Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 05-25-2015, 8:28 PM

Default K31 "target" gun

I put this together close to 10 years ago. Still shoots like a champ. No "permanent" mods have been done.

Has the aluminum clamp on mount that holds zero well.

The Bushnell 3200 10x fixed mildot tactical scope sits nice and low over the bore and is nice and clear.

I added a cheek pad.

Polished up the trigger a bit which made it even more crisp.

Slicked up the bolt as well.

Open sights and stripper clips can still be used.

Shellac was applied to the stock and its held up quite well.

From a bench Im getting about 1.25-1.5 MOA with GP-11. I plan to start reloading 7.5 swiss one day.

Last edited by DAVO; 05-25-2015 at 8:37 PM..
Old 05-26-2015, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Very Nice - I bet with hand loads you could even better groups
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 PM

DAVO... Is there a cheat sheet or reference manual on the trigger job you did? Relatively new K31 to me, so not a lot of rounds through it. 'Crisp' sounds good though. Appreciate. Btw, the SP Clamp-on Break bore hole is slightly larger than the Thread-on for variations in the lash up. Some say it is worth it's weight. As such, I doubt it will have any affect on the pill exiting the muzzle. I am more interested in 'some' reduced felt recoil. The Thread-on reduction is stated at 23%. Do you use the classic cheek weld on that cheek rest? From my pupil to the lower edge of the zygomatic arch is about 1.25". Looks like the top of rest to centerline of the scope is much taller. Which rings did you use? Thanks much.
Old 05-28-2015, 2:02 AM

There isn't a cheat sheet Ive seen. My advice-disassemble the bolt, observe the bearing areas, and where you see them, VERY lightly polish them. Maybe you will see faint streaks in these areas.

The second sage of trigger pull should be fairly crisp, though it can be improved.

You are smoothing surfaces-removing minuscule amounts of metal, make it look like a mirror with flits and a dremel on low speed or use a cloth for a time by hand. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. After you are done, clean the area (i used break cleaner) and then very lightly oil it (put some oil on a rag and just wipe it at most).

I also polished around the shaft that the trigger articulates on, as well as the trigger sear surface and its mate on the firing pin.

The inside of the mag feed lips will help with seating a round as you chamber it.

A mainspring (not trigger spring, though I did lightly polish its bearing surfaces) may help in reducing the 2nd stage.

I figured the clamp on break would be a little looser, Im just wondering if its concentric and effects group size in any way.

I use the standard American precision cheek weld, and have high but chubby cheeks, so I like a nice high pad. I used low rings, IIRC, I always try to.

The nice thing is you can raise or lower the cheek piece by padding under it to get a good sight picture. As I mostly shoot from a bench for accuracy, thats the height I set it to.
Old 08-18-2015, 2:22 PM

Took out this rifle again today, mostly from 350-530. Shooting was mostly free standing and sitting at rocks/boulders. (no fire hazard and legal location) I used a 2.5-10x variable with AO. The scope will hold zero even through most of the zoom range but it does not track accurately. Any holdover was done manually using the mil dots.

Alternating between this and a lightweight sporter scoped 30-06 with 165 gr psp's the K31 seemed to shoot pretty close as far as holdovers, even at the same 4x zoom. Winds were were 15-20+ mph, around a 2 mill hold off at times.

I thought the furthest we shot (500+ yards) was closer to 600 but there's nothing for scale. I used google earth to measure distances.

Ammo held up well in the heat, about 104 when we were shooting. No extracation problems. The rifle did get warm in the sun and after fairly quick 6-7 round strings.

Last edited by DAVO; 08-18-2015 at 4:42 PM..
Old 08-18-2015, 4:33 PM

As Joan Rivers would say.......... "Can we talk?"

First.......... Swiss triggers. The absolute most you should ever do is polish surfaces. Nothing more. Virtually any kind of filing is going to send to the PMs looking for me.

The Muzzle Brakes........The only one that is absolutely concentric to the axis of the bore is the Threaded Brake because it uses a brass bore Pilot. The opening is only 10 thous larger than the projectile diameter, as is the Threaded Damper.

Threaded Brake.

Threaded Damper

Because there is never a guarantee of the OD of a barrel being perfectly concentric to the axis of the bore in a production rifle, the Clam-On Brake opening was made an additional 20 thous larger so as not to affect the POI of the projectile.

www.swissproductsusa.com
Old 08-18-2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
As Joan Rivers would say.......... "Can we talk?"

First.......... Swiss triggers. The absolute most you should ever do is polish surfaces. Nothing more. Virtually any kind of filing is going to send to the PMs looking for me.

The Muzzle Brakes........The only one that is absolutely concentric to the axis of the bore is the Threaded Brake because it uses a brass bore Pilot. The opening is only 10 thous larger than the projectile diameter, as is the Threaded Damper.

Threaded Brake.

Threaded Damper

Because there is never a guarantee of the OD of a barrel being perfectly concentric to the axis of the bore in a production rifle, the Clam-On Brake opening was made an additional 20 thous larger so as not to affect the POI of the projectile.
Latigo, the threaded brake is on my list. I'd like a recoil pad/sling as well.

Using your recommendations I used a bit of lithium grease today, it worked well and did not melt. Only a very thin layer was used.

BTW Ive had one of your mounts on there for 10 years and it hasn't moved. Gonna need to take it off one of these days for cleaning just because its been so long. A friend who shoots lefty even got good use out of it. Good stuff!

Last edited by DAVO; 08-18-2015 at 4:49 PM..
Old 08-18-2015, 5:07 PM

www.swissproductsusa.com