Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-27-2013, 7:04 AM
Banned

Default Liability insurance coverage???

Our homeowners insurance is up for renewal and they want a significant rate increase. Since I'm going to shop around for rates I'm wondering if any of you have a HO policy carrier that will sell a rider or supplement for personal liability that includes lawful, intentional acts???

We use Geico for most everything else and neither them, or our existing HO carrier offer such a thing. Their policy documents specifically exclude coverage for liability if the homeowner commited an intentional act. It makes no distinction whether the act was lawful, in self defense, etc.

I've heard that State Farm may offer such a policy, but don't know for sure.

I never trust what sales people tell me and want to read the actual policy itself.

Right now I just have USCCA and NRA liability coverage, and while it is good, I'd prefer to have more, particularly since my wife now carries as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 4:56 AM

USCCA and NRA liability coverages won't cover a bad shoot, and I think your term "Intentional Act" would not be covered by anyone.
Old 09-28-2013, 7:37 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Allied gives back coverage for self defense and is silent on the "method" there of.

Their umbrella is the same and does not exclude punitive damages. (Won't help in CA but may help in other states.)

You are wise to read the policy. You are also on the right track with regard to the language.

I've yet to see anything cover criminal though. A couple stand alone products reimburse limited legal costs after acquittal, but that's the best I've seen.

Again, reading the form is critical.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:05 PM

And they want to mandate liability coverage for gun owners...

If the OP is having such a problem finding coverage for if he has to defend himself, can you imagine them mandating it?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
And they want to mandate liability coverage for gun owners...

If the OP is having such a problem finding coverage for if he has to defend himself, can you imagine them mandating it?
If it is mandated, insurers will be forced to offer something or leave the state. Anything forced on them will be limited. Auto responsibility for example, requires only $15,000 coverage per person. That won't cover much these days.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Banned

I believe my umbrella policy with State Farm covers both intentional and unintentional acts. As long as they are lawful.

Not sure if you can get it as homeowners insurance. You can get it as an Umbrella liability policy.
Old 09-28-2013, 1:33 PM

As said, look at an umbrella policy. It would also have the high $ value I think you are looking for.
Old 09-28-2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
If it is mandated, insurers will be forced to offer something or leave the state. Anything forced on them will be limited. Auto responsibility for example, requires only $15,000 coverage per person. That won't cover much these days.
"Leave the state" doesn't work when the feds were the ones asking about it.
Old 09-28-2013, 7:55 PM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
"Leave the state" doesn't work when the feds were the ones asking about it.
The Feds have no control over property and casualty insurance. It's regulated by the states.

If CA says a homeowners insurance company must cover self defense, insurance companies have 2 choices. Cover it, or cease offering homeowners insurance in CA.