Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Buying land in AZ - no physical access

Just looked through dozens of properties but most of them say things like no roads, no physical access, etc.

Why would someone buy a property that it's in the mountains with no physical access without trespassing? I have a jeep with 4wd so I don't care if there are no roads and I have to "make one" on owned property, but if you can't access your owned property, I'm not seeing many options there.

E: did a bit of research and basically it counts on easements to gain access. some of these properties are 4-5x removed from a physical road, how many "neighbors" would you have to pay off? who knows. let's talk about this though if anyone has interest, I really want a property that is "not far" from orange county. Been watching the 40 acres thread but it's a solid 8 hours away from me which is a bit much. this property would be used for camping and shooting, don't plan on living there.

Last edited by tehDiceman; 11-13-2019 at 12:59 PM..
Old 11-13-2019, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

try posting in the off topic forum. more traffic there.
Williams and kingman. if you don't mind the snow .
Old 11-14-2019, 5:12 AM

If the easement is recorded, no problems with access to the property.
Old 11-14-2019, 5:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

WE have a property near san miguel and there is a property behind us we have landlocked. No way we will allow access. Behind that is blm. Some guys approached us years ago and said we had to allow access. For that demand we won't let them access. No easement. Do not want them traipsing across property which we hunt and run cattle on. No roads at all in that area.

Last edited by edgerly779; 11-14-2019 at 5:20 AM..
Old 11-14-2019, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

NICE
Old 11-14-2019, 7:49 AM

Its worth mentioning-
I have a few friends that have bought remote places....seems like a good idea until they lived there and then they saw the dirty underbelly that is rural CA,OR,AZ. Meth heads and such have destroyed some of these areas.

FWIW, I've seen cases where buying an easement from the neighbor costs more than the property itself.

A hunting guide buddy bought 300 acres in N Az. Why I have no idea. Its solid PJ with only one flat spot for a house and no water...no utilities.

The No utilities part isn't a big deal these days....except for the fact that folks will break in while you are away and steal your solar controls and panels...
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Old 11-14-2019, 7:49 AM

double post

Last edited by Beendare; 11-22-2019 at 2:38 PM..
Old 11-14-2019, 8:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Real estate is worth a multiple of the income the property can generate.

Let me guess- this land is “dirt cheap”

Some folks speculate on land.... others buy land with no mineral rights, no water rights and almost no access.

Can you build a home on the parcel?
Are the parcels surrounding this one occupied with homes or farms? Meth labs?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
WE have a property near san miguel and there is a property behind us we have landlocked. No way we will allow access. Behind that is blm. Some guys approached us years ago and said we had to allow access. For that demand we won't let them access. No easement. Do not want them traipsing across property which we hunt and run cattle on. No roads at all in that area.
That's well and good and all, until they take you to court and the judge decides you get to allow access like it or not. Least that's my take away on it. I'm sure it's move involved than that but I figure there comes a point where you don't get to say no anymore. That area is a bit close to the southern border for me though, I don't want to have to worry about "cartels" or smuggling/drugs/etc rolling through the property.

Lots of talk about houses/utilities/etc, I don't plan on putting a home on whatever property would come about. I get the meth heads will be around and potentially damage things, though honestly hoping the property is far enough out that there wouldn't be a lot of people wandering around. On site security is certainly something to be worried about. (considered picking up an old shipping container and partially burying it in a hill just to store targets, tables, whatever on site)

I'm disappointed in the listings I guess. We've gotten used to items being described in full with detailed pictures and information, near none of these listings have worthwhile pictures, easement information, or even GPS coordinates without calling the realtor. Maybe that's by design, maybe it's just a volume business because what we're talking about is basically speculative real estate. Just seems like there is gonna be a lot of leg work and even more gotcha's that would likely burn me as I have no experience in buying bare land. Would be my luck to drop coin on a spot and then be rolled up on by cops because you're not allowed to shoot there for "reasons".
Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cartels and smuggling drugs near paso robles you must be geographically challenged. They bought land at auction with no access. We have no reason to allow access. Let them buy more to get access.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Cartels and smuggling drugs near paso robles you must be geographically challenged. They bought land at auction with no access. We have no reason to allow access. Let them buy more to get access.
I was under the impression you were talking about San Miguel, AZ given the thread title of "Buying land in AZ".

