Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-18-2013, 4:56 PM

Default 17HM2

Does anyone have experience with the 17 hm2? I have a savage mark 2 in 17 hm2 that I bought years ago but have never fired. I also have a savage mark 2 22 LR so I need to decide if I want to sell the 17 hm2.

I don't see the 17 hm2 to be any more accurate then the 22 LR since it is so light and the wind can easily change its point of impact.

So basically I need to decide whether to keep it and get some optics for it or sell it.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-18-2013, 7:33 PM

Disregard, I just decided to sell it.

Old 05-18-2013, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

sell it. the 17 hm2 will die on the vine as it is just not that popular. Now if it was a HMR then I would say keep it. Could have it rechambered and new mags for HMR.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:59 AM

17 hm2 is a niche round...it's good for varminting and conversions of 10/22 rugers...not a great plinking around. If you got enough ammo...fun as heck. Will look for more of that ammo...
Old 05-19-2013, 9:39 AM

The speed it sold at is a measure of its popularity! I have a couple of them. Had I seen this faster Id have bought yours too. As a squirrel gun they are hard to beat. They are 2/3 the performance of the 17HMR at 1/3 the price per shot! I have a few cases of ammo put aside for when ammo is hard to find, So that's not an issue. As far as accuracy issues, Mine are far more accurate than I ever will be! The 17M2 is much faster and has a much flatter trajectory, this makes it a much easier round to shoot ground squirrels with. with out any sight changes I can shoot out to 125 yards and still be minuet of squirrel!
The post above is right its a niche round but as a squirrel round its hard to beat! DR
Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 AM

I have just one and it is the most accurate rimfire I have. At the same time I almost never shoot it because of the ammo cost. Not sure how much longer it will be around.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM

I just made a couple of videos of the .17 Hm2 rifles I own:

A 10/22 conversion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWkgDan1Aag

and a full Volquartsen Superlite (the pricy one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6Z...PZ31uw&index=3

It might have other cool videos some people like as it has a decent amount of airguns if you guys are interested.

BTW, yes if I take my time and wait for the ideal outdoor conditions, it would be much more accurate...the Superlite had a scope that's is parallaxed better at further distances and would shoot somewhat similar at longer distance. Great squirrel getter..

Both rifles see Squirrel duty, the Volquartsen rifle does most of the duty as the conversion was built and still sorting out the scope for it.

Because of how much I've invested to these rifles..I'm pretty committed to them...but if you only have a few rounds and a cheaper rifle..it's best to say, it will be sold way before other guns in your collection.

Last edited by Varmintgetter; 05-19-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Register View Post
I have just one and it is the most accurate rimfire I have. At the same time I almost never shoot it because of the ammo cost. Not sure how much longer it will be around.
Ammo cost? I think with it's current state..it might be cheaper than .22lr! I recall buying a bunch of hm2 rounds for $3/box? I ended up stocking up on those.
Old 05-19-2013, 1:54 PM

thanks for the info guys, I have listed it for sale. If it doesn't sell at my price I will force myself to keep it :-)

Old 05-19-2013, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just waiting for hornady and cci to get off their azz's and load the 17hm2's with other bullets besides the explosive poly tips. The fmj and the gamepoint bullets from the Hmr can be also used for the hm2, but I dunno what's the deal with the ammo manufacturer. They just want to keep that boolit line in the hmr so that guys like me will have to just cough up the xtra money to get an Hmr rifle and hmr ammo.....

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 05-19-2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintgetter View Post
Ammo cost? I think with it's current state..it might be cheaper than .22lr! I recall buying a bunch of hm2 rounds for $3/box? I ended up stocking up on those.
I will be happy to buy as much as you are selling for $3 per box. PM me the meeting time and place.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM

lots of people do..though I seem to be going through the ammo pretty ok...lots of squirrels to shoot this year
Old 05-20-2013, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
The speed it sold at is a measure of its popularity! I have a couple of them. Had I seen this faster Id have bought yours too. As a squirrel gun they are hard to beat. They are 2/3 the performance of the 17HMR at 1/3 the price per shot! I have a few cases of ammo put aside for when ammo is hard to find, So that's not an issue. As far as accuracy issues, Mine are far more accurate than I ever will be! The 17M2 is much faster and has a much flatter trajectory, this makes it a much easier round to shoot ground squirrels with. with out any sight changes I can shoot out to 125 yards and still be minuet of squirrel!
The post above is right its a niche round but as a squirrel round its hard to beat! DR
As far as setting cases aside, you should check your ammo. I have read a few threads on 17HM2 ammo having split necks while in storage. The best guess on the issue, has to do with necks not being annealed after case forming and then necks splitting due to tension from bullet. You can read more info on rimfirecentral forums.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
As far as setting cases aside, you should check your ammo. I have read a few threads on 17HM2 ammo having split necks while in storage. The best guess on the issue, has to do with necks not being annealed after case forming and then necks splitting due to tension from bullet. You can read more info on rimfirecentral forums.
I have my Hornady ammo stored in a zip-loc and none of them seem to be split, I have only opened one box of the Remington and they are good to go as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:13 PM

If people need hm2 ammo..and in the SF bay area, today I was a Reed's indoor range and they have a good number of hm2 ammo of cci, and hornday variety that is going close to $9 box......just wanted to let you guys know.
Old 05-21-2013, 6:55 PM

I have two 17m2's and at least a 1/2 dozen .22lr's. Haven't fired any of my 22's since buying the 17m2's..... 6 or 7 years. I do fear the cartridge may die someday, but I'm overstocked right now.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 PM

I agree with dangerranger on his account.
My other observation is with HMR I tend to need ear plugs if I am going to fire alot.The HM2 is less in the noise dept.Like others I buy and keep up with stocking the rounds
I love mine when cottontail rabbits is open.
I have not had any split cases,but am glad it has been brought to our attention if it is a problem.
That whole deal with the Remington 597 17HMRs blowing to crap a few years back,makes me wonder about that ammo.I had seen Hornady come out with some kind of a disclaimer at the time.I had a good friend really get hurt when the bottom of the gun blew out.Remington ate the cost of the gun with a voucher for a new type of rifle,but the ammo manuf was never heard from.
Old 05-22-2013, 7:29 PM

I had to re-do my Hm2 conversion today..the barrel I noticed with the cantilever was twisted so it was put on wrong. Additionally, I didn't care for a 6-24x scope with Weaver rings...just didn't feel confident. Additionally it was dirty (MUST keep the chamber in semi-auto hm2 clean or it can be a big problem). So I reset the barrel, cleaned the rifle and mounted a Simmons 4.5-14 ATV scope with Steel rings...this work-horse now seems a bit more presentable. The Stock is the McMillan Thumbhole stock. I also retensioned the rear screw for the cantilever mount. I really hope with all the redone it will shoot better as I have some squirrels to shoot

Last edited by Varmintgetter; 05-22-2013 at 7:32 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 7:36 PM

Your guys are making me want to keep the rifle, I want to narrow down my calibers; since I already have a Marlin 917VS in 17HMR I decided the Savage had to go.

How much effect does the wind have on this round compared to a .22LR?
Old 05-22-2013, 8:25 PM

For me: about 20% more than an hmr rifle....Your decision is sound. Though I often found out my friends holds lots of regrets for not keeping it.. Reason? they never REALLY tried that round out.
Old 05-23-2013, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintgetter View Post
I had to re-do my Hm2 conversion today..the barrel I noticed with the cantilever was twisted so it was put on wrong. Additionally, I didn't care for a 6-24x scope with Weaver rings...just didn't feel confident. Additionally it was dirty (MUST keep the chamber in semi-auto hm2 clean or it can be a big problem). So I reset the barrel, cleaned the rifle and mounted a Simmons 4.5-14 ATV scope with Steel rings...this work-horse now seems a bit more presentable. The Stock is the McMillan Thumbhole stock. I also retensioned the rear screw for the cantilever mount. I really hope with all the redone it will shoot better as I have some squirrels to shoot

Nice looking vermin/tin can/fruit/anything SLayer there

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 05-23-2013, 3:07 PM

Thanks! I get it re-sighted in tomorrow
Old 05-23-2013, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Another plus for the Mach II, is you can use .17 Aguila in the same chamber. The Aguila uses a target style bullet, much like a miniature Match King.

My Savage and TC Contender are among my most accurate, and first grabbed guns for squirrels.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 05-23-2013, 6:53 PM

Thompson G2 Contender and 93 Savage, both 17m2's. Weaver V16's, both very accurate, but moreso the TC.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Does anyone else here shoot Semi-Auto Hm2 besides me?