Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Any good reason NOT to buy this Ruger 22/45?

I've been wanting a .22 semi-auto for a long time. The only .22 handgun I have so far is an old Hi-Standard revolver and it's just not that accurate.

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62621

I already have a 1911 and like it, so I figure this gun replicates the 1911 grip and should point natural for me. I like the wood grips and prefer a blued finish over stainless.

Does anyone who has one of these (or similar) NOT like anything about this gun? Ease of disassembly/cleaning? Finicky about ammo at all? Wasn't accurate for you?

I'm pretty much sold on this particular model unless I hear some negatives...

Also, is the receiver already tapped for an optics mount, or is that something you'll have to do later (if you decide to put a red-dot on it)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM

well, youre gonna add another 65-$80 onto that price when you transfer it. and then im pretty sure you're spending quite a bit more than if you bought one from turners when they go on sale for 269.

I got mine from turners for 199 about 10 months ago when they went on sale.

this is the only picture I have of mine:

Last edited by trob; 05-17-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Call around and ask what FFL's are charging for online purchases. If you can find a reasonable (to you) deal then I say buy it. Bud's always has excellent prices.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
well, youre gonna add another 65-$80 onto that price when you transfer it. and then im pretty sure you're spending quite a bit more than if you bought one from turners when they go on sale for 269.

this is the only picture I have of mine:

Turners' gun stores are all down south, aren't they? I'm near the central coast, so Turners are all pretty far away...

Bud's ships for free, and my FFL doesn't charge tax. His fees are $25 DROS + $50 FEE so this gun should end up costing me ~$366. That's acceptable to me, although I'm open to better deals if they don't involve driving more than a half hour somewhere.

Nice collection! Just curious, why'd you take the cocobolo grips off yours?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I hated mine, until I sold it to a pawn shop for more than I paid for it. I tried every different type of ammo I could get my hands on and I always had lots of FTE
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Last time I checked the 22/45 with wood grips is the "RP" model and was not on the roster. I would double check before you buy. The picture may not be the actual pistol they are selling.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I didn't see it before but it is the "Cocobolo Wood/Replaceable Panels" models so check the roster to see if they added it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

If your FFL isn't charging sales tax he could get himself in a booku trouble with the Board of Equalization, but its his risk not yours. $25 is a fair FFL transfer charge by a kitchen FFL and I'm lucky to have one available to me too. Still I'd be inclined to call up a local shop and see if they can sell me one for $299 plus the fees - even though Buds ships for free its nice to be able to shop local and keep your gun shops alive....if they won't touch it for that then you tried and I don't see any reason not too. Ruger has always made a great 22 semi in the Mk series....I've had a few and none were bad.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colddeadhands View Post
I hated mine, until I sold it to a pawn shop for more than I paid for it. I tried every different type of ammo I could get my hands on and I always had lots of FTE
Wow, Ruger semi-auto pistols seem to be the most reliable when it comes to the competition I take part in. Rarely does one see a Browning Buckmark or a S&W Model 41 for just that reason.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM

The grip angle is similar to a 1911, but the thickness is not. Big difference in weight and feel. It's a good little shooter though. Probably have about 10K rounds through mine with no major issues.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
If your FFL isn't charging sales tax he could get himself in a booku trouble with the Board of Equalization, but its his risk not yours. $25 is a fair FFL transfer charge by a kitchen FFL and I'm lucky to have one available to me too. Still I'd be inclined to call up a local shop and see if they can sell me one for $299 plus the fees - even though Buds ships for free its nice to be able to shop local and keep your gun shops alive....if they won't touch it for that then you tried and I don't see any reason not too. Ruger has always made a great 22 semi in the Mk series....I've had a few and none were bad.
Nope. You already bought and paid for the gun from Bud's before they shipped it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Turners' gun stores are all down south, aren't they? I'm near the central coast, so Turners are all pretty far away...

