Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Looking around at other posts I found these that all vary slightly depending on what your going for but I wanted to see what "the all knowing" thaught about these, thanks in advance.
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...g?brandid=1393
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...82&postcount=6
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
excellent, thank you very much. The C3 looks like the best buy, BUT you have to still buy a mount? so you add another $150 for http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=171 ?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGscout View Post
excellent, thank you very much. The C3 looks like the best buy, BUT you have to still buy a mount? so you add another $150 for http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=171 ?
then ofcorse theres the http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17950 side of things. where I dont like to hear that it doesnt reset to zero and f's up the POI... so WTF? are all pivoting/ moveable sights going to do this? Is it only recomendedd to use a pivot on your magnifier?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

i don't have any comment on aimpoints, but most people get the m3/4 or ml2/3. those are the ones i see for sale the most. and you should look in private for sale classifieds. there's a few right now for good bargains.

the pivot is meant for the magnifier which is a non zeroing item. i don't think optics should be mounted on something that moves, even the front handguard isn't good enough for optics (for the picky).
Old 08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGscout View Post
then ofcorse theres the http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17950 side of things. where I dont like to hear that it doesnt reset to zero and f's up the POI... so WTF? are all pivoting/ moveable sights going to do this? Is it only recomendedd to use a pivot on your magnifier?
I think you're very confused.

When using a magnifier behind an Aimpoint that flip-to-side mount is perfectly appropriate because the magnifier doesn't need to be exactly lined up (the Aimpoint compensates for your eye or the magnifier not being centered in the tube).

If you were to mount an actual optic (Aimpoint, scope, anything that has a reticle) in a flip-to-side mount you would not maintain zero.

The CompC3 should NOT be mounted in that. It should be securely mounted to the flat-top.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 08-28-2008, 2:24 AM

the price difference in the 3x and 4x is because of the quality of glass. The 3x have cheap foreign glass and the 4x have nice US made good quality glass.

T
Old 01-12-2009, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sorry to resurface this thread...what I have read has been very informative. I have a SOCOM II without the extended rail. Trying to make it work with EoTech 557 and 3X magnifier. There were some pictures on page five of a back mount - can someone please tell me where I can purchase one of these for my setup (I have tried the rail extenders and they feel too high for me adding another 1/2" to 5/8." Any help folks can provide as to where I can purchase one of these would be well appreciated.
Old 01-21-2009, 9:42 AM

Default purchase

Ok so a few months ago I picked up the EOTEC 557 with the 3x multiplyer.
while Im 95% happy with everything...except the halo is very hard to see in "bright" outdoors conditions. I had braught my Sig 556 camping after sighting in at the range the previous week, well it worked for up-close while in the shade of trees shooting at targets 75+ yards in the sun was disapointing, so I took the whole thing off and used the iron sights... wich was a fantastic idea. Even did this with the 3x on although it took some playing with to see where i was at.

with add on Bi-pod, touch sencitive foregrip lithiom light, and single point sling
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

even on the highest brightness settings you can't see?
Old 01-21-2009, 3:47 PM

Quote:
even on the highest brightness settings you can't see?
Honestly it been a few months, but no, as far as I can remember. As soon as I get under direct bright sunlight I couldnt see the dot fully.There was a very dim dot but I had to focus on it so much to see it I wouldn't have had any accuracy. At the time I even wondered if the batteries were weakening, thats why I just took it off so I could actually get some accuracy. which worked well, we were shooting clay piegons @ 50yards under some tall connifers when I could see the dot, then @ 150 yards different location under no cover the dot "ghosted". Which tecnically makes no sence if the batteries were good.
I am going snow camping this weekend so I will use fresh batteries and see wtf is going on.
Old 01-21-2009, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

i actually just checked right now on mine. i see what you mean. with direct lamplight i can barely make out the ring and definitely not the dot. is this why higher power scopes have sunshades?
Old 01-22-2009, 5:35 AM

Quote:
i actually just checked right now on mine. i see what you mean. with direct lamplight i can barely make out the ring and definitely not the dot. is this why higher power scopes have sunshades?
yeah, a guy at my work who's really into reloading and all the very "techy" stuff has a sunshade that he can add to his scope. It has two parts, first is about six inches and then you can add another four to that by screw threads.
For hunting at "dusk" or aiming at a target in bright sun.....
But I still want to use the EOTec.. I just need to buy another AR or maybe a SOCOM II. But after buying the Sig 556, the eotec, a S&W 1911 Crimsion Trace, and a X-box 360 when I was sick for a few days, I'm kinda out of "toy buying" money.