Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 9:57 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Default Real ID: Which of 2 types of birth certificates?

The California online birth certificate request form asks you to check a box for which of two types you are requesting. Either type would have to be certified (i.e. notarized). Which type do we need for a Real ID?

Thanks.

• I am requesting a Certified AUTHORIZED copy

• I am requesting a Certified INFORMATIONAL copy

Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 PM

I would assume it would be the first one. But why not get both for future use/need?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would say the AUTHORIZED copy. As far as I know, the INFORMATIONAL copy is not a legal document to establish identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMo View Post
Almost every poll shows Trump losing very badly, yet poeple still believe some conspiracy. The party p[icked the weakest candidate so they have to own that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2a View Post
Anything to protect Cheeto. Even though he just signed basically a gun confiscation order.
YES, TDS IS REAL, ORANGE MAN BAD

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

First one. Second one isn't valid for establishing ID.
Old 05-17-2019, 7:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm getting the illegal alien version. It has extra bennies...
Old 05-17-2019, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get couple of each cheapskate. Thats what I did. You might need them for other purposes in future. If you lose your passport overseas or drivers license helps with ID to travel. Happened to me in Alaska B/C worked fine.
Old 05-17-2019, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Does this help?
Quote:
Informational Copy
If you cannot obtain an authorized copy under California law, you can obtain an informational copy. An informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "Informational, Not a Valid Document to Establish Identity." Certain items may be redacted and an informational copy may not be used to obtain identification. However, authorized and informational copies are both considered "certified copies.”
Old 05-17-2019, 9:48 AM

Lotta good info here
Old 05-17-2019, 9:53 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

cant you just use a U.S. passport ?

I sure hope you can, because my birth certificate would be from France and getting the certified, would mean having it translated to English first...lots of $$$
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post

I sure hope you can, because my birth certificate would be from France and getting the certified, would mean having it translated to English first...lots of $$$
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...alid/checklist
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Thank You, that checklist builder is really cool. So my U.S. Passport works, my Social Security card won't since it is near 50 years old and still has Michel on it and not Mike, but my W2 is Mike and allowed. I printed it out my list, thanks.
Old 05-17-2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:

Mine's from Mexico so I'll be alright.

(Joke)
Old 05-17-2019, 4:18 PM

I thought somewhere in the process, you needed to upload or mail a notarized copy of the application to get the "authorized" version of your birth certificate? At least that is what I ran into when I decided I need a better, or should I say, more modern version of my 63 year old factory issued title the county gave my parents. But when they required me to find and pay for a notary, I decided the factory one will work fine. It got me my passport, which I ended up using at the DMV, only because I knew exactly where it resided inside the safe.
Old 05-17-2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Thank You, that checklist builder is really cool. So my U.S. Passport works, my Social Security card won't since it is near 50 years old and still has Michel on it and not Mike, but my W2 is Mike and allowed. I printed it out my list, thanks.
What name is on your passport? it needs to match the W2 or SSN, and if you are a GC holder you'll need that too.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:44 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Or I see a 1099 is as good as a SS card or W2, according to the checklist.

Old 05-19-2019, 7:26 AM

The most important thing is that all the names match on what ever you decide to bring. For women that have gotten married, the name change document (marriage license) is very important. My Mom ran into this because she forgot to bring hers. She got fed up with the whole process and settled for the non-real ID. She doesn't travel, so another trip to the DMV wasn't worth it to her.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=Notpc;23017264 For women that have gotten married, the name change document (marriage license) is very important. My Mom ran into this because she forgot to bring hers. She got fed up with the whole process and settled for the non-real ID. She doesn't travel, so another trip to the DMV wasn't worth it to her.[/QUOTE]

….not having a "real ID" means she would have to get a passport to fly starting 2020 so if she will never fly, no big deal...….but she also will not be allowed to enter Federal buildings (SS, IRS, etc) without one or a passport also starting 2020.....and the list will get longer as big brother decides you need one to purchase a gun, ammo....

you think the lines/wait times are long now....wait till 12/19 for the late shoppers to realize they want one.

