Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-28-2012, 8:59 PM

Default Ladies, how do you hide it?

Figured that title would get the boys all riled up, but what I really want to know is how do you other ladies conceal your CCW?

I don't know if it's my body shape or what, but if I carry anything larger than an LC9 on my belt in a IWB holster, I either look like Wyatt Erp at the OK Corral with my pistol poking out about 3 inches off my hip, or it's so high it hits me in the armpit.

I carry my .45 in my purse, but there are times I'd like to be able to carry a larger (meaning mid-size - Colt Defender or Ruger SR9C size) pistol on my belt without looking like I'm going into combat.

Any ideas? Thks!

PS - I should mention I have both cheap nylon holsters (which mostly flop around) and good leather that holds my guns in tight and canted. I've tried everything from the front quarter (can't drive) to behind the back (still can't drive). I prefer around the 3-4 o'clock position but it still sticks out quite a bit.

Last edited by myusername; 11-28-2012 at 9:03 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 6:19 AM

I've found that carrying in an IWB holster just in front of my hip ("appendix carry") is much more comfortable than carrying right on my hip. I'm in a county that doesn't issue CCW permits, but I still carry when I'm at home (I work from a home office) and can manage to be comfortable all day that way even with a fairly large weapon.

Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown
Old 11-29-2012, 7:16 AM

I do a belly band sort of at the 4 O'clock area. Not in the small of my back, not on the hip area since it juts out too much in that spot. I usually carry my XD9 sub but sometimes I carry my Sig P239 9mm. It's not the most comfortable position but I cannot carry underarm since I don't wear button front shirts and going either under or through my collar is not easy for me either.
Old 11-29-2012, 7:28 AM

I'm no girl, but I came across this a while ago, and thought it was awesome. I wish there was a guy version of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

She also has other review videos of individual holster brand/models
Old 11-29-2012, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

My wife has a hard time, so she uses a CCW purse, I/she know(s) its not the best, but living in the desert and her shape makes it hard otherwise.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 11-29-2012, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

My wife can fit a small revolver in the small of her back, it is as if she has a little cutout just for a gun!
Old 11-29-2012, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on what you wear. I would recommend a a Crossbreed IWB holster at the 4-4:30ish position.
Super comfy and well concealed.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 11-29-2012, 7:07 PM

I'm female, 5'4 (ok maybe I'm a quarter inch shorter) and lucky enough to now live in a shall issue state after having moved here from a CA "maybe if you contribute enough to my re election campaign I might give you a LTC" county.

So I love my glocks, but I have a short body. So it's very hard to find a good way to conceal. Best so far I've found is a 4'clock IWB and that IWB holster I use is Old Faithful holster kits. I have found my two favorite carries the 19 and 26 are both easy to conceal and I actually prefer the larger 19.

I've tried OWB and there is just no way. I've got to use the inside of shorts or pants to help give me the length needed to conceal.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-29-2012, 7:42 PM

I share your frustration! I have recently been purse-carrying because I don't feel well-concealed with my crossbred iwb. However, I think that's due to my clothing choices. If I updated my wardrobe with more sweaters that fit loose (especially now that it's winter), I'm sure I'd be fine with the IWB. But, for now, my M&P sticks out a little too much.
Old 11-29-2012, 8:15 PM

I should add that I am 5'1"(on a good day) and about 180lbs so it limits me pretty well. I do have a CCW in CA(lucky enough that I live in a county that allows them without campaign contributions or my first born, but on some days I may have given him up LOL) and even though I use the belly band, it is by no means an "ideal" way to carry. I don't wear belts with my jeans so that leaves out a lot of options.
Old 11-29-2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
My wife can fit a small revolver in the small of her back, it is as if she has a little cutout just for a gun!
I have that same little nook in the small of my back, and that's my plan whenever I get through the dang CCW process.

I know that it's risky to my back if I fall, but short of a shoulder harness, I can't make other options work to my satisfaction.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ladies (and man). It looks like I'll have to stick to IWB, at least until I can get to a gun show sometime. I just don't want to spend $70 on holsters anymore unless they really fit my need.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername View Post
Thanks for the suggestions ladies (and man). It looks like I'll have to stick to IWB, at least until I can get to a gun show sometime. I just don't want to spend $70 on holsters anymore unless they really fit my need.
Actually, if you look, there were at least 4 guys who responded to your question for "ladies" LOL Happens all the time in the Ladies Forum.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Black pants, without a doubt
Old 12-01-2012, 1:08 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And see Kathy Jackson at http://www.corneredcat.com/, especially http://www.corneredcat.com/article/p...ionable-woman/ and http://www.corneredcat.com/article/h...de-this-thing/

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-01-2012 at 1:10 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 1:39 PM

Cornered Cat is just the best source for women shooters I can name. Except here, of course...
Old 12-03-2012, 2:50 PM

Depends on what I wear, but usually when not at work, or in home, I use CrossB and RavenC holsters to conceal, but I always dress to conceal, I dress around my guns. I am pretty short too :P and curvy because I have booty and boobs, but super smart waist. So often times good option I find, is the VGuard from Raven, very good imo.

