Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-21-2019, 2:06 PM

Default More than 3 firearms?

With the SD Sheriff's Department is implementing software to run the CCW program (as reported by SD County Gun Owners Assoc.).

I am now wondering if in the future we might see more than the 3 firearms limit on our CCW permits?

In Riverside County, they can have up to 6 firearms. In Orange County, there is no limit! As long as you've qualified with the weapons, you can have them on your permit.

While I'm happy with the progress we've made, I wish I could put one more on my permit... and I'm sure the instructors would love to be able train and qualify us with more than the 3 limit.
Old 06-21-2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
With the SD Sheriff's Department is implementing software to run the CCW program (as reported by SD County Gun Owners Assoc.).

I am now wondering if in the future we might see more than the 3 firearms limit on our CCW permits?

In Riverside County, they can have up to 6 firearms. In Orange County, there is no limit! As long as you've qualified with the weapons, you can have them on your permit.

While I'm happy with the progress we've made, I wish I could put one more on my permit... and I'm sure the instructors would love to be able train and qualify us with more than the 3 limit.
LOL I once asked Michael Schwartz at one of his CCW seminars why only 3 per permit. He responding that he asked the sheriff’s staff and was told “Because that’s the way it’s always been done.”
Old 06-22-2019, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
LOL I once asked Michael Schwartz at one of his CCW seminars why only 3 per permit. He responding that he asked the sheriff’s staff and was told “Because that’s the way it’s always been done.”
You are too busy laughing (which I don't know why) and you missed the point: Things ARE changing... it's not the way it's always been. We now have permits... and they'll be processed differently in the future.

My point is, Riverside County is processing CCW's with software. My friend lives there and his permit is the size of a normal ID/credit card. It has a spot for 6 firearms to be listed (on the back).

San Diego uses the old manual default application forms and system from the State of California. If a new system is implemented, the possibility is there for listing more on than 3 on the permit.

If we don't ask... we'll never get. SDCGOA did... and they are the reason we have permits today! Join or donate to them! Everybody should be supporting them or we wouldn't even be discussing this!

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 06-22-2019 at 9:21 AM..
Old 06-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Default Easy there fella

Quote:
You are too busy laughing (which I don't know why) and you missed the point: Things ARE changing... it's not the way it's always been. We now have permits... and they'll be processed differently in the future.

My point is, Riverside County is processing CCW's with software. My friend lives there and his permit is the size of a normal ID/credit card. It has a spot for 6 firearms to be listed (on the back).

San Diego uses the old manual default application forms and system from the State of California. If a new system is implemented, the possibility is there for listing more on than 3 on the permit.

If we don't ask... we'll never get. SDCGOA did... and they are the reason we have permits today! Join or donate to them! Everybody should be supporting them or we wouldn't even be discussing this!
My laugh was not at you, only at the response I got from the SDCGO head honcho when I asked “Why only three?” Don’t read too deep into it. We are all on the same side.

Software won’t guarantee anything. Since the current Sheriff seems to be listening to specific people, namely his staff and Michael Schwartz, the most direct way to get more than 3 guns per permit listed is to have them advocate for us. During your interview, mention to the permit staff you’d like to see the option of more guns listed. Join SDCGO and bring it up to Michael as well (I’m more than sure he’s aware of the concern).

I submit my paperwork today at the Sheriff’s department. We will see how it goes.

Rob
Old 06-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the clarification Rob.

You are right... the Sheriff's department is listening (like you said) namely to his staff and Michael Schwartz. This is exactly why I brought this up.

We all need to advocate for more than a 3 firearm limit. We're surrounded by other counties that don't see the need.

Good luck on your permit! I'm sure it will all go well... especially if you got this far.
Old 06-22-2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Rob.

You are right... the Sheriff's department is listening (like you said) namely to his staff and Michael Schwartz. This is exactly why I brought this up.

We all need to advocate for more than a 3 firearm limit. We're surrounded by other counties that don't see the need.

Good luck on your permit! I'm sure it will all go well... especially if you got this far.
Thanks!

They are assigning deputies along with the civilian employees to process applications. I arrived early to locked doors. I forgot it was Saturday. A deputy opened the doors for me just wide enough to ask my name. They were all CCW appointments that were being processed. As I submitted to the metal detector I asked the deputy if it was going to be a busy day. He said they were processing 9 applications an hour.

I walked in to the waiting area and turned in my application and separate good cause statement. There were at least 5 people doing the same thing I was there. After about 15 minutes of waiting my name was called and I shook hands with the deputy that would be handling my application. He directed me to the window at the end of the room where my application and good cause statement was waiting for me with yellow highlights. I was to sign or put “none” or “N/A” where those yellow marks are. He asked a few questions to clarify my info then brought me to be live-scanned. Once done he led me to the front of the waiting area again to pay my $106. I paid then he met me at the photo room. He took several pictures of profile and face. After that I was free to go. Unlike the civilian employees he did not give me a long spiel about training if approved, etc. he just said I’d hear from someone in before 90 days.

