Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 4:12 PM

Thumbs down Frustrated!

DROS'd a long gun from Turners Reseda, I asked the gentleman to check the stock in the back to be absolutely sure that my firearm would have the same features.

He got real huffy puffy with me and wasn't very pleasant in telling me this is how they come. I had to cut him off of his rant and explain this is how I want it to come, would just like you to check the back because all of my research indicated it would not come like this. He assured me that it would be the same.

Go to pick up my firearm and the first thing I notice is this is not the same config that I was looking at when I DROS'd the firearm. They gentleman helping me with the pick up said this is how the display model is too (I said no it isn't, he went to confirm and I was right). This guy was genuinely helpful and tried to make it right (also very apologetic and empathetic to my situation).

Long story short the manager said I would have to re DROS (and pay DROS fee again along with another 10 day wait). So I was frustrated that they wouldn't even pay the DROS fee for their mistake (I would have re DROS had they ate this fee).

I was offered nothing for their mistake other than to pay more money and wait more time.

Again I don't want to flame the guy helping me with the pick up (Kevin I believe... he was very helpful). But the gentleman who started my DROS and the store manager have no clue about customer service.

If you go to ANY Turners to DROS a firearm make them check the stock (if available) no matter what they tell you. It's always a bummer to have something in your mind and go to find out that isn't what you got.

Had they showed me the firearm which I ended up with I would have DROS'd it anyway, but the fact is they didn't show me that one.

Turners made a mistake and wanted me to pay for their mistake (not cool, not cool at all). In fact the store manager wasn't even open to me asking anymore questions about the matter, just sat a foot away from me and ignored me (seriously he was right in front of me and chose to look up at the ceiling).

This was about 2 weeks ago, I have been internally debating whether to post this or not, but here it is!
Old 07-29-2013, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

I would be upset about that also. An apology is just hot air, unless they actually make it right. They should have paid the 2nd DROS, and given you something... anything, for your wasted time.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
I would be upset about that also. An apology is just hot air, unless they actually make it right. They should have paid the 2nd DROS, and given you something... anything, for your wasted time.
I agree with you 100%, but to be fair the guy apologizing had nothing to do with the mistake and he was genuinely bummed about it too. He also wasn't in a position to make me offers on getting it made right, he did get the manager but as I explained the manager was less than receptive to my presence.

I never raised my voice or gave them any reason not to help me! The manager never apologized, nor did the gentleman who started the DROS. Only the employee stuck helping me with the pick up apologized (he had no reason to apologize.. he understood what it is to be in retail service)

Last edited by milky; 07-29-2013 at 4:36 PM..
Old 07-29-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky View Post
DROS'd a long gun ...
A long gun DROS is good for any long gun. They could have just crossed out the wrong one and written in the new one. You should have been able to still take a long gun home that day! Thats horrible service!
Old 07-29-2013, 5:19 PM

^^^This only frustrates me more!

Just be cautious when buying from turners or any other franchise store! At the end of the day they just don't care!
Old 07-29-2013, 5:34 PM

Default Frustrated!

And you still bought the gun?? I wouldve voiced my displeasure and taken my business elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post
And you still bought the gun?? I wouldve voiced my displeasure and taken my business elsewhere

I paid for the gun at DROS (paid in full) I would have lost out on money at that point + I went there with intent to buy a specific firearm, and it was only a bonus that they showed me a model with the features I desired. A bonus that got my hopes up (way up).

Your right I could have eaten +$160 and walked away, but then I would have been even more frustrated wasting that money (and no guaranty i could find the configuration I wanted somewhere else) and would also be out another DROS fee and another 10 day wait. i.e. the one I took home had a telescoping stock and the one they showed me and assured me I was getting had a fixed swiss style stock!

I just don't ever plan on spending another dime there (reseda store), especially after the way the manager treated me at pick up (I mean ignored me).
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM

The most appropriate thing they could have done is waive the DROS. They dropped the ball this time.

The tree-hugging politicians are just too brain dead to read the Constitution. It's our duty to vote them out of office. Long live the Republic!

-Cliff Delta
Old 07-30-2013, 6:33 AM

They did messed up.They should have paid for the fees.There customer service seems to be getting worse .
Old 07-30-2013, 6:45 AM

they screwed up twice in the same transaction...

reseda gets more complains than other stores if you search this forum....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM

I just email'd robz@turners.com, we will see what they do!

Firearms are not cheap, at least hire people willing to do everything they can to make sure you will get what you look at!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just email'd robz@turners.com, we will see what they do!

