Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-22-2019, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
... people who are NOT business owners, who do NOT make large cash deposits, who do NOT carry valuable equipment to apply. These people may ... regularly goes hiking/biking/backpacking in remote wilderness areas with no or spotty cell coverage and long LE response times.
A CGN member from Sonoma Co contacted me to share publicly that they were issued for roughly the above and that the LEOs/staff involved were friendly and helpful (and very busy processing apps!). The whole process took them ~3 months from application to issuance.

This is more evidence that Sonoma Co is now, under Sheriff Essick, at least light green, possibly even dark green. (The "dark side" of dark green is SD = GC. The "light side" of dark green is where virtually any CGNer could satisfy their GC standard (e.g., avid shooter who regularly transports several semiauto handguns & long guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo to and from a range (and proof of such), thus making Sonoma Co "virtual Shall Issue.")

Last edited by Paladin; 07-09-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM
:)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-23 View Post
Yes, they require three letters of reference as of January 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does anyone know if the character reference letters need to be from actual Sonoma County residents? Also, what sort of information is required to be on the letter?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM

All three of mine were from outside of Sonoma County.

I asked my references to put in information about how long they’ve known me, my character, level of firearms competence/training, and anything else related to my safety and judgment around carrying a firearm.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-23 View Post
All three of mine were from outside of Sonoma County.

I asked my references to put in information about how long they’ve known me, my character, level of firearms competence/training, and anything else related to my safety and judgment around carrying a firearm.

Perfect. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM

I have been given preliminary approval pending character references and training course.

Carrying camera gear and small sums of cash in rural locations for weddings was reason 1. I also mentioned that I participate in a shooting club that is in a very long response time region and that I carry club dues and firearms occasionally for the club.
Old 07-24-2019, 4:06 PM
CGN Contributor

What is the time frame for issuance after the training course certificate and three character reference letters are submitted? Is there another step to the process? An interview?

Last edited by dgc357; 07-24-2019 at 6:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2019, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renomay View Post
I have been given preliminary approval pending character references and training course.

Carrying camera gear and small sums of cash in rural locations for weddings was reason 1. I also mentioned that I participate in a shooting club that is in a very long response time region and that I carry club dues and firearms occasionally for the club.
Thanks for helping others by sharing this info.

And congrats on passing the GC requirement.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:47 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc357 View Post
What is the time frame for issuance after the training course certificate and three character reference letters are submitted? Is there another step to the process? An interview?
I'll answer my own question as I have received an answer. There is no interview. After you send in the reference letters and the course cert, you will receive a call, email and text message requesting final payment (paid online). This this takes 1-2 week from when your last doc is submitted, but YMMV. One that is paid, you are requested to schedule an appointment with the CCW Coordinator to pick up your permit. It's just a brief face to face with the coordinator in the lobby of the SCSO. You sign your CCW and slap your thumb print on it then a copy is made and you are sent on your way.

The whole process from start to finish is about three months, but again, YMMV. I could be less if you have all your documents ready to go when they request them. The training course certificate is only valid for 90 days don't take that too early or you will have to do it again.

Last edited by dgc357; 08-01-2019 at 7:25 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 8:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll answer my own question as I have received an answer. There is no interview. After you send in the reference letters and the course cert, you will receive a call, email and text message requesting final payment (paid online). This this takes 1-2 week from when your last doc is submitted, but YMMV. One that is paid, you are requested to schedule an appointment with the CCW Coordinator to pick up your permit. It's just a brief face to face with the coordinator in the lobby of the SCSO. You sign your CCW and slap your thumb print on it then a copy is made and you are sent on your way.

The whole process from start to finish is about three months, but again, YMMV. I could be less if you have all your documents ready to go when they request them. The training course certificate is only valid for 90 days don't take that too early or you will have to do it again.
You never had a sit down interview during the entire process?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You never had a sit down interview during the entire process?
There was no sit down interview during the entire process.
Old 08-05-2019, 2:30 PM

Anyone find information on the types of guns we are allowed to carry. Can’t seem to find that sort of information on the sheriffs website.
Old 08-05-2019, 5:17 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Excellent. Glad to see good news here.

Renomay, email them. I received an answer from the Lt. I emailed within 24 hours if I remember right. It may have been 36.

I assume (with completely no reason why other than reasoning) that they'll allow most any holsterable handgun that is lawfully owned by you, and doesn't have any abnormal history like SAE. I don't know at all about the SAE thing, but some counties do not allow it.

