Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-12-2017, 4:45 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Since all the threads on San Diego are too old to comment on, I thought we needed a new one.

My understanding of the current SD Sheriff Department's "may issue" policy, pretty much boils down to this:

Good cause has to be circumstances which would make a person a specific target in contrast to a random one. Applicants are required to demonstrate the specific situation that places them in danger and submit evidence of current incidents which documents their claim.

So, other than a specific documented threat, does that pretty much cover it?
Old 08-15-2017, 6:25 AM

I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
Old 08-15-2017, 9:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nothing has changed here in San Diego County other than a few attempts to go around the sheriff to allow cities to issue. So far, no luck here.
Old 08-17-2017, 9:23 AM

Documented threats on your life.

Moving lots of cash for business.

That's about it.

Last edited by elemen0hpee; 11-14-2017 at 3:42 PM..
Old 08-18-2017, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
Old 08-19-2017, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
You should also read this thread about Dave Myers challenging Gore in the next sheriff's election (next June). Myers has said publicly and put on his website that he'll accept SD as sufficient GC to issue a CCW.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1340431

Old 10-11-2017, 9:14 PM

Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-12-2017, 9:04 AM
Stoopid American Redneckô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Curious to see if this is true. It would be a pretty big change for Gore by itself.

Then again, it could also be a way to try and garner support from a large group of fairly conservative voters in the run up to next years election. The Dem he may be facing claims to be pro CCW IIRC.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 10-15-2017, 1:10 PM

Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that itís about ď90-95 percent chance Iíll get itĒ.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I donít see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and weíll see what happens.
Old 10-15-2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that it’s about “90-95 percent chance I’ll get it”.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I don’t see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and we’ll see what happens.
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
Old 10-16-2017, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.

Military veteran
DHS veteran

Last edited by Endless; 10-16-2017 at 2:54 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 8:19 AM
Stoopid American Redneckô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.
CA PC allows for the Sheriff of a County or the Chief of Police of a city to issue. That's it. The state itself does not issue, and CA has no State Police force. At this time no cities in SD county issue either.

Since CA is a "May Issue" state, issuing revolves around "good cause" and thus the state is a patchwork of issue and no issue zones, with lots of variation in-between.

This might make things clearer for you:

You see lots of green, but only 43% of CAs population lives those areas of Green (dark and light). The remaining 57% of the states population resides mostly in Red.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 10-16-2017 at 8:25 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 8:48 AM

I happen to know a currently serving SSG in the National Guard (a native speaking Arabic interpreter in MI who has been to AFG and IRAQ as intel) whose family (and himself) were targeted. He documented everything.

Sheriff still refused to issue to him. I put him in contact with SDCGO and they're working to see if he can get one.

Apparently just having a threat to your life is not enough to get a way to protect yourself and your family.

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 10-16-2017, 3:53 PM

@Supersapper - Wow, thatís not promising at all. Iíll roll the dice and see what happens. Iíll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....
Old 10-18-2017, 3:48 PM

I do wish you luck...much of it, too.

Quote:
@Supersapper - Wow, thatís not promising at all. Iíll roll the dice and see what happens. Iíll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 10-18-2017, 3:56 PM
Super Gun Owner!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Some place warm, a place where the beer flows like wine.

You want to carry in San Diego you better wear a black robe for a living or possess pics of the sheriff and livestock in action.

The DC ruling should help us down the road but for the moment we continue to be hosed.

Never forget.
Old 10-30-2017, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that it’s about “90-95 percent chance I’ll get it”.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I don’t see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and we’ll see what happens.
I agree that the 90-95% chance of getting a LTC is BS, nearly the same BS that the OCSD Under Sheriff is claiming to be its rate of issuing permits. (He is claiming to be issuing one day at 95+% and on another it is 98%. OCSD was also sued in a case similar to Peruta.) You could enter the information in response to question 10 of Section 2.

