Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Help me choose an SKS *Update* Bought one!

Decided to buy myself a new gun to celebrate my honorable discharge in September. Was going to buy a Winchester 1873, but the wait time on those is close to a year, so I decided on an SKS.

I know next to nothing about the platform and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction and answer a couple of questions.

1) Does anything need to be done to "Califonianize" it?

2) Are there specific makes to look for, or avoid?

3) Besides private sales, are there any commercial websites that ship to CA where I could buy one?

4) Is there anything else I need to know before pulling the trigger on a purchase?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by Trenchfoot; 07-06-2013 at 1:04 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1. Good to go as long you stick with the internal 10 round mag and dont convert it to take AK mags.

2. I wouldn't avoid but keep a discerning eye to the Yugo SKSes. I had some that wouldn't cycle right because of a bad piston, thought its an easy fix.

3. If buying online from out of state, It has to be C&R which limits the choices to Russians and Chinese Type 56's from what I have observed.
Try gunbroker also, there are some SKS I saw that plentiful in Socal.

4. Stock up on Ammo!!!
Hi-Power Practical
Baby Eagle 9mm
P99 AS
Glock 43
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

The SKS is a great choice! Ive got a Yugo that i bought in "unissued" condition, that ive fired thousands of rounds thru without a hitch. Stick with the nondetachable mag and stripper clips. I dont know about website vendors, they used to be plentiful at our local Big 5s. If you want a collector, look at the russians. If you want a shooter, any of them will do.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh and congrats and thanks for your service!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I love my Norinco "Paratrooper" SKS. You just missed the train on the Yugos when they were going for less than $200 at Big 5 a few months back. They aren't immune to the panic so I've seen them go upwards of $650. Every once in a while you'll them for sale or trade in the marketplace. Try there first, do a search.

Here are some sites That I've used and for you to peruse to help with your homework.

Survivor's SKS Boards: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

TAPCO 922r Compliance: http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

Old 07-03-2013, 3:52 PM

Any SKS will be amazing ! Get em before they dry up like my wallet!
Old 07-03-2013, 6:39 PM

Op: Congrats on your discharge date! Thanks for your service.

Well there are some true blue SKS guys on this site. Me? I had a Yugo PAP M59/A66 A1 w/o grenade launcher. 1970, cleaned up nice. matching #'s except for the stock which was forced. That said, she shot great. A tall drink of water over 40" and not meant for tactical anything but still a great shooter if that's your game. There many other variations as well. Russian and Norinco to just name two.

Tell us, what is your intended purpose for the rifle? Will it be a shooter? Will you modify it with updates? Will it just be a collectors piece? What's your budget for it?

I'm happy to help as I said but Calguns definitely has an abundance of knowledge to chime in as well.

Happy 4th !

RBA
Old 07-03-2013, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Old 07-03-2013, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://jgsales.com has C & R SKS in stock. The Norinco ones I think.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Russian Tula > Yugo > Chinese, IMO
Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post

Tell us, what is your intended purpose for the rifle? Will it be a shooter? Will you modify it with updates? Will it just be a collectors piece? What's your budget for it?
I plan on it being a shooter. Since I am new to the platform, I don't want a fixer-upper. I plan on keeping it stock, with the exception of possibly putting a peep sight on, and would prefer matching numbers.

I am willing to go up to $700-$800 for a really nice Russian one complete with bayonet.

Last edited by Trenchfoot; 07-04-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

yes, Russian Tula....
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Keep an eye out for Turner's. Before the hysteria, they had C&R Chinese SKS, and unissued Yugo SKS. Hopefully they'll come back again.
Old 07-04-2013, 1:12 PM

I disagree on the Yugo comment above.
I have 2 yugos they are the ones made without the grenade launcher attachments and they are solid shooters
Old 07-04-2013, 1:29 PM

There are some Yugos in very bad condition. Many were used with corrosive ammo and don't have chrome lined parts. However, unless the gas valve is extremely corroded it should shoot fine. Just check the bore and gas valve before you buy a yugo.

Mine is in okay condition but still shoots great! Love it!

Oh yeah and Yugos with a grenade launcher is a no go in California. The grenade launcher either has to be removed or have holes drilled into it to convert it into a flash hider. You know because of all those barrel mounted grenades lying around nowadays...