Firearms are not cheap, at least hire people willing to do everything they can to make sure you will get what you look at!
Good, send it on up the food chain at Turner's and see what they say. This just isn't right. And it's bad service.
Old 07-30-2013, 3:34 PM

Sucks They should have offered you something / or paid dros, for there mistake.
SIG MOSQUITO
22 BOBCAT
795 MARLIN
SPR SPIKES BUILT0
Noveske AR pistol
Old 07-30-2013, 4:42 PM

Take it up the ladder to their corporate offices.
Call them and tell them what happened and see if they will make it right, then send an e-mail to confirm the conversation.
Give them the facts that you know are true and try to keep opinion out of it.
Make sure to mention the store manager by name, the clerk by name and see if they want to make it right.
Old 07-30-2013, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
Call them and tell them what happened and see if they will make it right, then send an e-mail to confirm the conversation.
Make sure to mention the store manager by name, the clerk by name and see if they want to make it right.
Agreed. The manager answers to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2013, 4:52 PM

I'm a little confused when any firearm is DROS'd shouldn't the serial numbers, part numbers, model numbers match? Did they do a bait and switch? All the times I have gone to Turners, different location, I have always gotten what I ordered or bought. They usually confirm the S/N during the purchase process and re-confirm at pickup. Was this a custom configuration that you ordered? If they showed you a physical firearm in their store, ie: (the one with the features you wanted) did they happen to remove the features after you left the store and tried to sell you the same S/N item with the extras removed? Something does not add up and no I do not work for Turners. Sounds like someone dropped the ball and going to corporate would be the first thing I would do in your case.

Last edited by tekrus05; 07-30-2013 at 4:57 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrus05 View Post
I'm a little confused when any firearm is DROS'd shouldn't the serial numbers, part numbers, model numbers match? Did they do a bait and switch? All the times I have gone to Turners, different location, I have always gotten what I ordered or bought. They usually confirm the S/N during the purchase process and re-confirm at pickup. Was this a custom configuration that you ordered? If they showed you a physical firearm in their store, ie: (the one with the features you wanted) did they happen to remove the features after you left the store and tried to sell you the same S/N item with the extras removed? Something does not add up and no I do not work for Turners. Sounds like someone dropped the ball and going to corporate would be the first thing I would do in your case.
They did not do a bait and switch. They showed me a floor model, and said they had them in stock. I knew when looking at the floor model that I would not be getting that particular firearm, which is why I asked the clerk to check the stock in the back to confirm the configuration of the rifle. That's when the clerk got defensive and tried to tell me "that's how they come". I had to cut him off from his defensive rant a and say "this is how I prefer it to come". He was adamant about it, nothing I said would have gotten him to double check, he was absolutely positive that he was providing me with the correct info! That's the point I should have asked for another clerk (but you probably know how that store gets, having a clerk available in the first place is near impossible).

I emailed robz this morning, but he has not gotten back to me yet.
Old 07-30-2013, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

They didn't intentionally bait and switch, they just dickheaded and switched. I hope they get back to your email with some serious apology. You tried to prevent a problem, and the dude lied to you. His lie was willful ignorance, as you supplied with him with the correct information. Just because guns are a seller's market right now doesn't mean they should get away with it.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 07-30-2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post

Exactly !
Old 07-30-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
I'm sure the clerks name is on the DROS. The manager at the store wouldn't give me the time if day after he was summoned by the clerk helping me with the pick up, the manager talked to the clerk in front of me and said "he'll have to DROS again" then I tried to ask a question and half way through my sentience he looked up at the ceiling (this is the very sad truth). It didn't occurred to me at that time to get his name, but I'm sure they can figure it out from the store schedule.

The clerk helping me with the pick up said that that the clerk who processed my DROS should not have been the one helping me with that particular firearm (whatever that means now).
Old 07-30-2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgughj View Post
Exactly !
That's already been addressed, and would have put me in an even worse position as they would have kept a portion of my payment and I would still have to go through another DROS and seeing as how the rifle I got is what is normally shipped to dealers I would have ended up with the same thing I have now!

So I really don't see how this would have helped in my situation. Instead of just paying another DROS fee and waiting another 10 days and actually getting what I thought I was buying in the first place, I would have left with no rifle a wasted DROS fee wasted 10 day wait and 1/3 of the rifles cost less money in my bank account! That is a no win situation!

You would have walked? Doubt it!
Old 07-30-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
That's already been addressed, and would have put me in an even worse position as they would have kept a portion of my payment and I would still have to go through another DROS and seeing as how the rifle I got is what is normally shipped to dealers I would have ended up with the same thing I have now!

So I really don't see how this would have helped in my situation. Instead of just paying another DROS fee and waiting another 10 days and actually getting what I thought I was buying in the first place, I would have left with no rifle a wasted DROS fee wasted 10 day wait and 1/3 of the rifles cost less money in my bank account! That is a no win situation!

You would have walked? Doubt it!

