Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 PM

Default Air gun range near Cupertino? Clubs?

I reside in Cupertino, where it is illegal to discharge firearms within city limits.
I'm looking for a place where I can take my son to legally shoot BB and pellet guns.
The city defines "firearm", as it relates to this law, to include air guns, including airsoft.
The law says any gun that fires using air or spring power would be illegal to discharge, including in your own yard or even inside your own home!
It does not include any unincorporated land. So, anyone unincorporated is free to set up a BB gun range in their backyard, or indoors.

I'm perfectly capable to set up a backstop, pellet trap, etc.
but I do joint custody, so for various reasons, it is prudent for me to obey all laws regarding my son and his use of any BB gun or other dangerous device.

I'm not too interested in paying a range fee to punch holes I paper, but rather I'm looking for a place to shoot soda cans and maybe some army men or baseball cards, etc.

My boy just had his birthday, and I got him a red ryder. He's 9. And he has shot BB guns in cub scouts. I was so happy to give it to him.

But we are not able to legally shoot it at home.

I could just set up a shooting lane in the garage or even in a bedroom, but it's not legal, and the last thing I would need is for him to tell his mother that we shooting in the garage. she might use the fact that we are "illegally discharging a firearm within city limits" against me in some way, that's why following the law is more important to me right now, more than anything.

So, I'm looking for places to shoot nearby. Maybe somebody near by shoots (legally) on their property? And wouldn't mind allowing me and my kids (I have an 11yr old daughter, too) to join your group?

I'd be happy to share my modest collection of air guns with you and your family/friends...

Or does anybody know any clubs or anything we could join.
Mind you, we are talking about his red Ryder, primarily, so we are not breaking out PCP tack drivers or anything "precision"
I just want to teach him gun safety and marksmanship, and my stupid city has this stupid law.
Old 12-28-2014, 2:07 AM

Legal, free, and within 150 miles of Bay Area. You can only choose 2 out of the 3.

I'd suggest you try Sunnyvale Rod & Gun. It's right next to town and the range fee is very reasonable. Plus with an air rifle I think you use their rimfire lanes, for which I've never seen a wait. Their centerfire lanes usually has a waitlist on the "open to public" days.
Old 12-30-2014, 1:41 PM

Los Altos Rods&Guns club is not far as well plus it is in the forest area. Reeds indoor range in Santa Clara has .22 caliber rifles and hand guns for rent. I rented both for my 8 years old daughter and she loved shooting there. A handgun is probably too early for small kids because it requires more control than a rifle. A .22 rifle is just fine. My son started shooting .22 at the same age. There is a nice shooting program for free for small kids at Chabot Guns club in Castro Valley, but it is 40 min drive from here.

Last edited by APV; 12-30-2014 at 3:08 PM..
Old 01-07-2015, 1:52 PM

http://www.scvrc.com/10th_street.htm