Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-05-2012, 2:16 PM

For various reasons, mostly because of not being able to take the training due to scheduling problems, I have been putting off applying for my LTC. Today I discovered that I could schedule my appointment with the SO online and I could do it before I took the class. Before, I was told by the SO that I had to take the class first. That's the good news part. The bad news is that I took the first available appointment and it is June 17, 2013. I thought it was a mistake at first, so I double checked the online calendar they have. I have to wait over a year just to turn in my application; then I get to wait for 3 months for it to be processed. :sigh:

I do have a question. If I can get my training before July 1st,does it still have to be 16 hours?

Last edited by Hdawg; 06-05-2012 at 2:17 PM.. Reason: My inability to write a post without at least one typo...
Old 06-05-2012, 3:43 PM

No, only 8 hours.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 AM

So if I take the class this month, I only need the eight hour class, but will it still count in a year when my appointment is scheduled (June 17, 2013)?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Yes.
Old 07-24-2012, 9:08 PM

With the situation in Stockton, where I work, going to get worse. I think it is time to get off my butt and get my LTC. How are things in Stanislaus right now?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Cost aside, which company gives the best LTC course? My dad needs to go to one, and he wants to get the most out of it. He doesn't want to just sit through a few hours of some guy telling war stories just to fill the requirement. He wants to actually get something out of it.

LFI, Trident, Valley Defense, Sintex, Schells?

Last edited by DRAB_81; 07-26-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post
Cost aside, which company gives the best LTC course? My dad needs to go to one, and he wants to get the most out of it. He doesn't want to just sit through a few hours of some guy telling war stories just to fill the requirement. He wants to actually get something out of it.

LFI, Trident, Valley Defense, Sintex, Schells?

Wts

Weaponstrainingschool.com
Old 07-29-2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G17GUY View Post
Wts

Weaponstrainingschool.com
I think that's the way we're leaning.

Anyone tried to make an appt with the Sherrif's office lately? My pops just tried online, and it said nothing was available through the end of 2013...
Old 08-26-2012, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post
I think that's the way we're leaning.

Anyone tried to make an appt with the Sherrif's office lately? My pops just tried online, and it said nothing was available through the end of 2013...
Just scheduled an appt for myself and my wife on July 5, 2013. There were some appointments available in June.

I've taken 3 classes with WTS and will likely take my CCW class with them as well. I recommend them highly.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Exclamation CCW application appointment - 15 months out

There have been at least 5 violent deaths within blocks of my house. 3 were shot near where we enter the bike trails, 1 by the JHS bridge we cross all the time when we finish at Claus Rd, and 1 was the recent stabbing of a 18 year old MJC student walking with his GF, literally hours after my wife and all our kids were at the park and I was out of state at a conference for work. We're both going to get trained, and per a co-working, we've already scheduled an appointment for our CCW applications.

For those that might be considering - apply online now at the Stanislaus Sherriff's Office online (or in person) as the wait is 15 months as of Feb, 2013. That's right - our application appointments are set for the soonest slots available in June, 2014. You can always cancel your CCW application appointment if you decide not to pursue (they give you a code to cancel it).
Old 02-16-2013, 7:30 AM

Can somebody whi's been through the orivess recently tell me how long it typically takes after fingerprint and application drop off for a detective to contact an applicant for an interview?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Confirmed on the June 2014 date / better get in line now/ takes but a few min on lune to get an app date

History is a myth that men agree to believe.
Napoleon
Old 02-21-2013, 8:04 PM

Is it legal to have the ccw appointments so far out?
Old 02-21-2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanD View Post
Is it legal to have the ccw appointments so far out?
why would it be against the Law??? They do CCW's M,W,F all day long -

Napoleon
Old 02-23-2013, 4:17 PM

My appointment to drop off my LTC application was moved up a few months ago to March 13th so it is only a couple of weeks away. Is the sheriff still issuing based upon personal protection? Should I get a statement from my boss that says that there is no company policy prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms with a valid LTC? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I go to my appointment?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley66 View Post
why would it be against the Law??? They do CCW's M,W,F all day long -
Once more people start applying for ccw's, the wait times are going to have to decrease to pass the smell test. If the DMV told you you needed to wait 1.5 years to turn in an application for a license, the hammer would fall.
Old 02-24-2013, 9:03 PM

