Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2017, 1:08 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Messed up disassembling shotgun.

Edit: thank you to everyone who offeted their advise. I have been enlightened, and the shotgun aopears to have no damage and cyckes betrer than before now!

Anyone walk me through? Pulled the trigger while it was disassembled. Because i don't know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by A Fox; 08-09-2017 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2017, 7:12 AM
Kwikvette's Avatar
Kwikvette Kwikvette is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Monterey County
Posts: 2,821
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

You shouldn't own firearms if you don't know what you're doing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1 View Post
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2017, 7:19 AM
Skip_Dog's Avatar
Skip_Dog Skip_Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 385
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

You need to take the trigger assy out and see what you broke and order a new one. Never pull the trigger...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2017, 7:36 AM
WartHog's Avatar
WartHog WartHog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Redwood Gulag
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

You went Full Trigger Tard - Never go Full Trigger Tard...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2017, 7:59 AM
sealocan sealocan is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,760
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

I would hope that there's a YouTube video that will help walk you through it a little bit easier.

Live and learn.

Good luck and be thankful it's not a very expensive shotgun.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:02 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
You shouldn't own firearms if you don't know what you're doing
Kinda take offence to that. I can properly handle a firearm. Maintenance on the other hand, not my strong suit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:02 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
You need to take the trigger assy out and see what you broke and order a new one. Never pull the trigger...
Would pulling the trigger with the barrel out break something?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:03 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
You went Full Trigger Tard - Never go Full Trigger Tard...
We all have those moments,

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:03 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I would hope that there's a YouTube video that will help walk you through it a little bit easier.

Live and learn.

Good luck and be thankful it's not a very expensive shotgun.
It ain't even mine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:04 AM
racinjason233 racinjason233 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 515
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

do you have land to hunt on OP?

I can drive out fix your gun quick, then bring back some wild game...

It is very easy to remove the pins on your receiver, remove pins give action a good visual inspection, hop on brownells if needed, install parts back where they are supposed to go... test fire at round orange flying things.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:04 AM
Calico1404's Avatar
Calico1404 Calico1404 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,027
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
You went Full Trigger Tard - Never go Full Trigger Tard...
OK this was funny
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:05 AM
Calico1404's Avatar
Calico1404 Calico1404 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,027
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
You shouldn't own firearms if you don't know what you're doing
I am hoping I sense sarcasm, if this was an actual statement it would be surprising coming from a member and senior.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:10 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
do you have land to hunt on OP?

I can drive out fix your gun quick, then bring back some wild game...

It is very easy to remove the pins on your receiver, remove pins give action a good visual inspection, hop on brownells if needed, install parts back where they are supposed to go... test fire at round orange flying things.
Nah, I'm city folk.

I was attempting to field strip it without help because I was pissed off. Mainly decided not to **** with it without advice first

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:16 AM
mike.h's Avatar
mike.h mike.h is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: petaluma
Posts: 1,253
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

maybe the easiest solution would be to seek out a gun smith.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:23 AM
Kwikvette's Avatar
Kwikvette Kwikvette is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Monterey County
Posts: 2,821
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Chill.

I'd disassemble, look up the downed shotgun, and assemble as needed very carefully.

We all have one of those WTF moments; I know I did when I took apart my first Mossberg over 15 years ago. I remember the elevator assembly and slide action assembly giving me problems but of course it was user-error.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1 View Post
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:23 AM
BigPimping's Avatar
BigPimping BigPimping is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roasting those freaks in the hoood
Posts: 15,293
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

I think that a competent gunsmith or maybe a trip back to the original manufacturer at the factory would be helpful. If you know the model number and serial number of the gun, that would help. There may be a YouTube video available that would walk you through the disassembly and reassembly process
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:31 AM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,627
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
You shouldn't own firearms if you don't know what you're doing
Learn by doing.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

OP is merely taking his part in the timeless tradition of self-taught repair. Nothing wrong with that. It's how I learned.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:37 AM
WartHog's Avatar
WartHog WartHog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Redwood Gulag
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

OP - I found this H&R PDF owners manual - hope it is of help to you.

Edit - it was for a break-barrel 1871 model, not a pump so no use to you.

Last edited by WartHog; 08-09-2017 at 8:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:39 AM
SkyHawk's Avatar
SkyHawk SkyHawk is offline
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Overhead Orbit
Posts: 9,610
iTrader: 119 / 100%
Default

Pull the barrel back off, remove the trigger assembly and see if you can cock it. That may be all it needs for reassembly.

Drift out those two pins and the trigger group will come out the bottom as one unit. Cock the hammer, put the trigger group back into the gun.

Skip to 4:37 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEux67awHc

__________________
.



"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-09-2017 at 8:41 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-09-2017, 8:46 AM
WartHog's Avatar
WartHog WartHog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Redwood Gulag
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

OP - this link should get you the owners manual for your shotgun - http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.asp
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-09-2017, 9:01 AM
WartHog's Avatar
WartHog WartHog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Redwood Gulag
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Ok - I called H&R and asked one of their Techs if pulling the trigger with the barrel removed from the action would cause any problems and they said no. They suggested reinstalling the barrel and checking to see if the action cycles and the trigger operates properly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-09-2017, 9:02 AM
jeremyro jeremyro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 978
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Well you also messed up posting in the rifle thread instead of shotgun so it has not been a great day for you.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Skip_Dog's Avatar
Skip_Dog Skip_Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 385
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Ok - I called H&R and asked one of their Techs if pulling the trigger with the barrel removed from the action would cause any problems and they said no. They suggested reinstalling the barrel and checking to see if the action cycles and the trigger operates properly.
nope.. Pull the trigger out by removing the 2 pins (as stated in above posts). Look for the broken part in the trigger group. Remove it and order a new one. Cost about $5 plus shipping.
Ask me how I know? I went full trigger tard about 25 years ago on my first shotgun... Remington said the same thim. That shouldn't cause it to break but....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Pull the barrel back off, remove the trigger assembly and see if you can cock it. That may be all it needs for reassembly.

