Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-14-2013, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbppc View Post
Can you uoc in land #2 while driving on an unpaved road? Or have unloaded rifles pistols on the seat non-cased?
I assume you mean an unpaved road on BLM land.

While practically you are probably fine, technically, if shooting is prohibited from the road (which it probably is) then that triggers the "prohibited area" language of the "unloaded open carry" ban so handguns are supposed to be cased (but long guns do not need to be). If you have a hunting license, and are traveling to/from hunting, then you could UOC or UCC your handguns (no case needed).
Old 11-14-2013, 4:13 PM

Thumbs down

Well I will just say a "friend" of mine would roll out to Barstow area BLM land and as soon as he hit the dirt road, well a little bit in, it was guns out and loaded mags in. He figures he's out in the desert miles from any help so naturally it's for protection against crazies that may be out there. So basically you cannot protect yourself until you park and get off the road. WoW sounds great.
Old 11-19-2013, 8:12 PM

Bbbppc your friend is right. My "friend" does that out there at least 8 times a year. Greatest place in the desert but you have to be careful out there!
Old 11-20-2013, 5:59 AM

Since I doubt he will change his ways, I think I will recommend to my friend that he keep a locking box on his front seat, so he can quickly unload and place in the box if stopped.
Old 01-06-2014, 9:11 AM

So are handguns and/or shotguns allowed in California state parks and national parks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidernation 247 View Post
So are handguns and/or shotguns allowed in California state parks and national parks?
Read the top post.
Old 01-07-2014, 4:55 PM

Just wanna make sure I don't get myself into trouble….going to be on some BLM land in the yosemite/mariposa area….as long as we abide by the 150 yard rule and roadway/body of water/cave rule… I can set up and shoot in a safe spot, and loaded, open carry my handgun and/or shotgun while in my shooting area?
Old 01-07-2014, 6:49 PM

Can't you just call the BLM field office for that area and ask them?
Old 01-07-2014, 8:48 PM

I suppose...I asked some rangers in the carson-iceberg area and they had no idea. Theres just so many exemptions and exceptions its harsd to keep straight

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround13 View Post
Just wanna make sure I don't get myself into trouble….going to be on some BLM land in the yosemite/mariposa area….as long as we abide by the 150 yard rule and roadway/body of water/cave rule… I can set up and shoot in a safe spot, and loaded, open carry my handgun and/or shotgun while in my shooting area?
Yes. Unless they post a closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
Can't you just call the BLM field office for that area and ask them?
Maybe. Sometimes you get good information, but often times you get incorrect information.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

UPDATE

You can now possess functional firearms for self-defense on Army Corp lands. Details here.

Thanks Boulderlaw for posting.

Of course, all California laws still apply here in CA...
Old 01-16-2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
UPDATE

You can now possess functional firearms for self-defense on Army Corp lands. Details here.

Thanks Boulderlaw for posting.

Of course, all California laws still apply here in CA...
Nice and Tank You for the info
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Backpacking in a National Forest....

Hi all,

I plan on backpacking in a National Park in the next few months and I was checking on how I can carry a firearm (handgun) in the National park. I checked the particular NP I'm going to and it says firearms are allowed (except near federal buildings).

I see from below that I can't openly carry a firearm either loaded or unloaded.

But am I allowed to carry said firearm UNLOADED in my pack or concealed on my person in a belly holster or something?

I figured that I could keep the magazines separated from the firearm with the holster and mate them when I've stopped for camp.

Quote:
*1 - National Parks Details:

*1 - The firearms prohibition in NPs and NWRs was lifted on 2/22/10. See the "Important Notes" about HR 267 in the second post for more details.
*1 - UOC of handguns is not legal in NPs effective 1/1/12 as a result of AB144 (PC 26350) and the NP's blanket "no shooting anywhere" policy
*1 - LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)
*1 - Since NPs can be near/within urban areas, school zones can be an issue. Unlocked/operable firearms are not allowed within 1000 feet of a K-12 school.
*1 - CA CCW/LTC permit holders may LCC anywhere in NPs except in federal facilities (buildings with federal employees and no-firearms signs posted).
Old 01-24-2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardsubtil View Post
Hi all,

I plan on backpacking in a National Park in the next few months and I was checking on how I can carry a firearm (handgun) in the National park. I checked the particular NP I'm going to and it says firearms are allowed (except near federal buildings).

I see from below that I can't openly carry a firearm either loaded or unloaded.

But am I allowed to carry said firearm UNLOADED in my pack or concealed on my person in a belly holster or something?

I figured that I could keep the magazines separated from the firearm with the holster and mate them when I've stopped for camp.
I think you need to transport unloaded in a locked container as California's severe restrictions apply for transporting a weapon. If so, get a Nano 100/200/300.

I would wait for Mudcamper or Librarian to comment.

Long term strategy: get your CCW if possible.

Last edited by Jason95357; 05-15-2014 at 6:41 PM.. Reason: typo fix
Old 01-24-2014, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I think you need to transport unloaded in a locked container as California's severe restrictions apply for transporting a weapon. If so, get a Nano 100/200/300.

