Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-02-2020, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

Default 1911 MSH+Magwell

I’ve got a springfield Loaded MC Operator and want to get a magwell for it. Does anyone have any experience with installing one on a this pistol? A good brand to go with that seems to work best? Ed Brown, Wilson Combat etc.
Old 08-02-2020, 7:31 AM

Smith & Alexander magwells is what I've used on most of my 1911's, two of them are on SA's. My preference is the 1 piece type and these all installed without any issues; however I did change out the grips to a flat bottom style to make for a cleaner look.
I've also used a Dawson Precision magwell and it worked pretty good.
Old 08-02-2020, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

Take a look at Stan Chen:

https://store.chencustom.com/product_p/si-mag.htm

I put one on my Guncrafter, nice mag well
Old 08-02-2020, 2:45 PM

+1 on the Stan Chen. You'll also need to get an MSH kit from Brownell's since the Springfield MSH has that locking system so not all of the parts can transfer over.

Last edited by HibikiR; 08-02-2020 at 3:54 PM..
Old 08-02-2020, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Flash View Post
Smith & Alexander magwells is what I've used on most of my 1911's, two of them are on SA's. My preference is the 1 piece type and these all installed without any issues; however I did change out the grips to a flat bottom style to make for a cleaner look.
I've also used a Dawson Precision magwell and it worked pretty good.
Flat bottom, is that a standard grip instead of a magwell grip?
Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
+1 on the Stan Chen. You'll also need to get an MSH kit from Brownell's since the Springfield MSH has that locking system so not all of the parts can transfer over.
I was curious about this. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-03-2020, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Flat bottom, is that a standard grip instead of a magwell grip?
The standard grip has a bevel at the bottom of the panel, flat (aka magwell grip) bottom grips ideally should follow the contours of the 1911 and the MSH seamlessly. (OK, there's some exceptions here as other manufacturers deviate from this contour pattern)

VZ Grips work well with the Stan Chen, but the Operator series of VZ grips has some material removed from the front side of the panels and slightly breaks the seamless look. It's nothing major.

The pictures for the Stan Chen SI product page show flat bottom grips, but here's a link to a standard grip and the gap it produces when combined with a magwell. (https://i.imgur.com/6jDb0JF.jpg)

Last edited by HibikiR; 08-03-2020 at 2:39 AM..
Old 08-03-2020, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Take a look at Stan Chen:

https://store.chencustom.com/product_p/si-mag.htm

I put one on my Guncrafter, nice mag well
Did you have to do much fitting and blending on your installation?
Old 08-03-2020, 7:47 AM

Either makers are good choices for magwells. I have used the Smith and Alexander version on my springfields. There will need to be some blending of the opening. If it doesn't bother you you don't have to do the blending. I believe the stan chen may need to be blended as well since the MC operator comes with a slightly blended bottom opening i believe. If it does then the mating surfaces would not match with any magwell.

I know my loaded did not match. My TRP's were square from the factory so any magwell would need to be blended to open up the magwell.

Have you seen the Nighthawk one piece versions. Wilson makes a nice one piece version as well.

But for the price you can't beat the Smith and alexander version. You will want the GM-1 version with flat mainspring. Don't forget to order the standard 1911 innards since you will want to get rid of the ILS with the heavy mainspring.

Try a 19lb mainspring to start with your standard 16lb recoil spring or even a 17lb recoil spring.
Old 08-03-2020, 3:05 PM

The Stan Chen went surprisingly well with my MC Operator. The image of his grip on a Springfield that is found on the product page is a good representation of what it looks like. It's not Cifaldi-level blended, but heaps better than a Smith and Alexander on the same gun.

Nighthawk is one of those manufacturers where the magwell has what I can only describe as a flat interruption of the outer curve and that doesn't match the curve on VZ grips.

Last edited by HibikiR; 08-03-2020 at 3:08 PM..
Old 08-03-2020, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Flash View Post
Did you have to do much fitting and blending on your installation?
No fitting needed. I did not blend, close enough for me.