harass law abiding citizens. There are to many outs for pictures of potentially violating rifles to be explained away, especially if LEO never physically confiscated the rifle rendering these reviews pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
My SCAR 17 was accepted without any issue in stock form.

The lower isn’t marked and therefore is not considered the registered part as the upper is.
I understand the lower is not marked, and the upper is the serialized part. My question was based off the fact the the serial number is not engraved on the upper from the factory, its just a sticker. Since the serial # is not engraved on the upper per the DOJ's requirement were we required to have it engraved to meet DOJ's requirements.
Old 01-22-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I understand the lower is not marked, and the upper is the serialized part. My question was based off the fact the the serial number is not engraved on the upper from the factory, its just a sticker. Since the serial # is not engraved on the upper per the DOJ's requirement were we required to have it engraved to meet DOJ's requirements.

On my SCAR 17 the serial number is laser etched on the left side of the upper towards the rear.
Old 01-22-2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:

On the SCAR the sticker is A SKU or UPC number or something. Many people remove it. The serial number IS engraved on the upper
Old 01-22-2018, 9:01 PM

On a bullpup I had the same issue. For the right and left photos they wanted the trigger, grip, and magwell in the photo despite the ATF's stance on what is the registered part. Use one of the optional photos to show the serial number.
Old 01-23-2018, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think I had the worst day ever today. All my applications (20 total) were kicked backed to me for a variety of reasons, some very stupid and lame, but the worst had to be an explanation sent by the examiner. From October 2009 through October 2013, I was a resident of Florida. Turned in my CA license at the Naples, FL DMV and issued a Florida license. In the comment section I listed that not only was I a Florida resident from 2009 through 2013 I purchased them in that state which was my residency. If my understanding was correct, I didn't have to self register long guns until January 2014 (even though I did self register all my handguns purchased). I am just flabbergasted that it took six weeks to get the responses and rejections I got today, and now I have to write back to the idiot examiner that I have proof I purchased them as a Florida resident such as my LES and my old Florida driver's license. Incredible

CADOJ lives in their own small universe and can’t seem to grasp that free states don’t have the same obnoxious gun control laws as CA. Prepare for an email battle, but keep records of every response you make to them.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Old 01-23-2018, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
I registered a few rifles this weekend (my past post describes how I messed up and would of had to pay for multiple transactions) and today I already received multiple emails that they were incomplete.

Some issues had to do with a couple bullet buttons, pics of the left receiver, clearer pics, etc. Here's one of the emails:

Furthermore, the characteristics you marked on your application do not match the firearm characteristics in the photos you provided. Please refer to California Code of Regulation, title 11, section 5471 (t) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

I'm not quite sure if they wont accept the bullet button, it's a bootleg Raddlock reversible bullet button. Or if my pics just plainly suck.

Also I received emails that want clearer pics of the bullet buttons of some rifles. This is ridiculous. I can expect a lot of older people that are not too tech savvy to have problems with taking pictures.

Resubmit the bullet button pic from an slight angle that doesn’t show the “Raddlock” engraving.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

My screen shot of my Gas and Electric company proof of residence was rejected.

What is acceptable to the DOJ?

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Without seeing the pics, it's really hard to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
My screen shot of my Gas and Electric company proof of residence was rejected.

What is acceptable to the DOJ?
They want an utility company statement with your name and address on it. Depends on what your call "screenshot", it may either qualify or not.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post

They want an utility company statement with your name and address on it. Depends on what your call "screenshot", it may either qualify or not.
Drivers license, voter registration or vehicle registration acceptable????
Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Drivers license, voter registration or vehicle registration acceptable????
Of those three, only vehicle registration. The drivers license is used in another part of the application. As proof of residency, the voter registration is a joke and the Dems and illegal immigrants know it.

Quote:

Aside from focused and clear pictures, try using one of the optional pictures to show how you'd activate the BB using a snap cap or one of those novelty bullet keychain/bottle opener things.

Last edited by HibikiR; 01-29-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 3:43 PM

Submitted an MCX and MPX pistol variants Mid-October (corrections made and resubmitted late October)

Submitted a Colt LE6920 Early December.

Recieved a Letter for the Colt today 1/26, but doesn't list my earlier submissions. Go figure, quite possible they won't let me register the pistols and remain in limbo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Back in August, I submitted 3 registrations, 2 rifles, and a home-built pistol.

They kicked back my pistol reg today, stating:

Quote:
The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Thank you for submitting your application. Your firearm requires a DOJ issued serial number. The New Serial Number Application form (BOF 1008) can be found at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms under Forms and Publications. Please refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474.2 regarding serial number application requirements: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf. For questions, email DOJSerialNumber@doj.ca.gov.

The information requested should be submitted by logging into the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov and selecting "My Transaction History".
If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application.
So I reported an issue, and explained that I already have a serial number for this firearm, and that it is already in their AFS with that number. I also cited the following PC:

Quote:
29181. Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:

(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification to that firearm by virtue of the department accepting entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.
I am therefore exempt from the "ghost gun" requirement.

I'm sure they don't care. I am following ALL the laws. They are not. If they made up a new law that requires I get a second serial number from them I will simply abandon the AW registration and put a new mag lock device on it.

I don't know if they are just idiots, or if they are just trying to make this so difficult that people won't bother to register.
Old 01-29-2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post

I'm sure they don't care. I am following ALL the laws. They are not. If they made up a new law that requires I get a second serial number from them I will simply abandon the AW registration and put a new mag lock device on it.
Their AW Registration regulations specified that home built (80%) must have a serial issued by them (FMBUS####). Doesn't matter if you made up a serial and they accepted it into AFS unfortunately. Their regulations have the force of law until a court decides otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that DOJ has gone too far, but until a court agrees with us, their regulations are the law of the land.
Old 01-29-2018, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post

Screen shot is probably low res and blurry. Scan the document in as a JPEG