Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd counsel temperance and remaining focused on the road ahead.
Old 04-04-2011, 4:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
The more I think about this, the madder I get. If they think that interacting with society is safe enough soas I don't need to be armed; then by golly the deputies have no legitimate excuse to be armed either. They even have a direct radio link to dispatch should they need backup in a self defense situation.

I am steamed & it isn't getting any better as time goes by.

You have learned an important lesson. You know where you stand with firearms and self defense in SLO county. And since Parkinson won the election it will be business as usual. Pretty maddening when somebody from Kern county can get a CCW for self defense and walk around legally in SLO county. But just because you live here, the Sheriff will not issue you a CCW for self defense.
Old 04-04-2011, 6:59 AM
Banned

After browsing through the thread quickly, it seems like you knew before you applied you had a very likely chance of being denied; and so, it shouldn't surprise you that you got denied.

Just hold tight, decades of reinforcement that "I am the Law" is not a particularly quick or easy process to undo, ESPECIALLY not when it's Statewide in the upper echelons of enforcement. I know there hasn't been much CGF activity in 'your' county lately but rest assured that when the timing's right, you'll get to be part of an epic process in reestablishing exercise of a fundamental right, if you're willing to be patient and work with The Right People who are clearly effective at this game.

Quote:
The more I think about this, the madder I get. If they think that interacting with society is safe enough soas I don't need to be armed; then by golly the deputies have no legitimate excuse to be armed either. They even have a direct radio link to dispatch should they need backup in a self defense situation.

I am steamed & it isn't getting any better as time goes by.

Old 04-04-2011, 7:12 AM

What you can do is UOC although it is not the best option after being denied CCW it really is the only other option and since you have applied for a CCW any hassle that might come your way from the law (ergo... public encounters or self defense) would be justified even more since you were denied.

I know most don't like the idea of UOC but when seconds count and police being minutes away at least you have access to a weapon sooner then the police would be there to help.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
I'd counsel temperance and remaining focused on the road ahead.
Thank you for the sage advice Brandon. I am much calmer today and more contemplative. I do think that I will apply to my local PD, if nothing else, so that I know that I have exhausted all resources at my disposal to reach my goal.

....breathes deeply....

Last edited by choprzrul; 04-05-2011 at 2:23 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 1:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think this is an excellent and reasoned path forward.

-Brandon

Quote:
Thank you for the sage advice Brandon. I am much calmer today and more contemplative. I do think that I will apply to my local PD, if nothing else, so that I know that I have exhausted all resources at my disposal to reach my goal.

....breathes deeply....

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:41 AM

Here is a chance to talk with our sheriff. It would be nice if the article stated the date for each location, but it does not. Perhaps they are still figuring out those details.

From the Tribune: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/04...n-to-hold.html

"San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson will hold ten town hall events in May and June to give local residents an opportunity to meet him and share ideas and concerns.
All the events will run from 6 to 7:30 p.m.

They will be:
Tuesday: Nipomo High School;
Old Mission San Miguel Parish Center;
Cayucos Veterans Hall;
South County Regional Center in Arroyo Grande
Boys and Girls Club of South San Luis Obispo County in Oceano;
Templeton Community Services District board room;
Heritage Ranch senior center;
Shandon Elementary School;
Sunnyside Elementary School in Los Osos;
Rabobank in Cambria."
Old 05-03-2011, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

....breathes deeply....

My FedEx delivery person is going to ask the cost for a cover letter by Michael and Associates to use when he applies for his CCW in SB County. He lives in Santa Maria. If they will do it, that might be worth a try?

http://michellawyers.com/practice-ar...rms-law-group/
Old 06-01-2011, 9:16 PM

Any updates on progress?
Old 06-06-2011, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robidouxs View Post
Any updates on progress?
Check you PMs and read This thread. Parkinson Town Hall Meeting 6/7 in Los Osos. Be there and make your voice heard.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Can us poor SLO souls get a morsel of good news? Is the newly enlightened Monterey Sheriff going to spread the good news south to Sheriff Parkinson? Will the slapping that Ventura county took in the courts cause Parkinson to sit up and take notice? Should I send in yet another application just to check to see if they have moved any on their illegal requirements?

Toss me some crumbs, I need something to nibble on.....

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 AM

I'm with you brother. I'm having to give up my Colorado CCW (due to it only being valid as a resident of the state. I still have my primary house there, but don't want to complicate things.) I'm living in Utah for a job right now where I'll be snagging their non-resident CCW permit here shortly and then moving to be with the wife and in kids in SLO (she lives there now with the kiddos for her job while I am here in Utah for my job for now.) I'm nervous as hell giving up my comfort package on my hip knowing the history with SLO. I need some good news so I can feel better about moving to that damn state I had no intentions of ever doing but family comes first.