Old 11-14-2019, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I should have clarified . Never thought if san Miguel in az. Flat land with not much hunting.
Old 11-14-2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
I should have clarified . Never thought if san Miguel in az. Flat land with not much hunting.
Yes, the other problem you'll have when looking for land in AZ for shooting, if it's flat it's no good unless you want to put in the work to make a berm.

Paso Robles, what a nice area. I'd love to move up there but I already commute enough as is and from what I've heard, much of the work is in SLO. If I'm going through the trouble of moving homes, I won't be commuting much at the destination.
Old 11-14-2019, 7:33 PM

I have five acres my Dad bought in the late 60's out side Logandale NV. I can find it on Google earth and it is so inaccessible to be a joke. But the taxes are cheap.
Old 11-14-2019, 8:43 PM

I spent 40 or so years in title insurance. My friend wanted to buy 480 acres that touched at the corner of his property but had no apparent legal access. The junction was like a +. The assumed property line was at his back fence. Having started as a records searcher at the Hall of Records and a title examiner, I did some research and found there was actually a recorded easement behind his back fence from decades prior. The neighbors behind him had to relocate their fence so he could have access - it was actually a public easement up to the property line of the land he was buying.
He got the property really cheap as the seller (a railroad, actually) thought the property was landlocked. And I have a place to hunt and camp.
Old 11-15-2019, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

The moral to this story is, if you want to buy undeveloped land, you need to do your research. If the story is fully developed and the real estate agent can hand you a package with everything in it, the price for the dirt will be high.
Old 11-15-2019, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehDiceman View Post
Been watching the 40 acres thread but it's a solid 8 hours away from me which is a bit much. this property would be used for camping and shooting, don't plan on living there.
Where's the 40 acre thread?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm thinking about selling my 40 acre lot. It is in Tonopah. 1/4x1/4 mile square. 2 sides are against BLM land. the 3rd side is on the only dirt road there. The fourth side is against a 35/40 acre lot that had 5 acrs subdivided on the opposite side. A guy camps on that 5 acre lot. No livable structures. Closest full time resident is 1 mile away. Access to the land is from I-10 and pavement until the last 2 miles then it is maintained dirt road. There is a soft sand dry wash that requires 4x4 to get through maybe 100 yards. Access from the south of the land can be done with a Honda Civic but it is an extra 20 minutes drive. It can also be accessed from I-8 but i don;t live that way.

The land is pristine in that area with no smugglers. The local ranchers are very aggressive and will stop you if they do not recognize you. There are booby traps in the roads to keep thieves out. I had to drive abotu 2 miles to actually find garbage in the area. It is that clean out there. Even the trails are dusted over so when you drive out there you are the only one making tire tracks. It is why I really do not want to shoot on the property since it is so clean.

I am only thinking about selling it because I bought it before I locked in a property where my friends shoot and I do my machine gun rentals. I now have access to 70 acres of land in that area and it is great for wheeling and shooting. The 40 acre lot is mostly flat and would need a berm eventually but since I have never seen another human out there you can shoot long range out to 3 miles and use the mountains as a back stop. No one even shoots into those mountains. The land is clean along all the access roads.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=376
Old 11-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Good undeveloped land is hard to come by and I must have looked at over 200 hundred pieces before i found some in Colorado down by Moffat that Adams state college just wanted to dump. I have never built on it even though it has acess to everything and its own pond and artisan well. My neighbors longhorns used to be the best watchdogs in the county. Just be prepared to look hard and long. I got mine 30 years ago and it was not easy then.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Where's the 40 acre thread?
Here you go. Property is up near Williams, AZ. The property is pretty nice but the 8-9 hour drive from my place makes is a hard sell.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1549699
Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks. It would be about that long for me too, and I live in the state.

Actually, I would guess that if you did want to drive that far, that north of Kingman would be even cheaper. It's really desolate and ugly up there.

