Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-13-2019, 7:20 AM

Default Prices..

This has probably been touched on, but when I search Mosin Nagant there is a deluge of rifles for sale.

When exactly did the M91/30 become a $350+ rifle? I just saw a link for round receiver Mosins for $399.99 at a dealer?? $449.99 for a hex receiver?

Open market trying to get $350? This was a $200-250 gun less than a year ago, and that was too high.

Seems like prices for this rifle are on an unrealistic climb.

The M91/30 is a sub $250 gun, always will be. It would take some serious convincing for me to think otherwise. And yes.. I have owned and shot M91/30, M38 and M44 variants and this helps me base my sub $250 for the M91/30. Maybe $400 on the high end for a M44/M38.
Old 02-13-2019, 7:22 AM

The millennial generation is getting into collecting and it is apparent they have moved on from the cowboy guns that our fathers collected and WWII guns are the focus point of the generations collectors. Nagant's being the cheapest entry level collector rifle would inevitably inflate as supply goes down and demand goes up.
WTS Mosin Nagant M91/30 and M1895 Nagant Revolver PM me for info
Apply for C&R FFL 03 here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instruc...rearms-license
Apply for California COE here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert-eligibility
Old 02-13-2019, 7:22 AM

I remember wen they were sub $100 guns, always would be lol
WTS Mosin Nagant M91/30 and M1895 Nagant Revolver PM me for info
Apply for C&R FFL 03 here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instruc...rearms-license
Apply for California COE here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert-eligibility
Old 02-13-2019, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Supply and demand. Sometimes it works out in your favor, some times not so much.
Old 02-13-2019, 8:04 AM

Not a millennial, but...

When my father passed away, I was left with a collection of cowboy lever actions also. I had no interest, therefore they were all sold to other collectors (almost all an older crowd).

The milsurp market used to have box stores like Big 5 dumping Yugos, Mosins and Spanish Mausers (.308 rebarrel) for $99. No longer.

And now with California's ridiculous ammunition prices, it's not cheap to hit the range.

As for reloading, the 40 year old collector like myself has two working parents, kids with activities seven days a week, and a garage full of tricycles and camping gear. Time and space are very limited. I bet it's sure easier to pay $350 for a 91/30 and buy a bunch of Wolf ammo in bulk than to shell out $1200 for a Garand and try to find 30/06 Garand ammo for cheap.
Old 02-13-2019, 8:17 AM

This is the beginning of the bursting of the bubble. When prices rise quickly to unsustainable levels. Many collectors I know are cashing out now. Very few are buying. The period to cash out is going to be short. All bubbles burst. If anyone can point out one that hasn't I would love to hear about it. Housing, Collector Cars especially 1950s and MoPar, Civil War Firearms, Sportscards, gold, all burst. With that being said the rare and top condition will hold value (graded Mantle rookies, Honus Wagner T206). As more older collectors sell supply will increase putting further pressure on prices. There is not enough demand that being ready willing and able buyers at current prices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 8:42 AM

I'm in my late 20s (I guess this qualifies me as a millennial) and in the short time I've been collecting K98ks (March 2017-present), prices have gone up. My first rifle was a bolt mismatch 1937 42 (Oberndorf) I paid a little under $800 for. Current pricing on bolt mismatch K98ks is sitting at ~$1000+ depending on condition and manufacture rarity, so ~25%. Russian Captured K98ks also seem to be up (don't own one) from $400 when I started to ~$500-600ish, so also ~25%-50%. All matching K98ks seem to be coming down in price, as most were $2000+ rifles are now selling in the $1600 range
Old 02-13-2019, 9:44 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by softscrubb View Post
This has probably been touched on, but when I search Mosin Nagant there is a deluge of rifles for sale.

When exactly did the M91/30 become a $350+ rifle? I just saw a link for round receiver Mosins for $399.99 at a dealer?? $449.99 for a hex receiver?

Open market trying to get $350? This was a $200-250 gun less than a year ago, and that was too high.

The M91/30 is a sub $250 gun, always will be. It would take some serious convincing for me to think otherwise. And yes.. I have owned and shot M91/30, M38 and M44 variants and this helps me base my sub $250 for the M91/30. Maybe $400 on the high end for a M44/M38.
Legitimate PU snipers were $500 - $600 3 years ago and have doubled in price. The price increases across the board only seem significant because the MN was overlooked and undervalued for such a long time. Arbitrary declarations that the MN is not worth the current market price are merely opinions and won't have any bearing on the market. Thankfully you can opt out of this platform if you don't feel comfortable with the prices.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

The MN's have to be sourced, bought in bulk, imported and then retail sold.

