Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-02-2019, 6:38 AM

Default Precision Rimfire

Hey guys. I'm new to CalGuns. I'm very interested in getting into the precision .22 game. I'd like to build precision .22LR rifle. While there seems to be an infinite amount of information on how to build a precision 6.5, .308, etc. online, there doesn't seem to be as much on rimfire precision.

1. Can you recommend some good sources of information with links?
2. I have a 10/22 takedown. I like the 10/22 platform. Any recommendations on aftermarket barrels, components, stocks, etc?
3. Is there such a thing as rimfire match ammo?
4. I reload. Is there such thing as rimfire reloading?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 7:48 AM

I guess you're talking about PRS type specifically ?

You'll probably get some responses on precision in general so sort that out.

Be careful about gearing up for exactly what you want to do based on internet info then finding you have to drive for several hours to do it.

1. google the internet. accurate shooter and rimfire central are a couple of decent places. There may be better for specifically what you want. maybe snipers hide

2. not my thing

3. Absolutely. Several brands, mostly on a get-what-you-pay-for basis. Most match is standard(subsonic) velocity. Maybe for PRS high-velocity has advantages in less drop???

4. I guess it's technically been done but basically no.
Old 01-02-2019, 9:29 AM

Like Kzin mentioned it depends on what type of game you want to play. If you are looking for PRS style matches, then I would recommend looking to see if there is a club near you running NRL22 matches. These are really fun PRS style matches scaled down to 100 yards for .22 rifles. Here is a link to the course of fire for January to give you an idea of what they do: http://nrl22.org/wp-content/uploads/..._Jan19_COF.pdf

I have competed in a couple matches at Sage Ranch in Ridgecrest and it is a fun match with a good group of folks.

You can compete with a stock rifle to try it out before making any modifications, I have seen folks compete with a pretty stock 10/22 and usually there is a stock savage to loan for folks that want to try it out.

I shoot bolt action guns but I think rimfirecentral.com has a wealth of information about the 10/22 platform.

Like Kzin mentioned you want to try sub-sonic ammo for best results. CCI standard velocity and Wolf Match Target are some brands to try to start without breaking the bank. Not sure how picky auto-loaders are with ammo though.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM

You can put 1000 dollars in a 10/22 and it will shoot just as good as a $400 CZ 455 Varmint out of the box. Buy really good ammo and stick with a bolt action rather than an auto.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Awesome, info. Thank you guys. A $400 CZ 455, eh? I'll have to look that one up. THanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSAOC View Post
Awesome, info. Thank you guys. A $400 CZ 455, eh? I'll have to look that one up. THanks!
I just got one from Buds for $370 something on a price match. Another one to look at is the Tikka T1X. They can be had for around $450.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:34 AM

There is an NRL22 match this Sunday at Sage Range in Ridgecrest if you are in the area and want to check it out: Link
Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe47 View Post
You can put 1000 dollars in a 10/22 and it will shoot just as good as a $400 CZ 455 Varmint out of the box. Buy really good ammo and stick with a bolt action rather than an auto.
Depends how you calculate that. You take home a $400 455 Varmint, it becomes an $800 gun if you want to shoot it - mount, rings, scope, extras like bipod.

But 10/22's have become more expensive and so have the barrels.

I think they are about the same price really, and the CZ 455 or new 457 is the better choice.

A lot of the real serious shooters replace the barrels and work the trigger on the 455 too.

Biggest costs are the SCOPE choice and the AMMO, IMHO.

FYI, the newer models are out now. CZ 457. 457 .22 LR Varmint wood stock 20.5" barrel is about $452, .22 MAG version is about $533. Versions with Boyds stock or Manners will be more. Looks like the "PRO Varmint" replaces the 455 Tacticool (threaded barrel, Boyds stock) - $578. Anything in Manner's stocks are over $1100. Nice lineup. New mid-range Boyd's stock has adjustable comb and LOP under $700.

https://grabagun.com/search/?q=cz+457

I guess I'd be interested to see if the bolt clearance is an issue on the 455, but it seems like a non-issue with my scope/mount. I got my 455 Tacticool Varmint for $400 range and was helping my LGS going out of business clear his stock. If I even got a 457 it would be .22 Mag. The new name "Pro" beats "Tacticool" hands-down. That's the only con to my 455 so far besides the 11mm rail.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-09-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-09-2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmphaticThumb View Post
Now that looks like a hoot! If that is what precision rimfire is all about, even I would give that a shot.