Last edited by DanDaDude102; 07-04-2013 at 1:33 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 5:48 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

If the laws pass, SKS will be going way up in value. Get it now.
Old 07-05-2013, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the help. I'm going to check around some local shops today and have my eye on a couple on gunbroker. Going to go find out if they are willing to accept and perform the transfer.
Old 07-05-2013, 6:58 AM

With that budget, you should be able to find a matching Russian one. Good luck and thanks for your service.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty
Old 07-05-2013, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have never used gunbroker before. I set up my account last night. Is there anything I should know before using gunbroker? I know I need to find an FFL that is willing to do the transfer for me, I'm going to go over to ASC and Parallax today and see if they will.
Old 07-05-2013, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

If you want a rare one look for Albanian or even Romanian. Russians are solid and if you find a good one, the stocks are just amazing to look at in the sun.
Yugo's are not SKS.rifles, they are Zastave model 59's or 59/66's. The 59/66's are the ones with the threaded barrels and some either alteted grenade spigot or muzzle brake.
If you find a yugo you should just change out the gas valve from the get go. It's cheap and will eliminate one reason if it fails to function.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrara View Post

3. If buying online from out of state, It has to be C&R which limits the choices to Russians and Chinese Type 56's from what I have observed.
Try gunbroker also, there are some SKS I saw that plentiful in Socal.
Does it have to be C&R even if buying from an FFL and having it shipped to my local FFL?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
Decided to buy myself a new gun to celebrate my honorable discharge in September. Was going to buy a Winchester 1873, but the wait time on those is close to a year, so I decided on an SKS.

I know next to nothing about the platform and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction and answer a couple of questions.

1) Does anything need to be done to "Califonianize" it?

2) Are there specific makes to look for, or avoid?

3) Besides private sales, are there any commercial websites that ship to CA where I could buy one?

4) Is there anything else I need to know before pulling the trigger on a purchase?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I know others have experienced the same problem getting an ffl here to transfer for them. I recently tried to purchase a chinese standard blade bayonet. Standard FIXED 10 rnd mag and when I tried to use one of the sites listed ffl.. the ffls ent me the following msg:

"Unfortunately I am not going to be able to work with you regarding the transfer of this firearm. Our safes cannot accept any additional long guns. I am also questioning the ability to bring this firearm into California. If I recall, it seems from it's description to be a firearm on the list of CA. Banned Assault Weapons & does not have the appropriate magazine locking device"

I replied the mag is fixed and perfectly legal in CA. Unfortunately the seller also received the message and chickened out of the sale... A standard sks...

So stress the importance of finding an ffl that will do it..

I guess more and more here these days are afraid to do any kind of semi auto transfer.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
I know others have experienced the same problem getting an ffl here to transfer for them. I recently tried to purchase a chinese standard blade bayonet. Standard FIXED 10 rnd mag and when I tried to use one of the sites listed ffl.. the ffls ent me the following msg:

"Unfortunately I am not going to be able to work with you regarding the transfer of this firearm. Our safes cannot accept any additional long guns. I am also questioning the ability to bring this firearm into California. If I recall, it seems from it's description to be a firearm on the list of CA. Banned Assault Weapons & does not have the appropriate magazine locking device"

I replied the mag is fixed and perfectly legal in CA. Unfortunately the seller also received the message and chickened out of the sale... A standard sks...

So stress the importance of finding an ffl that will do it..

I guess more and more here these days are afraid to do any kind of semi auto transfer.
I went to American Shooting Center today and verified that they would do a transfer of an SKS for me. So, hopefully I am good.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I went to American Shooting Center today and verified that they would do a transfer of an SKS for me. So, hopefully I am good.
Great!

This is the one in Kearny Mesa?
Old 07-05-2013, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Great!

This is the one in Kearny Mesa?
Yeah. I have one on GB in my sights right now, but I am a new CA resident and don't know all of the laws.

Can an FFL in PA ship the following to ASC in San Diego?

Manufacturer: Norinco
Model: Type 56
Caliber: 7.62x39
Barrel Length: 20 inch
Capacity: 10

They say they will ship to CA, but it is my responsibility to know if it is legal to bring into the state.