Those costs go up -

The international sources of stored MN's are not as accessible as they once were, and the process of importation is a little more complex.

The end-user price will be affected.

The retail stores that stock MN's do so from bulk international importers - not from horse trading with MN aficionados and back page classifieds -
Old 02-13-2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
The MN's have to be sourced, bought in bulk, imported and then retail sold.

Those costs go up -

The international sources of stored MN's are not as accessible as they once were, and the process of importation is a little more complex.

The end-user price will be affected.

The retail stores that stock MN's do so from bulk international importers - not from horse trading with MN aficionados and back page classifieds -
Definitely, when the Mosin Nagants are no longer mass marketed at National chains like Big 5 Sporting Goods...the prices in the private market go up....the law of supply and demand at work here. Those who have the supply can make the demand upon those who want to pay.
Old 02-13-2019, 3:57 PM

Its been awhile, '89 and later, Finn '39, Swede 28-30 and its unreal how much these rifles have jumped up to price wise. This won't go over good but I consider the '91 type Mosins to be a cut above junk for a WWI & WWII military rifle. The Finns were much better. They are gone now, my '98 Mauser types remain. '03 Springfields remain. Not going anywhere, my 4th daughter will set them up for the kids and grand kids if I cross Jordan before the Lord's return occurs.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 02-13-2019 at 3:58 PM.. Reason: miss spelled words
Old 02-13-2019, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

I don't get it. Do you own one or not? If you own one now, why do you seem to dislike the idea of something you own appreciating in value? And you're unimpressed with their quality, so then sell it.

And then take the money & apply it towards a 1903 or Garand. Or do you think they're also overpriced because they were selling for under $500 in the recent past.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 PM

I’m glad I own what I do, and plan to own more mosins too. But only specific models. For now I am looking for a Swede M96. I am in my 20s
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 PM

Also in my 20s; I am happy with my Chinese Type 53,
From what I have seen with these, they are kind of forgotten by the people looking for Mosins. Got it last fall for 200 + a spam can
Old 02-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsocal_dave View Post
The millennial generation is getting into collecting and it is apparent they have moved on from the cowboy guns that our fathers collected and WWII guns are the focus point of the generations collectors. Nagant's being the cheapest entry level collector rifle would inevitably inflate as supply goes down and demand goes up.
Sort of... it has more to do with the fact that it finally hit people that Big-5 no longer has a WEEKLY ad selling them for $89.00 for nearly the past 2 decades.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-14-2019, 3:32 AM

I bought many Mosins in the good old days and still have most of them. I knew one day they would come to this price point. Every other C&R has gained a lot of value, why not the Mosin? Never thought I'd pay $300 for a 91/30 wartime Izzy, but I did a month or so ago. Of course this rifle sat on an antique Tula receiver, so I just had to have it.
Old 02-14-2019, 5:04 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I like all of the different milsurp rifles out there. Most of the well known C&R variants are in the collection. The Mosins still get love though, and one or more goes on very desert shooting trip and gets howls of delight from the massive fireballs and powerful recoil.

It is OK to not like Mosins, but anyone who thinks the platform is somehow beneath them probably also critiques supermodels with pointy elbows and should really just get over themselves
Old 02-14-2019, 5:52 AM

The guys even in their 20s don't really remember the housing bubble and certainly not the dot com bubble and civil war Firearms bubble. The fast straight up price increases is how a bubble forms. Can anyone point to one bubble that didn't burst? All those Milsurps that were in Big 5 are in private collections. What happens when they start hitting the open market? I don't think current prices are sustainable. That's why other bubbles bursted. I think we will find out sooner than later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I like all of the different milsurp rifles out there. Most of the well known C&R variants are in the collection. The Mosins still get love though, and one or more goes on very desert shooting trip and gets howls of delight from the massive fireballs and powerful recoil.