But there is ample Federal land closer to CA than that. I've seen long distance videos near Lake Havasu. Lots of open space there and it's free.
Old 11-16-2019, 9:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehDiceman View Post
That's well and good and all, until they take you to court and the judge decides you get to allow access like it or not. Least that's my take away on it. I'm sure it's move involved than that but I figure there comes a point where you don't get to say no anymore. That area is a bit close to the southern border for me though, I don't want to have to worry about "cartels" or smuggling/drugs/etc rolling through the property.

Lots of talk about houses/utilities/etc, I don't plan on putting a home on whatever property would come about. I get the meth heads will be around and potentially damage things, though honestly hoping the property is far enough out that there wouldn't be a lot of people wandering around. On site security is certainly something to be worried about. (considered picking up an old shipping container and partially burying it in a hill just to store targets, tables, whatever on site)

I'm disappointed in the listings I guess. We've gotten used to items being described in full with detailed pictures and information, near none of these listings have worthwhile pictures, easement information, or even GPS coordinates without calling the realtor. Maybe that's by design, maybe it's just a volume business because what we're talking about is basically speculative real estate. Just seems like there is gonna be a lot of leg work and even more gotcha's that would likely burn me as I have no experience in buying bare land. Would be my luck to drop coin on a spot and then be rolled up on by cops because you're not allowed to shoot there for "reasons".
If you think a court ruling is going to matter on accessing your property in the desolate areas of AZ you should consider buying elsewhere. There are folks that close off the public roads and the police will not come out to deal with the issue.

There are 3 roads I will not drive on near my private property. One is the only access to the BLM trails on the far west side on my property. The guy that lives on that road closed it off by cementing nails and glass into the road. Then he dug out a trench and put up road construction signs to make it look like the government is working on it. Another road leads into a valley with a pot grow. I drove into it on accident and the guys living there took it over so there was only 1 way in and one way out. If I did not have an ak47 in my front seat to show them I was not playing games they would have been less polite to let me and my friend turn around in our jeeps. The thrid road also has a construction sign and a private road sign on it. We all know it is not a private road but it is not worth fighting over it and the owners have the high ground advantage. We do not need that road but we like to wheel in that area. Only reason I know it exists.

Not too far from my 10 acre range some guy decided to drop his rv in the middle of the road instead of clearing his land. We used to drive around it but now he bermed it in and closed off the road. My buddy that owns the 50 acres next to me has been dealing with the county and sheriff over that issue for a year now. I do not use that road since my jeep can go though the dry washes just as fast so I really do not care.

Go a few miles off pavement and it is a totally different world and no court or cop will be of any help with your land disputes. You either get along with your neighbor or you move away.

Storing stuff is a waste of time. My neighbor had a container on his land. They stole the container. They stole anything that was metal. Unless you are on that land 24/7 anything metal or of value will be stolen. Metal prices are very low now so it is not a big issue but when prices go up nothing is safe.

CA compliance service

Old 11-16-2019, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In our search in and around the Prescott Valley area of Arizona there was a really great property we initially really liked. Price was right and was relatively brand new. But then we found out that you would need to have water deliveries and there we really no utilities at all so that was bit too far off the grid for us.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:11 PM

There are nice parcels in Northern AZ and further east. It's a slog by car, but by plane, it's not too bad. Plus when SHTF, getting in the air gets you out of harm's way faster. I have my certificate and my own plane, so getting to AZ or NV is not much of an issue. Some places worth considering are the rural airparks in AZ and NV since there is a community around it and they generally protect the area.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
In our search in and around the Prescott Valley area of Arizona there was a really great property we initially really liked. Price was right and was relatively brand new. But then we found out that you would need to have water deliveries and there we really no utilities at all so that was bit too far off the grid for us.
That entire area is questionable. Most of that water is loaded with arsenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk View Post
There are nice parcels in Northern AZ and further east. It's a slog by car, but by plane, it's not too bad. Plus when SHTF, getting in the air gets you out of harm's way faster. I have my certificate and my own plane, so getting to AZ or NV is not much of an issue. Some places worth considering are the rural airparks in AZ and NV since there is a community around it and they generally protect the area.
Were general aviation planes allowed to fly on 9/11? That is the closest to shtf fan in recent memory and I thought all planes were grounded. Just from my little experience watching CNN I'm pretty sure the first thing the government likes to do when going to blow up people is take control of the air. The USA could be a huge no fly zone.

