Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-27-2014, 1:20 PM

Default With the way supply is, is it worth getting into Reloading?

I am close to having the funds to purchase a Lee Classic Turret Kit and the dies needed for 9mm, .40 S&W and .223
However, I thought I would search around for supplies and found that powder is hard to find in town.
All in all, is it worth buying reloading gear now, or am I better off investing in another firearm?
Old 01-27-2014, 1:50 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Supplies for those calibers are pretty easy to find. Go for it. Buy powder in semi-bulk, and only pay one hazmat fee. Don't get stuck on "I have to use bullseye/blue dot/whatever"...if you're just starting out, buy a pound each of a few different types of powder, and start learning how to do it. By the time you use up a couple of pounds of powder loading 9mm and 40, we'll be swimming in powder again!
Old 01-31-2014, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Supplies for those calibers are pretty easy to find. Go for it. Buy powder in semi-bulk, and only pay one hazmat fee. Don't get stuck on "I have to use bullseye/blue dot/whatever"...if you're just starting out, buy a pound each of a few different types of powder, and start learning how to do it. By the time you use up a couple of pounds of powder loading 9mm and 40, we'll be swimming in powder again!
Exactly. I was stuck on the hp 38, 231, varget, h335 thing and I'm glad there were those shortages in a way, it helped me discover other powders and improved my Google fu....

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 01-27-2014, 1:52 PM

Still worth it. Equipment cost aside, saves you money per round and you can make a more precise round too. Buy in bulk to save the most.
Old 01-27-2014, 1:53 PM

I've thought about this myself. I'm new to reloading, and yes, it has been a major pain trying to find powder and certain bullets. Especially frustrating when I am seeing the ammo shelves full again.
However, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment over the last couple of months and am still glad I did it. This shortage (hopefully) won't last forever, and we can move forward.
Old 01-27-2014, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson.redding View Post
All in all, is it worth buying reloading gear now?
Yes. next question?
Old 01-27-2014, 1:58 PM
Banned

Of course it is. Components are hard, but not impossible to find. Your firearms are worthless without ammo.
Old 01-27-2014, 2:31 PM

Thank for the feed back! I am sure I will have a lot more questions as i get started.
Old 01-27-2014, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just started and I have ordered enough components for 45, 30-06, and .223/5.56 to initiate a fiery divorce within any solid marriage.

Luckily I'm not married yet
Old 01-27-2014, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post
I just started and I have ordered enough components for 45, 30-06, and .223/5.56 to initiate a fiery divorce within any solid marriage.

^^^Now, thats funny right there!^^^
Old 01-28-2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post

When you start reloading you might as well be married . It will become your favorite time , next to putting little hard things through the same hole.

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".
Old 01-28-2014, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
And Hornady 55s for less than $100perK?

Fixed... Added Cali Tax.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/165...-bulk-packaged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Dunsel View Post
When you start reloading you might as well be married . It will become your favorite time , next to putting little hard things through the same hole.
Haha hell ya
Old 01-27-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

I reload for the precision.
Old 01-27-2014, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

200 rounds of factory plinking .308 = $0.60/rd approximately...

I'm doing it at $0.37/rd with my recycled range brass

That's about $40-50 dollars total saved on last night's reloading session.

Now, if I compare my "precision/match" reloads to factory match...its about $1.00/rd versus my $0.44/rd.

Worth it!

Last edited by bsumoba; 01-27-2014 at 3:00 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it still worth it. Bulk purchase and patience are two of your best friends. The components comes and goes like a tide in a ocean. You just have to watch out with internet suppliers and buy accordingly.
Old 01-27-2014, 2:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If your main intention is to supply yourself with ammo for the short term
Until commercial ammo is readily available, then no, it's not for you.

It's a hobby, and a lifetime one at that. If you're in it for the long haul, then anytime is a great time to get into it.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-27-2014, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Not hard to find if you look around. Mail order has it, local gun shops have it, and gun shows have it. Powder, primers, and bullets.
Old 01-27-2014, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Not hard to find if you look around. Mail order has it, local gun shops have it, and gun shows have it. Powder, primers, and bullets.
or open a thread with what your looking for.
Old 01-27-2014, 6:20 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
If your main intention is to supply yourself with ammo for the short term
Until commercial ammo is readily available, then no, it's not for you.

It's a hobby, and a lifetime one at that. If you're in it for the long haul, then anytime is a great time to get into it.
Agreed. There is a lot of work and prep involved. But I find it as rewarding as shooting. Maybe more.
Old 01-27-2014, 5:59 PM

It depends on why you are doing it. Most guys start reloading for cost savings. I have saved a ton of money over the years. I also get to shoot more rounds.

Don't get discouraged. This dry period won't last forever. Be diligent in your searching, try to form networks for group buys, and come on the board here and ask lots of questions.

I load for 9 handgun calibers and 7 rifle calibers. I cast my own lead for all of them except one (.223). I still want to try new stuff.

