Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-21-2013, 3:52 PM

Default I want to order a custom AR

Any suggestions as to where I should start?

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-21-2013, 4:01 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

a local gun shop?
this is no where near you but I believe Eddy's in Mountain View can do it. i'm guessing that one of the smaller gun shops might be able to do it.

join a build party? if so, i'd contact a calgun coordinator for your area with the idea that that person would know of when/where such a group is meeting. check the other forums here at calguns because I remember seeing dates/times being mentioned in the past. you could join the group and make your own or perhaps find someone through the group that is interested in making some extra cash.

and I have also heard it mentioned at Eddy's that tricked out AR can be special ordered. if he can do it, then a local gun shop near you can, too.

got the bug, did you!?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-21-2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
a local gun shop?
this is no where near you but I believe Eddy's in Mountain View can do it. i'm guessing that one of the smaller gun shops might be able to do it.

join a build party? if so, i'd contact a calgun coordinator for your area with the idea that that person would know of when/where such a group is meeting. check the other forums here at calguns because I remember seeing dates/times being mentioned in the past. you could join the group and make your own or perhaps find someone through the group that is interested in making some extra cash.

and I have also heard it mentioned at Eddy's that tricked out AR can be special ordered. if he can do it, then a local gun shop near you can, too.

got the bug, did you!?
Yup, I got the bug!!

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-21-2013, 4:23 PM
CGSSA Leader

Do you have an idea of what kind of custom touches you want? You're in OC? Rifle Gear in Fountain Valley is a good place to start.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 07-21-2013, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
Do you have an idea of what kind of custom touches you want?...
Tactical, precision, 3-gun competition, aesthetics?

For aesthetics and/or the type of accessories you might want, you could start in the rifles gallery in the centerfire rifles forum. For things that might interest you in functional features have you taken or considered a carbine course and/or maybe some tac rifle competitions to help you get more specific on the features you might want?

Cerakote, duracoat, or spray paint options open up a whole pallete of colors and patterns for you.

You could collect the parts and accessories you want and either have a gunsmith/armorer build it for you or maybe a local gunshop could let you use their shop and tools to build it yourself without making the investment in assembly tools.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM

What do you mean exactly by custom? Paint? Engravings?

The best way to get one to your preferences its to make it yourself, instead of "ordering". This is a lot cheaper! First, visit your local gunshop and ask if they carry stripped or completed lowers. Difference is that a stripped lower is the bare receiver, you will have to buy and install the trigger, pins, and stock or pay a shop to do it. If you find a completed lower with the stock of your liking at a reasonable price, buy it. Again, starting from a stripped lower saves more money.

Visit this site: http://palmettostatearmory.com

Once you have your lower receiver done, then on to the upper. Main difference between upper receivers that you will see is the barrel and handguard/rail. Again, you can save even more money starting form a stripped upper. However, you will need special tools and equipment to complete that part, which unless you plan to build several ARs, it ain't worth it. Also, make sure that when you purchase an upper, the Bolt Carrier Group is included because if you by it separately you my run into headspacing issues. For the barrel, a 1 in 7 twist is the highest and considered the best for 5.56, which also runs for more $. However, 1 in 9 is just fine! Great thing about palmettostatearmory is that can sell quality 1 in 7 twist rate barrels on their upper at the best price I have seen so far. Make sure that your upper has a barrel with a minimum length of 16 inches for legal reasons (could also be a 14 in w/ a permanently pinned 2 in muzzle device). Don't forget the special cali bullet button!!!

OK, so on palmetto's site, find an upper receiver that you like and buy it. Since an upper is considered a gun part and not a gun, it can be directly shipped to your house. No tax too Putting a lower and upper together is so easy Joe Biden can do it... Just put both halves together and push the pins in and wa-la, done! Look around on youtube on how to build one to get a feel for it.

As far as painting and engravings, just gotta search and call around.

Anymore questions or concerns, just ask.

Hope this helped, welcome to the club!

Last edited by Edvil91; 07-21-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 7:03 AM

wow, so much to consider, Ipsick and Edvil!
obviously, i'm not bit by the bug yet.......and I have to admit i'm more the "go out and buy it" type. but even for me your posts will be helpful when/if the time comes.
I do think there are some female calgunners that are more hands on and have done a build. perhaps OHOD [who has been missing for many months] and Asphodel.

how's the project coming, Mafia Princess?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-22-2013, 7:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess View Post
Any suggestions as to where I should start?
You could start with me. I think I may be able to teach you a thing or two about guns (as well as other things!) Just sayin!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 07-22-2013, 7:28 AM

you're walking a thin line in the Ladies Forum, Big Jake.....just sayin'.

reminder: Mr K started this forum so the women of calguns could avoid the leg humpers.........

yeah, we're paranoid but we have cause to be.
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 7:38 AM

Quote:

reminder: Mr K started this forum so the women of calguns could avoid the leg humpers.........

Leg humpers......

LMFAO
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I have a feeling that they're already dating each other in real life. They were cutsey-wootsey smoochy-woochy with each other all over CalGuns right from day one. Ah, CalGuns...love blooms wild here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess
Any suggestions as to where I should start

Are you looking to purchase an assembled AR straight from a store and then customize the extras? If so, one thing that really helped me was that I visited a local gun store and tried out the various brands and models. Every person has a different body type and preference - Short arms, wide shoulders, boney shoulders, etc.