Bud's ships for free, and my FFL doesn't charge tax. His fees are $25 DROS + $50 FEE so this gun should end up costing me ~$366. That's acceptable to me, although I'm open to better deals if they don't involve driving more than a half hour somewhere.

Nice collection! Just curious, why'd you take the cocobolo grips off yours?
Mine is not the model that has removable grips. It is the standard grip. I added those rubberized grips that are made by a member on rimfirecentral.com
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post

Does anyone who has one of these (or similar) NOT like anything about this gun? Ease of disassembly/cleaning? Finicky about ammo at all? Wasn't accurate for you?

I'm pretty much sold on this particular model unless I hear some negatives...

Also, is the receiver already tapped for an optics mount, or is that something you'll have to do later (if you decide to put a red-dot on it)?

Thanks in advance.
I bought one recently and have had it to the range twice. Fun to shoot and plenty accurate so far.

On the Mark IIIs, some people do not like the loaded chamber indicator. Also, the Mark III mag disconnect gets some complaints, particularly since it does not allow the mag to drop free. However, if you don't like these features both can be modified out. See Rimfire Central for lots of info about these and other mods.

Takedown and reassembly: seems most people (including me) initially find this pretty challenging. There are some good videos available on the net to help you out (see Rimfire Central again for references). It is said that it becomes easier with experience. I've had mine apart 4-5 times now, and it is getting easier but I don't think I will ever classify it as easy (compared to a Beretta 92, for example).

All the 22/45s and Mark IIIs classified as "target" models come pre-drilled and tapped and include a weaver rail.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-2011, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
I didn't see it before but it is the "Cocobolo Wood/Replaceable Panels" models so check the roster to see if they added it.
It's not. The one is the picture is P512MKIIIRP, Model 10140, and it's the one I just went looking for recently. Only to realize it wasn't CA-approved (it's also listed on Ruger's site as not for CA, I did double-check the CADOJ just to be sure). None of the "RP" models are on the roster.

The best you can do is the P512MKIII, Model 10107, which doesn't have the removable panels. As Trob mentioned, you can get replacement grips that fit over the moulded ones from http://www.tech-custom.com/ (he also sells replacement magazine base pads to match) - I've already got mine on order, I've heard good things about them. Perhaps, not as pretty as the wood, but still attractive and a huge improvement over the plain moulded ones, and quite functional.
Old 05-17-2011, 6:14 PM

i have a 22/45 in the Talo Series. Right out the gates the thing was accurate! The picture you posted looks like mine just the grips are a bit different and mine as the slab barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
"Well I guess that's when you have to put on your big boy pants, let your balls drop and find out what's it like to be a man and take some responsibility."
Old 05-17-2011, 6:39 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Depending on how badly you want it, this is doable.

The upper is the serialized portion of a Ruger 22.

Get any Ruger 22 pistol that you can lay your hands on and beg borrow or overpay for the 22/45 frame of your choice. Sell your old frame at a loss or keep it around for some rainy day. The LCI and mag disconnect weirdness are easily dealt with.

As always, the rimfirecentral guys know everything.
Old 05-17-2011, 7:16 PM

wanna sell your high-standard?
Old 05-17-2011, 7:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplestack3 View Post
The grip angle is similar to a 1911, but the thickness is not. Big difference in weight and feel. It's a good little shooter though. Probably have about 10K rounds through mine with no major issues.
Exactly. The angle is the same, but the Ruger's grips are very narrow. I have long fingers and sometimes it's kind of a pain to get the right grip on it. The controls are similar, but not exactly the same.

If you do buy one, get the Ultimate Cliploader. It'll make loading the mags so simple, you'll burn through a 500 round box of ammo in one outing.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgrue View Post
It's not. The one is the picture is P512MKIIIRP, Model 10140, and it's the one I just went looking for recently. Only to realize it wasn't CA-approved (it's also listed on Ruger's site as not for CA, I did double-check the CADOJ just to be sure). None of the "RP" models are on the roster.

