Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-16-2018, 9:14 AM

Default How do I maintain authority over my security force after SHTF?

Interesting problem for the billionaire prepper (yes that's a real thing).

---
Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked, “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus...

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers — if that technology could be developed in time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/11/surv...us-behind.html
Old 07-16-2018, 9:19 AM

The short answer is you don't. Just because your a billionaire does not mean you are the most qualified to lead any group of people after a major event. What are your crisis management skills? What are your military leadership skills? What do you have that would make people follow you once your money means nothing? If you establish some type of control system, people will find a way to subvert it eventually, especially if you are a horrible natural leader or show yourself to be horribly equipped to lead in a SHTF scenario.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:28 AM

Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 07-16-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM

This place just jumped off the silly cliff.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM

I think the best person to ask this question is Negan.

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 07-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the reality during even a complete shtf situation is that people remain hopeful that things will return to normal eventually because that's what's happened many times in the past, and even more so in our modern past.

So a billionaire might be smart to hire religious people who believe strongly in doing the right thing / keeping their word and his security team have a strong hope muscle because that billionaire is going to have to be telling some mighty good Stories about how his security team will all rolling in gold, women and alcohol ( or converts to their religion of choice and multiple brides, if that's how they roll.) when eventually things get back to normal after that first year or so.

Nevermind the first year actually, the first 3 months would be a challenge.

I personally like to think that normally we wouldn't have shtf events take that long before some other State, country or anyone came along and gave the desperate a hand up but maybe they might take advantage of the situation when we are weak.

The reality is however something like a very large asteroid hitting the planet is possible, even if it's unlikely to be a planet killer, it still may sting for a while.

Last edited by sealocan; 07-16-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 AM

If you have a paid security force then there must be a significant incentive of some sort that can be controlled by you and will be enough to keep them in the game. This might mean keeping their families as part of your collective retreat to further incentivize their efforts, or it could be a large monetary reward when society returns to a norm (think gold bars in a far away bank?). The Billionaire will likely not be the leader of his security operations.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
This place just jumped off the silly cliff.
Did you even check the link? It's an article on CNBC. Those are real billionaires in charge of real Wall Street investment banks who built those bunkers and who are asking this question to the famous futurist guy/college professor they hired.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
If you have a paid security force then there must be a significant incentive of some sort that can be controlled by you and will be enough to keep them in the game. This might mean keeping their families as part of your collective retreat to further incentivize their efforts, or it could be a large monetary reward when society returns to a norm (think gold bars in a far away bank?). The Billionaire will likely not be the leader of his security operations.
I agree with you.

Military Veteran
DHS veteran
“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Governor LePage
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO hunter View Post
Did you even check the link? It's an article on CNBC. Those are real billionaires in charge of real Wall Street investment banks who built those bunkers and who are asking this question to the famous futurist guy/college professor they hired.
Silly people with a boat load of money are still silly.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 07-16-2018, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

You won't. At least not the ones witb any family.

I don't care how much you pay me.......I am ditching you so I can go protect my family.

You gonna house my family too? That's what it would take. So I guess that is the answer.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2018, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

You have to be a leader....that includes being bad @ss enough to be the boss and physically assert that leadership if need be.

He is right in thinking that if things go sideways, and there is no law, Violence will be the order of the day. And if you are not able to meet that violence with greater violence of action....you are done.

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 07-16-2018, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

New world, new rules and money has no value.

The Alpha Male will emerge and the rest will blindly follow.

The Laws of Nature are immutable no matter what homo sapien thinks or does.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 07-16-2018 at 4:56 PM..
Old 07-16-2018, 4:58 PM

whoever controls the food, fuel and supplies controls the people that need them to survive.

who run bartertown?
Old 07-16-2018, 9:12 PM

build robots as guards. WTF...talk about jumping off the silly cliff. it sounds like a child imaginations
Old 07-17-2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO hunter View Post
Interesting problem for the billionaire prepper (yes that's a real thing).

---
Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked, “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus...
Buy your own island (that's what Larry Ellison did.)

Have the boss choose your security crew very selectively, people with limited family.

Then stock deep, invite the girlfriends if needed, make it so everyone has a vested interest in coming out the other side alive. And be prepared to reward others when the problems end... (Note girl friends would also need to be screened.)

(I assume that material costs to support such operations are negligible compared to total wealth.)
Old 07-17-2018, 6:55 PM

Every dictator in the history had this problem. The answer is a ruthless, efficient Praetorian Guard that offers unquestioning loyalty in exchange for exceptional privilege and position. This "elite force" is used to police the regular forces.

Roman Emperors = Praetorian Guard
Hitler = SS
Stalin = NKVD
Mao = Red Guards
Imperial Japan WW2 = Kenpeitai
Old 07-17-2018, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post

The Alpha Male will emerge and the rest will blindly follow.
Four other possibilities: (1) intelligent analysis results in the judgement that following A would be the best course; (2) coercion from other followers of A; (3) A is too distasteful, so potential followers break from the group; (4) as (3), except another candidate B suits the group better, so B and followers attempt to evict A and followers from the group.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 07-17-2018 at 7:39 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hold their families hostage separately but safe. Oops, I said it.
Old 07-17-2018, 8:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Easy.

Two main compounds. One interior to the other. The outer compound area has the guards. Their job, if they want to eat well and have the amenities, protect the entire compound. Inner compound is where the rich dick lives and is essentially inaccessible from the outside compound (or world). He pays the guards with meals and booze, they protect the place. Any unrest or aggression toward the rich dick result in rations for those participating being eliminated and distributed to the other, loyal guards. Basically, loyalty pays.

Personally I'm gonna take over my neighborhood, blow up whatever I have to around the perimeter to make it impassable and relax on my rooftop hide. Eating steak, eggs, coffee and booze...eat it suckers!!!

:P

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 07-17-2018, 9:17 PM

Reason, charisma and a ruthless iron fist. In that order.
Old 07-18-2018, 2:02 AM

In Kali, bad juju could happen in a blink.
To me, it's the luck of the draw. Biblical, if you will
It's either total, apocalypse, or a bump in the road.
Worst case but survivable, you have to last 1 growing season.
You have to be hooked up in ag production, which in Kali, is year round.
Stores of food are essential for X days, but will exhaust.
Bulk nut stores are vast, with tonnage from Bakersfield to Chico.
Same with beans & rice.
The first real likely hood is that ALL water supply will sever to the metro areas, as collateral damage to the systems occur.
You need a crew that money can't buy, but couldn't hurt to have a stash pile. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own

Last edited by echo1; 07-18-2018 at 2:05 AM..