Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-19-2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 View Post
100 rounds per range trip? I must be an addict because I shoot around 300-500 rounds every range trip...though I only get to go once a month these days. I guess if I still was going 4 times a month, I would only be shooting 100 to 200 each time.
I wouldn't call you an addict sir. Glad to hear people are shooting the ammo they buy rather than sitting on it. My wallet dictates what I can shoot. I need to talk to my manager for a raise. Maybe I can shoot 103 rounds per range trip.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
100 rounds per range trip? I must be an addict because I shoot around 300-500 rounds every range trip...though I only get to go once a month these days. I guess if I still was going 4 times a month, I would only be shooting 100 to 200 each time.
I was just thinking the same thing. I go through about 300 rounds of .40 or .45 in just over an hour. 100 rounds wouldn't be worth the trip.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:46 PM

To be honest, about half of that I am shooting using my 22LR conversion. It's a lot cheaper shooting them 22s
Old 03-19-2013, 2:47 PM

OP starts thread in all caps "STOP HOARDING AMMO!!" and then tells us he buys wholesale direct from manufacturer?

Tell us your secrets oh wise one and school us in economics while you're at, too!

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

Former NRA Member
CGF Member

Last edited by artoaster; 03-19-2013 at 2:50 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
To be honest, about half of that I am shooting using my 22LR conversion. It's a lot cheaper shooting them 22s
22 is certainly cheaper but no easier to procure. I think I have about 3k rounds of 22 for my son's Sig 522 rifle. He punches out about 400-500 rounds in an afternoon so we have to grab that when we can.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:49 PM

Okay, can you define hoarding in terms of ammo? I have between 500 - 1000 rounds for each caliber I use. I dont have nearly as much as I would like to have....so my question is. Do I already have too much? or can I buy some more without it being considered hoarding?
Old 03-19-2013, 2:50 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocog2181 View Post
Honestly, I purchase ammo directly from the manufacturer. I get wholesale prices regardless of the environment. I just wanted to help regular joes out and point out a flaw in the current ammo market. Ammo should not be this expensive! Retail stores are making a great margin on all they sell. Turnover is unbelievable right now. Also, many of you might know this but certain stores are participating in this so called "Shortage" and only releasing ammo little by little. Its a mind game guy, the less you see on the shelves the more you will be inclined to buy at high prices.
you use the generic "you" pretty loosely... I don't buy high at all... I haven't bought since the panic. Mind games don't work with me (and I'm not the only one).

Fortunately I hoard when prices are low. IMO, that's the logical thing to do. Also IMO, anyone hoarding at current prices are plain stupid - but anyone that was logical (and hoarded at low prices) aren't affected anyway.

So really the current condition is a way to teach the ignorant to be more logical next time.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigNoche View Post
Okay, can you define hoarding in terms of ammo? I have between 500 - 1000 rounds for each caliber I use. I dont have nearly as much as I would like to have....so my question is. Do I already have too much? or can I buy some more without it being considered hoarding?
If you never shoot. You're good.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Just spoke to one of my friends which of whom works for a reputable ammo manufacturer. Basically, ammo is still being produced in the same numbers as it has historically, however, hoarders are the reason to blame for this "Shortage". People need to refrain from purchasing such large amounts of ammo and storing it as if they are going to go to war. Those people which of whom are hoarding are throwing off and fabricating a shortage that should not exist. Prices are at an all time high and hoarders are promoting this behavior by buying all the ammo they can possibly get their hands on.

This is just a public service announcement to let people know who is really causing this so called shortage. Also, AWB has fallen out of senate and put on the back burner by the democrats. So, no more scare of an AWB for now.

Lets all stop buying everything and let the market settle back down.

How about you stop telling other people what to do and start going through with your commitments that you make to other people. Based on your iTrader comments, you're in no position to tell other people what to do.
You represent what's wrong with America. A sheep. Waiting on your welfare so that you don't have to think or work, and be part of a movement. Now, get out of the library and let someone else use the government's computer.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:55 PM

Everyone needs to chill out and listen to some good music....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKn-knDzMU

This is what everyone needs to do;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0

Last edited by Ocog2181; 03-19-2013 at 2:58 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Just spoke to one of my friends which of whom works for a reputable ammo manufacturer. Basically, ammo is still being produced in the same numbers as it has historically, however, hoarders are the reason to blame for this "Shortage". People need to refrain from purchasing such large amounts of ammo and storing it as if they are going to go to war. Those people which of whom are hoarding are throwing off and fabricating a shortage that should not exist. Prices are at an all time high and hoarders are promoting this behavior by buying all the ammo they can possibly get their hands on.

This is just a public service announcement to let people know who is really causing this so called shortage. Also, AWB has fallen out of senate and put on the back burner by the democrats. So, no more scare of an AWB for now.

Quote:
Not at all. Gas and ammo are two different animals. Gasoline on the grand scheme is not something that can be effectively discussed in a forum. There is an abundance of economics and politics behind such topic. Most of which most people will have a hard time understanding without sufficient education.
I'm amused by you trying to sound smart by saying things like "Which of whom" and then talking down to us about not being able to understand because we don't have "sufficient education". Maybe I'm just not a smart enough feller to understand economics 101, but I did just now decide to stop and buy some over-priced ammo on the way home.

Maybe if you explain this in little words so us gun-toting rednecks can understand it.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 03-19-2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
I'm amused by you trying to sound smart by saying things like "Which of whom" and then talking down to us about not being able to understand because we don't have "sufficient education". Maybe I'm just not a smart enough feller to understand economics 101, but I did just now decide to stop and buy some over-priced ammo on the way home.