Quote:
10. Have you withheld any fact that might affect the decision to approve this license? If yes, please explain.
Check "Yes" and enter something along the lines of:

Quote:
I withheld the following since I didn't see any questions calling for the information and it isn't even clear that this question asks for positive data. I served X years in the United States .................., including Y tours in Z, where I was regularly involved in combat, including small arms engagements in (Falujah). I served as a squad leader and as a platoon sergeant. I am the recipient of a ........ and a purple heart. During my service I regularly exercised fire control and follow rules of engagement intended to prevent harm to non combatants.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-30-2017 at 4:00 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like there might be "change we can believe in" taking place in SD Co SO -- with Gore still sheriff, no less!

Remember, Gore stopped fighting against Peruta after the 3-judge panel went against him. It was Kammie and CA that fought against us at the en banc panel and when seeking cert.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
From San Diego County Gun Owners PAC

Throw out everything you think you know about CCWs and San Diego. We are receiving feedback that SDCGO's efforts to highlight Gore's block of your right to bear arms is working. His internal standards have been loosened and the amount of paperwork required has been lessened. We think.

So what does this mean? Well, we aren't sure because Sheriff Gore's policy is poorly written, subjective, and purposely vague.

We are asking you to help us figure it out and maybe get your CCW in the process.

Here's how:
Step 1: Read his website, download the application, complete as much as you can. Link: https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Step 2: Call and make an appointment for an interview. Number: 858-974-2020
Step 3: Make a list of reasons you need a CCW. Be creative. This part is hard to advise or offer specifics. And this is really where you are helping. Is Gore just making election year noise? Or can the average law-abiding San Diegan obtain a CCW? It is probably somewhere in the middle and we don't know how long it will last (the election is in June), so right now is your chance!
Step 4: Dress nicely, be polite, and go to your 1st appointment. After you get your CCW, or are denied, please send us an email to let us know if you were successful. What was your "good cause" statement and did it work? How was your experience with the staff? Were the staffers helpful or discouraging?

We hear from people all the time wanting to get their CCWs, so jump on this possible opportunity as fast as you can. The appointment slots are going to fill up so hurry up and call to make your appointment.
ETA: Just to be clear: we do NOT know if Gore has liberalized issuance and even if he has, we do NOT know to what extent. For all we know he may have broadened his GC requirement only enough to take SD Co from "light red" to "yellow." Personally, I doubt if he'd go all the way to "dark green", the way Meyer has said (accepting SD/PP = GC), but if Gore goes to "light green," even that would be great since we're talking about the 2nd most populous county (at 3.3M) to LA Co (10M).

Last edited by Paladin; 10-30-2017 at 5:59 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Since all the threads on San Diego are too old to comment on, I thought we needed a new one.
You just check the box that says you realize you're posting to an old thread, and then hit Submit and it will be posted.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-30-2017 at 5:04 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that itís about ď90-95 percent chance Iíll get itĒ.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I donít see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and weíll see what happens.

Any updates? How did your appointment go?

What did you experience? Updates on the process?

Did they tell you what the next step would be, or was a decision made right then, if you progress to the next step?
Old 10-31-2017, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I sent my CCW application in almost 5 years ago, as I understand it was put in a pile with other applicants, waiting for the Peruta disposition.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
I sent my CCW application in almost 5 years ago, as I understand it was put in a pile with other applicants, waiting for the Peruta disposition.
Peruta was denied cert on June 26th: it is dead and we lost it at the en banc panel.

If you used only SD/PP as GC, I'd abandon it and reapply using the best GC you can muster.

If you used more than SD/PP as GC, if what you used then still applies, I'd consider asking the SO to process it.

But first, I'd get in touch with SDCGOPAC (and join them, if you haven't already), to get their advice.

Old 10-31-2017, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You see lots of green, but only 43% of CAs population lives those areas of Green (dark and light). The remaining 57% of the states population resides mostly in Red.
San Diego Co has 8.5% of CA's population. If Sheriff Gore liberalizes issuance to "light green" or contender Meyer wins and accepts SD = GC as he said he will, that will swing CA to where a majority of our state's population will be able to readily get a CCW. The antis will react like this:

While we'll be acting like this:

Old 11-28-2017, 7:49 PM

I posted the below URL on my FB page about Dave Meyers! He is pro-CCW it appears & I did not see his name as I scanned the above posts!

www.davemyersforsheriff.com