Sorry , I did not Read your post. I just quoted the guy above .....
The sales person who handled your Dros Screwed up , The Manager wasn't listening to you , You should have Stopped the sale and ask for his/Her Bosses Contact info Right then and There ...

Honestly I don't think I would have paid the Dros , I Don't have patience for peoples mistake ...

Please post back with the outcome . I think they owe you your Dros back and a explanation !
Old 07-30-2013, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The sales person who handled your Dros Screwed up , The Manager wasn't listening to you , You should have Stopped the sale and ask for his/Her Bosses Contact info Right then and There ...

Honestly I don't think I would have paid the Dros , I Don't have patience for peoples mistake ...

Please post back with the outcome . I think they owe you your Dros back and a explanation !
Considering he was trying to lock in his savings of $160 I think he made the right move. They can always refund his DROS fee later.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 07-30-2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your support. I wasn't trying to be a jerk to you, comes out that way through typing sometimes!
Old 07-30-2013, 7:37 PM

Most importantly just follow up with the manager and then corporate. If all else fails, do not be a repeating customer and tell your friends about it. Nowadays it is extremely difficult to affect how a company conducts their business. They can treat 100 of their customers poorly day in/day out and still be in business year after year.
Old 07-30-2013, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Problem is, there are tons of people who are still going to buy stuff at places like that. Customer service is no longer the goal of most chain stores. While you will sometimes get certain helpful folks, the almighty dollar for the CEOs bottom line is the most important thing and having well trained, fairly paid, competent salespeople and mangers is not a high priority. There is typically someone right behind you in line who cares little about service and just wants his stuff.

This is not to say that you won't get good customer service, just that providing service and satisfaction is rapidly becoming a lost art in the retail world of today.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 07-30-2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
Considering he was trying to lock in his savings of $160 I think he made the right move. They can always refund his DROS fee later.
I didn't pay a second DROS fee. Just paid in full when I did the DROS on the firearm partially because I was assured of the configuration, partially because it was a little less expensive than the competitors, and partially because I do a lot of homework on what I'm about to purchase and want to get the payment out of the way!

It would be awesome if they bought and installed a fixed Swiss style folding stock for my rifle (just like the one on display at their store) free of charge to me. That would make things right for sure. But I don't think Turners (corporate) will take any responsibility, definitely the manager or the clerk who did the DROS are not going to take responsibility either. This is what happens sometimes when dealing with a corporation and the actual loss to the customer is something less tangible than major major money or a serious lawsuit (which neither are my situation). Corporations just don't care, thousands of others will still continue to shop there and they rightfully should!

I have always had a reservation about making a purchase at Turners, because of stories like mine (I'm not the first or the last person this will happen too)! Gotta listen to my gut!

It's a learning experience for sure.

Last edited by milky; 07-31-2013 at 9:51 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Problem is, there are tons of people who are still going to buy stuff at places like that. Customer service is no longer the goal of most chain stores. While you will sometimes get certain helpful folks, the almighty dollar for the CEOs bottom line is the most important thing and having well trained, fairly paid, competent salespeople and mangers is not a high priority. There is typically someone right behind you in line who cares little about service and just wants his stuff.

This is not to say that you won't get good customer service, just that providing service and satisfaction is rapidly becoming a lost art in the retail world of today.
You posted this while I was writing out my corporate rant! Spot on!
Old 07-30-2013, 8:47 PM

I just had a somewhat similar experience with a different Turner's location. Manager wouldn't talk with me directly. Department manager "didn't remember" or changed his mind on a price. I spent over 5k and this issue was for $30!!

Even if I was wrong, though I wasn't he should have spoken with me rather than hide in the back.
Old 07-30-2013, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You posted this while I was writing out my corporate rant! Spot on!
Great minds think alike!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
CGN Contributor

You should have verified all the information before you signed the DROS and paid for it. Totaly your fault. You got what you paid for. Im just saying becuase in every case when I purchased a weapon, checked this info when I bought it and when I pricked it up.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
You should have verified all the information before you signed the DROS and paid for it. Totaly your fault. You got what you paid for. Im just saying becuase in every case when I purchased a weapon, checked this info when I bought it and when I pricked it up.
Not true. Manufactures will sometimes change features and options without changing the model number. S&W has been notorious for this especially with their sport model rifle. First they changed the rear sight and this year they discontinued the use of their 5R rifled barrels on them. Colt did the same thing. The boxes are now marked 2013 model because they used the same model numbers.

Just curious...what did you buy that the floor model was different than the one you received?
Old 07-31-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
I did get what I paid for, also there was no price difference between the two, I asked to confirm and expressed why I wanted them to confirm, they would not and were very adamant about their info being correct. "Totally my fault" would have been me not expressing any concern over the issue at the time of DROS and at the time of pick-up. I did everything I could as a customer at Turners to get what I was shown, me physically making them check would get me thrown out of the store! the only thing that was "totally my fault" was going to turners to DROS a firearm!