I felt bad since my packet which included my proof of good cause was about 40 pages. Anything you state on your good cause will be investigated and should be supported by paper evidence that you supply.

That’s it, all that’s left is the waiting for the approval. Or not LOL!

Rob
Old 06-22-2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

They are assigning deputies along with the civilian employees to process applications. I arrived early to locked doors. I forgot it was Saturday. A deputy opened the doors for me just wide enough to ask my name. They were all CCW appointments that were being processed. As I submitted to the metal detector I asked the deputy if it was going to be a busy day. He said they were processing 9 applications an hour.

I walked in to the waiting area and turned in my application and separate good cause statement. There were at least 5 people doing the same thing I was there. After about 15 minutes of waiting my name was called and I shook hands with the deputy that would be handling my application. He directed me to the window at the end of the room where my application and good cause statement was waiting for me with yellow highlights. I was to sign or put “none” or “N/A” where those yellow marks are. He asked a few questions to clarify my info then brought me to be live-scanned. Once done he led me to the front of the waiting area again to pay my $106. I paid then he met me at the photo room. He took several pictures of profile and face. After that I was free to go. Unlike the civilian employees he did not give me a long spiel about training if approved, etc. he just said I’d hear from someone in before 90 days.

I felt bad since my packet which included my proof of good cause was about 40 pages. Anything you state on your good cause will be investigated and should be supported by paper evidence that you supply.

That’s it, all that’s left is the waiting for the approval. Or not LOL!

Rob

I had the same exact experience, we most likely dealt with the same deputy. I was expecting on hearing suggestions for my good cause and what I could do to beef it up. But the deputy was all business, we did manage to have a casual conversation as we waited for live scan to be open.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just picked up my new permit.

Called for appointment: October 2018
Interview: May 9
Approval email: June 12
Training: June 26
Picked up permit: July 3
Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
Just picked up my new permit.

Called for appointment: October 2018
Interview: May 9
Approval email: June 12
Training: June 26
Picked up permit: July 3
Congratulations! Good to see the wait times are getting shorter for some people.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone gone through renewal process yet in current environment?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-05-2019, 4:08 PM

Default Interested in SD CCW

I am interested in an SD CCW permit, I am possibly moving there soon, but currently have a CCW from another county. Any advice for process, good cause statement, and how many firearms are on the permit? Also whats the estimated wait time, maybe I should just stick with the permit I have?
Old 07-05-2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTX View Post
I am interested in an SD CCW permit, I am possibly moving there soon, but currently have a CCW from another county. Any advice for process, good cause statement, and how many firearms are on the permit? Also whats the estimated wait time, maybe I should just stick with the permit I have?
Do you have a CCW for California? Or out of state?
Old 07-05-2019, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

You're going to need multiple proof of San Diego County residence to apply.
They have been known to actually send someone to homes to check though it's not common.
The wait time is very long for an appointment. You might as well make an a appointment and you can take a local seminar on how to write up your good cause justification. Depending on when you move the timing could be about right.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 07-05-2019 at 6:26 PM..
Old 07-06-2019, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTX View Post
Not an option. You must have a permit from the county you reside in.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 07-08-2019, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
The wait time is very long for an appointment. You might as well make an a appointment and you can take a local seminar on how to write up your good cause justification. Depending on when you move the timing could be about right.
Agreed, due to the long wait time I think everyone should make an appointment now and then figure out the details afterwards.
Old 07-10-2019, 1:55 PM

My wife and I both had our 2nd meeting on May 7th, 2019. We were both approved by early June and now both have our license. Very satisfied with the process!
Old 07-10-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg4643 View Post
My wife and I both had our 2nd meeting on May 7th, 2019. We were both approved by early June and now both have our license. Very satisfied with the process!
Thats great turn around time right there!

Congrats. Did both of you use the same Good Cause?
Old 07-15-2019, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito Bandido View Post
Called to make my appointment in May '19, interview is scheduled for May '20... a year away.
Got a call that moved my appointment from May '20 to Oct '19.

I don't understand the 8 month discrepancy between the initially offered appointment date and the final appointment date. Something tells me that they're intentionally giving people a ridiculously long initial appointment dates to try and dissuade folks from pursuing the application.

Old 07-16-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post
Thats great turn around time right there!

Congrats. Did both of you use the same Good Cause?
Separate statements both work related.
Old 07-16-2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Although I’m a long way in the application process, I’m curious if you can change the caliber of your approved CCW weapons? I was considering a 40 cal gun with 9mm conversion barrel/mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymez619 View Post
Although I’m a long way in the application process, I’m curious if you can change the caliber of your approved CCW weapons? I was considering a 40 cal gun with 9mm conversion barrel/mags.