Anyone living in Turlock that doesn't want to wait a year or more for an appointment with the Sheriff might try to apply with the Turlock PD. I recently heard that their process takes about a month (because they are only averaging 3-4 applicants per month) and the new Chief who's been there for a year now is not denying the majority of applicants like their old Chief had been.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 02-25-2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Once more people start applying for ccw's, the wait times are going to have to decrease to pass the smell test. If the DMV told you you needed to wait 1.5 years to turn in an application for a license, the hammer would fall.
Well put.
Old 02-27-2013, 8:20 PM

Default New Modesto Police Chief

Does anyone know what the new Modesto Police Chief's stand is on CCWs? Yet another home invasion today. Not that a CCW is needed for home protection, but I want to be able to be in the habit of carrying all the time, including in my front yard (unfenced).

As I posted before, I'm 1.5 years out from my CCW application appointment with the Stanislaus Co. Sheriff.

--

Update (Aug 6, 2013) on Policy Chief Policy for City of Modesto CCWs: Personal defense it not an acceptable Good Cause. Get in line and wait for Stanislaus Co. Sheriff.

Last edited by Jason95357; 08-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Updated info about CoM CCW policy
Old 03-06-2013, 4:31 AM

Made my appointment online today. Scheduled for my interview on August 8, 2014.
Old 03-06-2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
Made my appointment online today. Scheduled for my interview on August 8, 2014.
Heck by then it might be shall issue in every county. LOL
Old 03-16-2013, 1:27 PM

I have heard a rumor that the sheriff of Stanislaus County has sent out a letter stating that the training requirements are soon to change. This change will make acceptable courses of training only those within 35 miles of the sheriff department “acceptable”.

Last edited by G17GUY; 03-17-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-23-2013, 8:42 PM

Default Single shot exemption

Does anyone know the County's policy on off-roster handguns? When I turned in my paperwork I did not add all 3 guns as I want to buy a new carry gun. I was thinking about buying a single shot exemption gun. Has anyone been able to successfully add one of these to their permit? I know that some counties require that the gun be on the current roster. The lady at the appointment said that she would have to make sure all of the guns on my application were ok. I figured that just meant not stolen, but not sure. Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalccwgear View Post
Does anyone know the County's policy on off-roster handguns? When I turned in my paperwork I did not add all 3 guns as I want to buy a new carry gun. I was thinking about buying a single shot exemption gun. Has anyone been able to successfully add one of these to their permit? I know that some counties require that the gun be on the current roster. The lady at the appointment said that she would have to make sure all of the guns on my application were ok. I figured that just meant not stolen, but not sure. Thanks
I have an XDM45, an XDs as well as an XD45 on my permit.
No problem, they just have to be registered in your name.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:33 AM

as long as its not an AW - you will be fine. They used to require you to have the gun reg in Your name, not any longer - however, they do try to get you to reg in your name. A standard colt 45 is not on the list (meaning older, prior to 82 - and lots of people have them.

Napoleon
Old 03-24-2013, 7:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley66 View Post
as long as its not an AW - you will be fine. They used to require you to have the gun reg in Your name, not any longer - however, they do try to get you to reg in your name. A standard colt 45 is not on the list (meaning older, prior to 82 - and lots of people have them.

Thanks for the updated info.
Old 04-11-2013, 7:47 AM

My driver's license, permanent residence are in Stanislaus, my bills are also sent to my address in Stanislaus. However I go to school in Sacramento and I spend most of my time in Yolo county. How would the sheriff view this and would I need to disclose my apartment in Yolo?
Old 04-11-2013, 7:57 AM

its always best to be Honest - you could submit your request and just be honest - answer all questions by being honest - may or may not go through - just depends on questions and answers.

IF you Lie to a question and get caught - it will be a deal killer - IF you lie and do not get caught and somewhere in the future you need to use that weapon - you can bet that lie will come back to haunt you big time.

