Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

View Poll Results: What precious metal do you prefer?
Silver 56 49.12%
Gold 23 20.18%
Platinum 2 1.75%
Bacon 33 28.95%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2018, 7:39 PM

Junk silver for SHTF.

Gold for store of wealth, I stack maple leafs.

And what happens when the some ones want to collect on the 23T our swamp creatures have us in debt.

Started stacking back at $750 on the gold but never looked at it as an investment. I is insurance for when they come after the "prettier than money in the bank".

Best
caveman
Old 03-23-2018, 8:28 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

You know there's a thread with about a billion posts about this, right?

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=745048

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 03-23-2018, 9:20 PM

The only way i got into gold was by mining it.

My last job was as superintendent of a hard rock gold mine in northern calif.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=745048
Yeah, diluted into nonsense by one of the weirdest weirdos on CGN.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Yeah if you want to sort through a billion posts looking for a simple majority opinion of one particular area of the subject. I think it's a pretty straightforward question and poll, was trying to keep it a little more focused that the 4,254 tangents the other thread goes off on.
Old 03-26-2018, 4:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Why not both AG AND AU?
Old 03-26-2018, 4:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

I like - and have - both, but silver is terribly UNDERVALUED right now, so I'M buying silver, and would recommend others to do the same.

Junk (circulated) silver coins can be had at any coin shop, and many pawn shops. Develop a good relationship with the staff/owners, and you might even catch a further break on pricing.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Got news for you buddy, its not going back to 2011 price levels.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...A1C?li=BBnb7Kx
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
Got news for you buddy, its not going back to 2011 price levels.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...A1C?li=BBnb7Kx
Snce $15-$16 is the new $5 /ozt silver, per every chart I can reference, 3x the price paid mght be a good savings account, although that isn't much appreciation... and the last spike in about '79-'80 appears to be the same.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I'm not a huge fan of precious metals, after 55 years of life I still don't understand why anyone needs them in a SHTF scenario. That being said, there are enough people out there that sincerely feel it should be part of the plan and even your investment portfolio. For you folks that feel PM's are wise to own, how much percentage do you feel is prudent because I hear 10% and up. Do you prefer silver or gold (or platinum for that matter)? I've dabbled a bit in silver bullion, but mostly for fun.
A long time ago I bought some gold as something to mess around with. I ended up buying 10 - 1 oz bars at about $200 each. Gold went up a lot in the following couple of years and I ended up selling them for $750 each. Made a large profit in 24-30 months. I figured I would wait for gold to come back down and try to replicate my savvy move. It never came back down, and I've never bought any more.
Old 03-28-2018, 1:54 PM

The article link I posted above talked about gold vs silver. If you read it, you will see that the market doesn't value silver as a bullion or currency, but rather as an industrial metal used in manufacturing.

You should strongly consider that point if you are buying precious metals as an investment or as a hedge.

Most people only buy silver because its affordable and they can buy a lot of it, and they feel good looking at all those bars and coins in their safe instead of just a few gold coins.
Old 04-02-2018, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

21,000,000,000,000 in debt and climbing is not sustainable. I was an *** and sold off my silver when I had unexpected bills 4 years ago. I am buying 10 silver eagles a month, with an occasional month of me buying 20. I have no grand visions of making a fortune when FIAT currency fails. I just want a few hundred coins to barter if needed. I would buy emergency food too. I have been buying a case at the local Mormon food distribution center about once every two months too. Nothing extreme, just adding a little here and a little there over time.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
21,000,000,000,000 in debt and climbing is not sustainable. I was an *** and sold off my silver when I had unexpected bills 4 years ago. I am buying 10 silver eagles a month, with an occasional month of me buying 20. I have no grand visions of making a fortune when FIAT currency fails. I just want a few hundred coins to barter if needed. I would buy emergency food too. I have been buying a case at the local Mormon food distribution center about once every two months too. Nothing extreme, just adding a little here and a little there over time.
Instead of buying 10 silver eagles a month, save your money and buy gold instead. As I mentioned above, and someone else did also, silver is harder to move, and people are far less interested in it. Since it isn't considered bullion or currency anymore, its value for conversion to cash, barter, or trade is severely diminished.
Old 04-17-2018, 6:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
As I mentioned above, and someone else did also, silver is harder to move, and people are far less interested in it. Since it isn't considered bullion or currency anymore, its value for conversion to cash, barter, or trade is severely diminished.
I can walk into the local pawn shop this morning and get $1 over spot for my BU silver eagles. Cash, no questions asked. I would think most stackers have a similar outlet. I'm not sure how it could be any easier to move than that... Any silver I've seen for sale at spot on the marketplace here at CalGuns gets snapped up before I can even PM the seller.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

A reloading press.

More valuable than either of those mentioned, come the first of next year...
Old 04-19-2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I can walk into the local pawn shop this morning and get $1 over spot for my BU silver eagles. Cash, no questions asked. I would think most stackers have a similar outlet. I'm not sure how it could be any easier to move than that... Any silver I've seen for sale at spot on the marketplace here at CalGuns gets snapped up before I can even PM the seller.
Not me. The coin shops and pawn shops in my area will NEVER pay over over spot, and will usually want to pay the melt value.

