Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 9:28 AM

Default Any Left Handed Shooters here in the ladies forum?

Hello, from San Diego. I have always shot strong side strong eye Right sided. Now I find myself in a position of being blind in the right eye. Military trained, so everything I know is instinctive shooting. I know I'm blind on the right but I grab a rifle and shoulder it automatically to the right shoulder

Just purchased a new 1911 jail break is 7/10. Looking for other lefties to discuss a few things about shooting their had guns and rifles. Need to wrap my head around lefty shooting. Brass ejections, mag drops, I have an ambi safety so we GTG there.
Old 07-03-2013, 9:57 AM

Yup, mostly lefty all my life, dang those righty firearms anyways!
Always getting beaned by hot empties!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Lessons maybe? I know it's insultingly kiddy car for a soldier to take civilian lessons, but pretend you are starting from absolute scratch. You gotta retrain all the muscle memory you've built up over the years.

Is it possible to learn to shoot the usual way, but to keep both eyes open, even if one doesn't work? Your brain will probably adjust for you by itself.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 07-03-2013, 1:38 PM

Thanks, yes I am thinking lessons, also have a few friends who shoot comps, but they are all right handed even the instructors I have talked to do t shoot left. They are use to dealing with cross dominance. The pistol does not seem to be too much of an issue, either I make a mental note to move my arms left a bit, (which could be a muscle memory training) or the tilt of the head just kinda happens. I use to qualify weak sided when absolutely necessary, but just feels so wrong.

Just looking for ideas. I use to carry during military so everything seems unnatural now.
Old 07-03-2013, 2:22 PM

For what it's worth, to you and others here, I practice handguns with ALL the combinations. I'm naturally left handed, right eyed, but I shoot right and right, usually.

But I practice all the combinations, you never know where your cover is going to be or whether you can use your dominant hand/eye, in a defensive situation. So I do the whole thing. Not a lot, 25 rounds per combination is plenty.

Both hands, right eye (dominant)
Both hands, left eye

Single right hand, right eye
Single right hand, left eye

Single left hand, right eye
Single left hand, left eye.

I'm working on shooting with both eyes open, which makes me dizzy (no cracks, MZ...) But this removes a whole set of combination practice.

And a question, Lady. Are you blind in the right eye as in 'can't see for s**t', or is the eye not working at all?
Old 07-03-2013, 3:37 PM

Bonnie, I am Blind in the right eye, there is one small spot that did not die with the retina, but it is not usable vision. By small spot I mean if you sit 3 feet away from me and I have enough time I might be able to seethe tip of your nose by moving my eye around.

Never had an issue with shooting with booth eyes open, Just me, so now that will be real easy :blush:
Old 07-03-2013, 3:39 PM

Little old Lady, is that with Rifle or All guns? Would wearing a hat help deflect?
Old 07-03-2013, 7:25 PM

I have had two detached retinas both eyes and cataract surgery. I am getting used to my right eye being dominant with my left(ex-dominant) being weaker.

So with open sights I am having the same sort of issues. I see two barrels/front sights with handguns so I am having to relearn myself. Right now I am closing my right eye, I learned to shoot with one eye with handguns. Left is kind of blurry but I compensated by finding the least fuzzy bullseye. At 50 yards I am shooting in the black and getting my groupings closer together and closer to the center.
It is very frustrating to go from sharp vision to not so much. I think with time I can train my right eye. It is like starting over. I am turning my head to the left to get a better look with both eyes but not so much luck yet. I am considering a different prescription for shooting and maybe that will help.

A cap and painted dots on my handgun help lots. I have white dots right now. I might try a different color

As far as rifles, I use scope mounted and use my left eye no problem.
I can shoot either eye or right handed but weaker with shooting right handed with rifles.

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-03-2013 at 7:30 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 6:04 AM

Wow, you have been through the wringer, I actually had to have brain surgery, to repair whole into the brain from an eye surgery that when wrong. During that brain surgery, I woke up blind (dark) on the right side. They say it was an artery occlusion that caused it. Anyways, I have been rehabbing for the last year from all of the issues you deal with, learning about your new disability, as well as the known complications when they have to open up you brain vault. I wish it was just glasses that would help with vision in my right eye. Unfortunately not! But I'm done crying over what will never be again.

