Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-31-2012, 6:25 PM

That explains why there was so much play between both halves. It kind of bummed me out and decided not to purchase it......................maybe I should ran back and see if its still there after the new year.
Old 01-13-2013, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
I think I'm going to buy a Ruger 10/22 TD soon. But I'm really new to this stuff, so can someone explain to me what is a alignment issue, and how to detect it?
Does anyone have a photo of an badly aligned one for reference?
here you go.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 01-13-2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.asian.man View Post
here you go.

Thanks! That cleared things up. Maybe you should put those in the main post as well, it will clarify the tutorial good.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:16 PM

So I recently picked up my 10/22 TD, and when I found this sticky, I checked my gun. How can I sell if it is not aligned properly? It all seems to fit snug and from looking straight on at that piece in question, it seems pretty much aligned. Is there any pictures out there of one that is misaligned? Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 1:56 PM

Google is your friend. Try Rimfire central and the Ruger forum if you want more info on this 10-22. The pics here are fine, if it locks together tight then you should be good to go. JUST remember when you go to break it down or put it together make sure the bolt is LOCKED BACK.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
I think I'm going to buy a Ruger 10/22 TD soon. But I'm really new to this stuff, so can someone explain to me what is a alignment issue, and how to detect it?
Does anyone have a photo of an badly aligned one for reference?
Bought mine recently with no alignment issues. Probably was an issue with earlier released models. Kinda wish it did so I can send back and get FREE mags for the "trouble".
Old 02-18-2013, 8:04 PM

I just took mine out for the first time today. My front sight post fell off.... It should be an easy fix with some epoxy, but kinda lame it happened to a brand new out of the box rifle.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just picked mine up today. I didn't notice any alignment issues, but i'll have to go double check!

Can't wait to go shoot it and start modding it like my other 10/22.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:22 PM

Just picked up one of these rifles and it has some serious alignment issues. Here a a few pics. Does doing this fix correct the gaps you see on the side view to make them more evenly spaced/parallel? I know that there is supposed to be a gap there but as you can see, the gap is not the same throughout. It is wider at one end and more narrow on the other. I would think it is supposed to be a more evenly spaced gap when looking at the side view?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130223_205642.jpg (85.6 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 20130223_205622.jpg (88.2 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 20130223_2056144.jpg (90.4 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 02-23-2013 at 8:32 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn View Post
Just picked up one of these rifles and it has some serious alignment issues. Here a a few pics. Does doing this fix correct the gaps you see on the side view to make them more evenly spaced/parallel? I know that there is supposed to be a gap there but as you can see, the gap is not the same throughout. It is wider at one end and more narrow on the other. I would think it is supposed to be a more evenly spaced gap when looking at the side view?

Thanks
nope, those gaps stay the same. if those gaps bother you, you might have to do some shaving on the polymer to make it even. but it won't bring the ends closer together, you will just have an evenly spaced gap at it's widest part.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.asian.man View Post
nope, those gaps stay the same. if those gaps bother you, you might have to do some shaving on the polymer to make it even. but it won't bring the ends closer together, you will just have an evenly spaced gap at it's widest part.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to do some shaving then as I would like the gap to be uniform.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Default Awesome 10/22 tutorial

Thanks for this easy to follow tutorial. The pics helped out a lot. This tutorial saved me a lot of headache and frustration.
Old 03-18-2013, 9:01 PM

Thanks for this thread. Will check mine soon.

Pick my TD two days ago. Did a brief check and had found out the cosmetic work on polymer is horrible (not the out side but within when break down the parts): cracking....and broken at the edge.

Last edited by hpdad; 03-18-2013 at 9:05 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the solution
Old 05-20-2014, 2:47 AM
Veteran Member

I checked my newly acquired takedown and mine is nice and straight ..thanks for the info though !
Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks this helped.
Old 09-28-2015, 8:29 AM

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown stock alignment

I bought a 10/22 takedown with a wood stock. As with yours, the two parts of the stock came misaligned. I used your method. It did not work. The adjustment made the front sight tilt to the right.

After analyzing the problem, I got a replacement barrel from Ruger. It had the same problem. I re-analyzed the problem and I fixed it. Here's how.

The two stock parts are misaligned because the barrel components were manufactured mis-aligned. The "aimer" at the Ruger factory was forced to rotate the fore-stock and barrel, using your two screws, in order to level the front sight. This made the fore-stock mis-align with the stock.

Ruger's barrel attachment boxes, the ones with the takedown levers, are supposed to be mounted on opposite sides of the barrels from the sights, opposed by 180 degrees. My two barrels had attachment boxes which were rotated about 183 degrees from the sights.

The correction is apparent, but not so easy. You have to loosen the two barrel attachment screws, rotate the barrel so that the sights are vertical with respect to the main stock and receiver, then tighten the alignment screws.

This will leave the forestock misaligned with the main stock. To re-align the stocks, do this. There is a screw which attaches the forestock to the barrel attachment box. There is a hole in the forestock which this screw fits snugly into. You must move this hole to the side.

Having the wooden stock model I was able to fill the original hole in with a couple of wooden dowels and some epoxy. I then drilled new holes (two diameters of drill bits) about 0.1 inch to the side. I re-attached the forestock, and the two stocks aligned properly.

It would be much better if Ruger would start manufacturing 10/22 takedown barrels with attachment boxes aligned 180 degrees off of the sight notches. Then this fix would not be necessary.
Old 10-01-2015, 4:38 AM

Default 10/22 stock alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn View Post

Thanks
Those pictures show a pretty bad stock problem. They make it look like the stock and forestock "V" misalignment is caused by too much plastic in the bedding areas next to the joint. If it were my rifle I would dremel out some of the bedding plastic until the gap becomes even, and the bottom contours match. this would lower the barrel into the stock halves at the gap by the amount of plastic removed. Go very s-l-o-w-l-y.

The number one priority is to get the geometry correct on the firing parts, the barrel and receiver. The rest can really bug you, but it's mostly aesthetics.