Below is what I just did with the 10/22 on the low end side. I already had the stock and glass so current cost was right at $400. If you add in what I paid for the stock and glass, it's $560 and worth every penny.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1500531
Old 01-09-2019, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Old 01-09-2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post

It appears that CZ' s are no bueno in the NRL 22. MSRP must be under $350 for the base rifle, but apparently one can upgrade with an unlimited budget.
Old 01-09-2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
It appears that CZ' s are no bueno in the NRL 22. MSRP must be under $350 for the base rifle, but apparently one can upgrade with an unlimited budget.
CZs are specifically excluded from the NRL22 "Base Class", which is a pretty limited list of stock rifles. Everything else shoots in the "Open" class. At the couple matches I have shot I have seen folks shoot mostly in the open class with one person shooting a stock Savage in the Bass class. The guns in the open class have been anything from a lightly modded 10/22, to several CZs, to a Vudoo V22 .

Most of the NRL22 targets are pretty generous so I think how well the shooter can shoot off barricades and from odd positions probably makes more of a difference than the rifle most of the time. There are certain targets like the .25 KYL or certain stages, like paper at 100 yards where the limits of the gun might matter.
Old 01-09-2019, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
They do have quite a few basic models where the street price is under $350 but I don't know where the limit comes from. Could be price paid or could be MSRP? There are "Scout" modes and "Trainer" models that are basic/basic stocks but still tack drivers. "Standard" model 455 sells for $315 and the MSRP says $324 at least on BUDS.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...STANDARD+22LR+
Old 01-09-2019, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The first video is the best ever demonstration of MOA and bullet trajectory of 100 and 50 yards that I ever seen.
And I wonder what kind of ammo he used. (Edit: watch the video again, the shooter said he shoot Lapua Center-X ammo)
Thanks Cruff.

Last edited by newbie1234; 01-09-2019 at 4:10 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
The first video is the best ever demonstration of MOA and bullet trajectory of 100 and 50 yards that I ever seen.
And I wonder what kind of ammo he used.
Thanks Cruff.
There are quite a few rimfire channels that are good. I like that guy and Long Range Shooters of Utah. He may be using expensive Fed Gold Medal Match or Expensive Lapua... I'll post if I re-watch and he shares it. Uses Fed GMM in other videos past 200 yards.
Old 01-09-2019, 4:28 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

No love for the Ruger Precision Rimfire? I recently picked one of these up, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I just got the glass mounted last night and plan to bore sight it and shoot it within the next couple of weeks.

Jerry
Old 01-09-2019, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Where were you guys all the years we were begging people to come to the CAPRC Precision Rimfire matches at Angeles range? I quit running the matches from lack of interest.
Old 01-09-2019, 5:02 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Where were you guys all the years we were begging people to come to the CAPRC Precision Rimfire matches at Angeles range? I quit running the matches from lack of interest.
same place I'm at now, in the bay area!
Old 01-09-2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
CZs are specifically excluded from the NRL22 "Base Class", which is a pretty limited list of stock rifles. Everything else shoots in the "Open" class. At the couple matches I have shot I have seen folks shoot mostly in the open class with one person shooting a stock Savage in the Bass class. The guns in the open class have been anything from a lightly modded 10/22, to several CZs, to a Vudoo V22 .

Most of the NRL22 targets are pretty generous so I think how well the shooter can shoot off barricades and from odd positions probably makes more of a difference than the rifle most of the time. There are certain targets like the .25 KYL or certain stages, like paper at 100 yards where the limits of the gun might matter.

Oh I see. Looks like a lot of fun. I'd shoot it, but no matches close enough.
Old 01-10-2019, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
No love for the Ruger Precision Rimfire? I recently picked one of these up, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I just got the glass mounted last night and plan to bore sight it and shoot it within the next couple of weeks.