Napoleon
Old 05-09-2013, 6:27 PM

hey guys I live in Turlock California and I want to obtain my CCW. the only thing that has me concerned is the good cause I don't really have a cause because I live in back to the police station
Old 05-09-2013, 8:04 PM

I don't see a problem...your CCW is not just for around your house near the police station...it's for everywhere else, too. Plus, they are moving the station soon. Ideally, you should be able to just say your good cause is for personal protection, but perhaps realistically, you might look at your own circumstances to see if there is anyone in your past, present or future or anything specific that might want to do you harm (for me it was hiking in remote locations, and needing protection from 4-legged critters, as well as 2-legged ones, but that was not for applying in Turlock or Stanislaus, either). Perhaps someone else will chime in on what might work in your area, but I don't think your proximity to the police station should be an issue.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 05-29-2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I have heard a rumor that the sheriff of Stanislaus County has sent out a letter stating that the training requirements are soon to change. This change will make acceptable courses of training only those within 35 miles of the sheriff department “acceptable”.
As linked on the main StanCo Sheriff CCW site, there is a CCW Policy Update 2013-02-27
letter which states the 35 miles effective Aug, 2014. That means WTS (Soulsbyville) will no longer going to be allowed for CCW after Aug, 2014 as they are 60mi+ away from the StanCo Sheriff's office.

While I understand they have to pick some limits, I'd much rather see it be 35 miles from Stanislaus County. WTS would still be in as Knight's Ferry is in Stanislaus Co. and only 30 miles from Soulsbyville (plus, KF used to be the County seat, way back when, hah!).
Old 05-30-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
As linked on the main StanCo Sheriff CCW site, there is a CCW Policy Update 2013-02-27
letter which states the 35 miles effective Aug, 2014. That means WTS (Soulsbyville) will no longer going to be allowed for CCW after Aug, 2014 as they are 60mi+ away from the StanCo Sheriff's office.

While I understand they have to pick some limits, I'd much rather see it be 35 miles from Stanislaus County. WTS would still be in as Knight's Ferry is in Stanislaus Co. and only 30 miles from Soulsbyville (plus, KF used to be the County seat, way back when, hah!).
Actually, it does say the classroom and live fire range must be within 35 miles, so you need to go by the address for the facility that WTS uses for CCW classes, which is at the Motherlode Gun Club in Jamestown. The Soulsbyville address is only their mailing address. That makes it a bit closer, but it looks like it's still about 50 miles from StanCo's Sheriff's office. Anyway, that really stinks.

Old 06-04-2013, 3:57 AM

Just an FYI.

I heard that the Sheriff's Office is going through all of their records, tossing out anyone with multiple appointments and calling and rescheduling everyone else who has already signed up.

With the additional staff, most of us who have scheduled something should have our appointment within the next 6 months.

This is supposed to happen after 90 days. Their site for CCW is currently down during this rework.

http://www.scsdonline.com/records/ccw-appointment.html
Old 06-10-2013, 8:24 PM

Our area was accepted for a screening in Riverbank's Galaxy 12 for the movie / documentary "Assaulted"

Tugg - Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire in Riverbank, CA on Thursday, June 27, 7:30pm

share the link.

RSVP today to show your support. We need 85 RSVP tickets sold to make this happen.

Quote:
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Today, June 11th, is day 90 since my appointment. I had a phone interview over 30 days ago. What happens if after today I have not received an approval or denial? Should I just keep waiting?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 AM

Good news! I got a call yesterday from (209) 558-1282. They wanted to move my appointment up from June, 2014, to Feb, 2014. Just over 6 months to go for me and the Mrs!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdawg View Post
Today, June 11th, is day 90 since my appointment. I had a phone interview over 30 days ago. What happens if after today I have not received an approval or denial? Should I just keep waiting?
Any word, Hdawg?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Original appointment was scheduled for June 25, 2014. Just got off the phone and my appointment is now March 19, 2014.
Old 08-06-2013, 3:31 AM

Got a call yesterday from the Sheriff's office. My August 2014 appointment was moved to April 1, 2014. Still a long ways off but at least 4 months earlier.
Old 08-27-2013, 2:59 PM

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but can somebody define clean background? Does that mean absolutely nothing on their record. I hit a couple bumps in the road in the past( about 10yrs ago) no felonies, and am wondering if that will prevent my CCW from being approved. Is that a judgement call on the sheriffs dept or are their written requirements for what your record must look like? I'm sure many people are in the same situation as I am. My appt is in July 2014 and I just wanted to be as prepared as I need to be.