It is a great lifelong hobby.
Old 01-27-2014, 6:07 PM

Of course it is! You just need to familiarize yourself with online sellers and check often (multiple times daily,) if you have to. Bookmark this: http://www.gunbot.net/

I shoot .44 Special and Magnum. I would never shoot if I didn't reload.
Old 01-27-2014, 6:15 PM

Its a great hobby that affords me to shoot WAY more than I could if I had to bye factory ammo, gives me some quiet time alone, and allows me to keep the cupboards full during the political crisis. Get ready and store up....Hillary is coming in a few years!
Old 01-27-2014, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson.redding View Post
I am close to having the funds to purchase a Lee Classic Turret Kit and the dies needed for 9mm, .40 S&W and .223
However, I thought I would search around for supplies and found that powder is hard to find in town.
All in all, is it worth buying reloading gear now, or am I better off investing in another firearm?
You could start with just the dies for the caliber that makes the most econ sense.

I just reload 223. Its the caliber that makes sense for me to reload... I just buy the others.
Old 01-27-2014, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking at online powder vendors, and they just don't have anything in stock. Stuff to reload 50BMG was around, but normal pistol and rifle, no luck.

Bulk is great, but if you can't buy even 1 pounders.....Calling the LGS in the area seems a better way to go than online.
Old 01-27-2014, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

No. There are too many new people and it make things harder to get and the cost higher for us old-timers
Old 01-27-2014, 9:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
No. There are too many new people and it make things harder to get and the cost higher for us old-timers
You actually say that as a joke but its spot on. No because if every body gets into reloading your going to go full circle and now instead of your ammo being sucked up by all of us and everyone we just move the party to reloading.

So if your looking into reloading for the sake of reloading and benefits aside of just costs. Yea go for it. If your just looking to skip the scarce ammo supply and costs your just going to go full circle when everyone else comes over to this side of the table. Also were basically already there. Powders and primers for the most part were and still are harder to get than loaded ammo.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 01-28-2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Powders and primers for the most part were and still are harder to get than loaded ammo.
I don't see that, and I have outfitted for a number of new calibers lately. What is hard is paying a price you like. The supplies are there, if you search or diligently watch for a few weeks and are ready to grab what comes up.
Old 01-28-2014, 5:20 AM

At the moment reloading components are readily available along with tools. I am reloading 223/5.56 and 9mm for 15 to 20 cents a round using name brand FMJ bullets. Which works out to $10 for a box of 50 9mm or $4 for a box of 20 223/5.56. With magnums or the more exotic rounds the savings are even bigger casting and reloading my own bullets I can reload 45 Colt and 45 ACP for $7 a box of 50. If you shoot a decent amount it will not take long to recover the cost of your tools.

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 01-28-2014, 5:22 AM

Yes its a labor of love.
Old 01-28-2014, 6:08 AM

definitely worth it as everything is readily available online except powder, which with some looking, or buying from the reloading sales thread can be had too.
Old 01-28-2014, 7:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I started for availability and let me warn you that it is an all consuming hour burning labor of love. There are so many different aspects to it that you can really do what inspires you at the moment.
Clean, prep, organize, prep, research, prep, shop, reload, scrounge, read online, prep.....
Glad I found it.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:44 AM

Thanks for all the input, as a married man I am pitching this as a "cost saving" measure... and I want to get into USPSA at the club in town, so I don't doubt that it will start saving me money sooner than later.
Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. Always.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Despite what people say, reloading doesn't actually save you money. While you end up making bullets for less than what they cost (if you just add up the components), but you still have to factor in purchasing the hardware (presses, dies, and everything else needed) to even load. The fact is, if you load, you shoot, and loading leads to shooting more.

Load for accuracy and consistency and as a hobby if you're interested in doing it. All that said, I'm glad I got into it, but after adding up everything, I have a fairly huge investment since I started. In the last year I spent over $2000 on bullets, brass, powder, and primers alone. That's not including my Dillon 650, dies, toolheads, quick change kits, workbench, etc to get me going.

I also tried the "it will save us money babe!" excuse. Yah, after the first CC bill, she didn't buy it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

It only saves you money in one specific way. IE: Instead of black hills 77gr ammo I can make match 77gr .223 for $.35 a round. That is a savings of $.63 a round. I can make around 100 rounds an hour including case prep (much faster than that if I do large batches but 100 rounds an hour from range brass to shiny ammo is not a bad baseline), which means I'm paying myself $63 an hour, which is well above my actual rate. Coupled with the fact that reloading is a good way to decompress (for me) and can be done when I'm not working or wouldn't want to work means that it is an actual cost savings. I've made well over enough ammo to pay off my equipment, and anyone who shoots competitions will do so in one to two years.

But in general I totally agree that reloading "doesn't actually save you money."

It is fun and WAY more convenient.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

I'd like to meet someone local to learn how to reload and receive advice.
The only problem is that I'm not in a career yet so funds are limited.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Shopping around in what is left of the real world in North Orange County these are the prices I’m finding for the following components.

Powder
$27/pound = .0039 cents per grain
Bullets
Berry’s or Xtreme 115gr 9mm plated $44/500 = .09 cents per bullet
Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT $89/1000 = .089 cents per bullet
Primers
Tula small rifle or pistol $18/1000 = .018 cents per primer
Winchester small rifle or pistol $27/1000 = .027 per primer
Brass
mixed used range brass

9mm
5gr Unique = .0195 cents
115gr bullet = .09 cents
SPP = .027
TOTAL = .16 cents per round

223/5.56
26gr WW748 = .1014 cents
55gr FMJ-BT = .089
SRP = .018
TOTAL = .21 cents per round

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Last edited by wild_weasel; 01-28-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Where are you finding Tula for $18 per k?
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member