Old 07-05-2013, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah. I have one on GB in my sights right now, but I am a new CA resident and don't know all of the laws.

Can an FFL in PA ship the following to ASC in San Diego?

They say they will ship to CA, but it is my responsibility to know if it is legal to bring into the state.

That is perfectly legal in Ca. And ASC said they'll do it. Good to go..

My FFL (noted above) just doesn't know what is legal and what isn't or hasn't heard of an SKS (unlikely)....
Old 07-05-2013, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I called ASC to doublecheck, and apparently the bayonet is a no-go to import into CA.
Old 07-05-2013, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I called ASC to doublecheck, and apparently the bayonet is a no-go to import into CA.
Yeah, see what I mean? There is no separate California law for sks's regarding the bayonets... They too are backing out...They also are uniformed..

Yet look at all the people here who just last week purchased an sks with bayonet..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=784411

Key is to find ffl who knows it's legal and will transfer it..
I'd like to know also.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2013, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

So now I guess my question is: If I want the bayonet, do I have to buy one that is already in CA?
Old 07-05-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

well better late then never OP...but your getting into the SKS game very late and at a bad time. Most people won't ship SKS' to California because of all the FUD and this mythical Bayonet Law that everyone is scared of.

Best bet is try to Gun Broker and the For Sale threads here. Id tell you to get an FFL C&R License and COE but I dunno how much you are going to use it and well it's pretty much useless after January 1st, 2014.

Seriously, I would get one now before the end of the year because there is going to be a huge rush for C&R rifles that is CA friendly and the SKS is just that. Good luck, any ?'s or need some help PM me.

Last edited by SKSer45; 07-05-2013 at 2:11 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So now I guess my question is: If I want the bayonet, do I have to buy one that is already in CA?
See how the others here on calguns purchased SKS's from Classic Firearms last week... They are in North Carolina...

I wish somone here that purchased one from them would chime in and let us know how they were able to do it... Which FFL they used etc..

They are definitely legal in Ca.
Old 07-05-2013, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
See how the others here on calguns purchased SKS's from Classic Firearms last week... They are in North Carolina...

I wish somone here that purchased one from them would chime in and let us know how they were able to do it... Which FFL they used etc..

They are definitely legal in Ca.
That's easy. Have your own FFL and get is shipped strait to your door. I used my own from JG sales and no problems. Just log it in your A&D book and your good to go.

Of course this is only good for the next 5 months then its pretty much game over. Then you have to have an FFL+COE+Registration (through mail). But like all other places outside of CA...most likely they wont sell anything to California because of all the FUD and uncertainty of the new laws.
Old 07-05-2013, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, hopefully this will be the last rifle I buy as a resident of this state.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-06-2013, 9:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
I love my Norinco "Paratrooper" SKS. You just missed the train on the Yugos when they were going for less than $200 at Big 5 a few months back. They aren't immune to the panic so I've seen them go upwards of $650. Every once in a while you'll them for sale or trade in the marketplace. Try there first, do a search.

Here are some sites That I've used and for you to peruse to help with your homework.

Survivor's SKS Boards: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

TAPCO 922r Compliance: http://www.tapco.com/section922r/
When were they less than 200 at big 5? I haven't seen that price since about 2003
Old 07-06-2013, 9:23 AM

Turners had a batch of beaten up Chinese and un-issued Yugo earlier this year.

best bet is looking at private sales forum or local gun shows...
Old 07-06-2013, 9:58 AM

Do yourself a favor and never do business with ASC again.they suck and that's why we don't even walk in the door any more.

Go to any of the following:

Gusslers in Santee
Parallax Tactical in Miramar
Alex Imports in La Mesa

They will transfer the rifle for you with the bayonet. ASC also charges close to double what the other places do. Just don't deal with them.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

If you have the patience, just send in for your C&R license ASAP - you can have an SKS sent to your door. The brown truck of happiness just brought me a box leaking cosmoline... and I can even see the bayonet is attached, just as God intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I just talked to Jeff at Parallax and he said I was good to go. About to place a bid.
Old 07-06-2013, 1:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I ended up pulling the trigger on this one for $475. It is unissued and comes with bandoleer and stripper clips.