Maybe if you explain this in little words so us gun-toting rednecks can understand it.
The entire post is a glaring example of the dismal public education system. Poor grammar all around.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm getting old. Rap doesn't do it for me like it did in the high school and college days. Occassionally, I still dable, but nothing like I used to be. I could see myself bumpin that in my car back in high school. lol!!
Old 03-19-2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The AWB bill has been blocked from being voted on in the senate, but they are still pushing VERY HARD to get their UCB (gun confiscation) and other anti-gun measures passed. Also there's nothing to say that they won't try to attach a new AWB as a rider to a different bill. There ABSOLUTELY IS still a scare of an AWB or other totalitarian anti-gun measures. You've either fallen for their propaganda, or (I think more accurately because of your join date and post count) you're a shill from the anti-gun crowd.

ETA: Nice iTrader feedback by the way.
Glad you pointed out the iTrader feedbacks. I hate flakers!

Btw, this thread failed. OP failed.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:08 PM

Hoarding? I don't think you realize how easy it is to shoot ammo, it is being used.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

^^^ Once again, you are deciding what 'everyone else' needs to do.
Do you see the pattern yet?
Old 03-19-2013, 3:11 PM

It's an addiction. I need help
Old 03-19-2013, 3:15 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestesting View Post
How about you stop telling other people what to do and start going through with your commitments that you make to other people. Based on your iTrader comments, you're in no position to tell other people what to do.
Oh damn! I've never seen an iTrader that low (on any forum) - truly
Old 03-19-2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
Are you trying to lead us to believe that if you walked into a store and seen 12 boxes of 22 LR, you would only buy two and leave the rest for us?
i would, and have.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

I don't hoard ammo any different than I did back when prices and availability were what they used to be... if I find ammo, I need it, and I have money, I buy it. Whether I shoot it or not is determined by how much I have. End of story.
These hoarders will do nothing but offer a cheap second hand market down the road, same with firearms.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:21 PM

I was hoarding ammo way before all the hysteria. Now, I'm in a lull while everything is overpriced.

When the market settles down again, then I will probably resume hoarding ammo again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor
You have been scammed bigly. Epic hype. Time to snap out. YW
Old 03-19-2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post

Last time I checked "Which of whom" and "Sufficient" were fairly basic forms of speech. I am not trying to show anyone up in here as I know that most of the people in this forum are intelligent beings in their own regard. I offered a suggestion, whether it is taken or not is not up to me. I am not forcing anything and would never deliberately suggest my intelligence supersedes anyone.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:24 PM

Quote:

Urg!! My ears!

You should have posted this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9EE0_gd8OA
Old 03-19-2013, 3:29 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I am not forcing anything and would never deliberately suggest my intelligence supersedes anyone.
I am the same, but I say "everyone".

My favorite part of the panic is imagining the people who HAD to blow through 500 rounds a week to stay "proficient". By now they probably need a bigger backstop.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:30 PM

Everytime I read something about ammo shortage in these forums, I'm constantly reminded that it's my fault that I didn't "Buy cheap, stack deep."

Guess who just turned 21 last year and was able to buy handgun ammo... I guess not entirely relevant to the discussion, but I just had to say something about how there are some people in this category.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post

My favorite part of the panic is imagining the people who HAD to blow through 500 rounds a week to stay "proficient". By now they probably need a bigger backstop.
lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Is this going just about how you had planned?
Old 03-19-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
Is this going just about how you had planned?
Absolutely not. You can't even try to help people without it backfiring.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I purchase ammo directly from the manufacturer. I get wholesale prices regardless of the environment. I just wanted to help regular joes out and point out a flaw in the current ammo market. Ammo should not be this expensive! Retail stores are making a great margin on all they sell. Turnover is unbelievable right now. Also, many of you might know this but certain stores are participating in this so called "Shortage" and only releasing ammo little by little. Its a mind game guy, the less you see on the shelves the more you will be inclined to buy at high prices.
Either stop bragging or share on the prices.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-19-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
Either stop bragging or share on the prices.
Can't. But I can say that it is around 1/2 off MSRP.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post

or maybe people were blowing through 500 rounds per range trip because they are having fun and just like to shoot.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I have owned guns for a long time but I don't shoot too often because I can't afford to spend $100+ a month on ammo + range fees.
i missed this comment earlier. i completely agree that it gets expensive. the ammo cost is the reason why i decided to buy a 22LR conversion kit.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
people especially gun owners are like that. idk why, i see it all over youtube. Someone post a vid of how they clean their gun and the first comments are calling him an idiot.

i think we see this situation different than most. I see it as a community problem we need to get through, and others see it as "its all about me. screw everyone else."
Old 03-19-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
The entire point is that if you're buying ammo direct wholesale and they're producing at the level they've always produced, then why would you give two sh*ts what people are paying retail?

GTFO!
Old 03-19-2013, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I hoarded enough ammo that I still shoot .308 at .10 a round.

Suck it.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Ocog2181

Quote:
STOP HOARDING AMMO!!
Okay. I'm sorry I bought too much ammunition.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Can't. But I can say that it is around 1/2 off MSRP.
Im calling BS unless your an FFL. Post an invoice but block out the names.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:59 PM

Hoarding is having more than you need to shoot for a lifetime and that I do not, nor do most of us. I'd say anything over 20,000 rounds for most of us.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Im calling BS unless your an FFL. Post an invoice but block out the names.
Industry affiliation. Believe it or not that's all I'm giving you.
Old 03-19-2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Industry affiliation. Believe it or not that's all I'm giving you.
Definitely BS or why would you care who's buying what at retail prices?

You're just a disgruntled noob because someone pushed you down in the Wally World line waiting for a brick of 22.