Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM

Default Winter Car Camping

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do some Winter Camping with a group and am new to both the camping and group. Hoping you could post some packing lists that would help.

Me and a 7 year old
Two nights
Temps - Day - 35, Night 25
2-3" of snow on the ground

I am well kitted out for long term car camping and backpacking so assume I have the gear...just let me know what.

I have a 3 person backpacking tent and a 12 person cabin tent though they are 3 seasons tents. I have slept comfortably in the backpacking tent down to 40 at night.

I have the cabin tent that could fit three queen size mattresses but am thinking about having so much ground to clear. But i could use cots or even a queen air mattress with lots of blankets.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2016, 1:38 PM

Double up on sleeping pads to insulate from the cold ground.

Air mattress will be cold by loss of heat via convection: cold ground, warm top. If you go this route make sure to put sleeping pads on top of the air mattress.

Having a pee bottle is nice. Beats having to go outside to pee in the middle of the night.

Normal tent stakes don't work well in the snow. Need bigger, wider stakes such as snow stakes or substitute a shovel, ice axe, etc and bury it part way.

I was camping out in the desert (no snow) over Thanksgiving weekend and the low was 10F.
Old 01-21-2016, 1:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do some Winter Camping with a group and am new to both the camping and group. Hoping you could post some packing lists that would help.

Me and a 7 year old
Two nights
Temps - Day - 35, Night 25
2-3" of snow on the ground

I am well kitted out for long term car camping and backpacking so assume I have the gear...just let me know what.

I have a 3 person backpacking tent and a 12 person cabin tent though they are 3 seasons tents. I have slept comfortably in the backpacking tent down to 40 at night.

I have the cabin tent that could fit three queen size mattresses but am thinking about having so much ground to clear. But i could use cots or even a queen air mattress with lots of blankets.

Thoughts?
The 3 person tent will retain the most heat. last time I camped in 2-3' of snow I cleared a pad 5' larger than the tent on the ground. I then laid a footprint then the tent, inside I had a moving blanket as a floor. I then slept in a Kelty Cosmic 20 Down bag on top of a Therma-Rest Dream Air R6 mattress.

In cold wet high altitude weather I prefer white gas lanterns and stoves to propane/butane. Car Camping, I take along a 2 burner Coleman dual fuel and a single burner dual fuel in addition to a Powerhouse dual fuel lantern and a Coleman catalytic heater.
Old 01-21-2016, 2:05 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Make sure you have plenty of fun activities for afternoon/evening.
Dark at 5:30 or so means cold very early and just laying in the tent gets boring quick.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2016, 2:09 PM

Remember your body burns more calories keeping warm! Plan for plenty of warm drinks and snacks (high in fluids) for both of you. Cold is bad, cold and dehydrated is miserable.

+1 on a Catalytic heater. Anything to take the edge off the morning air.

Have a bunch of closed cell mattresses (not just air mattresses) for insulation between you and the ground. They work great on your chair to keep your backside warm around a campfire too.

Lastly, you are car camping. Keep this a happy experience for your little-one. If you realize you are not as well prepared as you thought, don't be a he-man; cut the trip short and go get warm.
Old 01-21-2016, 4:52 PM

Wool or fleece hat even if your sleeping bag has a hood.

Hot water bottle, filled with hot water and insulated so that you don't burn yourself when you first start using it. This was common before the days of electric blankets and furnaces.

Catalytic heater for sure.
Old 01-21-2016, 6:04 PM

Lds hit it pretty well.

I second the smaller tent for holding heat and would add quality cots with closed cell pads to keep your buns warm, the doubled sleeping bags is a good idea also. I pair up a summer and winter if I suspect things will get rough.