Jerry
I have been following it since release and see it around a lot on sale for $399... have not checked one out in person yet.

There are comparos, etc... on Youtube to CZ's.

I wanted something traditional, like my 10/22... hogue nylon, Volquartsen barrel. I guess I was more interested in a .308 or .300 Win Mag RPR, maybe just tired of looking at AR's or empty MLOK slots.
Old 01-10-2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post

Jerry
I saw a NRL 22 gear survey. 3% of the Shooters were using the Ruger Precision Rimfire.

I bought one not long ago. I like it, haven't shot it much. It's an awkward balanced gun. Very muzzle heavy. It works well with a bipod, offhand the balance works against me. I did ok offhand, but I cant stand and deliver 10 shots very well. 3 or 4 and I start fighting it. I've not tried it from sitting or kneeling, but I'm guessing the muzzle heavy balance will be detrimental to those positions as well.
Old 01-10-2019, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I bet the bolt on the RPR is huge compared to the CZ455 Varmint. It would be nice to have a larger bolt handle. As far as the feel on my CZ 455 in the Boyd's stock... it feels like my Rem700P to me. Heavy, ridgid, traditional. The trigger reminds me of the REM700P too.

The prices I have seen don't put the RPR in the $350 or under range.
Old 01-14-2019, 8:44 AM

I participated in the NRL22 January match at Sage Range yesterday and had a lot of fun as always. There were 2 new shooters trying the match using a Ruger American Rimfire and a Ruger Precision Rimfire and they did well. I think the RPR would be fine for these competitions if folks like that platform.
Old 01-14-2019, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I participated in the NRL22 January match at Sage Range yesterday and had a lot of fun as always. There were 2 new shooters trying the match using a Ruger American Rimfire and a Ruger Precision Rimfire and they did well. I think the RPR would be fine for these competitions if folks like that platform.
What did you use? What other rifles did you notice?
Old 01-14-2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
What did you use? What other rifles did you notice?
I shot a Vudoo V22 in a KRG Bravo stock. The other rifles were a Kidd semi-auto, a CZ in a MPA chassis, a Savage Mark II FV, and a 10/22 in some sort of chassis(maybe Archangel, didn't ask).
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I shot a Vudoo V22 in a KRG Bravo stock.
NICE.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Threads like this make me want to go out and buy an Anschutz.

To the OP; you'll love having a non-recoiling rifle that you can blast all day and not spend a lot on.

Like an idiot, I had a CZ455 that was stupid accurate but sold it off because I quickly grew tired of .22lr

Like any good rifle, it deserves good glass
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM

As many have said, CZ rimfire rifes are among the most accurate out of the box, short of an Anshultz Olympic Rifle.

This is my CZ452 in a Custom Klinsky Stock with BRNO Peep Sights.

It shoots pretty darn accurate too.

Only thing you will find that is probably more accurate will be the Olympic competition rifles by Ansultz.

Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM

I have a full Kidd 10/22 build and I like it. But my stock CZ 452 trainer is way more accurate.
Old 01-15-2019, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
I have a full Kidd 10/22 build and I like it. But my stock CZ 452 trainer is way more accurate.
Everything I've read about the CZ's and the RPR is that the CZ's edge out the RPR's handily (accuracy-wise, consistency-wise)

I can compare to my 10/22 with VQ choked stainless / muzzle-weighted barrel, but every barrel likes different ammo. I'm going to try SK Magazine, Fed Gold Match, various Aguilla Match, CCI SV, CCI Competition Select... and Golden Bullets apparently (judging by the group above). I still have 12 buckets... and who knows how many 525 packs. If GB shoots like that, I will be celebrating.
Old 01-15-2019, 2:39 PM

[QUOTE=crufflers;22553664]Everything I've read about the CZ's and the RPR is that the CZ's edge out the RPR's handily (accuracy-wise, consistency-wise)

And quality wise. Especially the 452’s.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 AM

Bumping this thread to mention that there will be a match this weekend on Feb 2, at 8:00 at Sage Range in Ridgecrest shooting the February NRL22 course of fire. This is a fun PRS style match for .22 long rifle guns, very chill and open to beginners.

February NRL22 Course of Fire