Unless your desire is something off the wall, I suspect you'd be fine with most any lawfully owned wheelgun or semi auto out there.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:03 AM

I pick up my permit tomorrow at 4pm!
Applied 4/30
Approved 7/7
Training 8/10-11
Issued 8/13
Old 08-15-2019, 3:00 PM

Picking it up right now. Alicia is super friendly. Been very helpful the whole way through.
Old 08-15-2019, 5:51 PM

Thank you to everyone who helped make this a possibility. Y’all are awesome

https://youtu.be/GuBqPg5Lw_s
Timestamps:
Never thought possible: 0:14
New Sheriff is nice: 0:34
Sheriff Website/How to find/what it takes to get 1:30
How to apply 2:05
Cost 2:30
How to track process 3:40
Timeline 4:00
Training: 4:29
Post Training/Character references: 5:25
Overview of process: 5:50
GOOD CAUSE DESCRIPTION/Resources 6:50
Old 08-16-2019, 9:11 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Timestamps:
Congratulations and nice job with the video. This should definitely help some people or motivate others to go out and get their CCW. It can be done, just takes a little effort.
Old 08-26-2019, 2:35 PM
CGN Contributor

A buddy of mine has been trying to do his Live Scan for about a month now, but every time he calls to schedule they tell him the machine is broken. Does anyone know what is going on with this or if they allow an outside company to do the Live Scan on their behalf?

Update: The machine is back up and running.

Last edited by dgc357; 08-30-2019 at 7:21 AM..
Old 09-04-2019, 4:06 PM

For those who are waiting for your Live Scan results, you can check status here
https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov/
Old 09-04-2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
A buddy of mine has been trying to do his Live Scan for about a month now, but every time he calls to schedule they tell him the machine is broken. Does anyone know what is going on with this or if they allow an outside company to do the Live Scan on their behalf?

Update: The machine is back up and running.
I had no problems. Made the appointment and did a live scan a few days later.
Old 09-04-2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:

Timestamps:
Yes, excellent Video. I saw the video and have always enjoyed your content.
Old 09-04-2019, 6:53 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Should be able to do a livescan anywhere. I did mine at the UPS store as a walk in, no appointment required, and the fee was only 10 or 15 bucks over the agency cost.
Old 09-11-2019, 3:48 PM

How's it going for the people who applied for your CCW? Any updates?
Old 10-08-2019, 8:23 PM

Anyone got any updates? I’ve been telling literally every gun person I know about ccw in this county lol.
Old 10-08-2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Anyone got any updates? I’ve been telling literally every gun person I know about ccw in this county lol.
My lazy butt needs to apply

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 7:31 AM
CGN Contributor

Apply, apply, apply! The time is definitely now. Come up with a GC slightly above self defense and you should be be good.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppt View Post
How's it going for the people who applied for your CCW? Any updates?
Quote:
A Sonoma Co member contacted me via PMs a week or two ago and I've yet to share their experience (busy working, helping others, monitoring NYSRPA case, getting ready to move and just trying to enjoy life...), but they got issued and they're another CCWer who indicates Sonoma Co under Essick is at least light green on the map, probably dark green (but requiring more than SD = GC). To be safe, treat it as light green and overkill your app/GC.

If you think about it, you can easily understand why the elected sheriff would keep up the old, restrictive GC policy on the SO's website....

Time is brief, so I'll just paste the advice I gave to Yolo Co applicants recently:

Quote:
Do you EVER buy gas in a bad part of town late at night or before dawn? Do you EVER withdraw cash at ATMs late at night or before dawn? Do you EVER walk your dogs late at night or before dawn? Do you ever go hiking/biking in parks/forests/etc with spotty cell coverage? Do you have a physical disability (heart disease) that makes fighting or fleeing untenable? BE CREATIVE! (But don't lie/make stuff up.) THINK!!!

Again, since you're a newbie I'll go the extra mile: read over at least 3x -- once just to read over, once to read closely and take notes, last time to review before submitting your app to ensure you didn't miss anything -- the first 3 posts at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924 That's for CoCoCo, a yellow county and far harder to get a CCW from than Yolo (probably light green under Lopez).

YOU CAN DO THIS! Go get your Yolo Co CCW now! (But don't have that attitude during your interview. )

And thanks for your service.

Outta here until tomorrow.

ETA: but you have to update us (or at least me via Private Messaging) (see top right area of forum's web page), so that we/I can help others in Yolo Co. If you get issued, encourage your friends, family, coworkers, church friends, shooting buddies, etc. to also apply, esp women.
Be sure to provide evidence to support every assertion/claim you make in your GC (receipts for late night/early morning gas fill ups or ATM usage, photos and maps showing where you hike/bike, etc). USE MY COCOCO ADVICE THREAD!!!

Get your Sonoma Co SO CCW NOW!!!

Last edited by Paladin; 10-17-2019 at 9:33 AM..
Old 10-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Hello!,

New here and I’m pretty sure this is my first post. But I’ll add to the thread.

Sounds like most here is pretty much in the same loop that I em. I had heard that our county has been slowly but surly changing into a more pro 2A place to live. I have always wanted to apply but found no hope and like most just dat dreamed.

I kind of did it backwards as I enjoy training and was in the mood for something different. So I decided it would be fun to take the state required course for CCW and I figured I’d learn something new and get some instructed range time.

So my class was August 15th/16ty I believe.

A week prior I just decided what the heck and I applied for my permit a week prior on the 10th.

After my class I scanned in my certificate and a few other things.