Shooting always use to focus me when I was always training at the range, so I have decided to use training as my new focus, it gets me out of the house, doing what I use to love with a passion. I use to be really really good, now I feel like I have training wheels back on (so to Speak).

Of course I had to go and purchase a new box of toys to go play, which is making this adventure exciting. I get the new toy 7/10.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM

I am not a lady, but I am a life long lefty, so I have some experience dealing with a dexterous world.

Brass ejection is rarely a problem, but I have had hot brass bounce off my shooting glasses enough that it bears strict attention. It seems to happen more often during fast drills. I suspect it is worse when my wrist is not completely locked and stable. Eye protection is always mandatory when shooting, but let's just say when a lefty shoots a conventional semi auto, eye protection is double secret mandatory.

The mag release and slide release on a 1911 are fine where they are for a left-hander, as long as you're not one of these left-handers who whines about trivia like scissors designed for righties. The mag release on a 1911 is pretty easy to operate with my index finger when shooting normally (left-handed for me) and requires less shifting of my grip than when I shoot weak hand (right-handed). This may be because I've always done it in the sinister way, but my point is it is easily do-able (Is that a word?).

Revolvers are not a problem once you learn the technique. AR's are fine to operate, maybe more clumsy when you change mags. The difference in controls on most firearms takes a little technique and some practice, and you will get almost as comfortable as the folks for whom these guns were originally designed.

Back in the days when I had a job, I had to qualify with a lot of professionals, in a big organization, in a very competitive atmosphere, using the same equipment and qualification course that they used. I was always one of the two or three top shooters, and I topped or tied for the top spot in all my academy classes. It can be done!!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm not a lady or even female but, I'm a lefty and a NRA certified instructor. I currently have a female student who has some complications due to a car accident 30 years ago. She's having eye dominance issues as well as other physical issues making her weak hand stronger than her strong hand. We are currently trying to find out what styles/techniques are going to work best for her but, have yet to come to any definitive conclusions. I've also shot with many other shooters with other limitations over the years.In fact, DisarmedMarksman (a chairbound double amputee (no left arm or leg)) just used my rifle and equipment in a 1000 yard match last month. He had never shot 1000 before and managed a 3rd place out of 12 with 1st and second going to multiple world record holders. There are other excellent shooters out there who have different limitations which they have been able to overcome. So, keep trying to find out what works best for you.

As far as your military training goes, that's only one type of shooting. Maybe it's not for you anymore. Maybe another type of shooting would better suit your current situation. I'll suggest shopping for an instructor/coach who you feel will help you the best. But, remember that each instructor has different strengths and experiences. A great tactical or SD instructor probably won't know a lot about slow fire bullseye or benchrest shooting and visa versa. Also, you might want to take a basic Women On Target course or two where you will relearn the basics. If you attend the CGSSA ones at Burro (I know it is a few hour drive for you), you will be working with about 6-10 certified instructors who all have experience teaching women. Some might also have experience teaching someone with your needs too. Also, the WOT programs are super cheap! We are currently planning handgun and rifle WOT classes. Even though I haven't heard anything about shotgun classes, if there is enough demand, WOT shotgun classes might be added later.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 AM

I think left handed people are weird.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
I think left handed people are weird.
Unlike you, we think with our right brain.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-04-2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
I am not a lady, but I am a life long lefty, so I have some experience dealing with a dexterous world.

Brass ejection is rarely a problem, but I have had hot brass bounce off my shooting glasses enough that it bears strict attention. It seems to happen more often during fast drills. I suspect it is worse when my wrist is not completely locked and stable. Eye protection is always mandatory when shooting, but let's just say when a lefty shoots a conventional semi auto, eye protection is double secret mandatory.

The mag release and slide release on a 1911 are fine where they are for a left-hander, as long as you're not one of these left-handers who whines about trivia like scissors designed for righties. The mag release on a 1911 is pretty easy to operate with my index finger when shooting normally (left-handed for me) and requires less shifting of my grip than when I shoot weak hand (right-handed). This may be because I've always done it in the sinister way, but my point is it is easily do-able (Is that a word?).

Revolvers are not a problem once you learn the technique. AR's are fine to operate, maybe more clumsy when you change mags. The difference in controls on most firearms takes a little technique and some practice, and you will get almost as comfortable as the folks for whom these guns were originally designed.

