Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-11-2020, 7:59 AM

Default Getting ready for the winter

The grapes are being harvested, its a great year for Zin.

2400 gallons of propane and 1560 gallons of diesel and 500 gallons of gasoline and the fuel is ready.

The wife and family have been canning all summer, the garden is winding down. The pantry is full. Killed a beef and 2 hogs and they are in the freezer.

Replaced one bank of storage batteries this summer, they were 8 years old. Gen sets are serviced and ready to go. Solar is good to go. Things are up to snuff.

It is fire season and all this heat and fires have us very concerned. We are praying for everyone who is fighting these monsters.

Checked, double checked and checked again our water system and fire suppression systems. We took the fields around us down to dirt as a fire break. We will seed it as soon as we get rain.

Everybody is healthy and well.

My point of this post is to tell people to get things done now instead of waiting till its a emergency.

God Bless, I pray your you and your family are all well.
Old 09-11-2020, 9:14 AM

Yep, waiting until the crisis is upon us is the wrong time to be making plans. Here on our humble homestead in the Pacific Northwest, as the fires began to break out in California, my wife and I pulled out our fire pump and hoses and hooked everything up one afternoon to be sure everything was in order. We talked over what adapters go where, which hose goes on which side of the house and looked over our safety clothes, respirators and extra related gear and spare fire hose and parts. Then we put it all back in storage, confident we could respond efficiently if the time comes.

With the recent fires breaking out all over Oregon, we're in one of the only counties that has not had a major fire so we are thankful for that but our hearts go out to all who have suffered.

One thing I had discovered when we were talking over contingencies, was a PVC water spigot I had in a distant field that could melt in a wildland fire, draining one of my water tanks. I picked up needed steel pipe and fittings yesterday to replace the PVC as it comes out of the ground to make it fire proof. All the other yard hydrants on that line are steel but I had somehow overlooked this one.

I also identified brush clearing and tree thinning goals to accomplish this winter, improving on the brush clearing we have already accomplished around the 100' perimeter of our buildings.

Kevin, what sort of solar batteries are replacing the old ones with? My system uses an 840 amp hour, lead-acid "HUP" battery made by Solar One. We rarely take it down below 80% capacity so should get a very long service life out of it.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Killed a beef and 2 hogs and they are in the freezer.

I'm guessing the wildfires smoked 'em for you?

You sound just like J.W. Rawles, getting ye olde compound ready for winter. Would love to have such a place myself. Will LOVE to have one even MORE on November 4, I'm thinking...
Old 09-11-2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Yep, waiting until the crisis is upon us is the wrong time to be making plans. Here on our humble homestead in the Pacific Northwest, as the fires began to break out in California, my wife and I pulled out our fire pump and hoses and hooked everything up one afternoon to be sure everything was in order. We talked over what adapters go where, which hose goes on which side of the house and looked over our safety clothes, respirators and extra related gear and spare fire hose and parts. Then we put it all back in storage, confident we could respond efficiently if the time comes.

With the recent fires breaking out all over Oregon, we're in one of the only counties that has not had a major fire so we are thankful for that but our hearts go out to all who have suffered.

One thing I had discovered when we were talking over contingencies, was a PVC water spigot I had in a distant field that could melt in a wildland fire, draining one of my water tanks. I picked up needed steel pipe and fittings yesterday to replace the PVC as it comes out of the ground to make it fire proof. All the other yard hydrants on that line are steel but I had somehow overlooked this one.

I also identified brush clearing and tree thinning goals to accomplish this winter, improving on the brush clearing we have already accomplished around the 100' perimeter of our buildings.

Kevin, what sort of solar batteries are replacing the old ones with? My system uses an 840 amp hour, lead-acid "HUP" battery made by Solar One. We rarely take it down below 80% capacity so should get a very long service life out of it.
We run L16 6 volt acid filled batteries 8 banks of 48 volts. 8 inverters and 8 chargers. We get about 7 years out of a battery before replacement. Watching water levels is critical. I have no love for sealed batteries. The power shack is 24' by 20' and holds the Gen set and all the panels and equipment. We make all out cables and stuff that wears out. We ran everything underground to all the buildings and the house.

Good catch on the PVC plumbing. That stuff is not cow friendly either. Its always getting broken. Its pops easy when it freezes. 20 years ago I bought a ton of stuff at a auction at a plumbing supply store. I will never run out of pipe and fittings.

We have a pretty extensive fab shop. Not much we can't build or fix.
Old 09-11-2020, 2:26 PM

And let’s not forget to have the chimney professional swept and inspected.
Old 09-11-2020, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Friends live up at the mountain by the coast. They have been off-the-grid for years, and they were well prepared (they thought.)

Last month, one night, the Sheriff notified them to evacuate from the CZU fire.

He and his wife had 3 hours (between 1am to 4am) to load up everything they could, into his Sprinter van, and bugged out. That included their 12 chickens, a cat, and his motorcycle (he loves his bike.)

After that, he told me, "Have a bug out plan."
Old 09-11-2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootytom View Post
And let’s not forget to have the chimney professional swept and inspected.

Why are you sweeping and inspecting a chimney professional. That would like really piss them off.
Old 09-26-2020, 4:24 PM

I'm taking Friday off from work each week until the election to get ready. Lots to do around my 40 acres. I'm finishing building a larger chicken coop. Added 9 more girls to my flock a few weeks ago. Just got two breeding pairs of rabbits and have their cages all set up. Will pick up enough straw and food to get them all through the winter next payday.

My remaining projects are reorganizing my main storage shed and installing a large shelving unit I got at a going out of business sale. I need to move and stack a couple cords of wood I split to a safer location behind the house. I'll winterize the house before the time change the weekend before the election. I'll be doing a BIG grocery run a week or so before the end of October to top off the freezers, fridge and pantry. Hoping to not leave the house for anything other than work and visiting my parents (20 minutes away) in November.

I feel ready for... most things. I don't have the family compound Kevin has but I've got people nearby I trust to help when I need it. I love where I live and I feel at peace...thank God!
Old 09-26-2020, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes winter is coming. Guess I'll dig out the thicker T shirts and long pants.
Old 09-27-2020, 2:05 PM

All I have left to do is split some wood for heating. I try to have everything ready by October 8th so hunting season is clear
Old 09-27-2020, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

new fireplace insert this week, finishing weather cover for back up atv, need pavers for back walkway, t stakes in, must finish barb wire, bear proofed garage (roofing nails on boards, security screen, double dead bolt and electric wire).

pantry restock, keltec 2000 ordered, upgrade to powered log splittwr
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 09-27-2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
... bear proofed garage (roofing nails on boards, security screen, double dead bolt and electric wire)....
Holy cow! You need to bear proof your garage!? What kind of bears do you have that such counter measures are needed? Do tell more!
Old 09-28-2020, 6:37 AM

Re: Bear proofing...Working with our local fed trapper and recent experience with bears I've found a hot wire fence has been the most effective. Physical barriers are not effective once the bear decides he wants in...On that note once a bear decides your place is a good source of food the only permanent solution is to remove the bear...
Old 09-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
Re: Bear proofing...Working with our local fed trapper and recent experience with bears I've found a hot wire fence has been the most effective. Physical barriers are not effective once the bear decides he wants in...On that note once a bear decides your place is a good source of food the only permanent solution is to remove the bear...
I agree. Bears are trouble.