Then I began waiting. I received my initial preliminary approval Thursday the 10th. 60 days after completing my application. I got it about 3pm so I just decided to try and call to see if I could get a reservation for my live scan. Called up about 4pm Thursday and was able to get a reservation for live scan this Monday morning at 8;30.

Not sure how long after live scan it take to get cleared but it sounds like According to Alicia because I already have my certificate I will be pushed right through as soon as my live scan is done
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Do you mind sharing or PM me your good cause?

Old 10-12-2019, 11:10 AM

On another note which seems to be vital info for everyone is good causes. Mine we pretty minimal and very sort and too the point. I didn’t go into great detail or provide any kind of evidence that proves it.

I had a few very Legitimate causes as I own land and a rental in cazadero that I travel to and from to either collect rent and or transport my trailers and or to stay and work on my property. Another is my job requires me to handle and transport large amounts of cash throughout the day and or during the evening alone.

I also added that I transport large amounts of ammo and guns to and from the range which has little to no cell reception

But I also stated that I’m a father of 3 children and we walk, hike and travel on a weekly basis wether around town or in parks.

Pretty sure I didn’t even go into that great of detail when applying, but that seemed to be good enough.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenawhile View Post
Do you mind sharing or PM me your good cause?

Let me know if that’s enough info. I’d be glad to PM
Old 10-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707caz View Post
Let me know if that’s enough info. I’d be glad to PM
That was great, thank you

Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That was great, thank you

Your welcome. Do you mind me asking if you have a permit or are applying?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Your welcome. Do you mind me asking if you have a permit or are applying?
Going to apply

Old 10-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Going to apply

Now seems to be the time for sure. In my class the instructor pointed out that in past history and at the beginning of this year his class sizes ranged from 1-4 people max. And as of August of this year my class had 10 people.
Old 10-12-2019, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
On another note which seems to be vital info for everyone is good causes. Mine we pretty minimal and very sort and too the point. I didn’t go into great detail or provide any kind of evidence that proves it.

I had a few very Legitimate causes as I own land and a rental in cazadero that I travel to and from to either collect rent and or transport my trailers and or to stay and work on my property. Another is my job requires me to handle and transport large amounts of cash throughout the day and or during the evening alone.

I also added that I transport large amounts of ammo and guns to and from the range which has little to no cell reception

But I also stated that I’m a father of 3 children and we walk, hike and travel on a weekly basis wether around town or in parks.

Pretty sure I didn’t even go into that great of detail when applying, but that seemed to be good enough.
If accurate, Essick has probably taken Sonoma Co to "dark green," where they readily issue CCWs and want law-abiding folk who want to carry (not just those who have a need to carry), to apply, get issued and to carry.

If Sonoma Co really is dark green, I will no longer recommend they review my CoCoCo CCW App Advice thread stickied at the top of this forum. They won't need it.

Old 10-13-2019, 7:33 AM

Quote:
If accurate, Essick has probably taken Sonoma Co to "dark green," where they readily issue CCWs and want law-abiding folk who want to carry (not just those who have a need to carry), to apply, get issued and to carry.

If Sonoma Co really is dark green, I will no longer recommend they review my CoCoCo CCW App Advice thread stickied at the top of this forum. They won't need it.

Well I can remember second guessing myself after hitting the submit button and paying the fee. Thinking to myself that my GC statement was Way to short and very non descriptive. I know it was less then a paragraph. I hadn’t done my research to really get a grasp on what I should write. But I knew that I had some very legitimate reasons.

I don’t know the whole process but I’m assuming since I got preliminary approval that my statement was good enough and that I passed the background. Not sure what happens next after live scan
Old 10-13-2019, 7:50 AM

It’s funny how for years I heard so many people say that if they could get a ccw here they would and then went on long rants about how pissed they were that they needed good cause etc. Now it’s opened up and a large majority of those people haven’t submitted applications.
Old 10-14-2019, 8:23 AM

Had my live scan done at 8:30 this morning. She was super nice and friendly which was a great way to start my day. We will see what happens next.

8/10- applied
8/15- took CCW course- I decided to risk it and do it all before.
10/10- preliminary approval
10-14- live scanned.
Old 10-14-2019, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteve View Post
It’s funny how for years I heard so many people say that if they could get a ccw here they would and then went on long rants about how pissed they were that they needed good cause etc. Now it’s opened up and a large majority of those people haven’t submitted applications.
Or they stop posting in their county's CCW app thread. No mention of them applying and how it went. No mention of them getting their family members, friends, neighbors, coworkers or shooting buddies to apply. They just quietly disappear....

Yeah, I've seen that happen before in the threads of other counties (most recently San Diego and Yolo) that have liberalized issuance.

Weird....
Old 10-15-2019, 3:28 PM

Thoughts please:

I've prepared my gc statement. The only firearm I have that I can put on the license is a m&p9. (Suitable only for off body) I intend to purchase something smaller to carry on body.

Should I apply now, "while the getting is good" and then add the other gun later, or buy the other gun now so, in 10 or so days, I can put it on my initial application and apply then.

This is my only hesitation in applying, as I only recently learned of this change in sonoma county.

What would you do?