Anything? Bueller?

-E
Old 08-15-2011, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

I'll tell you what, if you have to move to CA then SLO is the place to be. If I had to be somewhere in CA without a LTC, SLO is it. Move, be happy, enjoy the beautiful central coast, be patient, and within two years you will have a LTC thanks to the efforts of the CGF and other smart lawyers around the country.

Me? I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 08-15-2011, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.
Aw now c'mon CDH, there are some NICE places to live in the Bary Area, have you considerd Oakland?!!
Old 08-15-2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I'll tell you what, if you have to move to CA then SLO is the place to be. If I had to be somewhere in CA without a LTC, SLO is it. Move, be happy, enjoy the beautiful central coast, be patient, and within two years you will have a LTC thanks to the efforts of the CGF and other smart lawyers around the country.

Me? I'm stuck in the Bay Area for now. This is not a place you want to be with or without a LTC, IMHO.
That was the only option to get me to move to Cali in the first place and thank God the wife grew up in SLO. I love it there but I get itchy at times with the liberal sheeple population from time to time.
Old 08-15-2011, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDShocker View Post
I love it there but I get itchy at times with the liberal sheeple population from time to time.
When it gets too bad, come hang out in the bay area for a weekend. You'll come to appreciate the people in SLO, even if there are liberal enclaves here and there.

Old 08-15-2011, 9:58 PM

While there are a lot of those annoying wannabe hippies and know it all college students in this town, it is a really great town. Then, if you need to vent, just drive a few miles up the 1 and go to one of the many matches held at SLOSA every weekend. I have never lived so close to such an active sporting club. They do matches of Trap, Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, SASS, 3-gun, Take-5 Rimfire, High Power Rifle, Tactical, and I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. Point being, there's plenty of fun to be had in SLO for a gunnie and if these hopes of a more fair CCW issuance policy eventually come to fruition that will just be icing on the cake.

WTB: AMD 65 parts kit with original barrel

Interested in a Front Sight Diamond membership? PM me.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM

SLOSA IS GREAT, but what about bike night in slo? Don't want to forget about that! Almost as repulsive as a critical mass demonstration...well not quite.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I think downtown slo has more bars per city block then any other place ive ever been in my life. The only time I really wished I had a LTC was when I was sitting at the bus stop and a homeless guy was talking to me for 30 minutes, he was actually an alright guy but he knew I had at least a laptop in my bag and prior to us talking I was slightly perturbed.
I do occasionally think about carrying up by the house mainly when im riding in case of snakes/feral bobcat, or some drunk decides to hop out of his boat and see whats in the garage but Im paranoid.
Old 08-16-2011, 3:45 PM
Banned

SLO county has a lot of gun shops too. Although most are infested with fudmiesters and anti black rifle types who don't know California law. But a couple are pro freedom.
Old 08-16-2011, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalriaden View Post
I think downtown slo has more bars per city block then any other place ive ever been in my life. The only time I really wished I had a LTC was when I was sitting at the bus stop and a homeless guy was talking to me for 30 minutes, he was actually an alright guy but he knew I had at least a laptop in my bag and prior to us talking I was slightly perturbed.
I do occasionally think about carrying up by the house mainly when im riding in case of snakes/feral bobcat, or some drunk decides to hop out of his boat and see whats in the garage but Im paranoid.
Which lake do you live near?

Old 08-17-2011, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDShocker View Post
I'm with you brother. I'm having to give up my Colorado CCW (due to it only being valid as a resident of the state. I still have my primary house there, but don't want to complicate things.) I'm living in Utah for a job right now where I'll be snagging their non-resident CCW permit here shortly and then moving to be with the wife and in kids in SLO (she lives there now with the kiddos for her job while I am here in Utah for my job for now.) I'm nervous as hell giving up my comfort package on my hip knowing the history with SLO. I need some good news so I can feel better about moving to that damn state I had no intentions of ever doing but family comes first.

Anything? Bueller?

-E
They can have SLO, I prefer the 5 cities area. Falling asleep with the sound of surf in the background is really nice. I did a quick Zillow check for you and found This and This. I know a lender and a real estate agent if you need them. PM me if so.

Old 09-17-2011, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
My understanding is that SLO allows pretty much anything that is well written and articulate as good cause.

