Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM

Default FailZero and rainier arms barrel ?

Has anyone used or currently use a FailZero BCG? Is it worth it? I really don't have a budget for this build, so if you know any other BCG I should look at please let me know.

I am also looking at a barrel and was set on a Daniel Defense or Noveske barrel but seems like those barrels are still out of stock. I did come across Rainier Arms select 5.56 Medcon barrel 16 and it said back in stock soon. Any feedback on this barrel will be helpful.

My goal for this Mega billet lower/upper set build, other then shooting the hell out of it, is to have a "high end" high quality build.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM

The Fail Zero is worth every penny. But good luck getting one. If you "really don't have a budget for this build" then you don't have the budget for a " "high end" high quality build"". If you mix and match high end parts with budget parts then you will not get the most out of the high end parts. For example, a Ferrari with "budget" wheels and tires is not the best Ferrari. That said, you might be better off getting a complete DD upper. FYI, I've found that the Mega Billet yields the best accuracy with a Y/M BCG and a high end barrel. But Good luck getting a Y/M BCG
Old 06-26-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerAR View Post
The Fail Zero is worth every penny. But good luck getting one. If you "really don't have a budget for this build" then you don't have the budget for a " "high end" high quality build"". If you mix and match high end parts with budget parts then you will not get the most out of the high end parts. For example, a Ferrari with "budget" wheels and tires is not the best Ferrari. That said, you might be better off getting a complete DD upper. FYI, I've found that the Mega Billet yields the best accuracy with a Y/M BCG and a high end barrel. But Good luck getting a Y/M BCG
What I mean with no budget is I don't have a set budget meaning I don't care how much this build ends up costing as long as i get what I pay for. I guess I said it wrong.

I'll check out the Y/M BCG, I'm in no hurry to get this build. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-26-2013, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

Also look into the JP Enhaced BCG.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Also look into the JP Enhaced BCG.
I have a full mass JP BCG and its been fine like I would expect. The biggest upgrade is the bolt material is a much more durable steel than 158.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:26 AM

I love my FZ BCG's - just wipe them off to clean! But I ordered my last one in January and got it late April. They may have cleared the backlog by now but you may want to check.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

I had a FailZero in a previous build...worked fine.

I since sold that rifle and in my latest build, went with the Core15 NiB bcg. Has been great.

You can find them in stock here...

http://www.core15rifles.com/core15-n...-bcg-6759.html
Old 06-26-2013, 9:48 AM

The fail zero is awesome. I used it without any oil just to see if it worked and it did. Of course I put oil anyways cause I'm paranoid. Worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM

I have a NiB Premium BCG from MidwestPX bolt made of 9310, MPI, HP i think its a better value, i also oil it, i dont care what they say its still metal on metal.

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=614

Last edited by Arnelcheeze; 06-26-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Default FZ FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
Has anyone used or currently use a FailZero BCG? Is it worth it? I really don't have a budget for this build, so if you know any other BCG I should look at please let me know.

I am also looking at a barrel and was set on a Daniel Defense or Noveske barrel but seems like those barrels are still out of stock. I did come across Rainier Arms select 5.56 Medcon barrel 16 and it said back in stock soon. Any feedback on this barrel will be helpful.

My goal for this Mega billet lower/upper set build, other then shooting the hell out of it, is to have a "high end" high quality build.

Thanks in advance.
I have a FZ BCG in my current Mega Billet Ambi build and it has been 100% GTG. I also chose a DD CHF barrel, but I went with the VLTOR MUR-1 upper instead of the Mega for my build. This is the forth or fifth FZ BCG I have purchased and use, I do not run them dry, but they are well worth the extra cash IMHO. I have not purchased a standard BCG since trying them, in fact I had the upper of my 6.8 SPC II FZ coated to match the bolt and carrier group before assembling I was so impressed with how smoothly they cycled.

Last edited by Daze; 06-26-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Red Rock Ordinance has some good BCGs from what I hear
Old 06-26-2013, 1:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out some of the BCG listed. I'm going to contact FZ and see how long it will take to get one in.
Old 06-26-2013, 6:09 PM

Have a FZ in my Daniel Defense Upper and have loved it so far.
Old 06-26-2013, 6:45 PM

I have the Rainier Arms Select 18"...its a great deal! I'll post a picture later...
Old 06-26-2013, 7:55 PM

Love my FZ BCG. Can't go wrong with it; it works and the coating aides in fast clean up. I read that many state that because of the coating they can and do run their BCG dry, but personally I still keep mine "lightly glazed" with CLP.
Old 06-26-2013, 8:21 PM

OP, not sure which Daniel Defense or Noveske barrel you are looking for, but midwayusa has the DD in various lengths here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/985...-matte-pre-ban

And Rogtac has Noveske 14.5 inch barrel available right now
Old 06-26-2013, 9:09 PM

My Apologizes LAKings22, I read wrong. If thats the case, Brownells has the bolt in stock.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27448.aspx

A awesome rifle would be the Mega set with a JP barrel. The JP barrel comes with a matching bolt, so all you would need is the carrier above.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerAR View Post
My Apologizes LAKings22, I read wrong. If thats the case, Brownells has the bolt in stock.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27448.aspx

A awesome rifle would be the Mega set with a JP barrel. The JP barrel comes with a matching bolt, so all you would need is the carrier above.
Are JP barrel only .223 or do they have 5.56? I check the website and it only says .223 barrels.
Old 06-27-2013, 7:48 AM

.223 wylde. Which I think is the same as the Rainier barrel. But If you must have 556 then I'd wait for the Noveske.
Old 06-27-2013, 7:58 AM

I own several Nickel Boron BCGs by different makers including fail zero. There's nothing special they all function the same. These guys that keep promoting "just wipe, and its clean". Who cares, the BCG is the easiest part of the gun to clean because you can remove it. You still have to clean all the pain in the *** internals that are NOT treated which are twice as hard to get to, so what are you benefiting from? there is no heat reduction as promoted either. I measured the temperature of both after rapid fire with a laser thermometer and there wasn't much difference if you can buy it great, if not then just get a quality BCG and quality lubricate like frog lube and you'll be all set. Good luck with your build.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM

I have the exact combination. Rainier Select Medcon with Failzero BCG
I didn't us the hammer because of the Geissele SSA-E.
headspace checkout fine
Able to reach out to the 2~300 steel targets at Angeles with consistency.

I really should get a grip wrap and go featureless.

Last edited by duc748bip; 06-26-2014 at 4:37 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748bip View Post
I have the exact combination. Rainier Select Medcon with Failzero BCG
I didn't us the hammer because of the Geissele SSA-E.
headspace checkout fine
Able to reach out to the 2~300 steel targets at Angeles with consistency.

I really should get a grip wrap and go featureless.
I found a lot of good reviews on the rainier arms barrel. I'm going to wait and see which ones comes in stock first, Noveske or rainier arms barrel. I've also been looking at that DD barrel available on midway site but since I already have a CL 1:7 on my other AR. I'm thinking 1:8 on this would make more sense.

I'll probably end up ordering the FailZero tonight but I probably won't get that in for another couple of months.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Came across a FN 16" barrel 1:7 CL and is available. Jump on it? Or wait for a Noveske barrel?