Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-23-2016, 8:28 AM

Default Medal of valor

"For disarming a wanted man after he fired shots at him, a Pacifica police officer demonstrated such bravery and professionalism his police chief awarded him a Medal of Valor."

http://www.pacificatribune.com/news/...3bf925c05.html

Dang! Good job.

And thanks to all of you.
Old 07-23-2016, 9:34 AM

I think its great but incredibly lucky that the officer didnt die and he prob shouldve shot him...All this does is give people a false sense that we can disarm without having to use deadly force...dangerous but nontheless greatful the officer went home
Old 07-23-2016, 9:56 AM

Wow! 9 lives I guess. Glad he's safe, but I also agree with vgourdik.
Old 07-23-2016, 9:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree with both above. Very risky. Shoot to wound if so inclined but don't bring fists to an armed conflict.
Old 07-23-2016, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

For those that have NOT faced this type of encounter, sometimes, it's quicker to grab the perp's gun hand / firearm, than it is to pull out you duty weapon and return fire given the close proximity of the fight. If the Officer had tried to draw his own duty Pistol, he may have lost the encounter.

Glad to hear it worked out into the Officer's favor.

I had to laugh at this: “I’m glad that you managed to disarm this subject without having to fire your own weapon, said Council Member John Keener".

I'm sure Councilman Keener was relieved that right or wrong, the City wasn't going to have to pay out to the Perp or the Perp's Family if the Officer had shot him.

I grew up in Pacifica and was nearly hired there as a LEO but took a LEO job on the Peninsula.
Old 08-02-2016, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

I like many of us, probably have known numerous sworn co-workers that have been in deadly force shooting incidents ...and won. They survived yet the "brass" in most cases have FAILED to formerly recognize the surviving officer(s) because it involved the (righteous) death of a suspect.

Sadly and more so than not, departments nationwide fail to give a "medal of valor" award to an officer, for the justified killing (in self defense or defense of others) of a bad guy that needed to die during a gunfight.

One also learns late in a career that most medal of valor awards are insignificant tools, used to make only the "brass" look good at a big blown out ceremony and on the coattails of the individual officer.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-02-2016, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I agree with both above. Very risky. Shoot to wound if so inclined but don't bring fists to an armed conflict.
Sorry, but "shoot to wound?" Who trains that way???

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-02-2016, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm sure he used the best option available to him at that moment. Sounds like they were right on top of each other, better to go for his gun then try to get yours. If he would of tried to draw his own, perp would of most likely shot him.
He was fighting for his life and made the winning decision and that's the most important one, always win no matter the tools you have to use.
Old 08-02-2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I like many of us, probably have known numerous sworn co-workers that have been in deadly force shooting incidents ...and won. They survived yet the "brass" in most cases have FAILED to formerly recognize the surviving officer(s) because it involved the (righteous) death of a suspect.

Sadly and more so than not, departments nationwide fail to give a "medal of valor" award to an officer, for the justified killing (in self defense or defense of others) of a bad guy that needed to die during a gunfight.

One also learns late in a career that most medal of valor awards are insignificant tools, used to make only the "brass" look good at a big blown out ceremony and on the coattails of the individual officer.
Very well said...respect...
Old 08-02-2016, 7:36 PM

Question

BTW - Just wondering...what are all the ribbons for on his chest? He's got more than I did for the whole time I was in the service.
Old 08-02-2016, 9:29 PM

^^^^ I can't tell by the picture since it's blurry, however, my department has quite a few. Some are like commendations, service pins, American flag, and then the bigger and more obvious ones like, bronze star, silver star, purple heart, etc., etc.

Some departments even allow for certain pins earned in the military to be worn too.
Old 08-03-2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
^^^^ I can't tell by the picture since it's blurry, however, my department has quite a few. Some are like commendations, service pins, American flag, and then the bigger and more obvious ones like, bronze star, silver star, purple heart, etc., etc.

Some departments even allow for certain pins earned in the military to be worn too.
You don't say... thats new to this old fart...
Old 08-04-2016, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
You don't say... thats new to this old fart...
Really? Your department doesn't allow for medals or what not to be displayed on Class A uniforms?

