Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > A.V. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2017, 9:07 PM

Default Just moved to SW Palmdale, Gun Shops/Ranges etc around here?

I was pretty much born and raised in Santa Clarita since 82'... Moved to Texas for about 3 years then to Washington State for the last year but due to issues kind of out of my control to a certain extent I moved back down to SoCal for personal reasons. My range of choice used to be Island View Enterprises in Ventura, Oak Tree in Newhall, A Place to Shoot and occasionally Piru.

I really stopped coming up to Palmdale when they closed LACR (1/4mi drag strip) years ago so im totally lost when it comes groups, places to shoot, any good gun shops?

Would be nice to get that stupid safety card and somewhere to shoot is always a huge bonus. I am mostly a Pistol shooter and used to shoot competitively until I get sick a few years back but I would love to find a place that I can send some lead downrange for those days where you just have the time and itch to go shooting.

Anyhow, Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Hopefully i'll get the ability to meet some fellow shooters up here over time.
Old 10-14-2017, 6:31 AM
Veteran Member

In my oh so humble opinion, the best gun shops are The Vault and High Desert Sporting Arms. I won't step into any other. You will always pay more for guns here then you would have in the SCV as they have us all stuck with needing to make two trips to go anywhere with better prices. No worries to me, I shop both local and within a 2 hour radius if its what I'm looking for.

The best range/club is Desert Marksmen.The only indoor range is The Gun Shop - that place is a health hazard, I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of people simply head north out to BLM land to shoot. Piru isn't too bad of a drive. There is also A Place to Shoot in San Francisquito Canyon - its sorta between Castaic and Palmdale. I won't shoot at Oak Tree due to their involvement with promoting 'smart gun' tech with Armatrex.
Old 10-15-2017, 1:16 PM

I will look into Desert Marksmen, Thank you. A place to shoot is too far for such a sad range (well i haven't been in about 2 years so maybe its not beat to snot and ran by jerks anymore).

Too bad about "The Gun Shop" indoor range. When the summer comes its always nice to have an indoor option to cycle some home defense ammo out of your home protection pieces to cycle stuff around.

I used to work at Oak Tree senior year of High School and while I was attending COC but that was before their pistol/rifle stuff and I was here fighting back calling them on their BS with the Armatrex lies saying they were never on the shelf when I had a picture of it IN their case and one of their pistol bays painted blue with Armatrex logo's and then they were backpedalling hardcore... then when big Sean left I was just done with that place.

Hopefully in some time I will come across fellow shooters up here who know the areas and where there may be some BLM land to shoot at and fellow shooters to go shooting with
Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default BLM & Desert Marksman

IF you really want to shoot BLM land... and thats an "IF" because of the interesting and poor gun handling you'll see when others roll out there and start shooting the opposite direction you are, in gangster sideways uncontrolled fire, with 10 people to shoot one handgun for 2 boxes of ammo and then roll out...

Then this is the location you want: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un...4d-118.3407364

Avoid saturday. (I've actually had some really great days shooting out there, but would never go out by myself, with a couple people and sidearms at ready, ok)

We take tables, chairs, couple pickups, plenty of targets, shoot toward the west up that very long slope. Watch for ATVs and horseback riders out in distance.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Desert Marksman. Its a very open environment for a shooting range in California, you can practice holstered and free tactical range stuff there such as movement unlike many of the bench position only ranges out there. Desert Marksman is pretty affordable as well.

Last edited by lordmorgul; 10-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: caveats emptor
Old 10-21-2017, 1:19 PM

Thanks for the information. I have my targets, tables, tools to clean up and bags with my truck.

typical the "gangsters" ruin it for everyone and make it more dangerous than it should be. BLM in Washington was nice and a lot more shooter friendly.

And as for riders or anything that could be hurt or in danger I am always keeping an eye downrange and behind any targets or backstops.

I will check out Desert marksmanship once I get better organized unpacking my stuff.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
IF you really want to shoot BLM land... and thats an "IF" because of the interesting and poor gun handling you'll see when others roll out there and start shooting the opposite direction you are, in gangster sideways uncontrolled fire, with 10 people to shoot one handgun for 2 boxes of ammo and then roll out...

Then this is the location you want: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un...4d-118.3407364

Avoid saturday. (I've actually had some really great days shooting out there, but would never go out by myself, with a couple people and sidearms at ready, ok)

We take tables, chairs, couple pickups, plenty of targets, shoot toward the west up that very long slope. Watch for ATVs and horseback riders out in distance.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Desert Marksman. Its a very open environment for a shooting range in California, you can practice holstered and free tactical range stuff there such as movement unlike many of the bench position only ranges out there. Desert Marksman is pretty affordable as well.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4IPcnju9qbB7gRcA3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpUMduqASLWjkMXm2

Should have been a little more clear, I remembered that there is private land nearby here so when you get to that exit you want to drive up the dirt road until the turn that goes parallel the mountains toward the south, that’s onto the BLM so go that far or more... probably wouldn’t ever have an issue here being a little bit off but why risk it. People get off the road a few feet and start shooting, make sure to go a bit more.

Last edited by lordmorgul; 10-21-2017 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Broken link
Old 10-23-2017, 7:14 AM

lol yeah the Vault if you wanna pay $60-$100 more. I hit up ricks, In the ghetto but lets facce it, most of the AV is ghetto nowadays. I bought a brand new glock 17 for under $600 after tx n dros, the vault would have milked me for close to $650.00..... Hell my buddies in law enforcement wont even shop there cuz they felt ripped off with the pricing ( one LE was buying a backup smth 442, got it for $100 cheaper at ricks than what the vault wanted ). unless the ghetto scares you or something? lol
Old 10-28-2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4IPcnju9qbB7gRcA3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpUMduqASLWjkMXm2

Should have been a little more clear, I remembered that there is private land nearby here so when you get to that exit you want to drive up the dirt road until the turn that goes parallel the mountains toward the south, that’s onto the BLM so go that far or more... probably wouldn’t ever have an issue here being a little bit off but why risk it. People get off the road a few feet and start shooting, make sure to go a bit more.
Do any shooting groups get together up here? Thank you for the great info BTW.
Old 10-29-2017, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not that I’ve heard of. I have family and a couple friends that shoot and usually end up going with them so haven’t really looked for a group honestly, and have not had time to shoot as often as I’d like.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM

I drive an hour to use desert marksmen. As a Local, you’ll friggin love it!

-Clint Smith