Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-10-2014, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default LITE Build (Continued)

Anyone that was following my build in January knows that I added a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber THM barrel to the build.

Since then, I discovered that Volquartsen released an Ultralite version of their Carbon THM barrel, which weighs an amazingly light 15oz. Yes, stainless, and yes, less than a single pound. In my opinion, that makes the Ultralite version the benchmark in light-weight, stainless barrels. Needless to say, I sold the Carbon THM barrel, and purchased the Ultralite version.

Old 02-10-2014, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

That said, my build, which wasn't complete, starts over, so here's a quick recap.

Started off with a completely stripped receiver, which I had stripped of the factory finish, bead blasted with glass media, and Cerakoted in Graphite Black by Gerwayne at San Diego Cerakote, a certified applicator.

The finish is thin, completely uniform, and void of any surface imperfections.

6.1oz and counting.
Old 02-10-2014, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Next, in the interest of maintaining a light build, I purchased an Aimpoint H-1 in two minutes of angle, which weighs 2.96oz (battery included).

Instead of using the included Aimpoint weaver mount, which would require using an intrusive receiver-mounted rail, I purchased a mount from Aimpoint that is specific to the 10/22 receiver, and weighs .75oz (hardware included). At $54, the Aimpount mount is somewhat expensive, but completely necessary in eliminating the need for a heavier mounting system.

Shown in Graphite Black Cerakote:

Installed, the mount appears to be completely integral to the receiver:

Installed, the Aimpoint H-1 mounts very close to the bore:

9.81oz and counting.
Old 02-10-2014, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Added my name to the list at Rimfire Central for the Brownells Receiver Drilling Jig.

Drilled 1/4", countersunk at 45 degress with a 1/2" countersink, broke the interior edges, and deburred with a rubber polishing tip.

Thanks to John (jcrowleyiv) at RFC:

Old 02-10-2014, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Ordered a set of Kidd receiver pins, which as most know, requires countersinking the factory holes.

As advertised, once installed, the receiver and trigger guard / fire control group feel like a solid, singular unit, completely free of slop or play.

For anyone wondering about the red anodized screws, one of the receiver pins seemed to have a slightly larger diameter than the other, and fit the rear receiver hole really tight, so I used a few red anodized screws I had in the tool box to identify the oversized receiver pin as the one that needs to be used in the front hole.
Old 02-10-2014, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

A while back, I noticed that Kidd was using a factory polymer guard with an integral, pinned ejector. Not advertised or offered as a stand-alone part on the website, but Kidd agreed to sell me the guard with the pinned ejector. One less moving part in the trigger assembly, and one less part that rattles and flops around.

For anyone interested in numbers, the factory guard weighs 1.75oz. A stripped Volquartsen guard weighs 4oz, as do most of the aluminum aftermarket offerings, including Kidd.

Onward, from experience, I know that the Volquartsen trigger kit is feels like nothing more than a slight upgrade from the factory assembly. That said, the trigger guard will be assembled with Kidd internals, which I still haven't ordered, but will soon.

Old 02-10-2014, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

I will post an update tomorrow after I fit the receiver to the barrel. I also ordered a few more parts, so I will have updates later this week as well.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I placed the barrel in an adjustable, articulating vice, set a level in the barrels dovetail, adjusted the vice until the dovetail was completely level, and clamped down the vice. Next, I heated the receiver for ten minutes at 200 degrees, and slip-fit the receiver to the barrel, placed another leveler on the receiver, and matched it to the level on the dovetail, aligning the extractor.

Level on dovetail:

Level on receiver:

1.55lbs and counting.
Old 02-11-2014, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

I like your build! Big .22 rifle fan! That jig has been all over the US & possibly at my house too. One of them has. The fixed ejector is a must to me, good work!
Old 02-11-2014, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kudos. I was far beyond excited to get the trigger guard with the fixed ejector. Haven't ordered a Kidd single-stage kit yet, but I have a factory kit around here somewhere.

I just ordered a Kidd bolt and charging assembly, which should be here in the next few days.
Old 02-13-2014, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Just received a Kidd Bolt, Bolt Buffer and Cocking Assembly.

The bolt is itself weighs about a half ounce more than the factory bolt. Not sure if the Cerakote created a dimensional issue within the receiver, but I had to take a file and relieve the end of the ejection port that captures the bolt in the receiver so that the bolt would slip in and out. Prior to this, the bolt was difficult to seat, and equally difficult to remove. I had to pry it back out.

I don't have a factory bolt to compare to, but despite the casting anomolies within the receiver, it cycles very smoothly within the action.

2.08lbs and counting.
Old 02-13-2014, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

This thing looks so mean. I love everything about it, except the price I'm sure,
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Just received a Gunsmither Barrel Block. Fortunately, no modification to the barrel was needed. The part of the barrel that would normally require filing was perfectly flat. Instead of pulling the barrel down and causing droop, the Gunsmither pushes and supports the barrel, and no more worries about over-torqueing the screws. According to my feeler gauge, there's a .004" gap between the dovetail and the Barrel Block, so I probably could have voided use of the set screw, but used it anyway.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
I like your build! Big .22 rifle fan! That jig has been all over the US & possibly at my house too. One of them has. The fixed ejector is a must to me, good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
This thing looks so mean. I love everything about it, except the price I'm sure,
Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Completely gave up the search for a light-weight stock. On average, every aftermarket stock I inquired about weighed 2lbs and above, which included Hogue, Fajen, Boyd, Bell and Carlson, etc. Even the ridiculously priced McMillan Sporter stock weighed 2lbs.

That said, I decided to work with a factory stock, which weighs 1.31lbs, and the best part is, I managed to source one in Multicam, which is somewhat hard to come by as a stand-alone part. This is my first time owning anything in Multicam, and the pattern is definitely growing on me.

On a side note, the Multicam is obviously hydro-dipped. I deliberately attempted to scratch, mar and gouge the finish without success, and is seems very durable. From the backpack to my hand, then back to the backpack, it should hold-up well.

Anyway, I obviously need to open the barrel channel to accommodate a .920" barrel, which I might do later today, or in the next day or two.

The black and carbon fiber contrast well with the Multicam:

Old 08-15-2015, 1:05 AM

Did you ever finish this?

The weight I get on the McMillan Sporter is 1# 11 oz BTW.
Old 08-15-2015, 1:45 AM

I want to know if he finished, but I am more interested to know how much he has in it and how it shoots.
Old 08-15-2015, 7:30 PM

It's cute. How does it shoot?
Old 08-15-2015, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Im drooling. Very nice build. Please your killing me! wheres the rest?