It is OK to not like Mosins, but anyone who thinks the platform is somehow beneath them probably also critiques supermodels with pointy elbows and should really just get over themselves
Ha.. I did not realize you were such the fanboi of Mosins that you spent the time to post twice in the same thread. It's a nice rifle. Like I said, I owned three (M91/30, M44, M38). I shot them all. I also sold them all to make more room in my collection. I have had the pleasure of owning and shooting several other rifles/handguns of the time. Comparatively, I don't think it is anything special and does not rate to have a $400 price tag. You too are entitled to your opinion about the rifle and being easily pleased with a massive fireball. Go forth and enjoy it, get over yourself.
Old 02-14-2019, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is all Sweaty Ben's fault
Old 02-14-2019, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

There is a decent looking Russian m44 at Wild Bills for $399

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr , Uberti SAA .357 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 02-14-2019, 1:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ha.. I did not realize you were such the fanboi of Mosins that you spent the time to post twice in the same thread. It's a nice rifle. Like I said, I owned three (M91/30, M44, M38). I shot them all. I also sold them all to make more room in my collection. I have had the pleasure of owning and shooting several other rifles/handguns of the time. Comparatively, I don't think it is anything special and does not rate to have a $400 price tag. You too are entitled to your opinion about the rifle and being easily pleased with a massive fireball. Go forth and enjoy it, get over yourself.
I do enjoy those fireballs. I enjoy pouty emotional rebuttals even more. It only takes a few seconds to post 2 or 3 replies to a thread, but the entertainment value lasts much longer.

It is sort of assumed that creating a new public thread means the OP is looking for responses from other members. Otherwise you could just write a note to yourself and stick it on your refrigerator. Or perhaps make an entry by candle light in your secret diary. But where is the fun in that?

A public discussion is much more fun. You just can’t expect everyone to agree with you.
Old 02-14-2019, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
^^^??? Only 3...Prolly think SKSs are only 80 dollar guns too. I agree that they've gotten pricey, but that doesn't bother me enough to give Bobby guff. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 02-15-2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I do enjoy those fireballs. I enjoy pouty emotional rebuttals even more. It only takes a few seconds to post 2 or 3 replies to a thread, but the entertainment value lasts much longer.

It is sort of assumed that creating a new public thread means the OP is looking for responses from other members. Otherwise you could just write a note to yourself and stick it on your refrigerator. Or perhaps make an entry by candle light in your secret diary. But where is the fun in that?

A public discussion is much more fun. You just can’t expect everyone to agree with you.

Lol...you’re a goofy dude... you probably write a lot of little notes and stick them around your fridge hoping to one day spout off some ‘pearls of wisdom’. I forgot how impressed and obsessed you are with yourself and your opinions on threads. Rarely do you add anything of value. You must save that for your diary. Enjoy yourself chief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
^^^??? Only 3...Prolly think SKSs are only 80 dollar guns too. I agree that they've gotten pricey, but that doesn't bother me enough to give Bobby guff. PAX

SKSs are at best $79

Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Lol...you’re a goofy dude... you probably write a lot of little notes and stick them around your fridge hoping to one day spout off some ‘pearls of wisdom’. I forgot how impressed and obsessed you are with yourself and your opinions on threads. Rarely do you add anything of value. You must save that for your diary. Enjoy yourself chief.

I like this kid. He's got pluck!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

If you are upset about the price of MNs don't sweat it. Relax. Take some deep breaths. Good.

Now just wait a few more months to buy one and the price should go just a tad higher.

Last edited by hambam105; 02-16-2019 at 12:43 AM..
Old 02-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Default There is only 2 mistakes you can make buying a Mosin Nagant.

1st) Not buying one.
2nd) Selling one.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 AM

The rising prices are the reason why I've been trying to buy as much as I can. I've read people's comments on how the bubble will burst. While I'm sure there will be an influx in supply once older people pass on, we have to consider as well a good chunk of those will never be on the market. There are those that'll stay within family or close group of friends. Unfortunately, some will be destroyed as well because of some anti-gun relatives. There is also the issue of how well these guns were stored. I'll be happy whenever the bubble burst with cash in hand.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuke Komiya View Post
The rising prices are the reason why I've been trying to buy as much as I can. I've read people's comments on how the bubble will burst. While I'm sure there will be an influx in supply once older people pass on, we have to consider as well a good chunk of those will never be on the market. There are those that'll stay within family or close group of friends. Unfortunately, some will be destroyed as well because of some anti-gun relatives. There is also the issue of how well these guns were stored. I'll be happy whenever the bubble burst with cash in hand.
Agree; the death of an older generation doesn't create a sudden supply as much as some might think it does.

People don't suddenly all pass-away at the same time, and there are just as many living collector's willing to buy them up just as fast. You will never have a market that is inundated all at one time like a huge incoming of MilSurp inventory based on people dying off alone.

Add to that:

- Guns get used/ruined out of use.

- Guns get stored improperly and rust/damaged.

- Guns get Bubba'ed and Mosins are ripe for that for some reason.

