Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 07-01-2010, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Default Am I still young?

Am I still young?

heres a little background on me with some pictures

I work at a BMW and MBZ indie shop in Anaheim, I have been there for about a year now, I am the shop boy and love my job there

heres the fun side of the job

this is a 1985 BMW 635CSI euro with 50,000 orginal miles

I am also into rimfire rifles

heres is my first rifle
CZ 452 Varmint .17hmr with a Weaver v-24

next came a .22lr
this is a CZ 452 American 16" with a Weaver v-16

then it was a
CZ 452 Trainer .22lr

the finally my newest addition to the family
here is a 1973 Ruger 10-22 prewarning label barrel and a walnut stock it has a Nikon 2-7x32mm up top

Last edited by WDE91; 01-03-2011 at 8:19 AM..
Old 10-09-2010, 5:52 AM

Well its never bad to start.you can only buy rifles at 18.the only way to be given a pistol is by past down of your father.
Old 10-09-2010, 6:53 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkearns View Post
Am I still young? I will be turning 19 in a couple days
Puppy alert !!! JK, Its fun to be young. I wish I was young again, I'd hit all the girls I didn't know how to handle when I was 19. Enjoy yourself, but make sure whatever you do won't impact your future. Because if you F up, you can't have guns anymore !!! Judging from your pictures you treasure the ownershp of firearms. Good luck and have fun Puppy !!!
Old 10-09-2010, 8:52 AM

your still wet behind the ears...lol. jk

doing well as others say.. stay our of trouble..
Old 10-09-2010, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

I'm 21, I feel older, kinda. But I know there is way more out there that I haven't experienced. Maybe its because most of my friends are 25-30.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 10-09-2010, 4:56 PM

You will always be a youngster in someones eyes! I am 34 and am the youngest tradesman at work. It looks like you are off to a good start. You have an eye for great guns. I am sure you can't wait until you turn 21. One thing I would advise is if you are not already I would join the NRA and help fight to keep our rights for all of the guys and gals younger than you who haven't had the chance to enjoy our freedoms.
Old 11-10-2010, 9:08 PM

1+ join the NRA its good for us
Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 AM

1 Corinthians 13:11
I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you or anyone else who reads my posts legal advice. I am making off-the-cuff comments that may or may not be accurate and are personal, not professional, opinion. If you think you need a lawyer please retain a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction. Your local bar association may be able to help if you need a referral.

Two Weeks!: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...p/t-59936.html
Old 11-15-2010, 4:03 PM
In Memoriam

Chronologically you are young, hopefully you have the maturity to run with the old dogs. I'll be 60 in January. I'm slower now, but still crazy after all these years,but I've learned a few things i wish I knew at your age

Last edited by thomashoward; 11-15-2010 at 4:05 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman View Post
1 Corinthians 13:11
+1

Quote:
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.

Young? Yes. Childish? Not so much. Keep up the hard work and have fun!
Old 12-02-2010, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Chronologically you are young, hopefully you have the maturity to run with the old dogs. I'll be 60 in January. I'm slower now, but still crazy after all these years,but I've learned a few things i wish I knew at your age
Yes so have I at 54. I no longer jump head first in to the fight, now I just shoot . Remember age is just a number. It is your maturity level and frame of mind that matters. I have seen 20 & 30 something run over by 50, 60 & 70 somethings. As was said before pay attention to the laws, all it takes it a minor misstep by you or some one who you may with to change your entire life. You can see it on calguns all the time. And keep up the fight for those who will be following you.
Old 12-02-2010, 5:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, still a child, but you appear to have nice taste in firearms, especially for someone so young. I own and operate my own Volvo repair shop and my hunting shooting partner is the "KID" from the neighbor BMW/MBZ shop. The kid is 24 now and rapidly growing out of that moniker. Good luck to ya.
Old 12-05-2010, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Enlighten us please . Ill be twenty november next year... 1 year too many from owning a handgun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
efficiency in the kitchen.
Old 12-06-2010, 5:59 AM
Internet 'Tough Guy'

Yes, you are.
Old 12-06-2010, 7:41 PM

YaY NRA FTW
Old 06-06-2011, 9:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret View Post
Enlighten us please . Ill be twenty november next year... 1 year too many from owning a handgun.
You have two ears & one mouth. Listen twice as much as you talk.

