Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Recommend a tailor?

Does anyone know of a good tailor in the Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Fontana area? I prefer an independent one that does decent work, without raping my wallet in the process, versus just a standard department store experience. Another huge plus would be someone who might be familiar with necessary alterations to accommodate concealed carry in professional business attire.

I’ve been very much a blue collar, jeans and t-shirt guy my whole life. Anything even remotely related to fashion/clothing is about as familiar to me as a lecture in nuclear physics given by a guest speaker from China who only speaks Mandarin. I own one single suit that was a hand-me-down that just happen to fit, that I wore to all my job interviews.

But now I have a new job in a professional office environment, so I have to dress the part. Since I’m so clueless when it comes to this stuff, I need someone who I can also trust to give advice without trying to constantly upsell me. I also don’t want to look like some overweight, wanna-be Calvin Klein model, kind of douche either.

What is the NRA doing for YOU in YOUR local area? Click to find out.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM

I am also in the EXACT situation.

I need a recommendation for the orange county area.
Old 11-09-2014, 4:56 PM

Yeah, stay away from department stores. Unless you're talking about Neiman Marcus and similar, the stuff there is junk. You're going to want to start with single-breasted, notch lapel, two button Navy and Charcoal suits.

Go see Tello in San Bernardino. You can bring in a suit you bought elsewhere for alterations, buy a readymade suit from him and have him alter it, or order a fully custom, from scratch ("bespoke" is the jargon term for this) suit from him, which he'll make in his shop.

If going with the first, I'd play it safe and get something from Brooks Brothers's 1818 line (go to the real store in Costa Mesa or Beverly Hills; the outlets have totally different, worse stock). These run about $1500 for two, or $900 each. These are far from top of the line, but will be far, far better than anything you find at Macy's for $300. Made in the USA or in Italy. Expect to spend about $100, easily, on alterations, depending on what you need done.

Tello himself sells Baroni suits that are roughly comparable to Brooks Brothers 1818 stuff, but made in China. Don't quote me on this, but expect to pay $600ish, including alterations. IMHO this is the sweet spot.

You may need to go fully custom, depending on your body type and CCW needs. These suits start at $1,200 and go up from there depending on fabric choice ($2,000 wouldn't be out of the question). In exchange, you'll be getting multiple fittings, dozens or hundreds of measurements (in effect, you're not getting a Size: 42R, you're getting a Size: Dirte) and the exact style you desire.

I can't speak to whether Tello has specific experience with tailoring for CCW, but he was very specific to tailor my garments for the watch I wear, my wallet, and so on. I don't see a concealed handgun being much different.

One more thing (and this is huge): buy some decent shoes (with shoetrees), and learn to polish them. The standard, go-to options are Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for dress, Fifth Avenue for something a bit less formal, and Strand for business casual. They can be had for $250ish fairly regularly, either online or during Nordstrom sales. Because of how Allen Edmonds are made, they last longer, look better, and can be "recrafted" when they do wear out.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:40 PM

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 11-14-2014, 8:57 AM

Hey bud try needle express in redlands the Jacob's are awesome people they will take care of you. I'd say tell David Vladimir sent you but I only but a suit every few months so he might not remember me. You can bring in otr suits and he'll tailor them to your needs. I used to go to tellos and stop going to them because the Jacobs are local and put money back into the community but they are also competent.

Judging from this I take it you finished school and moved up to a better job congrats!

Last edited by thespy; 11-14-2014 at 9:00 AM..
Old 11-14-2014, 9:53 PM

Hey man. Yup finished school in June. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-16-2014, 9:27 PM

Babels tailoring. San Bernardino George is great
Old 02-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Tailor Studio

I cannot recommend Tailor Studio highly enough. 8880 Foothill Blvd, Suite 3,
Rancho Cucamonga, 91730. (909) 484-0333. Lori and her husband are there every day and do great work at a reasonable price.

I wear suits every day for work, and buy at the Rack or online. I buy any time I find a great deal, and I only have the clothes tailored there.

Read the Yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tailor-studio-rancho-cucamonga

Last edited by geebo; 02-08-2015 at 12:54 PM..