Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 3:30 PM

Default Time frame for Ninth Circuit to act on magazine ban

When is the soonest the Ninth Circuit could announce any decisions in regards to Becerra's appeal?

And is there anything the Ninth Circuit could do within the next few weeks/months to create another opportunity to legally purchase 11+ round magazines?

I know the Ninth Circuit is unlikely to side with us, but just wondering what could potentially happen under a best case scenario, and what the time frame looks like.
Old 04-08-2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHF1222 View Post
Well, first Becerra has to file his appeal, and until then there is no way to know.
Why do you keep saying this? The Notice of Appeal has been filed. The briefing schedule is set.

Mediation Questionnaire due on 04/11/2019
Transcript ordered by 05/06/2019.
Transcript due 06/03/2019
Appellant Xavier Becerra opening brief due 07/15/2019.
Appellees California Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc., Virginia Duncan, Richard Lewis, Patrick Lovette, David Marguglio and Christopher Waddell answering brief due 08/15/2019.
Appellant's optional reply brief is due 21 days after service of the answering brief.
Old 04-08-2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmchugh.nh View Post
When is the soonest the Ninth Circuit could announce any decisions in regards to Becerra's appeal?

And is there anything the Ninth Circuit could do within the next few weeks/months to create another opportunity to legally purchase 11+ round magazines?

I know the Ninth Circuit is unlikely to side with us, but just wondering what could potentially happen under a best case scenario, and what the time frame looks like.
Nothing is going to happen for more than a year, I assure you. Typical times for civil appeals in the Ninth are 12-20 months. This case is not going to be decided (or argued) before then. The Ninth will wait to see what comes down from SCOTUS in NYSRPA next Spring, and then act accordingly (such that they trample on our rights while purporting to follow the SCOTUS's holding).
Old 04-08-2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSox View Post
Nothing is going to happen for more than a year, I assure you. Typical times for civil appeals in the Ninth are 12-20 months. This case is not going to be decided (or argued) before then. The Ninth will wait to see what comes down from SCOTUS in NYSRPA next Spring, and then act accordingly (such that they trample on our rights while purporting to follow the SCOTUS's holding).

Good info. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2019, 4:52 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thread is now 'stuck' - not much more to say, but it answers an FAQ.

The Michel & Associates page on the case s http://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/

LVSox, have you a link to Becerra's notice of appeal - I seem to have missed it.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-08-2019, 5:11 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Why do you keep saying this? The Notice of Appeal has been filed. The briefing schedule is set.

Appellees California Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc., Virginia Duncan, Richard Lewis, Patrick Lovette, David Marguglio and Christopher Waddell answering brief due 08/15/2019.
Appellant's optional reply brief is due 21 days after service of the answering brief.
Quote:

These are the right answers.

Hopefully a scheduled hearing next Fall and a decision within 'a year' of that.

Of note: the NY case is scheduled for SCOTUS hearing in the fall, with a decision due in the spring. This, presumably, would time about the same time that the CA9 mulls over their case.
It's possible CA9 stays the hearing until guidance (if any) from the NY case is provided, or they could hear the case, and wait on providing a ruling until the NY decision is out.

Regradless, I think, this case will most definitely be appealed enbanc, so 2021.

Lots of 'ifs' could happen in that time.

-------
Old 04-08-2019, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Whatever it is, it will be measured, not in days, but in months. Multiples of 12 months...24/36/48. Kinda like a car warranty.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-08-2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Thread is now 'stuck' - not much more to say, but it answers an FAQ.

The Michel & Associates page on the case s http://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/

LVSox, have you a link to Becerra's notice of appeal - I seem to have missed it.
There’s a copy on the Michel firm’s docket page you just linked. Filed 4/4.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:

And there will almost certainly be extensions of time to file briefs, so add at least a couple of months to the briefing schedule. And oral argument will be maybe 9-12 months after briefing is complete. And then probably several months to a year before a decision is issued.

So, it'll be a while.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
I thought that was a notice of intent to appeal.
And it is to Judge Benitez, not an appeal to the 9th.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I thought that was a notice of intent to appeal.
And it is to Judge Benitez, not an appeal to the 9th.
That is a notice of appeal. Which gets filed with the District Court. Whose clerk transmits it to the Court of Appeals. Whose clerk dockets the matter. All of those things have been done.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I must have asked for the wrong document - where is it published the dates for events you posted in post 2 here?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 04-08-2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I must have asked for the wrong document - where is it published the dates for events you posted in post 2 here?
In the docketing letter. On PACER. Where most federal court filings and orders live. The case number is 19-55376.

Here’s a free link to the bare bones docket report: https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca9/19-55376

Last edited by LVSox; 04-08-2019 at 7:04 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 9:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In the docketing letter. On PACER. Where most federal court filings and orders live. The case number is 19-55376.

Here’s a free link to the bare bones docket report: https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca9/19-55376
Thank you.

You are aware, I'm sure, that the 9th's web site is user-hostile for finding a case without already knowing the case number ...

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-09-2019, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

You are aware, I'm sure, that the 9th's web site is user-hostile for finding a case without already knowing the case number ...
No, I can’t say I’ve found that to be true. Especially where, as here, one already knows the party names, attorney names, district court case number, etc.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No, I can’t say I’ve found that to be true. Especially where, as here, one already knows the party names, attorney names, district court case number, etc.
Meta:
Why would one have a PACER account without the ability to write off the cost?