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 PM

i see you like classic german cars.
keep working on them old beaters you'll grow out of it / hate em ask me how i know.
other than that nice rimfires.
Old 06-09-2011, 8:09 AM

Yes you are young. I strongly encourage you to get more education. This job may be nice for now, but in 20 years you may not be so happy with it and your options may be quite limited. I had a friend who in the mid 80s while in high school got a union job at Safeway. He was making something like 3 or 4 times minimum wage. It was an awesome job and an unheard ammount of hourly money. We lost track and we reconnected when we were about 30. His salary had only kept up with inflation and suddenly wasn't that good. He went to night school in his 30s to finish college so he could get a better paying job.

Also, save really hard for retirement in your 20s (almost nobody evey listens to me on this one). I would limit yourself to one centerfire rifle and one pistol when you come of age to buy it. There is magic in compounding interest. It you do this, you will be set for retirement. Most people don't figure out the need to save hard for retirement till they are in their 40s and it is still doable but much more painful as you need to put away much more money.

I know I know, I must sound like your parrents.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 06-09-2011, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
Yes you are young. I strongly encourage you to get more education. This job may be nice for now, but in 20 years you may not be so happy with it and your options may be quite limited. I had a friend who in the mid 80s while in high school got a union job at Safeway. ... His salary had only kept up with inflation and suddenly wasn't that good. He went to night school in his 30s to finish college so he could get a better paying job.

Also, save really hard for retirement in your 20s (almost nobody evey listens to me on this one). I would limit yourself to one centerfire rifle and one pistol when you come of age to buy it. There is magic in compounding interest. It you do this, you will be set for retirement.

I know I know, I must sound like your parrents.
You'd do good listening to this guy. I'm a finance major and this is how our head works. Compounding interest is key. If you learn anything from this forum regarding personal finances, it's that earning 10-15% consistently for 10 years and reinvesting your returns will get you a lot of money.
Old 06-09-2011, 9:59 AM

Nice toys, I wish I'd had the same when I was your age. Enjoyed it and stay out of troubles, life is good!

All Gave Some, Some Gave All...
Old 06-12-2011, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default Am I still young?

Well heres an update a bit short of a year from the start of this thread

Am I still young?
I have done about a years worth of living and learning

I have added the following guns 870,AR15,CZ 455
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=384210
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=380728

Its kinda been a crazy year but indeed a good year

I tried out UTI (automotive trade school) and was working at a Nissan dealership
I was at UTI for a couple months before getting a job at the Nissan dealership
quickly found out that I needed out
I realized that I believe I am going to be better off with a college education
This was kinda a hard realization as I thought I was never going to step foot in a college
Also I thought that I would be spending my career at a car dealership

I moved back home to Irvine and started my first semester of college at Irvine Valley College
Started the spring semester and took 3 classes (2-A's & 1-B)
for my first semester of something I never though I would be doing Im pretty happy

Well I am back a dealership as a service porter
I got the job at Acura maybe a month after moving back home
The hunt for the job was rather painless I went looking for maybe 45 minutes and landed it
though I am purely looking at this as a job for when I am in school

my car is doing well but is an old german car
Its a 1993 BMW e36 325I with a 5spd and a hair under 106k miles
the car has been in the family since it was bought new at Crevier and is really special to me
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/P1000843.jpg
I wash my car every 7-10 days
only drinks 91 octane Chevron gas

On Friday I went back to my first job at the indie shop and did rear shock mounts and reinforcement plates
I have learned young that it is always important to never burn bridges and to stay on good terms with old employers

On the financial side of things

watched the run of silver up to a hair under $50 very closely
my little box of goodies for doing VERY VERY well there for a while
I have recently set up some saving's account that will be generating 3% interest on $500 after 13 months
upped the credit card limit to $2000
For retirement I am doing $20 a month
I am thinking it may not be a bad idea to bring that up quite a bit per month

I have also gotten into reloading with the help of a couple helpful and generous Calguner's
Big Bronco,Bongo's,Maschronic, and Denver Duck

Well thats my long winded life update
I am going through this thing called life and learning what works and what does not