My big issue is that I was shown a rifle with a fixed stock, and got a rifle with a telescoping stock. Had I went in there and the display model had a telescoping stock I still would have bought it (since that is how I was to believe the rifle came anyway), but since they showed me something different and I asked them to confirm and they didn't, is the REAL customer service issue!

and while doing the pick up one of the clerks was trying to do all he could to make it right, and even brought the manager. The manager wouldn't talk to me aside from you have to re DROS.

This is my first purchase from Turners, everything I have bought before this purchase I have always been shown the actual model I would be taking home, I'm aware that this isn't the case with turners and other big stores which is why I asked them to confirm for me (I knew in my heart something like this would happen which is why I have managed to avoid buying a firearm from Turners until recently)!

I think the point of my thread is misunderstood. I am happy with my rifle and can swap a butt stock if I really need to, my point is CUSTOMER SERVICE, you will not get any from some clerks and at least 1 manager at the Reseda store. Had they done what the customer had asked in the first place, I would not have started this thread.

Just affirms why I avoided making big purchases at places like Turners. It's nothing against the corporation itself, just the staff has zero accountability or pride in what transactions take place there

Last edited by milky; 07-31-2013 at 9:55 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 9:36 AM

Still waiting for robz@turners.com to return my email!
Old 07-31-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfreak66 View Post
Not true. Manufactures will sometimes change features and options without changing the model number. S&W has been notorious for this especially with their sport model rifle. First they changed the rear sight and this year they discontinued the use of their 5R rifled barrels on them. Colt did the same thing. The boxes are now marked 2013 model because they used the same model numbers.

Just curious...what did you buy that the floor model was different than the one you received?
i bought a sig 522, the floor model had a fixed swiss style folding stock, the rifle I took home had a telescoping folding stock!

no functional difference in the firearm action, just ascetic differences. And like I had said everything I had read prior to going to turners led me to believe that this configuration is normal (telescoping), so it was a pleasant surprise to be shown a model with the fixed swiss style (got my hopes up a lot) and was even the reason I was asking the clerk to check the stock in the back to confirm, because I knew I'd be heartbroken!
Old 07-31-2013, 1:33 PM

So this is what you saw on the shelf...

and this is what you received...

And I know the pics show a SWAT model with rail and one has a rear sigh and the other has a red dot, but that isn't the issue.

Sig has changed this configuration more than a couple times keeping the same model number on the box. The fixed stock seems to be the new model according to their web site.

Last edited by Toolfreak66; 07-31-2013 at 1:40 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
So this is what you saw on the shelf...

and this is what you received...

And I know the pics show a SWAT model with rail and one has a rear sigh and the other has a red dot, but that isn't the issue.

Sig has changed this configuration more than a couple times keeping the same model number on the box. The fixed stock seems to be the new model according to their web site.
Yes, I bought a classic! but the butt stock is the issue, I had also heard of the fixed stock being the current run, but I don't think that is the case. I definitely have a 522 with the new style gas block/hand guard end cap. Some places have the classic with the fixed stock and the swat model with the telescoping. It has been a complete mixed bag as to who has what and on what model.

So I was generally happy to be looking at a model that had the stock that I wanted and made sure to be very vocal about it, but the rest is history! I was told, assured really that this is what I would get, and it was not what I got!

Still waiting for a reply from the email I sent to robz@turners.com!

Last edited by milky; 07-31-2013 at 5:45 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 7:11 AM

Had same thing happen to me at Turners in Pasadena. Delton Rifle i ordered had all magpul furniture one i got was all stock. They offered me $15 gift card from manager. Thats all the could do... Yea right Lol

I went straight to Delton and they contacted turners office i had Rob email me directly a few days later apologizing. In the end i took my rifle back to turners and they gave me all the magpul furniture and a 50$ gift card and free magpul rear sight. Took about 3 weeks of emails but finally got taken care of.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHk View Post
Had same thing happen to me at Turners in Pasadena. Delton Rifle i ordered had all magpul furniture one i got was all stock. They offered me $15 gift card from manager. Thats all the could do... Yea right Lol

I went straight to Delton and they contacted turners office i had Rob email me directly a few days later apologizing. In the end i took my rifle back to turners and they gave me all the magpul furniture and a 50$ gift card and free magpul rear sight. Took about 3 weeks of emails but finally got taken care of.
Glad they worked it out for you, it sucks that you would have to go through Delton for them to do anything about it though!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So true, don't know where you buy your weapons from, but every one that I have purchased has been in my hands and before I signed the DROS, I was able to check the SN etc. They boxed up that weapon tagged it with my name & copy of paperwork. He knew what he purchased.........
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]