Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-25-2018, 9:56 PM

Default Discharging a gun in CA and only got a ticket?

There's a thread in Quora regarding using Paintball for home defense. One of the guys there was telling people that while chasing the bad guys stealing his tools, he discharged a 9mm into a stump nearby. The cop came and only gave him a ticket. Is this believable as I have always under the impression that if for some reasons you discharge your firearms, the least you're gonna get hit with is a misdemeanor.

Quote:
....I caught two people in my garage rummaging around one night. It was about 2 am and I got up and got myself a glass of water. My garage was unattached to my house and I noticed across the yard the light was on, which was odd but Then I saw a person through the window. I had had an experience a couple of years prior where I woke up to a hand reaching through my window trying to climb in. I yelled and grabbed my 9mm that was next to the bed and ran around the back of the house. The person was climbing over the back fence and to make my point I fired one round into a huge tree stump that was in the back yard. I did not aim for the person…just wanted them to know that coming back was a bad idea. The police showed up and after a long talk I was issued a ticket for discharge of a firearm within city limits. I thought it was total bs but understood that was the law and well…whatever. I paid the ticket....

Last edited by OmegaTrader; 08-25-2018 at 9:58 PM..
Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

can’t a ticket be a misdomenor or a infraction?

Our Fullerton store is Open!
714.242.5400 - Info@ShootSoCal.com
10-6 Monday- Saturday, No Appointment needed.
1139 S Placentia Ave Fullerton CA 92831

Glock Optic Cuts Glock, M&P, Shield, CZ and 1911 Starting $125

FFL TRANSFER $50 / Ammo $25

We are hiring GUNSMITH position

Factory Trained and Certified CERAKOTE Applicator.

View our Online Gun Store here!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

He could have been cited and released for the misdemeanor. Cite & release happens allllll the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Many misdemeanor charges can be cite released. It's technically an arrest but the arrestee gets a ticket instead of being formally booked.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:05 PM

No. He didn't say he was cited. He said the cop came, gave him a ticket for the 9mm discharge. He then later fired about 20 paintballs to the remaining burglar. Since there were 2, 1 got away. He was also cited for discharging the paintball. So he got 2 tickets, one for the 9mm discharge and the other one for the paintball. I just found the story less than credible, especially in CA. You don't discharge your firearms then get a slap on the wrist. Some place else maybe, but not here.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTrader View Post
No. He didn't say he was cited. He said the cop came, gave him a ticket for the 9mm discharge. He then later fired about 20 paintballs to the remaining burglar. Since there were 2, 1 got away. He was also cited for discharging the paintball. So he got 2 tickets, one for the 9mm discharge and the other one for the paintball. I just found the story less than credible, especially in CA. You don't discharge your firearms then get a slap on the wrist. Some place else maybe, but not here.
Cited/ticket= same.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Cited is a ticket as stated

Old 08-25-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca View Post
Cited/ticket= same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Cited is a ticket as stated

Explain this to me if you please, since the only thing I've got in my life is 2 moving violation tickets and bunch of parking tickets when I was a grad student parked illegally on campus.

So is this a misdemeanor? Although he paid for the ticket, he still needs to be in court for the misdemeanor, correct? It's not like he paid the ticket and be done with it?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
He didn't say he was cited. He said the cop came, gave him a ticket for the 9mm discharge.
This person you are referring to:
Was he a Grad student as well?
Old 08-26-2018, 6:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Depends on where you live, unfortunately.
I seriously doubt you’d get anything close to that up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Here is the big question, was he cited for a penal code violation or a city ordinance? A city ordinance could quite possibly be a fine only. A penal code violation would probably be more like 246.3 which will include jail time or probation on conviction.

ETA: Just checked a conviction for 246.3 also comes with the door prize of a 10 year ban.

Last edited by P5Ret; 08-26-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-26-2018, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Explain this to me if you please, since the only thing I've got in my life is 2 moving violation tickets and bunch of parking tickets when I was a grad student parked illegally on campus.