The best you can do is the P512MKIII, Model 10107, which doesn't have the removable panels. As Trob mentioned, you can get replacement grips that fit over the moulded ones from http://www.tech-custom.com/ (he also sells replacement magazine base pads to match) - I've already got mine on order, I've heard good things about them. Perhaps, not as pretty as the wood, but still attractive and a huge improvement over the plain moulded ones, and quite functional.
Same thing happened to me when I was shopping for mine that's how I know they are not on the roster. I ended up getting 1 22/45 5.5 bull in near new condition here on the marketplace. I did several mods before I ever shot it. With all the talk about modding the frame for 1911 grips voiding the warranty I was reluctant but now that I know the pistol inside and out, and considering the total investment, I think I may go ahead and mill the frame. I can't really see anything happening that it would need to go back to Ruger for.

And for all of you who think they are a pain to take down, once you get the hang of it you won't have a problem. I painted my frame so when I clean it (every 2k rounds) I strip the frame bare and clean it with soap and water, then blow dry so I don't contact the paint with solvent. I can strip it to a bare frame and re-assemble it in 5 minutes.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Nope. You already bought and paid for the gun from Bud's before they shipped it.
That's true. Technically it is on the purchaser to voluntarily pay a use tax.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Wrong...sales tax does apply. Please refer to this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=tax

To the op:

I have a Mark III Target, whereas a buddy of mine has the 22/45. If accuracy and reliability is your primary concern then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any Mark series will give you great reliability like others have mentioned already I'm sure. However, the difference for me (besides the price) is the ergonomics when comparing my MK3 and buddy's 22/45. If price is not a factor, I would recommend going to the shop and try out both models. My Mark3 is a heavier gun, but feels better ergonomically than the 22/45. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 8:36 AM

Find a older mark 2 or older 22/45 used with out the new crap installed. I have both and they are great guns.
Old 05-18-2011, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Mine is not the model that has removable grips. It is the standard grip. I added those rubberized grips that are made by a member on rimfirecentral.com
Uh-oh, I'm sensing another new forum to visit and waste far too much time on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThortheDog View Post
All the 22/45s and Mark IIIs classified as "target" models come pre-drilled and tapped and include a weaver rail.

Hope that helps.
Perfect, I was hoping that was the case, since I may want to put an optic on it at some point. Thanks for all the other info too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgrue View Post
Crap! I really liked the look of the cocobolo grips on the blued gun... F'ing California crap... Oh well, have to settle for the plain-jane version then. I will buy those aftermarket grips for sure, probably need 'em since others have said the grips are pretty slim, and I have larger hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmudave View Post
wanna sell your high-standard?
You know, I would normally sell this pistol in a heart beat. It's not THAT inaccurate. And revolvers don't do much for me, I've always preferred semi's. But this gun belonged to my late uncle and possibly my grandfather before that, so I don't feel right about letting her go... Probably end up giving it to a grand-kid myself some day... Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks for the info everybody. Appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkvig2 View Post
Wrong...sales tax does apply. Please refer to this thread:
Wrong. It's already bought and paid for.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Wrong. It's already bought and paid for.
Unless the TAX is already paid for, the receiving FFL in CA should/will collect CA tax on the out of state purchase price. Whether or not they will, that's another story, that will be entirely their own grave.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Sent a query to Bud's re: availability of this one instead:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13153

and received:

Quote:
Sorry, unfortunately neither of these items are on the doj approved list.
???

Is their response a mistake?

Last edited by xrMike; 05-18-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM

It's on the roster.

P512MKIII / Steel, Polymer Pistol 5.5" .22 LR 2/3/2012

Ruger's website even shows the same model # 10107

http://ruger.com/products/2245BullBarrel/models.html

Click on the "spec sheet" link on the right and it says CA approved - yes
Old 05-18-2011, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
Click on the "spec sheet" link on the right and it says CA approved - yes
Cool, thanks, that's what I thought. Gonna call and order tomorrow.