For example, I am 5'9" tall and I have long arms. Some models of AR just did not work for me because the stock was too short or the "balance" of the rifle didn't seem right to me. All I did was just ask to hold it and then I would tuck it into my shoulder and see how it "fit". Over several auditions, it seemed pretty clear that one particular brand always felt the best to me. That helped me narrow down my choices. Later, you can work out the bazillion customizations and accessories to add if you want them.

I hope this helps! Congrats and keep us updated on what you're putting together!

BK
Old 07-22-2013, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

FYI, if you haven't guessed I know MP personally!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 07-22-2013, 3:36 PM
In Memoriam

https://danieldefense.com/build-your-ddm4

WTS JL audio 8W7 X2, JL audio 500/1v2, Alpine Ine-940, Stinger Cap!!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post17991865
WTS SIG MPX CARBINE, SIG MPX PISTOL, NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM PREDATOR, Acog in .308!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt81 View Post
I'm serious.
Are you one of those .45 elitists?
Old 07-22-2013, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
obviously, i'm not bit by the bug yet.......and I have to admit i'm more the "go out and buy it" type. but even for me your posts will be helpful when/if the time comes.
I do think there are some female calgunners that are more hands on and have done a build. perhaps OHOD [who has been missing for many months] and Asphodel.

Part of the ARs appeal is how much there is to consider. You could go with just a KISS build, a precision/varmint build, 3-gun super special, tac ninja, etc. Classes and competitions help narrow down choices a lot. As you already may know, the top 3 things to consider with any firearm build are barrel, trigger, sights/optics. After that, the next most important (and likely equally important) is probably personal fit and preferences.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-22-2013, 4:55 PM

glad to hear you're not a leg humper, Big Jake..........anything else I've tried to write in conjunction with that and your now known to me romantic involvement with MP just comes out reading really Really REALLY dirty!
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:

I've decided to buy an AR and then get the kit to have it made the way I want.

Old 07-22-2013, 8:52 PM

pictures of the before and after, please.
you might actually get me interested in doing the same!
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
pictures of the before and after, please.
you might actually get me interested in doing the same!
Just buy one before 2014!
Old 07-22-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvil91 View Post
Just buy one before 2014!
I'm actually going to buy one on Wednesday (and yes, Big Jake is taking me to pick it out). I will post before and after pics when we're all done with the transformation. I am not really a pink kind of girl, but I'm excited to make something that is uniquely mine and feminine!! .

Old 07-22-2013, 9:14 PM

Civtactical.com Dustin can build you anything you want and he takes the time to do it right. I never realized so much could go into building an upper, (I've put together several) but if you see all the extra stuff he does to make sure all specs are perfect you would be surprised.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm actually going to buy one on Wednesday (and yes, Big Jake is taking me to pick it out). I will post before and after pics when we're all done with the transformation. I am not really a pink kind of girl, but I'm excited to make something that is uniquely mine and feminine!! .
Please post how it turns out. I'm trying to build one for my daughter but she's only 3. These darn new proposed laws have me building something she's not even old enough for just so she can have it when she is old enough. Right now I'm just thinking of white cerakote to give her a blank palette when she's older.

Old 07-23-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I have a feeling that they're already dating each other in real life. They were cutsey-wootsey smoochy-woochy with each other all over CalGuns right from day one. Ah, CalGuns...love blooms wild here.

Are you looking to purchase an assembled AR straight from a store and then customize the extras? If so, one thing that really helped me was that I visited a local gun store and tried out the various brands and models. Every person has a different body type and preference - Short arms, wide shoulders, boney shoulders, etc.

For example, I am 5'9" tall and I have long arms. Some models of AR just did not work for me because the stock was too short or the "balance" of the rifle didn't seem right to me. All I did was just ask to hold it and then I would tuck it into my shoulder and see how it "fit". Over several auditions, it seemed pretty clear that one particular brand always felt the best to me. That helped me narrow down my choices. Later, you can work out the bazillion customizations and accessories to add if you want them.

I hope this helps! Congrats and keep us updated on what you're putting together!

BK
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look at them tomorrow and make a decision as to which works best for my size. Then I'm going to order the 'pink' furniture.

Old 07-23-2013, 3:50 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374623413.021706.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374623438.029081.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374623451.411563.jpg

Old 07-24-2013, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Before the Calguns ladies got me to re-consider "pink" (even though my daughter loves it now) and instead giving her a blank palette, I liked how this AR looked a lot.

Old 07-24-2013, 3:20 PM

see post #23 by Mafia Princess. see the first picture.
still looks like a real rifle, not a toy.
has the MZ seal of approval....LOL....although it still isn't something i'd want to own, I can understand its appeal.
but then its not my $ and not my rife.......
Quote:
Old 07-25-2013, 7:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
What did you get What did you get?
Old 07-25-2013, 8:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichnk View Post
What did you get What did you get?
We got her an M&K with Picattiny rail. All black for now and no glass yet. It will be a work in progress. When it gets out of jail we will look into the pink furniture!

Old 07-25-2013, 8:59 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
We got her an M&K with Picattiny rail. All black for now and no glass yet. It will be a work in progress. When it gets out of jail we will look into the pink furniture!
Congrats!!!! cant wait to see photos.

Ive been wanting a pink one myself
Old 07-25-2013, 9:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichnk View Post
Congrats!!!! cant wait to see photos.

Ive been wanting a pink one myself
We will pimp it out lol!