Drift out those two pins and the trigger group will come out the bottom as one unit. Cock the hammer, put the trigger group back into the gun.

Skip to 4:37 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEux67awHc

Thanks! It was good reference, I couldn't pump it back. I had to remove the trigger group, slam the butt to dislodge the bolt w/ pump. Turns out dad doesn't clean guns. Sop gunk, everywhere

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:20 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
OP - this link should get you the owners manual for your shotgun - http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.asp
I found the manual. But manual reading is for suckers. [ thanks tho, I needed it to confirm all parts where there ]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyro View Post
Well you also messed up posting in the rifle thread instead of shotgun so it has not been a great day for you.
It's never a great day for me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Ok - I called H&R and asked one of their Techs if pulling the trigger with the barrel removed from the action would cause any problems and they said no. They suggested reinstalling the barrel and checking to see if the action cycles and the trigger operates properly.
Proactive man, I forgot people can call companies. I'm too use to having to leave emails or be on hold. Thanks man

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 AM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
nope.. Pull the trigger out by removing the 2 pins (as stated in above posts). Look for the broken part in the trigger group. Remove it and order a new one. Cost about $5 plus shipping.
Ask me how I know? I went full trigger tard about 25 years ago on my first shotgun... Remington said the same thim. That shouldn't cause it to break but....
So far, no broken parts. Cleaned it and going to try cycling it once assembled

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 AM
CouchOperator's Avatar
CouchOperator CouchOperator is online now
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Posts: 4,135
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Its a shotgun. Use a hammer until its fixed
__________________
Night Vision For Beginners: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post19858692

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Wut in molon threepin labia stippled spartan helmet on the back of my lifted chevy is going on in here?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM
SkyHawk's Avatar
SkyHawk SkyHawk is offline
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Overhead Orbit
Posts: 9,610
iTrader: 119 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fox View Post
So far, no broken parts. Cleaned it and going to try cycling it once assembled

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Let us know how it turns out! At least now you can give it a good clean and lube with the trigger group and bolt out.
__________________
.



"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Bansh88's Avatar
Bansh88 Bansh88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,233
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Shotguns suck to pull apart. Pulled my Mossberg 500 apart a few times for paint and thinking it needed full cleaning (which it never has) and it's always a b!tch to put it back together.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM
ARDude's Avatar
ARDude ARDude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Retired in Northridge, Ca
Posts: 1,129
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Looks like an 870. Strips down the same way. Except for the magazine tube.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 PM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Let us know how it turns out! At least now you can give it a good clean and lube with the trigger group and bolt out.
So far everything working Good! Cycling even better now that all the gunk has been removed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 AM
WartHog's Avatar
WartHog WartHog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Redwood Gulag
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Good for you!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-10-2017, 8:40 AM
sealocan sealocan is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,760
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Congratulations OP!

I had faith that you could do it all along.


But my faith also includes a long string that you should tie on to your trigger while you first shoot a few rounds through your new reassembled and cleaned shotgun from a distance.

And it's a very long string.


Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 PM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Congratulations OP!

I had faith that you could do it all along.


But my faith also includes a long string that you should tie on to your trigger while you first shoot a few rounds through your new reassembled and cleaned shotgun from a distance.

And it's a very long string.


You're making me doubt myself here. Granted it was that self that got into this situation.... I think we'll go with the string

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 PM
sealocan sealocan is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,760
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

As an alternative you could carefully cut of the very end of a plastic shotgun shell.
Then with care empty out the bbs, the wad / wadding and hopefully most of the powder.

Then you have an empty shell but with a live primer.
That will enable you to test the shot gun in a safe location, pointed in a safe direction, with eye and ear protection on...etc. and all other precautions that you can think of.

That would tell you whether the firing pin is striking the cartridge and it will also let you know that your shot gun can eject a spent casing.

Now that I think about it,
cutting open shotgun shells is something some people would do without a problem and others might be better off not doing it.


kind of like disassembly of a shotgun

(but it's live ammunition.)

Yeah, you better not go that route.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-12-2017, 10:48 PM
A Fox's Avatar
A Fox A Fox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indio
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
As an alternative you could carefully cut of the very end of a plastic shotgun shell.
Then with care empty out the bbs, the wad / wadding and hopefully most of the powder.

Then you have an empty shell but with a live primer.
That will enable you to test the shot gun in a safe location, pointed in a safe direction, with eye and ear protection on...etc. and all other precautions that you can think of.

That would tell you whether the firing pin is striking the cartridge and it will also let you know that your shot gun can eject a spent casing.

Now that I think about it,
cutting open shotgun shells is something some people would do without a problem and others might be better off not doing it.


kind of like disassembly of a shotgun

(but it's live ammunition.)

Yeah, you better not go that route.

I'd done stupider things. How bad can it be

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM
sealocan sealocan is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,760
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Did I just hear a shotgun shell go off ?


Probably, just my imagination.



I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-13-2017, 8:14 PM
otteray otteray is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Cruz & Lake Tahoe
Posts: 2,892
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Pardners are built solid. Gonna take more than a trigger pull disassembled to damage something.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:58 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.