Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-10-2014, 4:18 AM

Default Question on Vests

Hey guys. I work security and I'm looking at getting a vest for when I go for armed security. And I wanted to ask a question of you gents.

I'm looking at getting level 3 armor, but I'm wondering how well it would wear under a uniform. Can it be worn under clothing at all? Any helpful hints on this matter?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Try any armor on that you can, and get fitted if you are going to be wearing it for long periods of time. I would probably say that level 3a armor is going to be your best bet. Again, if you are going to be wearing it for long periods of time/warm climates, definitely invest in higher grade carrier that will be lighter/more breathable.
Old 02-11-2014, 6:56 AM

Level 2a, 2 and 3a are still soft armor and can be worn under your uniform.

Level 3 and 4 are rifle resistant armor (think: hard plates in plate carriers). Not concealable stuff. The plates are typically 5 to 8 pounds each, hard (i.e. chunk of steel or ceramic) and 3/4"+ thick.

Quick rule of thumb in selecting armor is to get a vest rated against the most common threats in your area and/or against your weapon. As for comfort, proper fit and a good breathable carrier get's the best bang for the buck. I've worn a "custom fit" 3a vest that was much more comfortable than a standard sized 2.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

Suggest you call the guys at www.bulletproofme.com, they can answer all your questions and get you fitted. If you don't mind police surplus, you can get a vest with a steel trauma plate and Kevlar pad over your heart, for about $200.00, depending on your size.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Sweet, thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
Level 2a, 2 and 3a are still soft armor and can be worn under your uniform.

Level 3 and 4 are rifle resistant armor (think: hard plates in plate carriers). Not concealable stuff. The plates are typically 5 to 8 pounds each, hard (i.e. chunk of steel or ceramic) and 3/4"+ thick.

Quick rule of thumb in selecting armor is to get a vest rated against the most common threats in your area and/or against your weapon. As for comfort, proper fit and a good breathable carrier get's the best bang for the buck. I've worn a "custom fit" 3a vest that was much more comfortable than a standard sized 2.
+1 on this advice