Another couple of places I tried to unload 100 oz of silver at wouldn't even take it at all, as they said they were already over inventoried on silver.
Old 04-19-2018, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

BU Silver Eagles are much easier to move than bar silver...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-19-2018, 4:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Bar/round silver sells easily at spot on Craigslist guys. This about it, where can you BUY silver at spot? You pretty much can't, so it sells pretty quick on CL and on marketplaces like here. Also, although I am not a Facebook user I hear there are many silver trading groups on there as well.

Quote:
Not me. The coin shops and pawn shops in my area will NEVER pay over over spot...
They usually will for BU Eagles. Any other silver he wants to give me spot less 50 cents to a dollar.
Old 04-20-2018, 9:54 AM

Anybody that deals in bullion has likely never lived in a rough area or dealt with rough people. Go ahead & walk into that shady pawn shop with a bar or two & see if you live long enough to make it home. And if you make it home, better make darned sure you weren't followed. And if you weren't followed, better make sure you never visit the same shop twice. Somebody will be waiting there.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Anybody that deals in bullion has likely never lived in a rough area or dealt with rough people. Go ahead & walk into that shady pawn shop with a bar or two & see if you live long enough to make it home. And if you make it home, better make darned sure you weren't followed. And if you weren't followed, better make sure you never visit the same shop twice. Somebody will be waiting there.
I'd move if that were the case... I didn't own anything of value when living in Elsinore, but moved away to a better area when I could afford to buy nicer things.

Always carry a blade, as there are too many violent Democrats these days... Living in these areas with a false sense of entitlement, because they were told they are special, yet never realize their potential, as the TV tells them they are victims.
Old 04-20-2018, 5:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Ha ha yeah ok. I'm pretty sure I can make it home with a few hundred bucks in my pocket after visiting the pawn shop in downtown Victorville seeing as I've done it dozens of times for various reasons. The guy is my local gun dealer as well as me being his HVAC guy and all we've ever dealt in is guns, silver, and cash.
Old 04-20-2018, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Gold can be a fun and safe exercise in buy low / sell high. Never going to crash like some stocks. And hard for the gov to get an income tax cut out of cash sales <$10K. My tax returns for last year had 50 pages of reporting for capital gains on stock sales vs my Au sales zero pages.

Old 04-20-2018, 8:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Gold can be a fun and safe exercise in buy low / sell high.
I haven't been in the game long enough to experience it... You certainly can't play it like a day trader like I was doing with Ford stock in 2009, at least not with physical PM's. Maybe that's a good thing, we'll see. So far there's not much of a gambler's rush that's for sure but it's easy to "set it and forget it" and I'm not losing sleep or hair over it.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Bar/round silver sells easily at spot on Craigslist guys. This about it, where can you BUY silver at spot? You pretty much can't, so it sells pretty quick on CL and on marketplaces like here. Also, although I am not a Facebook user I hear there are many silver trading groups on there as well.

They usually will for BU Eagles. Any other silver he wants to give me spot less 50 cents to a dollar.
I went to a few places, and tried to sell my eagles over spot. None would do it, and said to try selling it on ebay. Obviously that was a no-go, so I finally gave up and ended up selling off all my silver at what I could get for it. I didn't explore craigslist or facebook.

I now only collect gold, as there is no question about value.
Old 04-28-2018, 5:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Diversity is key. I keep enough reserve in the bank to live life normally for 1 year. Fully funded my child's UTMA account and first house fund. 25% of gross always goes to 401k, ROTH, mutual funds and investment account. 10% net goes to PMs.

All income from rental properties goes into an account and when there is enough for a down payment a new one is purchased.

Property, stocks, bonds, gold, silver, guns and ammo.
FWIW read this book; maybe re-think allowing so much of your wealth to be controlled by third parties:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 04-28-2018, 6:06 PM

Cartridges, alcohol (too heavy for what it's value is), and reloading components.

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nation’s Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019
Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 PM

I have a little bit of everything; I recently discovered the constitutional silver (commonly called the 90% silver) coins; IE 1964 and older halves, quarters and dimes.

It is usually the cheapest over spot if you can get it and will always have the value of the coins. It's hard currency if it has to be, but is also silver.

Yes...I do gold as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Gold (and to some extent) silver are the only historical mediums of exchange and transportable wealth. All paper (fiat) money is only as good as the country that issues it. Countries can and have devaluate their currencies as they wish. The US doesn’t openly devaluate the dollar, but by printing more dollars it essentially dilutes the dollar. The dollar is also kept stable by it status being the world currency. But this can change. Prior to WW2 the Pound Sterling was the was the worlds currencies. How ever when BG no longer had enough silver reserves to back the pound, the US dollar backed by gold replaced it. When Nixon took the dollar off the gold standard, it still remained the worlds currency back by the US GNP. China is now amassing large quantities of gold. If they ever announce the Yuan is backed by gold, the dollar is in for a tough time. Investing in Gold or Silver requires you’re willing to endure volatility.