I would wait for Mudcamper or Librarian to comment.

Long term strategy: get you CCW if possible.
This, or ccw
Old 01-24-2014, 8:51 AM

CCW is out of the question as I live in Alameda County.

I guess a locked container would be somewhat doable but with a 30+ pound backpack, it will be interesting...(I wonder if a cable lock would count?)
Old 01-24-2014, 9:13 AM

Quote:
CCW is out of the question as I live in Alameda County.

I guess a locked container would be somewhat doable but with a 30+ pound backpack, it will be interesting...(I wonder if a cable lock would count?)
See California transport laws. Cable lock isn't a container.
Old 01-24-2014, 9:44 AM

Get one of those Allen triangle gun pouch thingies with the lockable zippers. Lol I have one but don't really know what they are called. Cheap only few bucks.
Old 02-10-2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
CCW is out of the question as I live in Alameda County...
I would move to a county that does issue. Yeah, I know, easy to say.
Old 02-10-2014, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I put the 9mm into a Nano Vault and toss that into the backpack. All steel, lightweight and legal to carry.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I put the 9mm into a Nano Vault and toss that into the backpack. All steel, lightweight and legal to carry.
Anyone else struck by the absurdity of having to fish a safe out of a backpack, open the safe, insert a magazine and rack the slide to defend against a wild animal (or any other) attack in the wilderness???

The fact that this is a serious discussion is no doubt causing our founding fathers to roll over in their graves in agony over what the left has done to this country.
Old 02-19-2014, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webologist View Post
Anyone else struck by the absurdity of having to fish a safe out of a backpack, open the safe, insert a magazine and rack the slide to defend against a wild animal (or any other) attack in the wilderness???

The fact that this is a serious discussion is no doubt causing our founding fathers to roll over in their graves in agony over what the left has done to this country.
Yes. It's ridiculous. I gave up a few years ago and just carry concealed, loaded like everybody else.

Old 02-19-2014, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Yes. It's ridiculous. I gave up a few years ago and just carry concealed, loaded like everybody else.
With a hunting license, you can do that practically everywhere (see exclusions). We all hunt vermin, right?
Old 02-19-2014, 8:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Personally, I'm far more afraid of LEO's than any critters I may come across.
Old 02-21-2014, 8:15 AM

Some clarification needed on: LUCC in National Forests....where "shooting prohibited" (as in a blanket statement such as is the case in Angeles National and others).

In another post you stated (emphasis added): "The sad truth is it looks like many of the SoCal NFs are starting to ban shooting almost entirely within those Forests. This has always been within their authority to do, but they have only recently started actually doing it. But what does shooting have to do with carrying? Shooting prohibitions trigger the "prohibited area" language of a couple of California laws, specifically, PC25850 (no loading) and PC 26350 (no unloaded open carry).

So in these particular forests, you cannot UOC or LOC (nor LCC without an LTC). But you can. And you can UOC, LOC, and LCC in your campsite. These exemptions are unimpeded by the "prohibited area" language in the laws.
"

So.....just for confirmation, it would be legal, in "shooting prohibited" National Forests (such as Angeles, et al)....to LUCC ? I guess that makes sense, otherwise, how would you get your gun to a campground, where it is legal for protection.

Last edited by flexo; 02-21-2014 at 8:31 AM..
Old 02-24-2014, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexo View Post
So.....just for confirmation, it would be legal, in "shooting prohibited" National Forests (such as Angeles, et al)....to LUCC ? I guess that makes sense, otherwise, how would you get your gun to a campground, where it is legal for protection.
Yes. Correct.
Old 02-25-2014, 2:01 PM

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already (I promise I used the search prior to posting), but I'm planning on visiting Cow Mountain and Boggs Mountain Area (CalFire). Based on the first page, it looks like LOC is ok for Cow Mountain once I'm off the road, in a non-prohibited area? Where would a place like Boggs fall though since it isn't NP, NF, BLM or State? Its Demostration Wilderness. I know they have a shooting range, but the plan was to hike and possibly do some hunting as well (in both Boggs and Cow). Thanks for the help and this has been a very useful thread.
Old 02-26-2014, 7:32 PM

Question: if I wore this: http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/p...e-backcountry/

AND I padlocked the zippers with unloaded firearm inside (loaded mag next to it), would that be legal transport of unloaded firearm in a secured container to and from fishing or campsite?

Not being cheeky here serious Q.

