Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-12-2018, 6:30 PM

Default NAS drives, off site backups and too much data oh my!

So here's my dilemma..... Im looking for the end-all-be all home storage solution. USB backup drives aren't cutting it.

Ideally what I'd like to do is setup a large NAS drive that I could run a RAID on, and have the NAS back itself up to off site cloud storage as a backup. I want to be able to use the NAS for daily backups of our computer (one mac, two PC's), and also temporary file storage when I'm shooting more video than I can edit (side gigs).... so, anyone know of a NAS or Media NAS that can also back up to an offsite backup? I realize the straight forward solution is to build a file server but I'm trying to avoid that if I can.
Old 03-12-2018, 6:42 PM

Do you require the on-prem backup? If not, you could go straight to the cloud from multiple devices with Carbonite or similar and not have the cost of the NAS.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:05 PM

Have some 4TB 3.5” drives I’d trade for ammo or something...
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

You Are All Ambassadors, Whether You Like It Or Not

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Bureaucracy is the epoxy that lubricates the gears of progress.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASonBASS View Post
Do you require the on-prem backup? If not, you could go straight to the cloud from multiple devices with Carbonite or similar and not have the cost of the NAS.
I do, I'll be using the on NAS as both an on site backup for the computers in the house and also as something on of a file server. Im already running carbonite and considering dumping it for backblaze. I had been on crashplan and switched over to carbonite two months ago or so. Carbonite has been terrible from day 1.

Last edited by Toyman321; 03-12-2018 at 8:56 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
So here's my dilemma..... Im looking for the end-all-be all home storage solution. USB backup drives aren't cutting it.

Ideally what I'd like to do is setup a large NAS drive that I could run a RAID on, and have the NAS back itself up to off site cloud storage as a backup. I want to be able to use the NAS for daily backups of our computer (one mac, two PC's), and also temporary file storage when I'm shooting more video than I can edit (side gigs).... so, anyone know of a NAS or Media NAS that can also back up to an offsite backup? I realize the straight forward solution is to build a file server but I'm trying to avoid that if I can.
Post #24:

https://calguns.net/calgunforum/show....php?t=1430667
Old 03-13-2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Unless Im missing something that post is how to clone a hard drive? Nothing related to network attached storage with an offsite backup?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 AM

Since you said shooting video, what type of video codecs we talking about? H.264, ProRes, RED?

Assuming you are like me, you want bigger is better. if that's the case, I can't recommend enough Synology NAS's! Hardware based RAID, multi-OS (file system) support, upgradable (to some extent), and has a lot of apps (widgets) from Synology and an active developer community.

Personally, I have a DiskStation DS1815+ (8-bay model) with 16GB of RAM and ~25 TB of storage in a RAID 5 configuration.

I used to use CrashPlan with lots of luck and unlimited storage to the cloud, until they changed their business model. They (CrashPlan) recommended Carbonite. NO.

Now I use iDrive! They have a 2TB and 5TB personal storage plan (1 user), BUT they have a nice Synology app that makes it a breeze to use.

Also use AWS Glacier. Obviously unlimited storage, free to upload, but they get you on the download! It is more of a pay for what you use (download). Also has a Synology app!

You might also consider a personal offsite backup, but you will need 2 NAS boxes. I did this, but it was to dependent on the client NAS (the other NAS). It was cool and low-cost until they wanted to start charging me for the internet since I used saturated their bandwidth.

