Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 09-05-2017, 4:21 PM

Default What is the best Belly Band holster? Brand?

As the title states... Looking for ideas and first hand reviews. Thank you!!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have one...it's the "Belly Band" brand. They are such a simple design..that I'd just about guess you can't go wrong with whichever brand you choose.

Here it is on Amazon....$10 shipped Prime. Can't beat that.

https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Band-Ho...lly+band&psc=1

It's a good concept. I got mine on a whim at a gunshow about 5 years ago. It works..I actually wore mine a couple times, but I was more comfortable with it above my belly...under the armpit about elbow height. I haven't used it in quite a while tho..mostly just pocket carry now. But I did find it to be reasonably comfortable. I probably wouldn't want it there all day tho. But for a couple hours? It was fine.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Look at Crossbreed. Their version comes with a kydex insert that give you much greater trigger protection.

Fighter Pilot
Old 09-11-2017, 4:51 PM

I use a Pistol wear. Check it out.
Old 09-11-2017, 5:03 PM

Unity Tactical Clutch belt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-11-2017, 6:01 PM

I have a Daltech bellyband.
Only issue I have is it gets a bit warm working outdoors all day.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 09-12-2017, 3:16 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Look at Crossbreed. Their version comes with a kydex insert that give you much greater trigger protection.
I bought one of those when they first came out, along with kydex inserts for my Glock 36 and sig 238.

I use it for when I'm running. Works great, no complaints.

Keep in mind that while it's called a "belly band", its name is a little misleading (and so are MANY of the photos that show people wearing them). They are not exactly meant for wearing the pistol on your belly/midsection (though for some people that might work). Rather, you would have the pistol in exactly the same place as you would normally carry IWB, with the pistol tucked behind your waistband exactly the same way. The primary benefit, for me, is that it takes the pistol's weight off your pants, which is great while running.

I don't wear mine for more than about an hour at a time though, and I'm betting it would be pretty uncomfortable wearing it for longer than that. I strongly prefer standard IWB holsters for EDC.

Old 09-12-2017, 3:39 PM

I use a Smart Carry every day. http://www.smartcarry.com
Old 09-12-2017, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

OP, the question is what are your uses. I sell inexpensive, and custom. What is best depends on need. Also realize that even with the best belly bands if your going to use them regularly your going to need two or three.
A number of manufactures offer off the shelf, which will satisfy 90% of users, but then there are the custom needs. I have had a female customer add a holster on the belt for an epi pen for her daughter. I have had customers add tac med kits, or naloxone pens. My narcotics officers often have the band designed for two pairs of handcuffs, flashlight, two guns, and four mags. There is a generic lay, or a custom layout.
Then do you need the support of 6" band or 4" band. Color, lace? may impact concealment. Are you in a hot environment, do you want a technical moister wicking fabric? Do you want the gun horizontal, or vertical?

If you just want a brand to look at without consultation, then Daltech Force is far and away the best. The family that owns the business currently have three members in law enforcement, two of who work undercover, and narcotics. They make everything they make to work for real for professional clients. I have had them make custom rigs for my law enforcement, VIP Operators, and even military. Their stuff is good.
Having said that what you see off the shelf is excellent, what they will do for me on custom orders are different.
I would still be sure you know what you want first. Feel free to call us if you want to discuss things to consider. No obligation to buy from us. There are a lot of things to consider when looking at a belly band that most people really don't consider. The first is that they aren't really meant to be worn around the belly. The are worn around the hips, IWB, so that just the grip of the gun is above the belt. Do you want level one or two retention. Nested on non nested holster? How many mags or accessories? Appendix or elsewhere. You can always position the gun where you want, but that influences the mag and accessory location, good to understand in advance. Price can be anywhere from $18.99 to well over $100. Typical price is $18.99 - $65.
Stay Safe, hope this helps.

Last edited by grantar2; 09-12-2017 at 5:15 PM..
Old 09-12-2017, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
I use a Smart Carry every day. http://www.smartcarry.com
Smartcarry is awesome, Wore mine as backup for 6 years and zero issues. Trigger fully covered, can't finger F it to go off unless u want it to, and failrly comfortable for all day wear depending on firearm.
Old 09-12-2017, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Smartcarry is awesome, Wore mine as backup for 6 years and zero issues. Trigger fully covered, can't finger F it to go off unless u want it to, and failrly comfortable for all day wear depending on firearm.

Smart carry is good, but your assuming he wants to carry up front. Many wearing belly bands don't, they aren't able to wear a belt, or risk any external sign.

The OP really needs to explain where he wants to carry, and why is he considering an belly band.

If he wants to carry center line, than Smart carry can be a very good choice.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

I like the unity tactical clutch.
Old 09-14-2017, 3:41 PM

Pistol wear, hands down

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 09-14-2017, 4:09 PM

I sometimes use SmartCarry. But I also had my pistol dump right out of my pants in front of me while doing a simple push up. Abs contract, space created, pistol out. Was all the way under my belt before. Dumped right on the floor in front of the kids. Not very confidence inspiring considering what we actually carry a pistol for... I wish I had a similar-size/weight dummy pistol to take to the Krav class so I could put retention to the test. Belly band might be a better option.
Old 09-14-2017, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I sometimes use SmartCarry. But I also had my pistol dump right out of my pants in front of me while doing a simple push up. Abs contract, space created, pistol out. Was all the way under my belt before. Dumped right on the floor in front of the kids. Not very confidence inspiring considering what we actually carry a pistol for... I wish I had a similar-size/weight dummy pistol to take to the Krav class so I could put retention to the test. Belly band might be a better option.
There are weighted pistols available on the market. Most blue guns are available both weighted and unweighted. What size gun are you trying to simulate?
Old 09-14-2017, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Belly bands can be purchased with level II retention, so that isn't the issue. Practice accessing the weapon with retention is necessary. The key for many with a belly band is that they need more than one if it's their primary method of carry. They require extra care, hand wash, air dry to last. They can be hot depending on design features. (Not always a good choice for menopausal women).

The key with a belly band to be successful you need to know what you want. Many people really don't know what they want, why they want a feature, and what the pros and cons are. Many people will sell you what they produce, but few will custom fit you. By custom fit I mean more than your size, but feature, location of components. A proper belly band is a carry system.

I sell to members of the gang task force, FBI and others, retention is important to them. Belly bands can meet that roll. It's why guys like Rob Pincus at PDN, and other professionals often use that method of carry.

There is friction retention, i.e. the elastic covers enough of the gun to make it hard to fall out even in a fight, and there is physical retention such as a strap that has to be removed before the gun can be drawn. Much like a LEO's level II or III duty holster makes his/her draw slower than can be accomplished with a standard OWB it works to prevent another from grabbing the gun.

Trades to be discussed and tried.