Old 02-26-2014, 7:32 PM

AND I padlocked the zippers with unloaded firearm inside (loaded mag next to it), would that be legal transport of unloaded firearm in a secured container to and from fishing or campsite?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Maybe im late to the party. Anyone notice the Los Padres National Forest is closed for target practice?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/lpnf...0902&actid=106
Old 03-12-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalcook View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been covered already (I promise I used the search prior to posting), but I'm planning on visiting Cow Mountain and Boggs Mountain Area (CalFire). Based on the first page, it looks like LOC is ok for Cow Mountain once I'm off the road, in a non-prohibited area? Where would a place like Boggs fall though since it isn't NP, NF, BLM or State? Its Demostration Wilderness. I know they have a shooting range, but the plan was to hike and possibly do some hunting as well (in both Boggs and Cow). Thanks for the help and this has been a very useful thread.
This is all I know about Demonstration State Forests. This post is also linked to in the first post, down near the bottom of the post. And the Deputy Chief did eventually forget about me. I never heard back from him again, and never got back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post

A locked container is defined in the PC as "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device". Is a soft case OK? It's been discussed in many threads here on CalGuns. I have used a similar soft container as that before. I would say you are good to go, but that's just my opinion. It's always possible that you could encounter an anti-gun LEO with a chip on his shoulder and get into trouble as well. It's your call. As for the ammo in the case, you are also fine there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Maybe im late to the party. Anyone notice the Los Padres National Forest is closed for target practice?

Yes. It seems many of the SoCal NFs are banning all shooting these days. Detailed in this post, which is linked in the first post.
Old 03-17-2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post

Target shooting has been opened to Los Padres National Forest. Read it again.

dan
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Default Recommendations for handgun caliber-Fishing, Camping, Hiking etc.

What suggestions do you guys have for the caliber of pistol/revolver that serves some practical purpose while fishing in California. I assume 22l4 is fine for snakes. Is there a good reason to carry 22WMR or some other larger caliber instead please? Many thanks.
Old 05-04-2014, 1:34 PM

I've been shooting blm land recently and had a question come up. What actually constitutes a road? I avoid shooting from or across roads, but driving out there I often come across dirt trails (or possibly roads?) and I was wondering how you tell which of these trail like paths are considered roads and which are not for the purposes of the laws/regulations we must follow.
Old 05-04-2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst81 View Post
I've been shooting blm land recently and had a question come up. What actually constitutes a road? I avoid shooting from or across roads, but driving out there I often come across dirt trails (or possibly roads?) and I was wondering how you tell which of these trail like paths are considered roads and which are not for the purposes of the laws/regulations we must follow.
I would like to know also. And if you are out hunting(I'm not a hunter yet) and see a deer while on the road do you have to get off the road and wait for the deer to get off the road also before you can shoot?
Old 05-15-2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
I would like to know also. And if you are out hunting(I'm not a hunter yet) and see a deer while on the road do you have to get off the road and wait for the deer to get off the road also before you can shoot?
Yes. Shooting on or across a road is prohibited.
Old 05-16-2014, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst81 View Post
What actually constitutes a road?
I don't know of any codified definition.

I would assume that if it is built for 4-wheeled highway-licensed vehicles, that it is a road.

While common sense would dictate that some of the rutted out billy goat trails in some National Forests are not roads, you never know what kind of young, scared, urban, anti-gun, over-enthusiastic, rookie LEO you may encounter who thinks differently.
Old 05-16-2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornian View Post
Any suggestions on who to contact to bring them up to speed with the new law? We are planning on a camping trip in the near future and would want to be sure that I stay within the law.

Thanks.
Print out the PDFs in the first post, send it to their field office (fax or snail mail) and keep a copy with you. Follow the law and carry on.
Old 05-19-2014, 9:26 PM

Anyone have any experienced hiking with firearms in the Inyo national forest? I'm looking into exploring the Areas around June lake.
Old 05-20-2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjt View Post
Anyone have any experienced hiking with firearms in the Inyo national forest? I'm looking into exploring the Areas around June lake.
Im wondering the same thing, headed to Inyo this weekend.

from op:
Quote:
*2 - National Forest and BLM Details:

*2 - LOC and UOC are legal everywhere except "prohibited areas" (areas where shooting is prohibited)
*2 - LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)
*2 - Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site ("prohibited areas")
*2 - Shooting is prohibited on or across roads or bodies of water ("prohibited areas")
*2 - consensus opinion is that UOC of handguns is now illegal in "prohibited areas" of NF/BLM (AB144 / PC 26350) not all agree (PC 26388)
*2 - Forest administrators have the authority to prohibit shooting in other areas of the NF but must clearly post this information ("prohibited areas")
*2 - IMPORTANT NOTICE - some NFs are now banning shooting almost entirely - see this post
*2 - BLM administrators may post closures and restrictions regarding firearms use ("prohibited areas")

*2 - LCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen, while hunting/fishing, but only where shooting is not prohibited (PC 25640)
*2 - UCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen while hunting/fishing and while traveling to/from hunting/fishing expeditions (PC 25640)
*2 - UOC is legal for licensed hunters while hunting and while traveling to/from hunting expeditions (PC 26366)
*2 - CA CCW permit holders may LCC in NF/BLM
So if Im hiking in non prohibited areas I can LOC or LCC right?

But if Im "on or across roads or bodies of water" that qualifies as prohibited so I cant LOC there. But what about LCC? It says while hunting/fishing but only where shooting is not prohibited. Well if Im fishing that means Im on a body of water, so wouldnt that make it not okay to LCC or LOC? Im confused on this.

I just want to know how to carry when Im fishing, and when Im not fishing but near water?