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Meta:
I guess the answer would be because there is no cost to have a PACER account.

If your actual question is why someone would pay to retrieve court documents without the ability to write off the cost (or have someone else pay), I guess the answer would be because they are usually otherwise unretrievable unless one wanted to visit the court, and one wanted to review them.
Old 04-09-2019, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Meta:
I have had a PACER account ever since I worked for a company that got eaten by a three headed dog in 2002 and cost me $400k. The cost to maintain an account is zero, and the cost per document isn't that much, assuming you know what you are looking for. Browsing, however, can get get expensive.
Old 04-10-2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Imagine if the people who manage our justice/court systems today were in charge of the US Govt back when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor:

12/7/41 Secretary of Defense: "Mr. President! Japan has just bombed Pearl Harbor, destroyed a whole bunch of our ships, and killed 2300 men!! What should we do?"
Pres Roosevelt: "Welllllllllll, lets file some papers, and we'll have a meeting about this matter in six months. At that meeting we'll shuffle some more papers and then decide what to do a year later on it. Hopefully, if we do the same thing, with the paper shuffling and twice-a-year meetings for the 5 years or so, by then perhaps Japan will stop being bad to us and make nice again."
Supporter of conceal and open-carry.[/SIZE]
"It's called the Bill Of Rights. Not the Bill of Needs."[/SIZE]
Old 04-10-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjjj View Post
Imagine if the people who manage our justice/court systems today were in charge of the US Govt back when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor:

12/7/41 Secretary of Defense: "Mr. President! Japan has just bombed Pearl Harbor, destroyed a whole bunch of our ships, and killed 2300 men!! What should we do?"
Pres Roosevelt: "Welllllllllll, lets file some papers, and we'll have a meeting about this matter in six months. At that meeting we'll shuffle some more papers and then decide what to do a year later on it. Hopefully, if we do the same thing, with the paper shuffling and twice-a-year meetings for the 5 years or so, by then perhaps Japan will stop being bad to us and make nice again."
You forgot the part that they are just gonna let every enemy combatant across the border. And anyone who calls it an emergency will be attacked while eating dinner.
Old 04-20-2019, 1:18 PM

Mean while how legal is it to use the 10+ mags we just got in the short window of sanity?
Old 04-20-2019, 1:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwallace View Post
Mean while how legal is it to use the 10+ mags we just got in the short window of sanity?
Wrong thread and wrong forum - see posts 70 and 71 in the sticky in the CA Laws forum.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Default Oral Argument set for Thurs. April 2, 2020

Just to update everybody, Oral arguments are set for Thurs. April 2, 2020 at the Courthouse in Pasadena. Decision will probably not be for some months after that.

http://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/
Old 03-11-2020, 2:39 PM

Is there any point in showing up to rally for support of repeal of the mag ban ? I have a group of people in San Diego and la areas that are interested in showing up for oral arguments and having a peaceful support rally outside. I have tried to contact 2a foundation and the FPC and heard nothing.
Old 03-14-2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris smith View Post
Is there any point in showing up to rally for support of repeal of the mag ban ? I have a group of people in San Diego and la areas that are interested in showing up for oral arguments and having a peaceful support rally outside. I have tried to contact 2a foundation and the FPC and heard nothing.
I would certainly support this!
Old 03-15-2020, 2:09 PM

I'm for being there. I'm sure we could get a nice group together.
Old 04-02-2020, 6:34 AM

Live stream to oral arguments starts in about an hour and change. 0900.

Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

You Are All Ambassadors, Whether You Like It Or Not

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Bureaucracy is the epoxy that lubricates the gears of progress.
Old 04-02-2020, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be watching
If Hell ever needed a operations manual all it would need is a copy of California's laws
Old 04-02-2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Live stream to oral arguments starts in about an hour and change. 0900.

Audio is horrible. Do they not know how to mute when not talking?
Old 04-02-2020, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Big Pimpin's Justice" is kicking this twerps a55 !!
Old 04-02-2020, 8:22 AM

Liking the one gun limit compared to mag limit scenario. The squirming is pretty funny. Mother Jones?

Last edited by EVB; 04-02-2020 at 8:58 AM..
Old 04-02-2020, 8:57 AM

Default magazine ban repeal live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCUv1jjXLs
Old 04-02-2020, 9:00 AM

over 3200 people watching.
Old 04-02-2020, 9:07 AM

If you missed live webcast, you can see recorded version here:

Old 04-02-2020, 9:07 AM

If you missed live webcast, you can see recorded version here:

Old 04-02-2020, 9:22 AM

so what was the result?
Old 04-02-2020, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
so what was the result?
likely nothing for a while. they just heard the arguments. they can take as long as they want. i mean...
Old 04-02-2020, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soginator View Post
likely nothing for a while. they just heard the arguments. they can take as long as they want. i mean...
They said the court was on recces till tomorrow at 0900hrs so we will see tomorrow entails i guess
Old 04-02-2020, 9:51 AM

Wow! From about 7:35 mins in, his arguments on why 10 rounds gets dismantles by 2 judges, and he squirms, love it!!

Also, at 16:09...
The National Rifle Association of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
U.S. Concealed Carry Association
Civilian Marksmanship Program
United States Practical Shooting Association
International Defensive Pistol Association
National Sporting Clays Association

Last edited by fifer55; 04-02-2020 at 9:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM

Interesting, I won't profess to understanding all of what was said, but here's hoping.
Closed Thread