As to what someone ^ said about being in desert and bag carrying due to spouse shape and etc. Its ok better to carry in some way then not at all, and sometimes I have to carry in a bag as well, simply because I have to wear a short or such that may not acc raven concealment :P

For when running, I've been using a HillsPeople chest rig, uses a vanguard to retain the fire arm, also the SCOUT model allows for webbing, so I usually have london bridge trading co pistol pouches in front, to hold reloads, a light, and a small first aid kit, I usually carry a fair amount of kit on me when I run, or when I am just out in general so cc along with other essentials for me, isn't a problem. Just have to dress appropriately and be of the mindset. Remember CC isn't something to take lightly, isn't just for protection.

Be aware of printing, or clothing lift, bag carry may not be an ideal carry option but if you have a cinched and secured bag against your body, your weapon is very very concealed lol. I have a few custom bags I've had made to conceal my weapon when I am out at something more formal. I use a Filsons bag and a LV bag for example, I have had then restitched and done, to hold pouches for magazines, as well secure my fire arm...

You dont have to wear/carry an uber tactical screaming webbing covered bag like Maxpedition or the undercover supercop 5.11 stuff. Anyways have a good one~
Old 12-10-2012, 7:57 AM

If I am wearing pants at all, I always wear it on my ankle. I am right handed, so inside left ankle. I have a few different holsters for different guns, but I have recently aquired a new holster I love. I have it for ankle, thigh, and waist. I also have a shoulder holster for my business suits.
The key is to find what works, then practice drawing from that carry 100's of time until it is 2nd nature.
For me, the ankle draw allows me to carry a larger gun, and if in a confrontation, the natural action of drawing the weapon puts you in a safer position: presenting a smaller target.
Here is a link to the company that makes my new holsters. There is a discount for LEOs. they are SO COMFY.
www.lanbec.com Andre's Holsters I deal with Chuck Limanni.

Vermont: the state with no gun laws and the third lowest crime rate. Huh.
Old 12-27-2012, 8:49 PM

I carry a 380 diamondback in flashbang and most other times I carry in a iwb, for 45 and nine
Old 12-29-2012, 9:13 PM

Have you tried the pin up collection from the flash bang maker she has a lot of great holsters. Also look on youtube search OOTD ccw women. There are few ladies who show you different ways to carry with different ladies clothes. These ladies caryy many different weapons as far as size goes as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM

I'm wondering about an ankle holster. I live in sunny Sacramento, and IWB sounds unappealing and maybe impossible for me in summer. I do wear jeans in summer though.

I have very narrow ankles and I'm wondering if ankle holsters come small enough for women. Is a size 'small' made for a guy's ankle or do they really fit us? Can they be adjusted easily? Does any manufacturer list them in inches ("fits ankes 10"-16" around).

New topic:

I'm considering a Galco SkyOps holster when my CCW comes through. Do any of you women have one? Opinions? (Guys, we love you but this question is not for you).
Old 01-13-2013, 6:26 AM

My wife uses the Flashbang holster which miounts in the middle of her bra. She carries a Springfield XD subcompact (a bit larger / heavier than a Glock 27), and you can't even tell she is wearing it. She says it is comfortable, easy to draw, and doesn't need to worry about carrying a purse or wearinga belt all the time.

http://flashbangholster.com/

Have a nice day!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 AM

I'm more concerned with the carrying for larger women.

Not gonna lie. Short and fat. We're looking at 5' 4" and 250. I have trouble with my SI joint so lower back likely isn't going to be an option. Good news is, I wear hoodies year round.
Old 01-20-2013, 8:55 PM

I'm short and fat too Sakiri and I carry in front at about 11 o'clock for crossdraw in a deep conceal holster (like this one http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/9...82456191_o.jpg) My chub covers the jut of my Glock 27 pretty well and it REALLY isn't obvious as long as my shirt isn't form fitting.
Old 01-21-2013, 1:22 AM

Custom Dan Wesson Valor
Old 01-21-2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post
+6 trillion
Old 01-21-2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
PLUS

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 8:21 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

to the male respondents:

welcome to the LADIES FORUM created to avoid posts requesting pictures which is usually a sign of "leg humping". you are welcome to participate here but Mr K, the owner of this website created the Ladies Forum to get away from the testosterone fueled threads/posts evident in other calguns forum areas.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-21-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Oh for Goddess' sake ! Pictures of WHAT?