Any questions, let me know
The National Rifle Association of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
U.S. Concealed Carry Association
Civilian Marksmanship Program
United States Practical Shooting Association
International Defensive Pistol Association
National Sporting Clays Association
Old 03-14-2018, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Synology is a great choice. If you don't want to go to heavy (price wise) from the start go wit a DS718+ You have two bays but can expand up to seven with an expansion unit. However, if you willing to pay for it, you might as well start off with the bigger units right from the get go.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-08-2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Synology is a great choice. If you don't want to go to heavy (price wise) from the start go wit a DS718+ You have two bays but can expand up to seven with an expansion unit. However, if you willing to pay for it, you might as well start off with the bigger units right from the get go.
After looking around a bunch I wound up picking up a DiskStation. So far I'm very impressed. All my machines are humming away backing up it without an issues. I didn't realize how many other things the DiskStations can do... looks like it's going to take care of a bunch of other things for me as well (security cameras, remote file serving etc). Now I'm trying to sort out the offsite backup solutions so I can back the whole thing up as an extra layer of security. Currently looking at BackBlaze B2 and the Amazon offering.
Old 04-08-2018, 7:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Have some 4TB 3.5” drives I’d trade for ammo or something...
I use a QNAP TS-451+ as a media server and backup the important stuff to my 5TB iDrive account. The QNAP includes an iDrive client.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 04-09-2018, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
After looking around a bunch I wound up picking up a DiskStation. So far I'm very impressed. All my machines are humming away backing up it without an issues. I didn't realize how many other things the DiskStations can do... looks like it's going to take care of a bunch of other things for me as well (security cameras, remote file serving etc). Now I'm trying to sort out the offsite backup solutions so I can back the whole thing up as an extra layer of security. Currently looking at BackBlaze B2 and the Amazon offering.
Good choice. Glad you're happy with it. BackBlaze pricing looks pretty good.

Old 04-14-2018, 7:00 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Glad I found this thread. I have simpler needs, I'm looking for an external DAS solution that can run SAS drives. I presume everyone in this thread is running SATA?

I found some low cost SAS boxes on Amazon and Newegg, I don't need or want anything fancy - I don't want RAID, I don't need any kind of special storage management. 2+ bays is good enough for me.

The problem with running SAS is that I am pretty sure I need to buy an HBA + the box, since SAS boxes don't connect via USB.

As an enterprise storage guy, I understand enough to be dangerous, but have never tried implementing my own JBOD solution.

So - question for those here - anyone running SAS? What's your enclosure, what's your HBA, what's your OS, where did you buy your hardware, and how do you use it?

Turby
Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Glad I found this thread. I have simpler needs, I'm looking for an external DAS solution that can run SAS drives. I presume everyone in this thread is running SATA?

I found some low cost SAS boxes on Amazon and Newegg, I don't need or want anything fancy - I don't want RAID, I don't need any kind of special storage management. 2+ bays is good enough for me.

The problem with running SAS is that I am pretty sure I need to buy an HBA + the box, since SAS boxes don't connect via USB.

As an enterprise storage guy, I understand enough to be dangerous, but have never tried implementing my own JBOD solution.

So - question for those here - anyone running SAS? What's your enclosure, what's your HBA, what's your OS, where did you buy your hardware, and how do you use it?

Turby
It's been ages since I've run DAS or done any IT work, but I've had experience with Dell, HP, Drobo and QNAP and they all have solid DAS products.

Old 04-14-2018, 3:06 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
It's been ages since I've run DAS or done any IT work, but I've had experience with Dell, HP, Drobo and QNAP and they all have solid DAS products.
Thanks. I started by looking at QNAP online today, I think cost of entry is a bit more than I'd like to spend.. about $1,200 gets me started.

I found another 4 bay solution for about $430 which includes the HBA, it isn't the most robust enterprise solution but I think it'll do what I need it to do.

Now I need to figure out if my motherboard has PCIe 2.0...

Turby
Old 04-14-2018, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You could look for used ones on ebay. Probably save you quite a bit.

Old 04-14-2018, 6:10 PM

I like my FreeNAs servers
Old 04-16-2018, 2:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Slackware w/kernel RAID, SaMBa shared, and rsync?

Software=Gratis, but learning=priceless.

Will work on just about any hardware that supports the drives required.
Old 04-16-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Slackware w/kernel RAID, SaMBa shared, and rsync?

Software=Gratis, but learning=priceless.

Will work on just about any hardware that supports the drives required.
Traditional RAID has a serious data integrity flaw commonly known as 'the write hole', whereas advanced file systems that incorporate RAID-like data redundancy can avoid it. The ZFS file system in RaidZ or RaidZ2 mode would be an example of the latter.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I can't recall the last time any Slackware box I installed on froze, let alone panicked, but I am sure it can happen.

Granted I don't use it for a file server, but an ssh tunnel server, mostly these days.