It's against the rules, but I run a Peak One on a stable inflammable base to kill the evening and morning chill. I've done a few extended stays at 12k feet.. screw rules.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 01-21-2016, 7:01 PM

It's been awhile but when I did winter camp in the snow I had a blast. Usually it was 3-4 of us in a 10x10. We used a tent safe catalytic heater. Dress warm and use a good sleeping bag. Most important, stay off the floor. Sleep on cots or an air mattress.
Old 01-21-2016, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screehopper View Post
Double up on sleeping pads to insulate from the cold ground.
This - Don't even think of a cot. You want to keep the air from circulating around you. Of course no gas/propane lanterns/stoves in the tent unless the door is open.
Old 01-22-2016, 5:00 AM

In addition to the double padded ground insulation, feel free to bring extra blankets to put over the sleeping bags. Not only does it help to add some extra warmth when sleeping, but it works great when you get up in the morning to add some extra warmth when you get the fire going before the coffee and hot chocolate.

Also, remember that most of your body heat escapes from you head. Beanies are a must and can be worn comfortably in your sleeping bag.

Have fun and remember that winter car camping is an excellent way to use some of the local camping places without all the crazy crowds that you get in the summer.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 01-22-2016, 3:27 PM

Put on a pair of fresh dry socks before you get in the bag and wear a warm beanie!
Old 01-22-2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
This - Don't even think of a cot. You want to keep the air from circulating around you.
And a closed cell pad + Thermorest + wool blanket won't do that?

If you have a quality bag you are good.. period. I like waking up comfortable, not crawling off the ground.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 01-22-2016, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ditch the cabin tent and cots...they will be too cold. Go with the smaller tent which will be fine if it is not snowing. Use a closed cell pad below each bag to provide padding and insulation. The small tent will heat up fast with two in it.

Get a few of the hand warmer packets...you bend them and they heat up...those will help keep hands and feet warm at night.

Consider rubber boots...wet feet can ruin a trip. Extra socks and change them regularly to keep the feet warm and spirits up.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 01-23-2016 at 8:54 AM..
Old 01-22-2016, 7:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the great posts. I especially like the one about if it is no longer fun then head on out!
Old 01-22-2016, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of firewood. I won't camp without a fire. Lots of warm blankets.

Clothes to enjoy the cold weather outside.

Plenty of flashlights, kids love flashlights, no matter how cheap. Harbor freight has some.
Old 01-23-2016, 8:01 AM

We use two really thick padded moving blankets for the floor of our tent. If it gets too cold, throw one on top of your bags. A light beanie and cheapie cloth work gloves like you get from the dollar store work great. Have used these combos camping two weeks at a time in the winter at elevations exceeding 6500' in Wyoming with two feet of snow on the ground and temperatures in the low teens. For a sleeping bag I use a heavy canvas 0 degree bag for car camping. Also wear nylon work out tights, bottoms and top.
Old 01-23-2016, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Thanks everyone for the great posts. I especially like the one about if it is no longer fun then head on out!
The "fun" of a snow trip often comes when sitting around talking about it long after the trip is open. Be prepared for the trip and you'll be fine.
Old 01-24-2016, 5:46 PM

Tire chains or 4x4 with all terrain tires at a minimum. In the mountains, anything can happen. That 2" to 3" inches of snow could turn into a foot of blowing snow with black ice under. Warm weather, precipitation, front blows in, temp drops suddenly, more precipitation, etc, etc. Expect the unexpected.
"As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air — however slight — lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

- William O. Douglas, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States
Old 01-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerugers View Post
Tire chains or 4x4 with all terrain tires at a minimum. In the mountains, anything can happen. That 2" to 3" inches of snow could turn into a foot of blowing snow with black ice under. Warm weather, precipitation, front blows in, temp drops suddenly, more precipitation, etc, etc. Expect the unexpected.
This^^^. If u or none of ur buddies don't have off-road capable rigs then prepare to leave fast if storm rolls in. Any hybrid crossover awd type suv is a no go unless u r going to be next to the main road that gets plowed daily. And bring shovels

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Tarp the size of tent for foot print under tent.