So is this a misdemeanor? Although he paid for the ticket, he still needs to be in court for the misdemeanor, correct? It's not like he paid the ticket and be done with it?
You received a citation for the moving violation's. You were cited. Ticket is accepted slang for a citation.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 AM

I can't say for sure what could or couldn't have happened, but this does seem a little sketchy to me. The fact that he claims he wasn't aiming for the person doesn't sound like a horse that'll run in court. Even if you are a good shot and can prove it, it could still just mean you screwed up that shot. If you had hit him, since he was clearly fleeing, you'd be a heap of trouble. So even missing is a pretty serious deal, although maybe it's not as big a deal if the target won't press charges.

Even so, he doesn't mention the police giving him a Little Talk about how only we're allowed to shoot fleeing criminals, you go to prison.
Old 08-26-2018, 6:27 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I hope he got lots of head and face shots with the paintballs.
Old 08-26-2018, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well it all depends where and who you are.

It's illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the Tahoe Basin.

HOWEVER if you belong to an "old Tahoe Family" and shoot a Bear that is running AWAY from you on your property inside the S. Tahoe City limits, gee no charges filed, no citations!
Old 08-26-2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Well it all depends where and who you are.

It's illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the Tahoe Basin.

!
Thats not true, theres plenty of public forest lands to target shoot in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:24 PM

He was cited out for the misdemeanor, which is the same as a custodial arrest. Happens all the time. 100% believable. Seen it myself numerous times for similar incidents.

People don't realize that a ticket isn't just a "fine." It's a promise to appear in court and answer to your charges. For traffic infractions, you can avoid the appearance by just paying the fine and being done with it.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

How much was the ticket?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Most municipal code violations are misdemeanors. Misdemeanors can be cited out in the field. I did it all the time. When I worked a remote area, we would even cite out for penal code violations of carrying concealed without a ccw and carrying a loaded firearm in a prohibited area. We would also cite for discharging in prohibited areas using county codes.

This guy got very lucky in my opinion.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanchevy View Post
Thats not true, theres plenty of public forest lands to target shoot in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
Really? Specifically where inside the Tahoe Basin?

Have the laws changed regarding that area?

I lived there 46 years and used to shoot with the LEO's at the S. Tahoe airport LEO range before they closed that LEO range. ALL the LEO's City PD, CHP, SO told me you aren't allowed to discharge firearms in the Tahoe Basin, go to the top of the hill east or west, south (Hope Valley), north and you're not in violation. I believed them as they would be the ones enforcing the law.

Used to go shooting up Kingsbury to the end of North Benjamin then off into NF land if the road was passable by 4x4 which "although a nice view" wasn't in the Basin it was on the line.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Even in CA, in most of the geographical area of the state, it is 100% legal to discharge a firearm so, why would you think it's always a crime to discharge a firearm? There is no state law against it (unless it's in specific places and ways). There are many different local laws that might come into play but, each one is different so, there's really no way to make a blanket statement that would apply to the entire state.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanchevy View Post
While 7 different counties, in two different states, make up the Tahoe Basin, I believe most counties have local laws restricting shooting within their jurisdictions that are within the basin.

Here's one National Forest restriction prohibiting recreational shooting in part of the basin.

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...-safety-urged/
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
While 7 different counties, in two different states, make up the Tahoe Basin, I believe most counties have local laws restricting shooting within their jurisdictions that are within the basin.

Here's one National Forest restriction prohibiting recreational shooting in part of the basin.

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...-safety-urged/
Thanks for the back up!

This is why when I couldn't use the LEO range at the S. Tahoe Airport, and only with an LEO present, if I wanted to go to a range I had to go to Carson City 70 mile round trip or Douglas County-Gardnerville, 50 mile round trip. Or Hope Valley a 40 mile round trip to go shooting.

I know people that go deer hunting in the area just before you get to Echo Summit.

Funny thing about the "Tahoe Daily Tribune" though, the editor used to live down the street before he left town and moved elsewhere, the Daily Tribune, which started at 25 cents a day (1970's) then to 50 cents day became a 3 times a week "free" newspaper paper, no longer printed in Tahoe, but in Carson City, and now we hear the Daily Tribune is a weekly only!

Last edited by aghauler; 08-27-2018 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Pro 2a cop