- Naive/ignorant next of kin "against guns" do in fact turn them in to Law Enforcement for destruction, regardless of rarity, value, historical significance or that they are inanimate objects in the first place.

- Guns get stolen.

- Guns get confiscated and destroyed due to the owner becoming prohibited.

- Foreign governments are destroying guns en masse regardless of their historical value.

- Foreign imports are happening a lot less these past several years due to the UN/UNODA and their restrictions sought on international trade of firearms, and The Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) signed in 2014, encouraging these governments above to destroy any firearms rather than export them to the United States for civilian sale.

- Inevitably, the supply will run dry and usually abruptly when it does, or what remains are rusted, decrepit relics barely identifiable as guns, usually only good for a few parts (because they could never be sold previously, as nobody wanted them). These may never even make it to the public as places like Numrich buy up the supply for selling parts.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 02-16-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
SKSs are at best $79
What YOU can't fathom or don't agree with on pricing, has NO bearing on what the current market is doing, none, zero. Your opinion doesn't matter to people doing the buying.

Barnwood HAD 2 nice Chinese SKS on consignment, one with a solid Weaver side mounted scope, for $600...gone in 2 weeks.

A while back I traded 2 mismatched mongrel dog SKSs (one in an ATI Monty with cover scopeage-about $375 into both) and 2 Big 5 ($80 each) 91/30s for a '41 SVT40, that the seller was askin $1300 at a Lodi show, and not getting any bites. I know the seller paid $350 for the SVT back when they were going for that. I later bought back one of the SKSs for $300.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=951204

I recently picked up 2 SKS barreled actions for $80 bucks each (I know...the whole rifle is only worth that), and have inventory to turn them into shooters. With the Kali average GOING price around $450+, I could make bank. But I'm a hoarder and a sucker for a deal, I can't lose ducat$ wise. They'll be good trade fodder.

I recently bought my first and onliest Garand, a DMC Winchester. I should have bought a M1 when SKSs were $80 bucks, cause it would have been only $200 then instead of $1300 (+800 rounds on strippers & in bandoleers). PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 02-16-2019, 1:01 PM

The Gleam... great post. Thanks for the smart and well thought out post

Old 02-16-2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
What YOU can't fathom or don't agree with on pricing, has NO bearing on what the current market is doing, none, zero. Your opinion doesn't matter to people doing the buying.

Barnwood HAD 2 nice Chinese SKS on consignment, one with a solid Weaver side mounted scope, for $600...gone in 2 weeks.

A while back I traded 2 mismatched mongrel dog SKSs (one in an ATI Monty with cover scopeage-about $375 into both) and 2 Big 5 ($80 each) 91/30s for a '41 SVT40, that the seller was askin $1300 at a Lodi show, and not getting any bites. I know the seller paid $350 for the SVT back when they were going for that. I later bought back one of the SKSs for $300.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=951204

I recently picked up 2 SKS barreled actions for $80 bucks each (I know...the whole rifle is only worth that), and have inventory to turn them into shooters. With the Kali average GOING price around $450+, I could make bank. But I'm a hoarder and a sucker for a deal, I can't lose ducat$ wise. They'll be good trade fodder.

I recently bought my first and onliest Garand, a DMC Winchester. I should have bought a M1 when SKSs were $80 bucks, cause it would have been only $200 then instead of $1300 (+800 rounds on strippers & in bandoleers). PAX
Sarcasm... SKS price was sarcasm... take a deep breath and relax.

I am amazed how some people get shook up and offended when anyone posts about Mosins. Mosins must be the pitbull of milsurps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 1:55 PM

......... and the deep, dank tarn settled slowly over the ruins of the House of Bobby................

LOL

www.swissproductsusa.com
Old 02-17-2019, 3:42 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sarcasm... SKS price was sarcasm... take a deep breath and relax.

I am amazed how some people get shook up and offended when anyone posts about Mosins. Mosins must be the pitbull of milsurps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't think that lobbing a few zingers or having a spirited debate over trivial matters such as this will get anyone shook up or offended. For all of the things that could drive someone toward a Soprano-esque session on the shrink's couch. this isn't one of them.
Old 02-17-2019, 3:43 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
......... and the deep, dank tarn settled slowly over the ruins of the House of Bobby................

LOL
Poe was a pretty twisted dude.
Old 02-17-2019, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hell.. I would bust someone up about their chromed parade rifles and they blocked me. Some folks feelings are a bit more thin the others.

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr , Uberti SAA .357 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671