Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 01-27-2010, 5:24 PM

Default Let the barrel tell you

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=document

Editor @ 3 pm
Chip Lohman, Managing Editor of Shooting Sports USA Magazine, has authored an excellent article on barrel maintenance and cleaning. Chip’s article, Let the BARREL Tell You — Match Barrel Care, Part I, appears in the January 2010 edition of Shooting Sports USA, which is FREE online, in a digital e-zine format.

Chip Lohman is a talented writer, an NRA-Certified Instructor, and an active shooter. Like most writers, he maintains a healthy sense of curiosity. The debate about the proper care of a match barrel is a hot one, spiked with folklore and old wives’ tales, Lohman said. He and his staff set out to set the record straight: “We tried to interject some science into the discussion of cleaning a match barrel,” he explained. In his article, Lohman writes:

Why worry about a little barrel fouling when the throat is subjected to a brutal 5,600° F volcano at 55,000 PSI? To investigate these and other questions about taking care of a match barrel, we spoke with a dozen experts and share their knowledge in this first of a series of articles.

After listening to folks who shoot, build barrels or manufacture cleaning solvents for a living, we concluded that even the experts each have their own unique recommendations on how to care for a match barrel. But they all agree on one thing— the gun will tell you what it likes best. Because the life expectancy of a match barrel is about 1,500 to 2,500 rounds, the objectives of cleaning one should include: preserve accuracy, slow the erosion and remove fouling—all without damaging the gun. This article doesn’t claim that one cleaning method is better than the next. Rather, we set out to interject a little science into the discussion and to share some lessons learned from experts in the field.
Old 01-27-2010, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

It's quite simple really.

Clean after every box of 500 and you should be good to go.
Old 01-28-2010, 6:12 PM

Henry states that he went over 800 rounds without cleaning....I just know that when I clean, my POI changes dramatically 2-3 MOA's at 100 and it takes 20-30 rounds to foul the bbl enough to bring it back to where its zeroed. It will then hold 1/2 MOA for hundreds of more shots...I just have to have enough bullets and powders to stop switching lots as it changes just enough to irk me every time I switch...
Old 01-28-2010, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnzrme View Post
Henry states that he went over 800 rounds without cleaning....I just know that when I clean, my POI changes dramatically 2-3 MOA's at 100 and it takes 20-30 rounds to foul the bbl enough to bring it back to where its zeroed. It will then hold 1/2 MOA for hundreds of more shots...I just have to have enough bullets and powders to stop switching lots as it changes just enough to irk me every time I switch...
1276 rounds since I cleaned......

As I stated in a previous post, my rifle is a solid 3/4" rifle and it keeps shooting about that, no better, no worse. So I'll keep shooting it and for a factory tube, doesn't copper.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by buffybuster; 01-28-2010 at 7:29 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

I wipe down the bolt and action and sometimes mop out the chamber. I'll clean the bore when groups start to open up.