Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-11-2017, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Temporary Holster

I will be visiting a constitutional carry state and while there want to see if I like concealed carry, but I don't have a holster for my Sig P229. I need to buy one and since this is only a temporary thing I do not want to spend too much, but don't want a piece of junk. If I later move to a shall issue state or somehow get a CA CCW I can then think about something better. Suggestions please for IWB.
Old 08-11-2017, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Walmart carries nylon holsters for cheap and theyre universal fit.
Old 08-15-2017, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Buy a quality holster, don't go cheap. A quick Amazon search turned up a few good holster's. I'm kind of partial to leather, and De Santis and Galco both have belt holster's under $100. If you don't like it of find it's not your thing you can always sell it and recoup some of your money.
Old 08-15-2017, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

PRet Thanks. I ordered a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB. I don't know if it is a quality holster, but it will be used very rarely. For EDC I would spend the $$$ on something like you suggest. Lonestargrizzly's idea of a Walmart universal holster would be better than nothing, but even for temporary I decided to stretch the budget for something that appears decent and seems to well protect the trigger guard.

For a belt, I am going with a "$30 Holster".
Old 08-15-2017, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

P5Ret Thanks. I ordered a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB. I don't know if it is a quality holster, but it will be used very rarely. For EDC I would spend the $$$ on something like you suggest. Lonestargrizzly's idea of a Walmart universal holster would be better than nothing, but even for temporary I decided to stretch the budget for something that appears decent and seems to well protect the trigger guard.

For a belt, I am going with a "$30 Holster".
Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Buy a quality holster, don't go cheap.
I'll second that. You might think it's just a "one time use only" thing, but you might find that you like it and want to start carrying more often, such as around the house or while camping or fishing, or maybe even one day you may get a CA CCW if you don't live in a no-issue county. It would be nice to have a real, quality holster for those times.

I see you chose the Alien Gear - good choice. I personally really like my Crossbreeds

Old 08-22-2017, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
I will be visiting a constitutional carry state and while there want to see if I like concealed carry, but I don't have a holster for my Sig P229. I need to buy one and since this is only a temporary thing I do not want to spend too much, but don't want a piece of junk. If I later move to a shall issue state or somehow get a CA CCW I can then think about something better. Suggestions please for IWB.
Chewy, where do you live (you can PM me)? Do you plan to carry IWB or OWB with a cover garment? If your in So. OC I might be able to help you.

Remember in some constitutional carry states such as Arizona there are restrictions if you don't have a CCW. I know that seems counter intuitive but it's true. Big thing is remember that Indian territory is not subject to the state carry laws.

Last edited by grantar2; 08-22-2017 at 8:09 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the pointer on AZ restrictions and Indian territory. I pm'd you. This will be IWB.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Walmart carries nylon holsters for cheap and theyre universal fit.
yep, I've got some Uncle Mike's small something and it works great for everything from Bersa 380 to Glock35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster and it seems to be a good choice for my purposes. It isn't perfect and the decocker tends to snag on the edge of the backer unless I push the backer away as I holster the sig, but I think I can get used to that. Thanks to all
Old 08-26-2017, 6:20 AM
Veteran Member

The way to figure out if you like concealed carry or not isnt to buy a cheap uncomfortable holster.

Gcode, raven, griffon, off the grid, etc are all good to go but i dont think most of them make sig holsters. Guess you'll have to buy a glock
Old 08-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

The A.G. isn't at all uncomfortable, even if it is inexpensive. Don't confuse inexpensive with cheap as in Glock.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Having broken the holster in by wearing it around the house and finally practicing shooting from it at a range, I think the A.G. 3.0 iwb on the $30 dollar belt is fine for my purposes, which is occasionally carrying a relatively large pistol; the Sig P-229R. I am fairly pleased with how it conceals on my smaller, if not slightly porky, frame.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

So I carried the P229 at the 3:30 position in the Alien Gear 3.0 IWB for a week back in Kansas City and I was surprised by how I barely knew I was carrying. Yes it printed, but I didn't bother to wear larger size or heavier clothing.
Old 10-04-2017, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

If you can't get into what's posted here.

Try Amazon, find what you may like, then (click) reviews, then make a decision based on those reviews.

I think it helps to see what some say about products good/bad/ugly.

1st thing I check is at bottom of reviews, I click on (see all verified purchase reviews) then on right of new page (TOP CRITICAL REVIEWS) this is were the the rubber meets the road IMHO.

I use this as a starting gauge to see the bad, & to see if I can live with it before I look further into the good of reviews to solidify my decisions.

Just an idea. might work for you, maybe not, give it a go & see for your self.