Back in the days when I had a job, I had to qualify with a lot of professionals, in a big organization, in a very competitive atmosphere, using the same equipment and qualification course that they used. I was always one of the two or three top shooters, and I topped or tied for the top spot in all my academy classes. It can be done!!
I was raised 'old school' with bolt action rifles and shotguns. I learned to kind of flip them sideways with my right hand to lever in a new cartridge. Looks weird but I get the job done fast.
My 9mm pistol pings empties off the top of my head and I say meh and go on shooting, I bought it because it felt good and it has an ambidextrous mag release.
The eye thing isn't really difficult I just have to keep trying to find a method of what works for me. I actually went from -11 diopter to 20-25 with astigmatism. The detached retina's are a problem because my dominant eye is weaker now.

Last week was my first time shooting since all the eye problems. So I am not really sure of what I am doing yet.
A lady friend and I took out the two .32 revolvers and were shooting in the black at 50 yards while the guys next were at the 10 yard and missing the target with their .40cal Glocks.
I found that turning my head way left so my un dominant right eye was taking up most of the slack helped, but gave me a headache so I went back to using one eye.

Same day with my new carbine at 100 yards after 15 rounds of sighting in and getting used to it I was putting shots almost dead center through the scope.
So all in all was a good day for not shooting for 10 years!

Btw, sorry for your eye problem. I say try training yourself to use just one eye. It works for me.

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-04-2013 at 1:55 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 2:52 PM

" Only left handed people are in their right minds..."
Old 07-07-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOldLady View Post
I'm a leftie and have three burns on my chest from the ejected cartridges from yesterday. Guess I have to dress like a man to prevent that, but sure wish there was a better way!

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Yah, regardless of lefty or righty, deep scoop necklines don't work at the range. I had a cartridge go down a high v neck, still got the scar.

But I LIKE V-necks, so I tie a bandanna cowboy-style around my neck and it does the job. Got 'em in all colors, because I'm so fashion-forward on the range....
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Yah, regardless of lefty or righty, deep scoop necklines don't work at the range. I had a cartridge go down a high v neck, still got the scar.

But I LIKE V-necks, so I tie a bandanna cowboy-style around my neck and it does the job. Got 'em in all colors, because I'm so fashion-forward on the range....
When I use bolt action rifles and twist the rifle up so I can get at the bolt my forehead pays the price or it lands on my chest.

I wear high necked t's to compensate
Old 07-10-2013, 8:51 PM

Wow thanks for all the great info. Just finished picking up my new toy, have it stripped and soaking in FrogLube as I type this. Enjoying the minty fresh smell in the kitchen and the soft hands to boot!

I defiantly will be going to classes as well as hopefully getting protectant enough for a match or twenty
Old 07-10-2013, 8:52 PM

So does that make me right and wrong brained since I am now ambi?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM

I'm a lady AND a left-handed shooter! And a darn good shot, if I do say so myself. All the best to you, Ladyrr. You'll be like an old hand again soon! Keep at it!
Old 07-11-2013, 5:24 AM
CGSSA Associate

I was right hand and eye dominant, but surgery and medical stuff forced me to learn left. I am now ambidextrous in just about everything. One way to g
Train your eyes is to look at coins through a jewelers loop. Looking at things magnified through one eye over time teaches you to keep both eyes open and mentally "shut off" the eye you are not using.
As far as shooting rifles left handed , I would suggest starting with a shot gun , and shooting at skeet or trap. It will be more forgiving at first when you are going through the motions of quickly shouldering and acquiring sight while moving. I have been shooting rifles left handed for almost 20 years now.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post27536285

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 07-11-2013, 9:27 AM

SDfire thanks for the tip. I have shot both trap and skeet before. What a great idea. Ill have to go during the day when not many peep are there so when I am playing with left side I don't hold anyone back. Just frustrating.
Old 07-13-2013, 4:00 AM

Thumbs up

So I went to the LGR Friday. I was impressed that I could shoot strong sided with the left eye. Who would have thought.

Anyways, if I can figure out ho to put up a photo on here I can show you my first set of shots. Dead center, walking up and down in a straight enough line. The longer I shot and tried to hurry, I had a slight issue with no being able to bring the sights to align quickly. Oh well so now I have work to do.

