Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Default ccw and schools

Does it matter if the school is no longer in session? ie can I have it if Im working at a school at night when nobody is there? What about if the school is being built, new construction. Just wondering. I have to work night shift this week and we are doing some electrical work at a high school that is in a really bad area.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

There is no distinction in either federal law or California law, between the school being in session or not. I wouldn't risk it.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
There is no distinction in either federal law or California law, between the school being in session or not. I wouldn't risk it.
This. It dictates school property, so no go to CCW in CA.
Old 11-04-2019, 2:02 PM

Not the same, but I work in a building with security and right now the building is being remodeled, mostly at night and on weekends. The owner has to provide security as long as anyone is in the building, so they have an FPS team there whenever it's closed but workers are present. Maybe the school could have one or two of their resource officers, or whatever they're called, pull a shift while you're there after hours? At least then you'd have someone watching your back and wouldn't need to look over your shoulder every 15 seconds. Just a thought. Oh, do resource officers in California carry? I probably should have asked that first.
Old 11-05-2019, 7:55 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfamous View Post
Does it matter if the school is no longer in session? ie can I have it if Im working at a school at night when nobody is there? What about if the school is being built, new construction. Just wondering. I have to work night shift this week and we are doing some electrical work at a high school that is in a really bad area.
It does not matter if the school is in sesssion or not, it is still in effect.

Therefore, while on school property...
Handgun needs to be unloaded and in a locked container [PC 626.9(c)(2)], that is hidden from plain sight in the vehicle or in the vehicle's trunk [PC 25140(a)].
Ammo needs to be in a locked container inside a vehicle. [PC 30310(b)(10)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-05-2019 at 8:40 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 8:20 PM

Concealed means concealed. That is if you choose to take your firearm.

Think of it this way. Something does go sideways and you end up saving your life or the life of a coworker. You are then stripped of your CCW and become a felon. So your life is saved but your rights are taken away. Tough choice but only one you can make.
Old 11-07-2019, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonandSasquatchShow View Post
Concealed means concealed. That is if you choose to take your firearm.

Think of it this way. Something does go sideways and you end up saving your life or the life of a coworker. You are then stripped of your CCW and become a felon. So your life is saved but your rights are taken away. Tough choice but only one you can make.
How is that a tough choice?
Old 11-09-2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
It does not matter if the school is in sesssion or not, it is still in effect.

Therefore, while on school property...
Handgun needs to be unloaded and in a locked container [PC 626.9(c)(2)], that is hidden from plain sight in the vehicle or in the vehicle's trunk [PC 25140(a)].
Ammo needs to be in a locked container inside a vehicle. [PC 30310(b)(10)]
Guessing the same locked container for both would be okay?
Old 11-09-2019, 6:39 PM

School property is school property/zone 24/7 365.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 PM

What about an abandoned school? Like, a school district closed a school and no longer use it as a school or anything else but they still own it?

What about school district property NOT on the grounds of any school--- bus barn, admin offices, etc.? Probably prohibited under the rules of a school district but is it by law?
As for the "don't leave CA you coward" sentiment: I don't fault anyone for feeling that way. I felt that way myself for years. In the end though, CA is a lost cause and the poor people of rural CA will be ruled by the pink-clad fist of San Francisco for the foreseeable future. Living the rest of my life in misery and denying my children freedom won't change that.
WTB: Remington R51 Second Generation

WTB: Ruger GP100 .357 3" Seven shot
Old 11-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrian View Post
What about an abandoned school? Like, a school district closed a school and no longer use it as a school or anything else but they still own it?

What about school district property NOT on the grounds of any school--- bus barn, admin offices, etc.? Probably prohibited under the rules of a school district but is it by law?
Here's what PC 626.9 says
Quote:
(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:

(1) “Concealed firearm” has the same meaning as that term is given in Sections 25400 and 25610.

(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as that term is given in subdivisions (a) to (d), inclusive, of Section 16520.

(3) “Locked container” has the same meaning as that term is given in Section 16850.

(4) “School zone” means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.

(f) (1) A person who violates subdivision (b) by possessing a firearm in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for two, three, or five years.

(2) A person who violates subdivision (b) by possessing a firearm within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, shall be punished as follows:
A property not providing instruction - 'no longer a school' or 'never was a school', as offices, seems to be excluded.

Note that the law does not say "while" providing instruction, so the 24/7/365 exclusion does seem to apply.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-14-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here's what PC 626.9 says

A property not providing instruction - 'no longer a school' or 'never was a school', as offices, seems to be excluded.

Note that the law does not say "while" providing instruction, so the 24/7/365 exclusion does seem to apply.
Do universities and colleges have same restrictions as school zone?
Old 11-14-2019, 7:31 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Do universities and colleges have same restrictions as school zone?
No 1000' zone for college/university. [PC 626.9(e)(4)]

Not legal to bring or possess a loaded firearm on college/university property, unless the person is exempt or has written permission from the college/university president/dean or their designated representative. [PC 626.9(h)]

Not legal to bring or possess an unloaded firearm on college/university property, unless the person is exempt or has written permission from the college/university president/dean or their designated representative. [PC 626.9(i)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-16-2019, 1:52 PM

Zero tolerance for guns in CA public schools. Don’t risk it. If something does happen, go with plan save ***. Jump out the window and run like a bastard.