Little boys, go home, you mommies are calling you!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I'm wondering about an ankle holster. I live in sunny Sacramento, and IWB sounds unappealing and maybe impossible for me in summer. I do wear jeans in summer though.

I have very narrow ankles and I'm wondering if ankle holsters come small enough for women. Is a size 'small' made for a guy's ankle or do they really fit us? Can they be adjusted easily? Does any manufacturer list them in inches ("fits ankes 10"-16" around).

New topic:

I'm considering a Galco SkyOps holster when my CCW comes through. Do any of you women have one? Opinions? (Guys, we love you but this question is not for you).

I'll break protocol to offer some constructive tips.

Based on my experience w/concealed carry, i'd skip ankle carry entirely. The problem is that your pants have to be sized JUST RIGHT in order to hide the bulk of the gun+holster. That's bad enough, but the dealbreaker is that you have to be paranoid about how you sit.

Nearly every pair of pants I wear rides up a little bit as I sit down, so more of the ankle is exposed. I've got big manly ankles, yet im certain any leg rig would be discovered in a hurry as soon as I took a seat. I notice a lot of women like to cross their legs as they sit, which is profoundly uncomfortable to me for obvious reasons;that will expose even more of your ankles, which naturally ruins concealment.

Add in the fact that drawing from the ankle is very awkward in a life & death situation, and i'd sooner consider off body carry before going that route.

Word of advice-consider shoulder holsters. Us guys don't have many options for cover garments , and we'll get strange looks if we're wearing suits and sport coats all the time. You ladies have so many outerwear options that shoulder carry is quite doable. You'll need a handgun with a compact barrel such as a Glock 19 or P30 so as to prevent printing, but beyond that you'll be good to go. Sitting down isn't cause for a crisis or an uncomfortable experience either.

My waistline is 30" , so IWB is doable but not the most comfortable setup for me. My perfect carry method would be shoulder rigs but alas, a guy who keeps his jacket on all the time stands out to his friends.

Hopefully the women here can forgive my breach of "the rules" this one time.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

Silver, you've always been welcome here!
you offer good info.
AND YOU DON'T LEG HUMP, ASK FOR PICTURES, MAKE INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS, ETC.
the women of the Ladies Forum like it when manly men participate: being a manly man means not being a "richard"....and you've never been one of those.

good things to think about re the ankle holster. i would think that winter time wearing an Ugg type boot might help but it might not.....
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-21-2013, 1:16 PM

My (admittedly limited) experience is what Silver said - ankle carry sounds like a good idea in theory but is hard to do in practice.

When my county finally gets its head out of its you-know-where about CCW permits - and I choose to believe it's a matter of "when" rather than "if" - I'll be looking at IWB carry when my daily wardrobe supports it and purse carry otherwise. I don't have even one garment in my wardrobe that would provide both effective concealment of an ankle holster and draw time short enough to matter in a self defense situation. In both of my prior tangles with predators, any holster that took more than a couple of seconds to draw from would have been too slow to help me.

Tammy
http://www.momwithagun.com/

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Im pondering OWB myself, partially due to my weight. Because of said weight I wear zippered hoodies that cover my butt year round anyways....
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Please see my post on needing guinea pigs for a new holster. The logistics and marketing of an undergarment(snap crotch) which makes it unable to be be resold, again, due to hygienic codes but I have given a blue print on how to make and for a short(5'1", 200lbd, round woman, I had to have a better way to carry. Take a look ans see i you like or have any questions. Not selling the idea, just trying to help other women who also need to conceal.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Here is the link to my post. Mind you, I AM NOT selling this and if you want to make one of your own, I will walk you though it. I't was like a few hours and it was done. I know have 4 of them

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=659301
Old 01-30-2013, 8:45 PM

My wife carry her LCP in appendix area using the kydex holster i made for LCP. She said that is where the most comfortable place for her to carry. If she wear tights dress, she put the LCP in her purse. I'll post a pic (of the holster :-P) later after work.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:45 PM

CCW is not allowed in Alameda County. Up in WA when visiting family I wear an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig or a calf/boot holster if wearing skirts to a formal event. Thigh is impossible to find something comfortable in plus size that I am not fussing with all day long.
1951 Ruger Mark I .22LR
ISSC M2 .22LR (teaching pistol for Pink Pistols)

Personal and Portfolio www.desdemmonna.com
Requiem Rose Designs www.requiemrose.com
Founder/Instruction and Range Safety Coordinator www.oaklandpinkpistols.org
Manager Ansambl Luython http://www.luython.com/
Old 03-09-2013, 9:13 PM

CCW is statewide with restrictions for certain areas such as federal buildings, schools, etc. It is not unlawful to carry in Alameda County if one possess a valid CCW.