get all the 411 on DMV website, it is not rocket science. Make a online appointment and bring the necessary documentation. You may find your nearest DMV does not take reservations so use the DMV location tab and pick another one. If getting one 90 days before your current license expires you will need to take the knowledge test also if you want the new license to be good for 5 years. Otherwise it will just be for the remaining duration of your existing license expiration

BTW, a passport will not work for proof of residency...it does not have your address on it. Also, unless it was the lame DMV person who processed my RealID app, when you bring in a utility bill as proof of residence it needs to be the whole thing (read include the part you mail in). Yeah even though your name and address is on the part of bill you keep, again that is what I was confronted with...YMMV. Car registration will work

I made online appointment and was in/out in 33 min including taking vision and knowledge test.....the line was out the door for non appointment people when I got there
Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 PM

A bit of fudd in your post.

Quote:
Real ID is not needed to:

Drive
Vote
Apply for or receive federal benefits (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration)
Enter a federal facility that does not require ID (post office)
Visit a hospital or receive life-saving services
Old 05-20-2019, 8:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I'm getting the illegal alien version. It has extra bennies...
I'm getting mine from the State of Idaho. It also has extra bennies. No Roster, no AW regs, no 1 in 30, no DROS, no 10 day wait, no stay on my right to get more standard and high capacity mags and no ban on silencers or machine guns.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 PM

Not to thread jack, but can 2 different vehicle registrations be used as the 2 address docs. Or does it have to be different types as well?
Old 05-27-2019, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
A bit of fudd in your post.
Yeah, and I recently took my 95-year old mother to the SSA building, and they didn’t check ID. They did, however, run us through a scanner and then wanded her and her walker.

Here’s a concept: 95-year old with a walker so she can stand up...she has balance issues.

The SSA security clown has her stand on one foot so he can wand her shoe soles...Morons. And, they had guns!
Old 05-27-2019, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaffo View Post
Not to thread jack, but can 2 different vehicle registrations be used as the 2 address docs. Or does it have to be different types as well?
If you’re not sure, don’t do it. Take something else. I took Mom in for her real ID, and I had the checklist and everything to support the requirements in hand...along with other sources, just in case.
Old 05-27-2019, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
...and the list will get longer as big brother decides you need one to purchase a gun, ammo....
That’s already here, since DMV screwed up the initial issue of Real IDs.
Quote:
Make a online appointment and bring the necessary documentation. You may find your nearest DMV does not take reservations so use the DMV location tab and pick another one.
True, and you can renew 6 months prior. Check for appointments, now.
Quote:
If getting one 90 days before your current license expires you will need to take the knowledge test also if you want the new license to be good for 5 years. Otherwise it will just be for the remaining duration of your existing license expiration.
Doesn’t jibe with my experience or VC 12816.
Quote:
BTW, a passport will not work for proof of residency...it does not have your address on it. Also, unless it was the lame DMV person who processed my RealID app, when you bring in a utility bill as proof of residence it needs to be the whole thing (read include the part you mail in). Yeah even though your name and address is on the part of bill you keep, again that is what I was confronted with...YMMV.
Re: Utility Bills: the top of the bill has the address of the utility service. The mail-in portion has the address for payment. They want to see that the bill is paid from the same address as service.
Quote:
Car registration will work.
i know they’ll accept one, but don’t know if multiple registrations for same address will fly...they’d like to have as many different sources of proof as possible.
Quote:
I made online appointment and was in/out in 33 min including taking vision and knowledge test.....the line was out the door for non appointment people when I got there
Yup. Had an appointment for wife at 11:00. We were at the counter finishing up, and they announced that they would not be able to see anyone without an appointment prior to 2 p.m.

ALSO, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION ON LINE AT HOME! Even if you fill out the download copy at home, you’ll have to do the electronic input at the DMV office and you’ll have to use the machines set up for testing.

I didn’t do this with my Mom, and it cost us 30 minutes in process (she got the Disabled Access machines). I had my wife do it, and the staff told her she cut 1.5 hours off of the process.

My appointment is in June for Oct expiration date. Good times!