Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

bangers scare me a lot less than right wingers..

Angeles is a very tightly controlled range. Proceed with no fear.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIT9K View Post
So I can safely assume that the middle aged folks who pulled up to the ASR in a brand new Range Rover with 3 different NRA tags and donned in pseudo military outfits are right-wing nutjobs right?
Yep.

"Trust, but verify"
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I do not have kids, but I generally see some there. Out of the other ranges I have been to, ASR is probably the most safe. Also, if you still do not feel comfortable, you can get a private range.
Old 05-09-2011, 3:26 PM

Default Re: Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
I keep hearing stories of a lot of idiots shooting at this range, and I am kind of afraid to take my 13 year old, but I would really love to take him.

Anyone take their kids and are you pretty confident in their safety?

Also anyone going to Angeles tomorrow? (5/7)
Angeles is an excellent range - it has separate main ranges for longarms and handguns, and both of those ranges have steel and paper targets. The steel on the longarm (rifle) side goes out to 600 yards, and the steel on the handgun side goes out to 100 yards.

As far as safety goes - there ARE A LOT OF IDIOTS AT ASR, so you have to keep an eye out at all times. Young and old, some people just don't know how to handle firearms safely. The best thing to do is go during the week, as there are less people there (and therefore less idiots by percentage).

There have been several posters in this thread that have stated that there are lots of range officers to watch everyone. This is true, but one of ASR's most experienced and senior range officers - Kevin, passed away several months ago. That leaves "Captain Ed" and a few other good range officers to watch the lines and they aren't always there. Most of the newer "kids" stand around talking to each other when they should be stationed along the line watching what is going-on. People frequently handle guns and other stuff on the benches, load at the rear benches (big no-no), and "sweeping" you, ect. and you have to go tell the "kids" to watch people. WTF - do your job! It seems as if the younger range guys don't want to say anything to the offenders'. I've left ASR on several occasions because I didn't want to take the chance of becoming a statistic.

My advise is to go during the weekdays (if possible) and set-up at the west end of whichever range you are going to shoot at (rifle or handgun) so that you can observe the shooters around you more easily (its' easier to watch everyone when they're in front of you).

If I go, I usually go on Mondays, but Wednesdays or Fridays on occcasion. Rarely on the weekends for the reasons mentioned above. Stay safe.

Keith
Old 05-09-2011, 4:03 PM

Sigh Maybe if the RSO's would stop stealing my brass they would do a better job. Personally I find that the pistol range area the most dangerous parts at ASR. I've seen guys trying to show off to their bimbo gf's point hanguns close to me when they turn back to talk to their man to some guys who def know there way around a gun yet have misfires. The Rifle range is pretty solid though. Still I enjoy ASR, just be safe, you can't ever assume that the RSO's are catching everything.
Old 05-09-2011, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
Wow...

Make bigotted comments much?!?

WTF does a "banger" look like and why would you assume they are unsafe?!?
banger.....someone with 2 diff color bandannas folded into one and hanging out the back pocket. times 3. I dont assume they are unsafe. I KNOW they are unsafe. I dont consider holding a pistol semi-sideways one handed is safe.

THAT is a banger.thanks for calling me a racist. by the way..dont ASSUME I am racist.
Old 05-12-2011, 9:52 AM

Respect the RO's and it's one of the funnest places to shoot. Ive been there a few times, always weekends and there's always cool people letting others try there guns. Ive shot more guns from other people there then anywhere else. I would def go without fear, but early is better on weekends. It can fill up fast.
Old 05-12-2011, 5:52 PM

I live 10 minutes from Angeles, so that's the only range I've been to. I only go on weekdays, barely anybody is there. I took my sister last Tuesday to shoot my AR, there was only 3 people on the rifle side. When I went out to put my target, the fellow shooter who was checking his targets help me set my target up. I recommend going on weekedays, around 4:30 it was just my sister, another shooter and I shooting. So the RO asked if we wanted a cease fire, we said no and just had a blast shooting for another hour till they closed.
If you go on a Wednesday it's a discounted rate after 4pm.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1 View Post
yeah the RO's there are really anal, I was in the pistol side yesterday and saw a RO tell some old asian guy on the rifle side not to take pictures I like the strictness which keeps the range pretty safe. But should have let that guy take pictures
Wonder if the RO had a problem with the guy's camera or the fact that he was Old and Asian?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ASR's policy on picture-taking, IINM, is you can take pics of you and your buddies, no problem. It's when you start taking pictures of everyone and anyone that they don't like. No one knows where those pics will be posted or why, so they just don't allow it at all.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIT9K View Post
So I can safely assume that the middle aged folks who pulled up to the ASR in a brand new Range Rover with 3 different NRA tags and donned in pseudo military outfits are right-wing nutjobs right?
There better not be anyone defacing their range rover with 3 NRA tags... just sayin...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
seen many people that look like bangers at angeles. dosent seem too safe.
Yea, I saw those guys too... they were pretty unsafe.