Yes, but it's not worth the trouble.

You basically go back to your instructor and pay to get requalified with that firearm. Then take the paperwork to them... wait along time for someone to be available and they issue you a new permit.

But since it's going to be the same serial number on the firearm, and just a caliber change, that might cause them to go "what?" - I personally wouldn't do it. Stick with 9mm and a stock configured firearm for everyday carry.

I swapped one out for a completely different firearm (dropped one and added another) for one that I didn't own at the initial application. They don't do it with an appointment (at least when I did it). You just show up and wait.

In my case, it was worth it. But I wouldn't mess with a caliber change. Keep it stock.
Old 07-16-2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it's not worth the trouble.

You basically go back to your instructor and pay to get requalified with that firearm. Then take the paperwork to them... wait along time for someone to be available and they issue you a new permit.

But since it's going to be the same serial number on the firearm, and just a caliber change, that might cause them to go "what?" - I personally wouldn't do it. Stick with 9mm and a stock configured firearm for everyday carry.

I swapped one out for a completely different firearm (dropped one and added another) for one that I didn't own at the initial application. They don't do it with an appointment (at least when I did it). You just show up and wait.

In my case, it was worth it. But I wouldn't mess with a caliber change. Keep it stock.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of having gun1 (also a range toy) with 2 calibers with either caliber at any given time. Gun2 would be 9mm only. I guess I can change gun1 to 9mm while at the range only.

Old 07-16-2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymez619 View Post
Thanks for your input. I was thinking of having gun1 (also a range toy) with 2 calibers with either caliber at any given time. Gun2 would be 9mm only. I guess I can change gun1 to 9mm while at the range only.

My main point (again) would be... you're over thinking it.

I have (not on my permit) both .40 and 9mm firearms. There is such little difference. I love them both. But not worth the effort.

How they would handle the different caliber firearms with the same serial number?? Who knows.

I don't think it's worth it. But, you could always call them and ask.
Old 07-17-2019, 1:27 PM

I just got off the phone with the licensing division, the clerk placed me on hold to check with someone and she told me we are able to have both calibers on the firearm. You will need to qualify with both the .40s&w and 9mm barrel on it when taking the ccw course. She stated that the permit will state both calibers for that firearm and that it will only count as one firearm on the permit.

I don't plan on shooting .40 anytime soon, I wish I would have asked her if I am able to only qualify with the 9mm. I will probably wait for the approval letter to ask them that, I do not want to pester them.

Good luck to everyone applying.
Old 07-17-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the licensing division, the clerk placed me on hold to check with someone and she told me we are able to have both calibers on the firearm. You will need to qualify with both the .40s&w and 9mm barrel on it when taking the ccw course. She stated that the permit will state both calibers for that firearm and that it will only count as one firearm on the permit.

I don't plan on shooting .40 anytime soon, I wish I would have asked her if I am able to only qualify with the 9mm. I will probably wait for the approval letter to ask them that, I do not want to pester them.

Wow, very interesting. An unexpected answer from them.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2019, 1:48 PM

I would never have guessed the Sheriff would allow this. Guessing this is to accommodate modular systems like the SIG P320?
Old 07-17-2019, 2:21 PM

While they are in such a good accommodating mood, maybe I should call and ask if I qualify with 4 firearms... then can I get 4 on my permit?

When if they say no, then use the logic they will allow one firearm in two different calibers to count as 1 firearm... so why not?

Okay, maybe my logic is a stretch. But darn it, I want to get 4 firearms on my next permit at renewal time!

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 07-17-2019 at 2:24 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:

I have 2 pistols on my permit that both have multiple calibers: a Kimber Pro Carry II HD in 38 Super/9mm and a Sig P229 in .40/357 Sig/9mm.
Old 07-17-2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning View Post
I have 2 pistols on my permit that both have multiple calibers: a Kimber Pro Carry II HD in 38 Super/9mm and a Sig P229 in .40/357 Sig/9mm.
Dod you HAVE to qualify with both or can you just qualify with one caliber?
Old 07-17-2019, 5:56 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning View Post

This is interesting.

I already qualified with .40 on my Sig P229, to add .357sig on the same pistol I just need to re-qualify again but this time with. .357, is that it?

Last edited by LoadedM333; 07-17-2019 at 6:41 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 9:21 PM

Been pretty quiet lately. Anyone get issued recently? I have a feeling many aren’t posting even though they got the green light from the sheriff to take the 8 hour course. It is a concealed weapons permit after all heh.

I’m at 30 days exactly after I submitted my application and supporting packet. Not even so much as a peep from the SD. Not sure if that’s a good or bad.

Rob