I had a friend with a CCW in slo, IIRC he just had a nice letter that said that he would like to have the means to defend his life and the lives of his family should the need arise (or something to that effect).
I applied and said that I am a senior citizen which are often targeted for home envasion, carjacking and mugging, I put more down but that is the gist of it. Guess they didn't like that. I was turned down. Been thinking about appealing, but think I have waited too long.
Old 09-27-2011, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarget87 View Post
So I am thinking about applying for a SLO county CCW, but before I waste the time and money.... Does anybody have any recent experiences with the new sherriff (Parkinson) that would be helpful?
It only took 2 weeks for him to deny my CCW
Old 09-29-2011, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyca View Post
It only took 2 weeks for him to deny my CCW
Twice denied in under a week each. Based upon my stated good cause, Parkinson must not take his oath to protect and defend the constitution as a serious mandate of his office. I've grown to truly detest authority figures who actively seek to separate me from my fundamental civil rights. Never really gave it any thought until I moved to this state/county.

Trying my best to be patient until CGF issues a fire drill to go apply.

Old 09-29-2011, 3:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Twice denied in under a week each. Based upon my stated good cause, Parkinson must not take his oath to protect and defend the constitution as a serious mandate of his office. I've grown to truly detest authority figures who actively seek to separate me from my fundamental civil rights. Never really gave it any thought until I moved to this state/county.

Trying my best to be patient until CGF issues a fire drill to go apply.

Typical SLO County LEO...call 911...AFTER YOUR DEAD.
Old 09-30-2011, 3:05 PM

Default Resident of SLO

As a resident of SLO, I know how conservative and "GREEN"(ECO-Friendly) San Luis Obispo is. This county is so "Green" They banned public smoking of cigarettes unless your in your home or backyard. This town even had a hard time getting firing ranges because the "GREEN" people said the bullets would pollute the environment.

As for the Sheriffs willingness to hand them out well, he is very Conservative on that. you would have better luck opening a Smoke Shop in the downtown.

If anyone wants me too I would not mind setting up an appointment with the sheriff and getting his official statement on Video/Written about his current policy's & personal views of CCW's in San Luis Obispo County.

Let me know ^^

Zipper Club Member Life Member
Old 10-03-2011, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Getting some feedback via the Tribune's website (I do battle with the slo hippies when they publish gun or self defense articles) that being a member of the sheriff's auxiliary will get you LTC.

Good ol' boys club perpetuated...

Old 12-19-2011, 5:14 PM

Well Parkinson is handing them out.

My BIL just got approved for his CCW by the sheriffs department. His good cause was for having a rural vineyard/tasting room on the same property as his home, the general safety of his family and large sums of money on the premises.

I will be turning in my application as soon as I can get down to south county.
Old 12-19-2011, 5:23 PM
Banned

I wonder if Parkinson is issuing to a college student that rents an apartment in town or just people that own wineries or live on a winery's property. I'm also interested what restrictions there are on the permit, specifically pertaining to locations that primarily serve alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGrid View Post
Well Parkinson is handing them out.

My BIL just got approved for his CCW by the sheriffs department. His good cause was for having a rural vineyard/tasting room on the same property as his home, the general safety of his family and large sums of money on the premises.

I will be turning in my application as soon as I can get down to south county.
Old 12-19-2011, 5:44 PM

I don't know what restrictions, if any, he has.

I just found out he didn't even get called for an oral interview.

They took his app, did his livescan and 5 days later he was approved.
Old 12-23-2011, 9:49 AM

From the folks that I have been doing business with, he has given some out to people that live in rural areas, in incorporated areas, not so much.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Well, I'll be submitting my packet here within a month or so. I am just a poor college student and we'll see where that goes. A guy I shoot a lot with is around my age and was just recently approved. He is no longer in school though and works full time.

Old 01-02-2012, 9:31 AM

P-Ritch, Let me know how that goes if ya would. I'm attending school in SLO as well... I want to get a feel for student discrimination.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Will do, just waiting for the DMV to get me my license with the new SLO residence on it before I move ahead.

Old 01-13-2012, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Well, I'll see if the 3rd time is a charm on Friday the 13th. Taking another swing at this today. I am wondering, since UOC is now banned, how much liability is the SLOSD incurring by denying applications by law abiding citizens? Kinda like Mr. Heller, the law is leaving zero path to self defense when LTC is denied.

Old 01-17-2012, 2:30 PM

Any updates on progress
Old 03-06-2012, 7:26 AM

New guy here doing lots of reading. Can someone let me know what the following acronyms are for? It'll help make some sense of some of the posts.

Thanks!

UOC
SLOSD
LTC
Old 03-06-2012, 8:28 AM

SteveG,
UOC: unloaded open carry
SLOSD: San Luis Obispo Sheriff Dept
LTC: License to Carry

Dick
Old 03-06-2012, 2:16 PM

Thanks, Dick. That helps. I've been doing some research as I am going to submit an application soon.

Thanks again,

Steve

Last edited by SteveG; 03-06-2012 at 2:18 PM..
Closed Thread