100 rnds in the new gun and happy as a clam.
Old 07-13-2013, 4:02 AM

The walking up and down I was trying to figure out the sight picture, any thing at 25 yards is a straight six, any thing under is sub six. So GTG.
Old 07-13-2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOldLady View Post
I have to learn to dress appropriately when I shoot. I'm a lefty and have four burns from those empties!!! Ouch.

"I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, gunpowder and lead." -Miranda Lambert
Old 07-14-2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess View Post
I have to learn to dress appropriately when I shoot. I'm a lefty and have four burns from those empties!!! Ouch.
Maybe its the model I am using because they usually either hit me in the forehead(sometimes they come to rest on top of my glasses, I should take a camera and have someone take a pic of that) or the top of my noggin depending on if I am using hot loads or not.
I started wearing a wide brimmed hat until I realized I needed hearing protection.
Now it is a cap(I hate caps). Now I get to turn them backwards and look super cool when I shoot my rifle.

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-14-2013 at 4:22 AM..
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM

LOl I am growing my hair back from my surgery and the bangs were just everywhere I did not want them. I figure I have a reason to purchase a really cool shooters hat to go along with all of that new gear I have purchased over the past 2 weeks. Hubs is just shacking bis head. Little did he know that this was a gear intensive sport. He does say that my attitude towards my disability is almost non existant since I went shooting. SO it is all good
Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 AM
CGSSA Associate

Can never have too much shooting gear!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Default so here is my first 4 Mags at 25 yards

IMG_1288.jpg

Testing how to put a photo on here
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
Can never have too much shooting gear!

I want one of those in pink...where can I get one?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Love it Hoss - Can I buy one on 7/26?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM

if you have that front one available save it for me. Please
Old 07-14-2013, 1:03 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia Princess View Post
I want one of those in pink...where can I get one?
Try Can'thavenuthingood's website (GunsR4.us). He has hats and other official Calguns clothing available. I have a few on hand and can mail them as well, but he can do paypal and c/c payments for a secure transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrr View Post
if you have that front one available save it for me. Please
Will do.
Old 07-14-2013, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Attachment 249017

Testing how to put a photo on here
Looks good. When I try shooting right hand/left eye, tilting my head to the right looks just like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!
Old 07-14-2013, 1:20 PM

lol. F*ing photo looked good on this end until it imported. also this was right hand left eye. LOL
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this will help or not but take a look at Civilian Arms Training, www.civilianarmstraining.com. They teach a system call Center Axis Relock aka CAR system. One of the advantages of this system is you shoot with both eyes open. They hold their San Diego classes at North County Shootist Association.

I have been taking classes from them for the last 3-4 years now.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 07-16-2013, 3:24 PM

Thanks ray, no problem here with both eye open, but will look into their training
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
So I went to the LGR Friday. I was impressed that I could shoot strong sided with the left eye. Who would have thought.

Anyways, if I can figure out ho to put up a photo on here I can show you my first set of shots. Dead center, walking up and down in a straight enough line. The longer I shot and tried to hurry, I had a slight issue with no being able to bring the sights to align quickly. Oh well so now I have work to do.

100 rnds in the new gun and happy as a clam.
I am a lefty with a dominant right eye. I grew up when there was nothing made for us lefties, so I learned to adapt. I learned to shoot from either side.

As a teen, the gun club my family belonged to had monthly fun shoots. I always won the competition for switch side shooting. I used my step-dad's semi auto .22 that I shot right handed most of the time because I hated being burned by flying brass. So for the competition I had to shoot left handed, the side I was more accurate from.

I had a stroke 3 years ago, and it affected the vision in my left eye. It took time to adjust to it. I see ghost images that are not there. I went shooting yesterday for the first time since my stroke. The ghost images in my left eye at first affected my shooting left handed. After a while, I started to adjust to it.

It will not be like it was before but if you keep a positive outlook that this is just part of the recovery process and you will figure it out, it will happen.

Taking classes can help also, it never hurts to incorporate new ideas to develop your own personal style.

BTW, I have always hated bolt action rifles because they are not friendly for left handed users.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 AM

When wearing a hat, the casings can bounce off the brim and come at your face or can bounce off the hat away from your face.
>.< just be careful...