Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-08-2016, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default Left Handed CCW Women Only

I would like to find out what guns lady lefties are carrying. Why you choose that gun? What you like and don't like about the gun? What kind of carry method you use most often, and what you like and don't like about that carry system in respect to your chosen carry gun?
Old 03-13-2016, 9:28 PM

Hi, I'm a left-handed, right-eye cross dominant shorter.

The gun:
My first gun was a Glock 19. Too thick and big to conceal well. Saw a rainbow Sig Sauer P238 and had some sort of reaction. Suddenly I could not imagine how I could ever be happy without it. Now it's my carry gun, and I like it a lot. I like the color, the rosewood grips, and the fact that it is small enough to conceal. I like that it has a manual safety. I like its night sights. It's got a slide that racks like butter and the gun is easy to field strip. I needed and got the ambidextrous safety. It shoots fine and feels good in my hand.

I wish it had an ambidextrous mag release. I wish it was a less expensive gun. I wish I shot it as well as my Glock.

I've been through a number of carry systems. The best is AIWB, but on left-hand side. I use a Crossbreed holster for outfits that will accept my gun belt. If not, I have a Can Can Concealment Hip Hugger I can use. It's comfortable and I'm amazed at how the gun disappears with that holster. Yoga pants, dresses, whatever.
Old 04-23-2016, 8:30 PM

Not sure if I qualify to answer this question since my CA permit is still in the works. I recently moved from LA to San Bernardino. The ability to get a permit was a factor in choosing SB county. So I'm pretty serious about making it happen. I've put as much thought and practice into it as legally possible. Still, I'm sure I'll learn more once I gain real world experience.

My preference is metal, hammer-fired guns, for the ergos, accuracy and aesthetics. I love me a CZ, Tanfoglio, 1911. Originally I imagined myself rocking my Springfield EMP, cocked and locked with its ambi safety in its sweet-smelling leather DeSantis, AIWB.

But I've come full circle and decided that for CC, a simple, slim, striker-fired, easily-replaceable pistol is the way to go. Especially for a lefty. A few scary incidents reminded me how darn fast things can go wrong when things decide to go wrong, and how much your response is influenced by muscle memory. I can't risk getting confused with safety on this, decocker on that. I don't want to lose even a micro-second thinking about it.

You might have read that story of the cop who, in a struggle with an assailant who tried to grab his gun, successfully wrenched his gun back, only to then hand it to the assailant. Because that's what he'd done in training, i.e. practiced getting back his gun, then gave it to the other student to repeat the exercise.

So I've settled on a Kahr CW9. Long trigger pull, but it's very smooth and easy. I consider that long pull a plus for safety. I've got a Shield too. CA safety version, but I just ignore that safety. It's a great gun, but I prefer the Kahr ergos, so the Shield will be my backup. Both are reliable, accurate, and conceal easily.

AIWB makes the most sense for me. I'm a slim build, jeans wearing, casual dress active type. I don't have the figure for some of the other upper body options, purse isn't for me, and ankle has too many disadvantages. Plus I've carried a knife at 10 o'clock since forever and in an emergency that's where my hand is gonna reach.

For holsters, I like leather, it just feels right and I've been able to find some affordable ones from DeSantis and FrontLine. If I was able to do 7 o'clock (or for us lefties, 8 o'clock) I'd go with AlienGear. That light neoprene looks comfy and I imagine it handles sweat well.

I assume once I'm able to truly carry, more circumstances will arise and I'll make changes yet again. I've always got my eye out for a comfortable, secure, well-fitting holster.

That Ulti-Clip looks like a great feature. Especially for ladies.

I intend to check out your store if/when I'm in the area.

I hope this helps! I know it helps me to read others' experiences.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by sly-jay; 04-23-2016 at 8:41 PM..
Old 04-25-2016, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly-jay View Post
Not sure if I qualify to answer this question since my CA permit is still in the works. I recently moved from LA to San Bernardino. The ability to get a permit was a factor in choosing SB county. So I'm pretty serious about making it happen. I've put as much thought and practice into it as legally possible. Still, I'm sure I'll learn more once I gain real world experience.

My preference is metal, hammer-fired guns, for the ergos, accuracy and aesthetics. I love me a CZ, Tanfoglio, 1911. Originally I imagined myself rocking my Springfield EMP, cocked and locked with its ambi safety in its sweet-smelling leather DeSantis, AIWB.

But I've come full circle and decided that for CC, a simple, slim, striker-fired, easily-replaceable pistol is the way to go. Especially for a lefty. A few scary incidents reminded me how darn fast things can go wrong when things decide to go wrong, and how much your response is influenced by muscle memory. I can't risk getting confused with safety on this, decocker on that. I don't want to lose even a micro-second thinking about it.

You might have read that story of the cop who, in a struggle with an assailant who tried to grab his gun, successfully wrenched his gun back, only to then hand it to the assailant. Because that's what he'd done in training, i.e. practiced getting back his gun, then gave it to the other student to repeat the exercise.

So I've settled on a Kahr CW9. Long trigger pull, but it's very smooth and easy. I consider that long pull a plus for safety. I've got a Shield too. CA safety version, but I just ignore that safety. It's a great gun, but I prefer the Kahr ergos, so the Shield will be my backup. Both are reliable, accurate, and conceal easily.

AIWB makes the most sense for me. I'm a slim build, jeans wearing, casual dress active type. I don't have the figure for some of the other upper body options, purse isn't for me, and ankle has too many disadvantages. Plus I've carried a knife at 10 o'clock since forever and in an emergency that's where my hand is gonna reach.

For holsters, I like leather, it just feels right and I've been able to find some affordable ones from DeSantis and FrontLine. If I was able to do 7 o'clock (or for us lefties, 8 o'clock) I'd go with AlienGear. That light neoprene looks comfy and I imagine it handles sweat well.

I assume once I'm able to truly carry, more circumstances will arise and I'll make changes yet again. I've always got my eye out for a comfortable, secure, well-fitting holster.

That Ulti-Clip looks like a great feature. Especially for ladies.

I intend to check out your store if/when I'm in the area.

I hope this helps! I know it helps me to read others' experiences.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for the input.

Fyi - Alien Gear is too much holster for the Kahr, will work fine, but unnecessarily bulky.

Well be at the upcoming Ontario Gun Show so if your there stop by and say Hi to Debbie and I.