Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-20-2013, 9:10 PM

Default A light 30-30 load recipe book using these powders?

I'm looking for a light load for my Marlin 336. My girlfriend hates recoil but is a good shot and I want to help her ease into the 30-30. My idea is to develop some loads to progress up to *almost* normal. Whatever she's comfortable with. I already have a lot of powders so I want to use only the powders I have. We're leaving on a shooting trip to Idaho in 2 weeks. No time for backorders.
The rifle: Marlin 336
The bullet: Meister .309 165gr RNFP no gas check
The available powders: Hi Skor 700X, H-322, Reloder10x, Lil'Gun, and Blue Dot.

I'm really interested in the 700X because I have 8lbs of it and nothing to reload it with. I also have lots of Blue Dot.
I'm looking to have a load for 40% power, 50% power, etc. up to 70%.

I understand this is a lot to ask. I'm also working diligently on it. I've learned so much from the experienced reloaders here that I can't NOT ask. Thank you in advance.

So far 5.5 grains of 700X seems like a good place to start. I'll need to tip up the barrel after chambering to let gravity get the powder to the primer before firing.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:30 PM

I just hit the motherload with this link.
Pretty much answers all my questions with serious data crunching.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Old 03-20-2013, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Lee in his 2nd edition lists reduced loads for lead in 30-30. The only powders he lists for a bullet in that weight class are:

H414 - down to 730fps
BL-C(2) - down to 1410
Varget - down to 1380
H4895 - down to 1300
H4198 - down to 1170
H355 - down to 1410

I think Lyman's lead book also has loads for 30-30 as well.

Be careful working up those pistol/shot shell powder loads. It will be a smaller distance between the two points of a stuck bullet and a broken gun, than when loading slower powders. Obviously a stuck bullet is better than too much powder.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Lee in his 2nd edition lists reduced loads for lead in 30-30. The only powders he lists for a bullet in that weight class are:

H414 - down to 730fps
BL-C(2) - down to 1410
Varget - down to 1380
H4895 - down to 1300
H4198 - down to 1170
H355 - down to 1410

I think Lyman's lead book also has loads for 30-30 as well.

Be careful working up those pistol/shot shell powder loads. It will be a smaller distance between the two points of a stuck bullet and a broken gun, than when loading slower powders. Obviously a stuck bullet is better than too much powder.

Good luck.
Thank you.
You are right. I have dealt with that very issue in my 500 S&W Handi Rifle. That's why I'm using cast boolits. Much easier to tap out on the range than a jacketed.
Whenever I use a powder that has the ability to be double charged I use my single stage press and move one bullet at a time. I doubt I'll move beyond 1200fps with the Blue Dot or 700X. I can use the h322 beyond that.
I actually have both Lyman manuals open in front of me. Funny you should mention it. Best manuals by far. Unfortunately, they don't list any powders I have on hand and I don't have time to order ( at least not with today's wait times!). I already checked my local shop (the only one that carries powder) with no luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I'm loading 12 gr of Trail Boss for my 30-30. Shoots well out to 100 yds & nice soft recoil.

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

I'm loading 16gr h4198 behind 160gr lswc-gc with great accuracy and it only feels like a light push for recoil.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't load any lead in rifle calibers, but a bunch of the guys I know from the range that do, seem to prefer lighter loads of powders like 4198 versus Trail Boss. I have not paid close enough attention to their explanations, but it does seem like a consensus. Most use a paper wad to ensure the powder stays down by the primers in the larger cases.