We don't allow a ton like the military does, however, the high speed guys and gals in the department that have achieved a lot have some good stacking going on.

Last edited by esy; 08-04-2016 at 2:33 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 3:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Good for him!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 08-05-2016, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
BTW - Just wondering...what are all the ribbons for on his chest? He's got more than I did for the whole time I was in the service.
You did get a Good Conduct for K.P. and a thank you for your service.

Semper Fi
Old 08-06-2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
You did get a Good Conduct for K.P. and a thank you for your service.

Semper Fi
LOL...That's true. I guess I should be greatful!

And Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 9:38 PM
In Memoriam

not shooting award:

Shooting award:

Just showing up:

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 08-06-2016 at 9:44 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 7:32 AM

Damn nice Ron... Medal of Valor... Not too many of those go around. Do you mind sharing or posting a link to your exploits?

Wonder how many Calgunners have em... That could be a thread full of awesome for another time.

Dan
Old 08-11-2016, 8:14 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Damn nice Ron... Medal of Valor... Not too many of those go around. Do you mind sharing or posting a link to your exploits?

Wonder how many Calgunners have em... That could be a thread full of awesome for another time.

Dan
Basics: one involved climbing into a burning vehicle to render aid to two of the occupants, one of whom was not breathing. I performed rescue breathing inside the car, trusting others to put out the fire in the engine compartment. Three of the occupants in two crashed cars were critical and were airlifted to a trauma center. Two other passengers were severely injured. Everyone survived. This was in a very remote mountain area of LA County. The first ambulance took 45 minutes to get to us.

Another involved a gunfight. My partner and I were investigating an illegal shooting incident when three suspects opened fire on us, one of whom had an AK-47. The other two had handguns. They shot first, I shot best. I was credited with saving my partner, who was not in a position to return fire.

Another involved saving a baby that was not breathing in a high risk rescue.

The Meritorious Sevice Award was for trying to save a suicidal woman that was threatening to jump off a 9th floor ledge of the courthouse in downtown LA. I was unable to talk her off the ledge and she jumped to her death. After she jumped, I discovered that she had just thrown her two daughters, age 6 & 8, off the roof to their death. This was in 2000, and still haunts me.

The Distinguished Service Award was for 32+ years of exemplary service.

Not all PTSD comes from combat or shooting incidents. I saw a lot of horrible things during my career. The things people do to other people is unsettling. Years later, I still can't talk about some things easily. One was one of the "Nightstalker" crime scenes. Think "Helter Skelter" on steroids.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-12-2016, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Basics: one involved climbing into a burning vehicle to render aid to two of the occupants, one of whom was not breathing. I performed rescue breathing inside the car, trusting others to put out the fire in the engine compartment. Three of the occupants in two crashed cars were critical and were airlifted to a trauma center. Two other passengers were severely injured. Everyone survived. This was in a very remote mountain area of LA County. The first ambulance took 45 minutes to get to us.

Another involved a gunfight. My partner and I were investigating an illegal shooting incident when three suspects opened fire on us, one of whom had an AK-47. The other two had handguns. They shot first, I shot best. I was credited with saving my partner, who was not in a position to return fire.

Another involved saving a baby that was not breathing in a high risk rescue.

The Meritorious Sevice Award was for trying to save a suicidal woman that was threatening to jump off a 9th floor ledge of the courthouse in downtown LA. I was unable to talk her off the ledge and she jumped to her death. After she jumped, I discovered that she had just thrown her two daughters, age 6 & 8, off the roof to their death. This was in 2000, and still haunts me.

The Distinguished Service Award was for 32+ years of exemplary service.

Not all PTSD comes from combat or shooting incidents. I saw a lot of horrible things during my career. The things people do to other people is unsettling. Years later, I still can't talk about some things easily. One was one of the "Nightstalker" crime scenes. Think "Helter Skelter" on steroids.
Thank you for sharing. I hope retirement is treating you well.

Stay safe.
Old 08-13-2016, 8:39 AM

indeed. Thank you for sharing Ron!

Dan

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.