CA compliance service

Old 11-16-2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Were general aviation planes allowed to fly on 9/11? That is the closest to shtf fan in recent memory and I thought all planes were grounded. Just from my little experience watching CNN I'm pretty sure the first thing the government likes to do when going to blow up people is take control of the air. The USA could be a huge no fly zone.
There's something called "scud running." Pull the circuit breaker on ADS-B out transmissions and keep below 1000 feet (closer to 500 feet) and you'll likely be off radar as long as you're not within a Mode C veil. Hypothetically speaking, of course, in case any agency is watching this thread.

Main thing is to NOT wait. If things look like they're going to go pear shaped, get in the plane and start boring a hole in the sky before action is taken.

Last edited by rtk; 11-16-2019 at 2:24 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 9:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk View Post
There's something called "scud running." Pull the circuit breaker on ADS-B out transmissions and keep below 1000 feet (closer to 500 feet) and you'll likely be off radar as long as you're not within a Mode C veil. Hypothetically speaking, of course, in case any agency is watching this thread.

Main thing is to NOT wait. If things look like they're going to go pear shaped, get in the plane and start boring a hole in the sky before action is taken.
We have small planes fly over my property every weekend. In a SHTF scenario where all forms of law and civility were ended those planes would be riddled with bullets by the yocals just for fun. Hypothetically speaking of course.

CA compliance service

Old 11-19-2019, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

You got 7.62x39 tracers? It would be just like you were at Big Sandy.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
You got 7.62x39 tracers? It would be just like you were at Big Sandy.
only 556 and 9mm tracers. I might get some x39 in a few months. MY buddy is having a 40th birthday party on our gun range in February. We have been amassing firewood and plan to do a lot of shooting.

CA compliance service

Old 11-20-2019, 3:28 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The bottom line is with any of this property in question, you're basically buying a huge camping spot with no hookups. If you can't improve on it, it's not worth owning and that's why it's cheap.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 11-20-2019, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just drove thru one way and spent the night on way back in Williams pretty little town in the Pinon Pines close to Flagstaff which has all the shopping, dining, etc. I sold my 40 acres in Heber, Az on the rim. Nothing nearby no services, water, shopping a long way.

Last edited by edgerly779; 11-20-2019 at 4:10 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
only 556 and 9mm tracers. I might get some x39 in a few months.
Wouldn't be as much fun as the MG42. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Quote:
MY buddy is having a 40th birthday party on our gun range in February. We have been amassing firewood and plan to do a lot of shooting.
If you get a Ma Deuce I can bring my can of API/APIT.
Old 11-22-2019, 9:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We just had 2 days of rain. I'm more worried about the road than anything else. It has already eaten my jeep once.

CA compliance service

Old 11-22-2019, 9:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your new Jeep will be better able to straddle that ditch.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Your new Jeep will be better able to straddle that ditch.
I have to go look at the road this weekend. I'm thinking it is a bit worse.

CA compliance service

Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

The old one is probably still blocking that "road".
Old 11-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
The old one is probably still blocking that "road".
i had a choice between walking 30 miles home or letting a ford pull me out.

It was a tough choice but the jeep is home.

CA compliance service

Old 11-22-2019, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have to go look at the road this weekend. I'm thinking it is a bit worse.
Wranglers like it “worse”.
Old 11-22-2019, 2:46 PM

Just for shooting?

So much public land for that.....why buy a place?
Old 11-22-2019, 3:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
Just for shooting?

So much public land for that.....why buy a place?
Fire restrictions in Phoenix close public land much of the year.
No tracers
No tannerite
No reserved spot

We used to shoot on public land. Even set up plates and left them there. But every year more public places closed up. More restriction. Which leads to overcrowding and a snowball effect of more closures.

I went from a 25 minute drive to trust land where to police did not care if you shot as long as you kept it clean to a 1 hour drive to blm land. Then that area was shrunk down to 1/10 of the original spot.

So now for the cost of a cheap car I own land that I can shoot, blow up, burn, or do anything else I want. OUr night shoots are fun. We shoot all day, grill, then night shoot, then camp, then grill, then shoot some more before going home.

You have to actually experience the true freedom to understand.

CA compliance service